Pants versus Shorts

mckee

You could use stilts...

I prefer pants. I used to wear a light pair of cargo pants, but they got all ripped so I'm stuck with jeans for the time being. Many avid hikers are laughing at me right now, but almost no caches in my area require more than a mile hike, and few are even that far. So heavy, hot jeans are alright.

Flat_MiGeo_B88.gif

Well the mountain was so beautiful that this guy built a mall and a pizza shack

Yeah he built an ugly city because he wanted the mountain to love him back -- Dar Williams

I wear shorts when it is warm and get my legs all scratched up. Doesn't really bother me. The only time shorts really was a problem was when I needed to go through about 200 feet of nettles to get to the cache. Needless to say, I didn't attempt it. I want some convertable pants, but short women are out of luck on those!

pokeanim3.gif

Shorts! Kind of a point of pride with me (isn't that stupid?). Thrashing through the brush, somebody always seems to ask about it. I just find them more comfortable. Also, I tend to notice ticks before they have a chance to attach themselves. They're more likely to go undetected under pants.

I've been using those light weight, synthetic fiber convertable pants like Columbia sells. You know, the ones where the lower legs zip off. I like to have long pants when out in the woods because local caches tend to be around heavy patches of poison ivy. The pants are light enough that having my legs covered doesn't heat me up real bad compared to shorts. Better protection from the skeeters as well.

That Quack Cacher:

Lone Duck

When you don't know where you're going, every road will take you there.

quote:
Originally posted by mckee:

Which do you prefer while geocaching? I don't want to get my legs scratched, but at the same time I don't want to get too warm. What am I to do?

http://img.Groundspeak.com/user/130036_200.gif

I just tough out the scratches...strictly a shorts wearer much of the year except late fall/winter/early spring. I do have pair of rainpaints that I will slip on for really brushy cache hunts or for off trail excursions.

I've only been caching this summer, but I always wear shorts everyday to work, caching or anything else. I wish I could wear them to church...lol. We have tons of poison oak and ivey and skeeters and ticks. I've yet to get a rash, and the deet helps with the bugs.

A little off topic here but I've been wondering if anyone knows if snake bite are usually below the ankle or above. I wear hiking boots that cover my ankle and with all the copperheads and water moccasins we have I was wondering if it was enough.

Thanks!

"WITHOUT GEOGRAPHY YOU'RE NOWHERE....Jimmy Buffett

I think that snakes usually strike higher than a boot top. Water moccasins are the ones that make me nervous because I have seen them act very aggressive in the water. The snakes on land will leave, given the chance.

That Quack Cacher:

Lone Duck

When you don't know where you're going, every road will take you there.

quote:
Originally posted by Lone Duck:

I think that snakes usually strike higher than a boot top. Water moccasins are the ones that make me nervous because I have seen them act very aggressive in the water. The snakes on land will leave, given the chance.

_That Quack Cacher:_

_Lone Duck_

_

WARNING: off topic

I've had water moccasins actually chase me while canoeing! icon_eek.gif

==============="If it feels good...do it"================

**(the other 9 out of 10 voices in my head say: "Don't do it.")**

quote:
Originally posted by Breaktrack:

Sorry, pants, always.

Preference: Three color desert camo BDU pants with a light colored t-shirt, hiking boots, high socks, and my walking stick (hopefully to be replaced with one of Diablos walking sticks).

BDU's are the most comfy pants ever. Unfortunately the black and navy ones can be hard to find, and the ones that don't pill up in the laundry shrink too much to get a year's use out of them.

130036_200.gif

In Portland, if I remember correctly, proper attire is anything black. Black shirt. Black pants/shorts. Black boots.

It also helps to have tatoos and something other than an ear pierced.

Hope that helps you...

Oh. I wore shorts on all my Portland caching adventures. icon_wink.gif

I typically wear jeans when I cache, even if it is hot. Mainly to keep the bugs off. Yesterday I grabbed a long multi cache along a local bike path. I figured that since it's all paved I'd wear shorts and have no problems. On the final stage before the actual cache I found that I had a tick stuck in my shin. Figures the one time I wear shorts I end up with a tick bite.

Mr. 0

"Remember that nature and the elements are neither your friend or your enemy - they are actually disinterested."

Department of the Army Field Manual FM 21-76 "Survival" Oct. 1970

quote:
Originally posted by bitbrain:

In Portland, if I remember correctly, proper attire is anything black. Black shirt. Black pants/shorts. Black boots.

It also helps to have tatoos and something other than an ear pierced.

Hope that helps you...

Oh. I wore shorts on all my Portland caching adventures. icon_wink.gif

You forgot the coffee cup. icon_mad.gif

Ironically I wear tank tops most of the time, and all but a couple are black. icon_frown.gif

In Eugene you're only allowed to cache in tye-dye.

130036_200.gif

quote:

...BDU's are the most comfy pants ever. Unfortunately the black and navy ones can be hard to find...

I also prefer BDU's (treated with permethrin during warm weather). The large cargo pockets keep a lot of stuff handy while on the go that I would otherwise have to stop dig out of my backpack.

You can buy most colors, including blue and black, here. The price is also better than I've seen anywhere else.

worldtraveler

given that most of my caching lately has been by bicycle, I find shorts to be a necessity. Riding 8-10 miles in hot weather in long pants could be a killer. The bugs are merely an annoyance.

I do wear lightweight hiking boots and sweat socks, which is enough for me to manage to work my way through most vegetation with only minor scratches. I've even managed to work my way into a bramble patch after a cache. icon_redface.gif

quote:
Originally posted by worldtraveler:

quote:

...BDU's are the most comfy pants ever. Unfortunately the black and navy ones can be hard to find...

I also prefer BDU's (treated with permethrin during warm weather). The large cargo pockets keep a lot of stuff handy while on the go that I would otherwise have to stop dig out of my backpack.

You can buy most colors, including blue and black, http://www.shopalert.us/shop/scan/se=Pants/sf=Category/va=dept=clothing/sp=myparam/rf=%2A/st=text/ml=999/mp=sort1.html. The price is also better than I've seen anywhere else.

worldtraveler

Luckily, being retired Army, I can just head to my nearest base and hit Clothing Sales for the real deal, at about the same price as what is quoted at that site you put up. If I don't want to drive to Fort Hood or Fort Polk, I can order through the PX catalog and get them shipped to me. It's a great system...LOL. I've worn just about all of the different types and colors of BDU pants and I've found the best for hot weather is the three color desert. I use the others for colder weather (woodland, black, grey, etc.).

texasgeocaching_sm.gif

"Trade up, trade even, or don't trade!!!" My philosophy of life.