CoronaKid

quote:
Originally posted by jasonhuber:

quote:
Originally posted by LoneHowler:

HMM Nerdy or not, I'm sertanly not a steriotypical nerd,

1: it's hard to call a six foot female nerdy

2: it's even harder to call a airport security officer nerdy

3: I'm the outdoors type I grew up in the mountains and love the silence only deep forest can produce

4: Athough I love high tec toys, I don't know every detail about them, how they were proggramed, etc

5: I may have a pale complection but that's because I work night shift

6: When I'm not holding my GPS it's clipped to my belt

No I don't think the sport itself is nerdy it's how you go about it

More to see, More to do

1. Its easy on the net - Nerd

2. Nerd

3. Cool

4. Knowing that makes you a geek as well as a nerd

5. Nerd

6. I assume next to your cellphone and at least one pager - NERD icon_smile.gif

I took a poll around work here and we are all nerds. Or at least we are participating in a nerdy activity!

Snikers ok I am some what nerdish but I dislike my cell phone and often leave it at home, I do not own a pager, I got enough anoying beeping things at work withought adding that to my arsenol. In high school I was more the angry loner than nerd. and MY SUV's Trunk is full of camping gear, rustic stuff tent, axes, etc.

however rustic I am I'm still somewhat nerdish. but this summer when the freezing rain came down while I was tenting I did not retreet to my nice warm suv I toughed it out in the tent.

Oh one last thing I'm not insulted but I love a good argument

More to see, More to do

My friends, co-workers, family, etc., etc., etc. have been calling me a nerd (among other things) for years - geocaching is just something new for them to target this 'accolade' on...

I think it's cool - those who think it's nerd-y definately don't know what they are missing!

quote:

What about using my sextant?

Three things come to mind...

How would you find the horizon on land?

How would you carry the conversion tables? Does a palm pilot have enough memory to hold the tables?

Make room in your back pack for the charts, dividers, parallel rules, straight edge and other such assorted navigation gear.

Fair winds, Capn Skully

quote:
Originally posted by LoneHowler:

HMM Nerdy or not, I'm sertanly not a steriotypical nerd,

1: it's hard to call a six foot female nerdy

2: it's even harder to call a airport security officer nerdy

3: I'm the outdoors type I grew up in the mountains and love the silence only deep forest can produce

4: Athough I love high tec toys, I don't know every detail about them, how they were proggramed, etc

5: I may have a pale complection but that's because I work night shift

6: When I'm not holding my GPS it's clipped to my belt

No I don't think the sport itself is nerdy it's how you go about it

More to see, More to do

I guess I am a NERD then, I wear the lanyard around my neck. When I carried tools for a living I carried my tools in an electricans pouch and belt. I never wore it around my waist, doing so was considered NERDY. Plus it is hard to run from a gas leak or spill wearing 10lbs of tools on one hip. I carried my tool belt over one shoulder so I could easily throw it down to run!

A six foot lady! I would call her anything she wants me too. Especially Yes Maam!, in my best southern gentleman accent!

Fair winds, Capn Skully

Quote:

Now, the high school "jocks" are all fat, in dead end jobs....and divorced ten times!

Nerds rule! Just ask Bill Gates!!

LOL - Yep, I am a Geocaching NERD!!!!!!!!

Hear, hear.

I have:

Handspring Visor, with Magellan Attachment+

Cellphone+

Digital Camera+

Fast computer+

DSL=

GEEK!!!!!

In fact, I bought the GPS attachment and really didn't know what I was going to do with it except say, "here I am!" icon_wink.gif Then one day a friend shows me the www.geocaching.com site. I take my girlfriend and son out in the woods to go look for 'treasure'. I can just about guess what she was thinking...... "My boyfriend is a geek!" Now she surfs www.geocaching.com , www.wi-geocaching.com all the time and has an Etrex (basic) of her own.

I've created a monster!!!!! icon_wink.gif

WISearchers

P.S.: You are nerd/geek if you wear any clothing from geocaching.com or your local geocaching association...I have a Wisconsin Geocaching Association shirt....and I'm proud.. :)

Have GPSr, will travel.

I think we have established that the sport is quazi nerdy. athough it boders on nerdisness the fact that it is a outdoor sport drops the nerd factor consederably.

come to think about it what I said sounded nerdish. I'll think I'll go to the wilderness to dumb down some,

Fire good meat on stick over fire better. white gooey thing on stick over fire with choclete and graham best

More to see, More to do

Nerdy things turn into cool things as long as there is some sort of high tech gadget as the driving force. I like the fact I am taking these nerdy hikes in these nerdy parks looking for these nerdy caches. Beats sitting on that cool couch all the time gaining some more devastingly cool weight I do not need.

Wags, Russ & Erin

One of my co-workers discovered that I was into geocaching. The quoted response was this: "Oh my God, you aren't into that... are you?" Gee, do you detect a bit of disapproval or is it just me?

Uh.. yeah.. and frankly I enjoy it much more than hanging out in the local coffee shop discussing the latest trendy bands, clothes and a big fat cup of mocha-choca-latte stuff. I don't care if geocaching makes me look nerdy, outdoorsy, or whatever. I like it, i have fun doing it and anyone who has a problem with geocaching can kiss my GPS! icon_biggrin.gif

"Be who you are and say how you feel because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind" - Dr. Seuss

I dont think so, because nerds dont do anything but sit at home. This sport is alternative, just like soy milk or grunge music. Nerds couldn't run marathons in college or cross-country in high-school, so lay off. When I go hunting a cache I can pretend I became an Army Ranger or something.

What do you care what others think anyway.

Support your local jerk.

I tried to wear the lanyard around my neck, but then I can't see the darned screen even if I hold it as far away as the lanyard will go. I guess that makes me an OLD nerd.

I was also a little disappointed when my wife said "Absolutely NOT! Too Nerdy!" when I tried to put that big geocaching.com decal in our car window.

Usually I just lurk (or ignore) the forums and just read what CR writes every once in a while. Ya'll decide:

CR--

--Thinks an outrageous pair of red suspenders would be ok to wear in public because it would help hold up his fanny pack.

--Has so many things clipped to his belt that when he unbuckles, the belt hits the floor like a ton of bricks.

--Spends as much time on the forums as in the woods (or more).

--Has 4 computers, Cable modem, PDA, and a bunch of other stuff with cords and wires that are a mystery to me.

--Cannot resist any kind of caribeener or clippy device found in a cache.

--Fixes all of our digital and computer problems (even knows how to solder).

While I--

--Can't wait to get out there.

--Like the cache better if we have to get dirty, scratched or wet.

--Only recently learned how to reboot.

--Won't let him wear the suspenders.

We really make a good team, and my geocaching days would be over without him. So, you see, you don't have to be a nerd to cache, you just have to have one as your partner!

Sissy

72057_2000.gif

I took a windshield suction RAM mount and suction it to my forehead. Thereby giving me, when RAM mount is adjusted properly, a GPSr HUD (Heads Up Display) unit. Now how cool do you think people would think you were, if you used a GPSr HUD unit on your Geocaching outings. All I know is you can't begin to imagine the awestruck looks I get as I exit my car, gear-up, and purposefully stride off into the woods. The common folk, milling about in the parking lot, are left speechless and with their mouths gaping icon_eek.gificon_eek.gificon_eek.gif. I have even had some so impressed that they immediately grab their cell phones to share with their friends, what they have just been graced with having been witness to.

Other benefits of this setup include:

- handsfree usage of GPSr

- great reception in heavy bush

- no annoying cords around the neck

- doesn't allow the GPSr to swing out and whack your kids in the head when you bend over to talk to them

- helps maintain good center of gravity/balance

- co-workers are very impressed by the large hicky you are sporting the next day, and you soon become well known and the talk of the office.

Geocaching...what a great life enriching, self empowering hobby I have become part of.

GPSr's...A step in the right direction!

Could be All, some, or none of that.

Some people are very knowledgeable about the technology, and there are some people that hack into the devices. There are some people that do geocaching, just to be able to use high tech devices, and some people that have these devices just for getting out and seeing new places in the outdoors.

Geek/Nerdy: Somebody that has 2 or more GPS units, especially in geocaching.

Just imagine if there was a kit, that made an etrex look like a flip-phone.

Just imagine if a pair of gps units could communicate with each other, to figure out how far apart each other is, and compare that with each units calculation of it's position from the satellites. Then your gps can tell you if you or your friend is closer to the cache.

Always different...Hit refresh

maze?90+35+4+1+0+0+0+0+255+255+255

Yeah, I'm probably a nerd.

I don't wear a pocket protector, but my car has a lot of antennas on it, my watch has a lot of buttons and hands, my M515 palm never leaves my side, and I own (at last count) 5 GPS units. There are four computers running in my house, one of which is a LINUX-based server, and yes, I have a Tivo and can't remember what life was like without one.

So, yup, sounds like I'm a nerd. Luckily, my wife likes nerds, and even more luckily, in this technologically changing world, nerds are in quite high demand.

There are worse things to be than a nerd. If someone called me French, I'd REALLY be offended! icon_smile.gif

--

Scott Johnson (ScottJ)

quote:
Originally posted by GOT GPS?:

Just imagine if a pair of gps units could communicate with each other, to figure out how far apart each other is, and compare that with each units calculation of it's position from the satellites. Then your gps can tell you if you or your friend is closer to the cache.

Always different...Hit refresh

http://www.flint.umich.edu/cgi-bin/maze?90+35+4+1+0+0+0+0+255+255+255

Hate to tell you this but there is a GPS unit that can comunicate location to another of the same unit

The Rino

More to see, More to do

quote:
Originally posted by jroysdon:

I personally prefer the term "geek" over "nerd." "Nerds" to me are the folks with pocket protectors and taped up glasses. Yeah, I taped my glasses once, but I got them fixed the next day...

I don't mind being called a computer/linux/tivo/geocaching geek at all. I've got the t-shirts and hats to prove the first 3.

Actually, I really like the term "http://www.catb.org/~esr/jargon/jargon.html#hacker." Problem is the word has such a bad rap in everyone's mind, except those "in the know."

Jason Roysdon

http://jason.roysdon.net/

When it boils down to it, a 'hacker' is anyone who takes it upon themselves to take something and achieve a better result by modifying to gain extra performance.

I love to go camping, I take a 3500 watt generator with me and my system in fact when my friend goes we break out a cat 5 cable and we are networked. We also take a portable sat dish along and watch pay per view movies now that is Nerdy! I just wish they had internet access in the campground darn.

before someone acknowledged that this is merely an expression of the inner child in that all we seek is buried treasure.

and yeah, it's an attempt to get the nerd the hell outside; the nerd desparately needs it. sallow complexion, and all.

oh, and lonehowler...

quote:
you said:

I think we have established that the sport is quazi nerdy. athough it boders on nerdisness the fact that it is a outdoor sport drops the nerd factor consederably.

come to think about it what I said sounded nerdish. I'll think I'll go to the wilderness to dumb down some,

Fire good meat on stick over fire better. white gooey thing on stick over fire with choclete and graham best

**evil grin**

what was that cell number, again?

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

hey... what's that smell?

[This message was edited by smashsquatch on March 07, 2003 at 11:32 PM.]

NERRRRRDS!!!

Hey, Nerds are smart, resourceful, self-reliant, and most importantly they are not followers. I'm a Nerd...

I also like to hunt, fish, build Baja Bugs, etc. etc.

Oh by the way, I'm in the Army too. Good thing they let Nerds into the Armed Forces.

Team Smoke

Keep your powder dry...

You know, I used to try to deny my nerdy side. I figured it was hindering my ability to pick up chicks, making me a target for the bullies, etc. But a few years ago, I decided to just lay down and wallow in nerddom, and it has done nothing but made my life better. I am a much happier person, and I have a lot more quality friends out of the deal. So...who cares if it is nerdy, it doesn't matter what anyone else thinks anyway, if it makes ya happy that is all that matter. Screw all the doubters and the finger pointers, I can garauntee you they go home and cry themselves to sleep at night icon_wink.gif.

Nerd:

Word History: The word nerd, undefined but illustrated, first appeared in 1950 in Dr. Seuss's If I Ran the Zoo: “And then, just to show them, I'll sail to Ka-Troo And Bring Back an It-Kutch a Preep and a Proo A Nerkle a Nerd and a Seersucker, too!” (The nerd is a small humanoid creature looking comically angry, like a thin, cross Chester A. Arthur.) Nerd next appears, with a gloss, in the February 10, 1957, issue of the Glasgow, Scotland, Sunday Mail in a regular column entitled “ABC for SQUARES”: “Nerda square, any explanation needed?” Many of the terms defined in this “ABC” are unmistakable Americanisms, such as hep, ick, and jazzy, as is the gloss “square,” the current meaning of nerd. The third appearance of nerd in print is back in the United States in 1970 in Current Slang: “Nurd [sic], someone with objectionable habits or traits.... An uninteresting person, a ‘dud.’” Authorities disagree on whether the two nerds Dr. Seuss's small creature and the teenage slang term in the Glasgow Sunday Mailare the same word. Some experts claim there is no semantic connection and the identity of the words is fortuitous. Others maintain that Dr. Seuss is the true originator of nerd and that the word nerd (“comically unpleasant creature”) was picked up by the five- and six-year-olds of 1950 and passed on to their older siblings, who by 1957, as teenagers, had restricted and specified the meaning to the most comically obnoxious creature of their own class, a “square.”

Current Defined:

nerd also nurd ( P ) Pronunciation Key (nûrd)

n. Slang

A foolish, inept, or unattractive person.

A person who is single-minded or accomplished in scientific or technical pursuits but is felt to be socially inept.

With the "facts" and truth about what "nerd" means shown above, (emphasis on the last section: "but is felt to be socially inept") I would have to disagree.

Although the majority of cachers are probably technical in thought and mind, I do not believe that most of us are "socially inept".

I suspect that what the thread creator here was really meaning was "intellectual", not "nerd"

as defined here:

=====================

in·tel·lec·tu·al ( P ) Pronunciation Key (ntl-kch-l)

adj.

Of or relating to the intellect.

Rational rather than emotional.

Appealing to or engaging the intellect: an intellectual book; an intellectual problem.

Having or showing intellect, especially to a high degree. See Synonyms at intelligent.

Given to activities or pursuits that require exercise of the intellect.

and in the Thesaurus:

=====================

Entry: intellectual

Function: noun

Definition: smart person

Synonyms: Brahmin, Einstein, academic, academician, avant-garde, beard, big think, bluestocking, brain, braintruster, conehead, doctor, double dome, egghead, genius, gray matter, highbrow, illuminati, intelligentsia, ivory dome, literati, longhair, nerd, philosopher, pointyhead, pundit, scholar, skull, thinker, whiz, wig, wizard

Concept: education entity

Source: Roget's Interactive Thesaurus, First Edition (v 1.0.0)

Copyright © 2003 by Lexico Publishing Group, LLC. All rights reserved.

Please send money to the majicman relief fund icon_wink.gif

--majicman

quote:
Originally posted by OlyHippy:

Do you care what people think?

I find that ofttimes people use words incorrectly, and err in their thinking due to misunderstanding what they are saying to others.

If you do not know what you say, you can not say what you mean.

--majicman