Newbie Sniping...?

I have taken a long break from the forums for several reasons. Cheif among them, was the annoying people in the forums and the silly opinions they held. I was geocaching for a year before i began posting in the forums, and, about a year later, i stopped. I realized that, in reality, i didn't care what people think about geocaching. One of the great things about this game is i can, in reality play it any way I want to. I dont need anyone to keep track of my find count, or how many bugs i find, or how many benchmarks I do, etc.

The big issue was that, the snipping wasn't just for newbies, it was one big fire fight. The problem of newbie sniping is a bit different, however. The reality is that people join geocaching, and instead of reading the forums and searching for topics and educating themselves by just sitting back and reading some of what cachers who have been playing the game for a while have to say, they post their opinions, thoughts and ideas after geocaching for a total of five minutes. The problem with this is several fold. First, 9 times out of 10 the idea has been posted, hashed out, reposted, and re hashed several times. Second, newbies post these ideas, thoughts and opinions as if they should be taken as some gospel truth. Third, They get seriously offended when someone tell them something like, "been there, done that and got the t-shirt". Finally, after all this, the newbie posts about how he is getting sniped and how he deserves some respect and on and on and on for 300 something times in a month. And you wonder why you get sniped.

At first, i thought it was UMC coming out of retirement, then i realized that maybe someone just wants to get their website out there with some free forum advertising. How annoying. Now, i will go back into self imposed forum exile.

danny

SR and dboggny.

quote:
Originally posted by Woodsters Outdoors:

quote:
Originally posted by Criminal:

If they’re new to geocaching I’ll welcome them either before or after whatever stomping they may need. icon_biggrin.gif

Am I welcome now? It's after....lol icon_biggrin.gif

Brian Wood

Woodsters Outdoors

http://www.woodsters.com

You were always welcome in my book. I would never say “it’s my way or the highway”, sometimes people simply see things differently. I am very open to the concept of agreeing to disagree. When I think I’m right about something, I don’t pussyfoot around, I’ll say so. Nonetheless, a person with a different viewpoint is not my enemy, merely someone who has different life experiences. Everybody gets their opinion from somewhere or someone, usually from past experiences. Too often people spout the party line (geocaching damages the environment, for example) without really giving it much thought. Then me or some other frequent poster b1tch-slaps them with some pseudo-wisdom we had handy, and they see the light (or they don’t…eh, so what, right?). Someday I may run into someone I’ve disagreed with here in the forums and I would greet and welcome them the same as someone who’s smart enough to see things my way. (Unless they’re coming at me in a full sprint!) icon_wink.gif

http://fp1.centurytel.net/Criminal_Page/

quote:
Originally posted by sranddboggny.us:

I have taken a long break from the forums for several reasons.

Who are you really, and what have you done with DogBoney?

Tae-Kwon-Leap is not a path to a door, but a road leading forever towards the horizon.

I discovered the forums about a month after I started caching. I have very little experience with computers, and this is the first forum I've ever participated in. In fact, geocaching, and the people that participate in this forum, have taught me most of what I know about computers and the internet in general. I have had some disagreements with cachers in the forums (like anyone), and have managed to avoid taking anything personal. If I have a question, and I don't like the response, rather than fight about it, I take the time to consider why the other person has the opinion they do. In fact, I've discovered that most people care a lot less about other's opinions, and a lot more about their character. Wait 'till you meet some cachers in person. It's like a group of old friends, everyone has a love of technology and the outdoors in common.

As to Markwelling, It saves the person the time of looking it up themselves. I don't consider it rude at all.

If you have an idea, and you want to know what other cachers think about it, ask. Be prepared for differing opinions. Don't take them personally. Respect the opinions of the "Old Timers", you can learn a lot, I know I have.

eyes.GIF

"Chock full of essential vitamins and waypoints"

I'm thinking that maybe another category in the forums for off-topic postings wouldn't be such a bad idea after all. Someone brought this up long ago, but it was dismissed.

Now I'm thinking it might keep the general area free from off-topic posts and any flaming, bashing, etc. could be kept in the new area.

After getting the flaming and bashing out of your system, you could come back to the on-topic area and help out some of the newbies.

quote:

Woodster wrote:

Am I welcome now? It's after....lol

Hey, there have been a number of people who came to these forums, guns ablazing, full of "great ideas" and strong opinions. UMC had some tough times early on, I did and so did a number of others. Once we relaxed and realized that we should learn a bit about the sport and the people who post here, we (and our ideas) were more readily accepted (though Mr. Snazz still hates my stinkin' guts and I spit on the ground he crawls on).

It's OK to have an opinion about everything (heck, I have over 3400 posts), but try to make sure your opinion is an educated one, or at the very least, funny.

"Give a man a fish, he'll eat for a day. Teach a man to fish, he'll sit in a boat and drink beer all day" - Dave Barry

quote:
I think some of the sniping is from frustrated Garmin users who are losing their sat. signal under tree cover and taking it out on this forum.

I don't seem to have that problem with my Vista.

Besides, I heard somwhere that Mopar is a Maggie user.

"Give a man a fish, he'll eat for a day. Teach a man to fish, he'll sit in a boat and drink beer all day" - Dave Barry

quote:
Originally posted by BrianSnat:

I don't seem to have that problem with my Vista.

Besides, I heard somwhere that Mopar is a Maggie user.

Hey, I'm bi!

I use both a maggie and a garmin, and FWIW, they BOTH have quad-helix antennas.

Tae-Kwon-Leap is not a path to a door, but a road leading forever towards the horizon.

quote:
Originally posted by T10X:

I think some of the sniping is from frustrated Garmin users who are losing their sat. signal under tree cover and taking it out on this forum.

Don't worry. You are losing your signal too. Your Magellan just doesn't bother to let you know. Whereas a Garmin will tell you repeatedly and often.

Well... I thought I would stay out of this, but then got crazy and decided to chime in. When I was new, I read the posts and looked for answers to my questions before posting. So,

I didn't get into any trouble. BUT, I don't like the idea of flaming people who don't think to search for answers first. OR, I think it is good to a least be polite about it.

Now I'm not so new, but still new enough to know not to go nuts spouting off opinions about certain things if I can't back them with some experience! That is great for me, but some people might not be so smart and will post opinions with no experience. OK, so what? Tease them a little if you like, but try to be friendly! And remember that sarcasm isn't always understood when a person is reading the words on the internet. So, consider using the emoticons (not sure that is the correct term?)

As for disagreements, well those happen and often everyone involved who is level headed sees it as a freindly debate instead of getting annoyed. But some can't tell that it is freindly because it is so hard to understand emotions when all a person can sees is words on a computer screen. This goes both ways. Maybe the reader misunderstood sarcasm for serious, or maybe the poster was very frank but didn't intend hard feelings. Once in awhile, I figure that people are intentionally being nasty, but I think that is not as common as others perceive it to be.

I have seen threads get nasty when all it seemed to be initially was a friendly debate. I have also seen some topics debated in a good manner, and while people didn't agree, no one seemed to freak out or go away hating someone. Here is an example where UMC had an opinion, I disagreed, and others had opinions of their own on each side. No one got nasty and it was a lively debate. Were minds changed? Probably not. But people seemed to see each other's point of view at times and no one got nasty. Yet, some were very frank about their opinion and all it would have taken was a hot head or person misreading things to start a flame war. Hence, why people whould think before they post, whether they are being frankly honest, sarcastic, or are annoyed by something that someone else posted. Things can get misinterpreted and that can be on either side of things!

Flames happen too, I say when it does happen that it is best to respond (because it is hard not to even if not responding is really the best) but stay level headed and not feed the flames!

The point is that maybe people should pause before flaming newbies even if the newbie post is annoying. Then, if a disagreement arises later, try to be civil. Of course, I don't mean to say avoid sarcasm, hell witty responses are always fun, but I figure it is good to let a newbie get used to forum posting first so he or she will be prepared to stay calm and/or fire a witty (instead of angry) reponse back when someone disagrees, or worse, flames!

pokeanim3.gif

The day you found your first cache you became part of the group. Despite the newbie sniping, we are all Geocachers. Always keep things in perspective -- it's just a game. You found out about the guidelines the hard way, but you seemed to handle things logically and with resolve and eventually got the cache approved. You can't ask for more than that from both ends.

Now, let's go find the tupperware! icon_biggrin.gif

I love you man! Mtn-man is the greatest!!!

Now, on to Mopar - just read the "Old Timers" topic and found out you are considered still a "newbie". Hmmmmmmmmm. icon_wink.gif I think we could all have a little fun with that !!!! icon_razz.gif But, since you are so close to being an "Old Fart, oops, I mean Old Timer", I will hold back. icon_biggrin.gif

"Nice find! I must go tell Harry, Ron and Hermione."

quote:
Originally posted by GeoGryffindor:

What's that Mopar? icon_wink.gif

"Nice find! I must go tell Harry, Ron and Hermione."

Sorry, I seem to have misplaced my hearing aid and reading glasses.........

quote:

I am very open to the concept of agreeing to disagree. When I think I’m right about something, I don’t pussyfoot around, I’ll say so. Nonetheless, a person with a different viewpoint is not my enemy, merely someone who has different life experiences....Someday I may run into someone I’ve disagreed with here in the forums and I would greet and welcome them the same as someone who’s smart enough to see things my way. (Unless they’re coming at me in a full sprint!) icon_wink.gif

Were you reading my upcoming book?

While I have that philosopy more than a few tiems I've had to watch people start limbering up for that sprint. I've accumulated a few sprinters both while geocaching and while in the forums. It takes to much time and energy for me to hold a grudge. But every now and then along comes that person at a full run and I have to step to one side and let them run into the wall I could of told them about if they knew how to listen. It seems to work pretty well.

I think it’s indicative of the times in which we live. If I were to post “I hate the Beetles, in fact, I’d run a mile at full sprint just to shut off a radio that was playing a Beetles song” there would be venomous angry replies from those who can actually stomach that whiney British crooning. But I never said they weren’t good, I merely said I didn’t care for that brand of musical English bleating.

Why is it that some people get so bent out of shape when you don’t/can’t see things their way?

http://fp1.centurytel.net/Criminal_Page/

I think the forums are pretty good overall. I didn't even know about the forums for the first few months I was caching. When I finally noticed, I was a bit past the newbie level I guess -- maybe 25 finds or so. But I still made some dumb posts. Most responses were very nice. Now I try to keep up with the forums every couple days, so I'm not so out of touch.

I do think I had "unbridled enthusiasm", as Jolly mentioned. I was hooked after my first find. I couldn't wait to hide my first cache. I read the guidelines, and started working on my collection of trinkets to leave. By the time I had got everything ready, I sort of forgot the guidelines. So, when I hid my first cache in a National Park, our regional approver ("honeychile") very politely informed me that I should probably read the guidelines, and I'd have to move the cache. DOH! icon_biggrin.gif

I wondered why there were NO caches hidden in that awesome park! Heheh... so, I trekked back out to recover my cache the next day. I'm too embarrassed to tell you how long it took me to find my own cache (what a great hiding spot!) icon_smile.gif But I found it, and have since hidden others. I'm still hooked, and it's getting worse. I now have a room in my house dedicated to geocaching, and I've started getting my friends hooked too.

-BeachBuddies

Yes I'm lost, but at least I know my coordinates!

quote:

I think it’s indicative of the times in which we live. If I were to post “I hate the Beetles, in fact, I’d run a mile at full sprint just to shut off a radio that was playing a Beetles song” there would be venomous angry replies from those who can actually stomach that whiney British crooning. But I never said they weren’t good, I merely said I didn’t care for that brand of musical English bleating.

Why is it that some people get so bent out of shape when you don’t/can’t see things their way?

Yeah! I get the same thing when I say the GPS V sucks.

It's my damm opinion. I couldn't care less how much others love it. Conformist punks.

39197_3100.jpg

Pepper playing nice!

Mokita!