Cell phone service only for emergencies? (Tracfone)

Hi!

Mom wants me to get a cell phone in case of emergency. Since I don't have one and never intend on using it (except for emergency), I've been looking for a prepaid plan with no monthly fees. The best I've found is:

http://www.tracfone-orders.com/tr/phonelist.jsp?tech=CO

which is a tracfone with 100 minutes that are good for a year.

What I like about this plan is that there are:

1. No hidden fees

2. The minutes are good for a year (only have to renew once/year)

3. The phone comes with the package.

4. It's the cheapest method I've found at $95/year.

Now with the criteria that you NEVER will use it except for emergency:

Does anyone know of a cheaper plan?

Has anyone used this service and like it/dislike it?

The only problem I have with their claim that they have 99% nationwide coverage is wondering where that 1% isn't.

Thanks for your time,

GPS Grasshopper

I used a Tracphone for 6 months in an area where AT&T is a major provider. The Tracphone worked in almost all the areas AT&T was available. The audio quality is not quite as good as a "real" wireless phone, but overall I would recommend it for an emergency only phone icon_smile.gif Nat

I used a Tracphone for 6 months in an area where AT&T is a major provider. The Tracphone worked in almost all the areas AT&T was available. The audio quality is not quite as good as a "real" wireless phone, but overall I would recommend it for an emergency only phone icon_smile.gif Nat

I bought a Tracfone for my kids. Both are teens.

They only use it to call home to check in

or when they need a ride.

I like that there is no contract, the phone

was very cheap when I bought it on sale and

got a rebate. Best of all, I don't worry

if they loose it and the finder tries to run

up a phone bill.

"Very funny, Scotty. Now beam down my clothes."

I've had a tracfone since Christmas and it's really all I need. My boyfriend has a cell phone plan so we do most our long distance stuff on his phone. Mine is really just for emergencies... or the occasional call I need to make while on the road. I got it specifically for geocaching otherwise I don't think I'd have bothered. It cost 39.99 with a 20.00 rebate and came with 1 hour talk time. Since then I've spent $25 on time. It wouldn't pay for me to have a plan... I'm not a big phone talker to start with. I find coverage to be pretty good, though voice quality is not the greatest it gets the message across.

This may seem off topic but it's not.

When I disconnected my service on one phone with Verizon to move it to a new phone, my old phone still worked. So I called Verizon to make sure my new phone was the one working. They said "try to call useing the old phone" so I did. It asked me for my credit card number in order to complete the call. So what that tells me is this. 1) If you have an old Verizon phone and a credit card you have emergency coverage. If they charge you a buck a minute for the time, it will cost you less than a pre packaged gee my time expired and I need to renew it again phone.

The same trick may work with other companies. For the best emergency coverage you will want a Tri-Mode phone. Buy them used on eBay or Yahoo auctions. Toss it in your glove box without activating the service and keep a car adapter handy. Then forget about it.

Call verizon or whoever first to see how much they will charge and verify you can actully do what I said (I wasn't about to give them my credit card number!).

Any cell phone will do for emergencies. If it is a working phone the FCC requires that you can still call 911. I have one that has been disconnected, i.e. no service. I can still call AT&T or 911 with it. I can't call my friends and it won't accept calls. Now if you need to call AAA or such it won't work for that.

Byron

Mikedx's mom's definition might be, 'Call home in an emergency.'

My advise is that if this is the definition that you are going by and you can stick to the 'emergencies-only'rule, go with the plan you've found.

If you think that you might use the phone for non-emergency calls, go with an cheap plan like Cricket.

Personally, I use my cel more than my regular phone, so I have thousands of free any-time minutes and free long distance and roaming.