Taking Stuff From Your Own Cache

jhwf44

I was wondering if it's ok to take things from your own cache that someone put in. I mean is it ok as long as you exchange something of equal value, or should you never take something from your own cache? I was wondering, becuase I just placed my first cache today, and I was wondering, if something interesting popped up, if I could take it, or because I'm the owner not ever exchange anything. Thanks for any advice.

Well I've done it and I know a few others who have done it. I think once things are left out in a cache it's available for whoever comes along. I even had someone leave a gift for me in one of my caches.

So use your own judgement and if you get flack from people for doing it. Then just keep it to yourself *S*.

Have fun and don't worry too much. It's fun!!!

Never Squat With Yer Spurs On

Yes, its yours...so why not.

I also remove stuff when it gets full. I always use those items when I visit another cache. Except for the really cool ceramic coffee mug somebody left once icon_biggrin.gif I use that one every day now!

Smoochnme

goldfish.gif

"When your learning to take, the path at your pace... every road is worth your while"

Yes, its yours...so why not.

I also remove stuff when it gets full. I always use those items when I visit another cache. Except for the really cool ceramic coffee mug somebody left once icon_biggrin.gif I use that one every day now!

Smoochnme

goldfish.gif

"When your learning to take, the path at your pace... every road is worth your while"

I've done it as well ... primarily to thin out a "too full" cache ... then I just place the stuff in other caches that I find.

----------------------------------------------------------------

Co-founder of the "NC/VA GEO-HOG ASSOCIATION"

... when you absolutely have to find it first!

Someone made the reference that taking the good stuff will degrade a cache even faster. True. But, when I first started the sport I was so excited when a local's signature item appeared in my cache that I rushed to get it. I have since encountered the sig item in other caches icon_redface.gif

I guess I am trying to say that if you stay active in the sport long enough you'll be able to let the really cool stuff sit in your own cache(s) for others to take. In the meantime, if you go take a really cool item - just make sure to put in a really cool item icon_wink.gif

Someone made the reference that taking the good stuff will degrade a cache even faster. True. But, when I first started the sport I was so excited when a local's signature item appeared in my cache that I rushed to get it. I have since encountered the sig item in other caches icon_redface.gif

I guess I am trying to say that if you stay active in the sport long enough you'll be able to let the really cool stuff sit in your own cache(s) for others to take. In the meantime, if you go take a really cool item - just make sure to put in a really cool item icon_wink.gif

Everyone seems to skirt around it...but the bottom line is..it's your cache. You can take the whole thing if you want to.

Of all my caches i have yet to go back to one that still had the value of the items that I originally left in it.

I have left special items in caches and know that the owners have taken them. I have no problem with this at all.

I was doing a cache check one day and found a very cool silver medallion and I took it with me. I'm glad I did...a week later the entire cache was stolen. It's the only momento I have of it.

El Diablo

Everything you do in life...will impact someone,for better or for worse.

I've done it. Often it's to remove garbage, food or other inappropriate items; somtimes to make room in the cache, and on an occassion or two I found an item that I really wanted. In the latter case, I make sure to replace the item with something that might be equally interesting to someomne else.

[This message was edited by BrianSnat on July 01, 2002 at 03:15 AM.]

....others do not. Ting and I leave our calling card in the caches we find (an Ancient Roman coin). One of the cache owners saw it in our log and thought it was a neat item. Instead of raiding their own cache, they looked to see if I had left any in their area in caches they had not found yet. Sure enough, there was one and they went and got it from that cache. Who says it is not about the stuff?

Just my two Denarius.

Bear & Ting

Geocachers don't NEED to ask for directions!

I have taken things out of my caches to clean them up and make room. I have even gone after an item in my husband's cache because it was one of Fergus's chain mail items, but it was already gone. icon_razz.gif

I would like to pose the same question about travel bugs. If you know there is a bug in your cache and you are going in another direction do you go get it to help it along or let the next finder have it?

No one can make you feel inferior without your consent. E Roosevelt

I have taken things out of my caches to clean them up and make room. I have even gone after an item in my husband's cache because it was one of Fergus's chain mail items, but it was already gone. icon_razz.gif

I would like to pose the same question about travel bugs. If you know there is a bug in your cache and you are going in another direction do you go get it to help it along or let the next finder have it?

No one can make you feel inferior without your consent. E Roosevelt