Is this just too Insane?

nikcap

My brother has placed a 5-part multi cache that is rating a 5/5. From reading his accounts of hiding and researching this cache, I've determined that it will take the typical GeoCacher 4 or 5 weeks to figure out the puzzles and find the different legs of the cache. It will also be very challenging physically.

He has asked me to post it, Reasoning: I

can't be tricked into giving up any clues if you don't know it yourself!

It will require the following: knowledge of precious metals, about 200 miles driving,

excellent swimming skills, knowledge of encryption, knowledge of civil war history,

lots and lots of climbing, orbital mechanics skills (programming skills will also help),

about $50 spending cash, GPS, a computer and several maps of the Northern Virginia area.

I think one can find the first two caches over a long day, although two

days will be a bit less tiring. Figuring where and what the key is may take some time.

It could take weeks and a number of visits to the second cache. Clues in the

message are the only way to find the key, however a lot of research will

also help. Once the key is found, a few hours in the comfort of your home, in front

of a computer should decrypt the third coordinate. It will be apparent that

the decrypted coordinate is correct once it's plotted on a map.

The third and fourth cache will require GPS to locate and should be pretty straight forward.

Although, it may well take a couple of hours to fine the actual caches. Once found, a half hour

or so on a laptop should get the next coordinate. Once found a whole lot of clues in

the message will begin to fit together.

It took my brother about 20 hours, over a 2 week period to solve the final cache location.

Anyone in the Virginia Area (or anywhere for that matter) that is interested in "beta testing" this, let me know and I'll sent you the first set of coordinates and the description page.

Hmmmmmmm,

It sounds as if your brother has a sadistic streak in him.

I like it. icon_biggrin.gif

I only wish it was closer to me.

I'll be in Virginia for a week soon. If it's posted by then I'll see if I have a chance to at least start it.

====================================

As always, the above statements are just MHO.

Hmmmmmmm,

It sounds as if your brother has a sadistic streak in him.

I like it. icon_biggrin.gif

I only wish it was closer to me.

I'll be in Virginia for a week soon. If it's posted by then I'll see if I have a chance to at least start it.

As always, the above statements are just MHO.

they will come. I think that there will be people up to the challenge. Don't expect fifty visitors to the cache, but do expect some people to have great fun with it. icon_cool.gif I think the excitement of this game is the creativity people use in placing new caches.

"Happiness is not a destination. It is a method of life."

they will come. I think that there will be people up to the challenge. Don't expect fifty visitors to the cache, but do expect some people to have great fun with it. icon_cool.gif I think the excitement of this game is the creativity people use in placing new caches.

"Happiness is not a destination. It is a method of life."

I would love to try this cache. Just curious ... apart from normal costs (gasoline, batteries, snacks, entrance fees), what is the basis of your estimate of $50 spent? I live in Northern Virginia (Reston which is better than Herndon icon_wink.gif) and have been waiting for such a cache to come along.

I would love to try this cache. Just curious ... apart from normal costs (gasoline, batteries, snacks, entrance fees), what is the basis of your estimate of $50 spent? I live in Northern Virginia (Reston which is better than Herndon icon_wink.gif) and have been waiting for such a cache to come along.

Well let's see.. it's not locationless, it's not commercial... sounds great.

I agree with McIrish, there might not be as many visitors as you might like, and more likely than not, there will be many with "couldn't find." Somebody will find it though if it is well thought out (and it sounds like it is).

About the issue of expecting few hits ... I agree. I have a cache in Virginia that required at minimum that the searcher rent a canoe (or pay a boat launch fee maybe if they own a boat). It also requires doing some research and even breaking out the protractor and a map. It also requires some driving not to mention it's in a fairly remote part of the state. It is logged about once a month at best, usually less (5 attempts in as many months ... 4 finds, 1 failure). I don't mind a bit. It took alot of effort to plan and set-up. I believe that the enjoyment factor and sense of challenge makes it a memorable one to those who attempt it.

As long as the description gives an idea of the difficulty of solving the puzzles, I say go for it. That will attract some people who love a challenge and allow those that don't not to bother with it. I'd expect a few people will gladly expend the effort necessary to solve it.

IMHO,

The harder caches have always seemed to be my favorites. I don't know exactly why, but to walk up to the only tree in the middle of a large grassy area that has a cache sitting in front of it is not quite the challenge of looking among all of the broken slabs of concrete next to the river within a 50 foot radius and then having to use the stinkin' clues cause it is both disguised and hidden under a rock... (I digress... OK, now breath, count to 10... ahhhhh)

I guess the high is proportional to the adrenalin which seems to correlate to the feeling of accomplishment which is in direct relationship with the "perceived" difficulty!

I like 5/1s (although I am the only one that hides these in this area.) Heck, I'd like some 4/2s.

I am much more self-satisfied by solving / resolving the hunt than the difficulty of getting to the starting point of the hunt.

(Which is better, the drive to the Easter-egg hunt or the Easter-egg hunt itself?)

maj-gps.gif

Always trade UP in both quantity and quality and Geocaches will be both self-sustaining and self-improving!

--majicman

quote:
DisQuoi

Geocacher posted June 13, 2002 11:33 AM

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

quote:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Which is better, the drive to the Easter-egg hunt or the Easter-egg hunt itself.

If done in an interesting way, having to find the hunt can be as fun as finding the eggs ... Grasshopper

Disquoi / Grasshopper,

But then that would make the "having to find the hunt" as the initial starting point of the "hunt". (i.e. A hunt within a hunt.) Again, this would be fun, because it is the HUNT (once removed...)

It's beginning to sound like a Hindu Nightmare, or am just beside myself again?

maj-gps.gif

Always trade UP in both quantity and quality and Geocaches will be both self-sustaining and self-improving!

--majicman

Disquoi would probably be a great tester for this cache. He has a sadistic streak in him that shows in some of his caches icon_smile.gif He puts a lot of effort into making them challenging and fun and adds some mental gymnastics that I think possibly intimidate some people from even attempting them. Case in point would be his "You are the GPS" cache. We looked at that one a few times and thought it might be too much for us because of some of the mathematics involved. But finally we dedcided to give it a try (with the help of his very helpful spreadsheet to help with the calculations). We found it to be a challenge yes, but it also made it really feel like a team effort when we completed it. Only 6 or 7 people have posted attempts and finds and it is very accessible for anyone in the northern VA area. But since it requires both mind and footwork, I think many have passed it by (their loss). By the way Disquois, as I posted in my find report, there WAS someone that foound it the same day I did, but they have never posted it as a find. Shrug.

I say post the thing, let people try. If you start seeing that everyone is having major problems and a few months have gone by with no one finding it, you can always revise it or add more clues. Or you can wait for that one special person who will find it and then gleefully rub it in that he is the one and only. icon_biggrin.gif

Thats my opinion

Dave

P.S. Disquois, I am ignoring your Reston comment icon_wink.gif

Disquoi would probably be a great tester for this cache. He has a sadistic streak in him that shows in some of his caches icon_smile.gif He puts a lot of effort into making them challenging and fun and adds some mental gymnastics that I think possibly intimidate some people from even attempting them. Case in point would be his "You are the GPS" cache. We looked at that one a few times and thought it might be too much for us because of some of the mathematics involved. But finally we dedcided to give it a try (with the help of his very helpful spreadsheet to help with the calculations). We found it to be a challenge yes, but it also made it really feel like a team effort when we completed it. Only 6 or 7 people have posted attempts and finds and it is very accessible for anyone in the northern VA area. But since it requires both mind and footwork, I think many have passed it by (their loss). By the way Disquois, as I posted in my find report, there WAS someone that foound it the same day I did, but they have never posted it as a find. Shrug.

I say post the thing, let people try. If you start seeing that everyone is having major problems and a few months have gone by with no one finding it, you can always revise it or add more clues. Or you can wait for that one special person who will find it and then gleefully rub it in that he is the one and only. icon_biggrin.gif

Thats my opinion

Dave

P.S. Disquois, I am ignoring your Reston comment icon_wink.gif

I'm glad to see the positive response to this cache, I agree, I've become more and more interested in doing the more difficult caches ... although I'm hoping this one is not over the edge.

So everyone, keep and eye out for "Blood & Guts in Virginia".

Just to give a little more insight to the cache, the 5 legs where found and by my brother, sister in-law and 2 nephews, (11 & 16 years in age). So I'm pretty sure that the nature of the terrains on these caches are not perilous and life threatening, but mind you they will be physically challenging.

The only concern I have is that we (Nik and Suzanne) have not actually tried this cache, although we did discuss possibilities for the puzzle and codes and several of possible hiding spots during the Christmas break. But as for the actually construction of the cache that’s all my brother’s doing.

So keep your eyes peeled for the posting of this one, once I get the final draft I’ll post it to the site.

One other suggestion that might be need, perhaps we (active cachers) can start a thread documenting the journeys. For most, this will be an endeavor that last the entire summer and it might be fun to watch the trials and errors around the way.