geocaching writeup in backpacker mag

just got my may issue of backpacker magazine, and on page 21 there's a small writeup "games some people play in the woods" comparing orienteering, geocaching, and letterboxing. under geocaching, "the catch: serious techno-nerd quotient. and Leave No Trace purists need not apply."

icon_biggrin.gif

"i am but mad north-nothwest...when the wind is southerly, i know a hawk from a handsaw."

yup, i agree. i found it slightly annoying, as i'm always carrying out rubbish when caching. but, hey, i'm not really a technogeek, either...

the only "catch" listed for letterboxing is "people who use store-bought stamps are considered losers."

peace

"i am but mad north-nothwest...when the wind is southerly, i know a hawk from a handsaw."

quote:
Leave No Trace purists need not apply

There is no such thing as "leave no trace". We all leave a trace, just by being outside. The best anyone can do is work to minimize thier trace and many geocachers successfully do so. So I see that comment as extremely unfair.

"It has been my experience that folks who have no vices have very few virtues" -Abraham Lincoln

It's unfortunate, but true that many people/organizations view geocaching as a high impact activity. I was recently denied permission to place a cache in a Nature Conservancy preserve, becuase of concerns about "trampling" I guess they don't factor in the good effects of geocachers visiting these areas, ie litter cleanup and increased opportunities for membership and contributions.

quote:
Originally posted by Renegade Knight:

Even purists dig holes off the trail to crap in. Nothing pure in that.

=====================

Wherever you go there you are.

Actually, there are those that pack out their own crap. I wouldn't.

george

39570_500.jpg

Pedal until your legs cramp up and then pedal some more.

I wish the deer around here were considerate enough to use a hole...

Humans are tidier than most other forms of wildlife when we put our minds to it. icon_wink.gif

I think the people who argue about caching being "high impact" have no clue what they are talking about. If you look at the logs for most caches, they are lucky to get one or two visitors a week. That hardly seems like a lot of traffic.

<3)~

i actually carry out, on a regular basis, much more eeeeevil rubbish than i have ever littered in my life.

eh, whatever. i do think it's funny that that particular drawback was only written up for caching, and not letterboxing et al.

(edit, evil spellfairies)

peace

quote:
Originally posted by georgeandmary:

quote:
Originally posted by Renegade Knight:

Even purists dig holes off the trail to crap in. Nothing pure in that.

=====================

Actually, there are those that pack out their own crap. I wouldn't.

george

http://img.Groundspeak.com/user/39570_500.jpg

Pedal until your legs cramp up and then pedal some more.

Well they did pack it in to the area, icon_smile.gif So pack it out.

"We never seek things for themselves - what we seek is the very seeking of things."

Blaise Pascal (1623-1662)

icon_geocachingwa.gif

I get a laugh out of the "leave no trace" manifesto. There was a time when these folks preached that the propoer thing to do when you cr*p in the woods was to either pack out the TP or burn it.

Couple of those blokes were mountain biking near the Seven Devils wilderness here in Idaho, when one decides to take a dump. Being a good enviro-yuppie, but having no diaper bag, he set the TP on fire. The fire started to spread, so he and his partner dutifully stomped it out. They even reported their special effort to the nearest fire lookout.

By then, though, the fire they thought they had killed (which had gone underground)had spread, resulting in one of the most devestating fires in the region.

Then there's the back-country airstrips in "designated wilderness" areas. Leave no trace?

Some of these guys only *think* their feet never touch the ground.

quote:
Originally posted by StarshipTrooper:

I get a laugh out of the "leave no trace" manifesto. There was a time when these folks preached that the propoer thing to do when you cr*p in the woods was to either pack out the TP or burn it.

Actually, in that very issue of Backpacker there is a discussion on whether TP should be used. One person advocated using a rock.

The day I have to give up my TP and use a rock is the day I stop backpacking.

quote:
Originally posted by Team GPSaxophone:

Animals cr@p in the woods...so can we

http://mywebpages.comcast.net/ihazeltine/bandbass.gif

We are a product of nature. Thus whatever we do is by definition as "Nature Intended It" to borrow a catch phrase.

As for dumping in the woods...I sure ain't packing it out. That's how diseases spread. SARS spread this way and with plumbing to boot(latest report). Last thing I want is my hiking buddy packing out a concealed weapon.

=====================