Fun with toxins?

Mopar

I was just reading the logs on some of the local caches, and I came to this cache:

Top Of The Hill

Some of the logs caused me to raise an eyebrow, but what really concerned me was when I read a more indepth log Gwho (the last finder) had posted on his website.

quote:
I am can not believe someone was foolish enough to put a geocache here....

The geocache above was placed in early April, and I assumed it would be in a park setting so I went there one Saturday with my family. To enter

the area of the cache involved going thru a hole in a barbed wire fence. Ummm... isn't placing geocaches on private property illegal? This clearly

wasn't a family cache hunt, so I said I'd come back later. I finally did visit recently & it turns out it's worse then i thought. Not only is it private

property, but the property belongs to the Curtiss Wright Manufacturing Corp and it's listed as site that needs to be treated for chemical

contamination. It's one step shy of being a Superfund site, but right next door is the Industrial latex Corporation property, which is listed as a

Superfund site due to leaking barrels of PCB's. Despite the fact that where the cache is hidden appears to be safe, this is no place to be

geocaching....

There's more but I think that says alot

Illegitimus non carborundum!

Since this thread began with such a masterfully written disclosure, there really isn't much to add.

Who's going to argue that toxic waste dumps are a victim of bad publicity and that if you only took the time to get to know them you'd find that deep down inside they're not so bad.

Toxic waste dumps are like Magellan users, rotten to the core.

I suggest we use this thread for a higher purpose.

He who's oars don't quite reach the water wrote

quote:
Like I always say regarding this game / sport / pasttime / hobby / frolic:

We need to come with a suitable acronym for game - sport - pasttime - hobby (frolic is what Hippies do)

Game

Pastime

Sport that's GPS, but that might lead to confusion...somehow.

PH-GS Just add "Religion" and you get "PHRGS" which can be pronounced "Frogs"

quote:
Like I always say regarding these PHRGS:

Erik,

Sounds like you been drinkin' your own 'funky cold medina'...

How 'bout this acronym:

I really like this "RALFH" of Geocaching!

Recreational Activity

Leisure

Frolic

Hobby

Or, there is nuthin' like this "GO-ASAP" of Geocaching!

Game

Outdoor-Activity

Sport

Adventure

Pasttime

--majicman

(Always trade UP in both quantity and quality and Geocaches will be both self-sustaining and self-improving!)

quote:
Originally posted by Mopar:

who has a problem with having to climb thru a hole in a fence to tresspass on a toxic waste site to find a cache. Must be me.

+ _Illegitimus non carborundum!_

---for sbell111 - I am being serious herein---

Mopar,

I will be serious here for a minute (although it is out of character for me.)

I totally agree with you, and my previous post about location meant to imply that.

I have posted elsewhere log entries from 2 local caches, very close to one another here in beautiful Central Okrahoma, (see: http://opentopic.Groundspeak.com/0/OpenTopic?a=tpc&s=1750973553&f=3000900883&m=2840969094&r=3460979094#3460979094 )

and the point therein is that few people (IMHO) wish to cache a dump site and most people (IMHO) want to cache a beautiful park or interesting area (and I don't think weird, bizarre, dangerous or scary necessarily qualify here as "interesting".)

Here's an excerpt from the question about "Where to place a cache" thread...

--------------------------------------------------

Most "good" / "bad" comments I have seen regarding various caches were comments on... (you guessed it!) location.

A couple of examples:

---Excerpts from local cache log's I've seen---

====================

"Wow, I didn't know this beautiful little park was here! Thanks for pointing it out. "

====================

-or-

====================

"Geez, what stupid kind of cache is this! Just what I wanted to see after a nice long hike was a trash dump! (Why do people hide caches like this??!!)"

====================

Note: both of these caches are local to me, and both are about as easy to find, and both contain about the same stuff. In fact, they are VERY close to each other!

The difference? - LOCATION!

'Nuff said!

--majicman

---for sbell111 - I have ceased being serious hereafter---

--majicman

(Always trade UP in both quantity and quality and Geocaches will be both self-sustaining and self-improving!)