dangerous cache?

You didn't give us the choice I would have taken. Clean up everything but the needles!

Those, I wouldn't touch no matter what! Even though you could probably get things just as worse or more worse than what you might get from a needle by picking up something as seemingly harmless as a soda can!

quote:
Originally posted by Hoover and Root:

There has always been a lot of litter in the woods where I hid my cache, but today I found some "insulin syringes." What do you think I should do?

I am leaning towards the first choice, but would like to hear what others have to say.

Kathy in WV

Didn't we have someone in here a few weeks ago looking to make a theme cache of unused prescriptions? Maybe he can use them... icon_wink.gif

Don't ask me why I brought him up, glad that's over with!

Youd definately want to be careful if you did decide to pick them up, you can't be sure what they were used for or where they have been.

Never date a girl whose father calls her princess - chances are she beleives it.

Didn't we have someone in here a few weeks ago looking to make a theme cache of unused prescriptions? Maybe he can use them... icon_wink.gif

Don't ask me why I brought him up, glad that's over with!

Youd definately want to be careful if you did decide to pick them up, you can't be sure what they were used for or where they have been.

Never date a girl whose father calls her princess - chances are she beleives it.

Call your local EMS or fire department. They have the means of properly disposing of the needles, if they're willing and aren't constrained by some silly legaleese.

Then call the police, and find out if this is a popular hang out for junkies. It may have been a one time stop over and they'll never return. But if it is a problem area, definately move the cache far away.

Geocaching by day...hockey at night!

Life is good icon_biggrin.gif

Call your local EMS or fire department. They have the means of properly disposing of the needles, if they're willing and aren't constrained by some silly legaleese.

Then call the police, and find out if this is a popular hang out for junkies. It may have been a one time stop over and they'll never return. But if it is a problem area, definately move the cache far away.

Geocaching by day...hockey at night!

Life is good icon_biggrin.gif

We notified a park official of a similar incident in our area (found when we were looking to hide a cache). We notified the authorities and they are watching that area.

Bear & Ting

I thought I was a little off, then I looked at my GPS and discovered I accurate to 12 ft.

Geocachers don't NEED to ask for directions!

I voted "both" in the spirit of "cache in, trash out" but I think I'd probably pick 'em up with the pliers on my Leatherman.

I asked a diabetic friend and they recommended plastic soft drink bottles as temporary sharps containers. Watch out for the thinner plastic used for bottled water-- the heavier plastic for carbonated beverages is better. They recommended finding a cooperative doctor's or dentist's office for proper disposal.

quote:
Originally posted by strfry:

I asked a diabetic friend and they recommended plastic soft drink bottles as temporary sharps containers. Watch out for the thinner plastic used for bottled water-- the heavier plastic for carbonated beverages is better. They recommended finding a cooperative doctor's or dentist's office for proper disposal.

Thanks for the good idea about the plastic bottle. I'll probably wear a couple pairs of latex gloves under some work gloves, just to be safe. As for disposing of them, I'll just drop them in the sharps box at the lab I where I work.

Hoover

you could dig some holes and cover them with leaves as a trap so they bump their heads (for details see the other dagerous cache thread)or put in snakes that will wrap around their legs and bite them(the druggies) (also in that thread. and maybe even spread some broken glass around w/ the needles. ok enough joking, seriously, just sweep them up (use a broom so you dont hafta touch them) then take them to the doctors office like that other guy said. they can handle the cops and all of that mess.