Anti-Geocahcers?

quote:
Originally posted by yummykaz:

What would they do if they "caught" me?

More importantly, how would they prove it? You're innocent until proven guilty (is that still the case in Texas? I know it's iffy here in California...)

--

Random quote:

sigimage.php

First off, I an not a layer so take this as you will.

The woodlands is a community association.

Taking some information from their website:

..."The Woodlands is not an incorporated city so it cannot pass laws or ordinances of its own"...

It seems to be that as far as laws go, it's county law that rules.

I also notice that their website does not mention geocaching:

http://www.thewoodlandsassociations.org/parks-rec/?page=73

Swanlakers

Holy cats! Looks like Frank Burns was left in charge. I can just image the response when calling the number for a complete list of rules. Five bucks says you can only sit quietly on a park bench for no more than 10 minutes. (It wears out the benches if you sit too long)

"The Following Are Prohibited" Having fun. Laughing too loud. Collecting squares or distributing circulars. Standing up too quickly. Waving at strangers or park employees.

And call 911 for Emergencies only. I know this isn't a service of the park, but since my father never paid any attention to me, I'm taking it out on you. So watch yourself, buster.

quote:
Originally posted by pater47:

Think of it as a nice promo - now hundreds of people who've never heard of geocaching will go home, look up geocaching on the internet, and get hooked.

But people reading the sign will lump geocaching in with all those other horrible things. The only new geocachers we get because of that sign will probably be miscreants who also litter, destroy vegetation, light fires away from barbecue grills, and swim. icon_wink.gif

Everybody should call the park department phone number listed on the sign, ask what geocaching is and then ask why it's illegal! If all the members from this board called and continued calling for this information, after the phones are tied up for a few days, they might reconsider.

Maps?!? I don't need no stinking maps! I got coordinates!

I can see the arresting officer making you "assume the position", patting you down and finding such "contraband" as AA batteries, OFF, and <gasp> trashbags to help clean the cache area of any garbage. The cacher gets cuffed and stuffed while chanting "Attica!" and praying for a file in a cake...What a world... icon_rolleyes.gif

The kingdom of heaven is like treasure hidden in a field. When a man found it, he hid it again, and then in his joy went and sold all he had and bought that field.---Matthew 13:44

Matt & Julia

To view our online geocaching diary/blog, click here

quote:
Originally posted by Team X40:

"The Following Are Prohibited" Having fun. Laughing too loud. Collecting squares or distributing circulars. Standing up too quickly. Waving at strangers or park employees.

Busting a gut trying not to awaken my better half from her nap!

Too funny!

And yes, I would consider it a challenge to put a micro right on the sign! J/K

CR

72057_2000.gif

quote:
Originally posted by SylvrStorm:

quote:
Originally posted by pater47:

Think of it as a nice promo - now hundreds of people who've never heard of geocaching will go home, look up geocaching on the internet, and get hooked.

But people reading the sign will lump geocaching in with all those other horrible things. The only new geocachers we get because of that sign will probably be miscreants who also litter, destroy vegetation, light fires away from barbecue grills, and swim. icon_wink.gif

Ewwww. Swimmers! IKY!

They say this universe is bound to blow,

I say we crank up the Calypso Control!

~Jimmy Buffett

~Someday I Will~

Wow, the next closest cache to the Angels in the Outfiled cache is only 300 ft away. How did that get approved? Talk about your two-for ones.

"Following animal paths may make the bushwacking a little easier, but probably won't pay off in the long run, since deer tend not to geocache much." - Geocacher Peeve on the Vaught Ranch Bushwackin Fun (B.D. #2) cache

Thanks for the great replies. Did you notice at the very bottom that if you want...why you could call and get even MORE rules and things you CAN'T do?

I have to drive through the Woodlands to get to my office. I drive fast so I can get out of there quick. We tried to look for some caches there but kept running into Golf car snobs. The fact that my GPS would not give me clear signal makes me wonder if they are not scrambling it to keep us geocachers out!

Ok..truce..I have some really nice friends that live there, The Woodlands...it is just their "government" I hate!

quote:
Originally posted by Woodbutcher68:

Everybody should call the park department phone number listed on the sign, ask what geocaching is and then ask why it's illegal! If all the members from this board called and continued calling for this information, after the phones are tied up for a few days, they might reconsider.

That's a great idea, make them explain exactly what geocaching is, where you can find out more about it, why they think they need to prohibit it, in short, take as much of their time as you can. There really should be a micro on that sign.

If trees could scream, would we still cut them down?

Well, maybe if they screamed all the time, for no reason.

Click here for my Geocaching pictures and Here (newest)

quote:
Originally posted by Cruzin!:

quote:

What would they do if they "caught" me?

More importantly, how would they prove it? You're innocent until proven guilty (is that still the case in Texas? I know it's iffy here in California...)

You're innocent until proven guilty , this was changed with the Homeland Security act and the Patriot act. In the USA you are no longer innocent until proven guilty.

btW, am i the only one who followed this link on the cache page

http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cachelog_details.asp?start=&L=825470&ID=263217&decrypt=

--

Random quote:

http://sthomas.net/sigimage.php

[This message was edited by Johnnyvegas on July 07, 2003 at 08:16 AM.]

Hello guys.

I have to come clean here. It was a joke, done in my favorite photo editor. I posted the image in December, and never heard another word about it. I think you would need to spend a little while in The Woodlands to understand. They have lots of rules, so it is only a matter of time before they ban geocaching. But not yet.icon_biggrin.gif

I posted a copy of the actual sign this morning (7-7-03).

dadJ of Team sigJ

[This message was edited by sigJ on July 07, 2003 at 03:09 PM.]

Riding of Geese?

OMG that people would do or try that. Reminds me of an email about certain instructions on products....

Chainsaw Do not stop blades with hands or groin (ouch)

Hairdryer: Do not use in shower.

Time to go find that email and get a good laugh agn.

I bought a GPS. Now I get lost with style.

SigJ..I feel like I was on Trigger Happy! I was duped! You got me!

Since I survived 8 years of the Woodlands rules I was SURE it was real!

One of their other rules was to pick up your uniform looking trash can by 8PM. We sometimes were bad and did not pick it up till 10 pm. We got a letter from their lawyers...over a trash can..

We also got a letter from them threatening legal action if we did not "seed and water" our lawn. I wrote them back and told them it was my religion to believe that God does that for me. Letters stopped!

Good photoshop job..wish I could photoshop the age off my face that is approaching.

I got a trash can letter, too. And one complaining about the mildew on my chimney. And one complaining about my (neighbor's) basketball hoop being in the street.

Dontcha just love HOA's?

(HOA=Home Owners' Association)

dadJ

quote:

One of their other rules was to pick up your uniform looking trash can by 8PM. We sometimes were bad and did not pick it up till 10 pm. We got a letter from their lawyers...over a trash can..

We also got a letter from them threatening legal action if we did not "seed and water" our lawn. I wrote them back and told them it was my religion to believe that God does that for me. Letters stopped!

we know how that feels. We lived in a neighborhood that the builders wife (realtor) tried to tell other people that they couldn't have a window air conditioner in the upstairs bonus room. Just about all the houses had that upstairs room and the central air would not cool it off. We were warned ahead of time and required them to do added things, but it still got hot. They didn't want prospective buyers to ask why others were using window air conditioners in a brand new homes.

We had the liberty of buying a home next to the guy who ran the water works and sewage for the city. They ended up being pain in the butts. Not his position, but the use of it. We got along fine until they call the dog pound on us because a dog pen (not anchored or anything) that was not being used was too close to the property line. They had a privacy fence, we had a privacy fence. But come to find out, there wasa city ordinance against have a dog pen within 10 feet of a property line. This ordinance also included horses in the same paragraph. I measured and the pen was 6 ft away. Well actually 6'6". I forgot to mention that the same neighbor erected their privacy fence 6" over on our property, but we did not complain about it. The people behind us had a dog pen built right next to our neighbors fence. Actually the 4th side was the fence. The mayor of the city, happened to be a real estate attorney (the homebuilders attorney at that), but stated he was not aware of the cities set backs. I couldn't understand that. Your a real estate attorney and close deals of houses in that same neighborhood and you don't know the set backs? He closes several a month, plus he's the mayor and the code was on the cities website! icon_eek.gif

Then there was a time we got a notice that was placed inside our mailbox from the city, which was a nono, but postal regulations (that's another story). The notice was that our camper could not be parked in our driveway because they said it extended pass the house closest to the road. I went out and it didn't. I called the codes enforcer and asked him about it. He said no problem if it didn't extend past the house. We had an idea who complained about it, our neighbor. So 2 days later we get a letter from the developer of the neighborhood (not the builder of the homes). Stating that our Recreational Vehicle which was parked in our back yard was agains the HOA rules. Ok, it was a pop up camper that was not popped up and was not in the back yard. It had been there a few days because we had returned from vacation and did not have a chance to empty it out and clean it before placing it back inside the garage, where it is normally stayed. I explained the situation to them. He said that they received a complaint and that they didn't even bother to come by and see the infraction, but took someones complaint as it was. Told us we had so many days to remove it. It stayed there till the very last minute jsut to make the neighbors try to figure out if their complaint went through or not. Our garage was a side entry so we had room on the driveay where it didn't extend past the house. Our neighbors had a pop up as well, but had to keep their in their garage, because they didn't have that added room. Oh well. To each their own. We won't move into a neighborhood like that before. We weren't even aware of hte HOA until after the closing, when the realtor said they would send us the rules.

Brian Wood

Woodsters Outdoors

http://www.woodsters.com

I'm probably the only person, but I love my HOA. Keeps the idiots in line.

This jack@ss across the street from me parked his beat up raggedy old fishing boat in front of my house once. I'm easy so I let it be for a bit. I don't mind if it's there for a few hours or half a day, but it ended up being there for four days. At the time I wasn't sure whos it was, so on the fourth day (Sunday) I picked it up and wheeled it WAY down the street next to a wall where it wasn't in front of anyones house. Then I went in and ate lunch.

About 30 minutes later the doorbell rings. I looked at my wife and said "Here we go". I answered the door and there he was. Bikers gear, confederate flag hat, ratty beard, and side arm. (Ugh) He asked me in a rather buligerant manner if I had moved his boat. I said three things...

1. Yes I did.

2. I'll do it again if it's there.

3. Read your CC&R's and you'll see that you're lucky I didn't have it towed.

He starts spouting off about it being a public street and whatnot. Becoming more irriated I again told him to read the d@mn CC&R's and next time I would have it towed.

The wife and I leave and come home later that night to find a HUGE truck parked in front of our house with the boat hitched to it. I had it towed.

People like this don't understand that there is an HOA for a reason.

quote:
Originally posted by n0kwa:

Call 9-1-1 for emergencies only?

I wonder if I should call 911 if I see a geocacher?

Actually you should call the park office to see if your emergency is what they deem an emergecy. I'd hate to call 911 for a minor thing like a heart attack only to find that I just didn't have my valid list of emergencys handy. They did give the park office number didn't they?

quote:
Originally posted by sigJ:

Hello guys.

I have to come clean here. It was a joke, done in my favorite photo editor. I posted the image in December, and never heard another word about it. I think you would need to spend a little while in The Woodlands to understand. They have _lots_ of rules, so it is only a matter of time before they ban geocaching. But not yet.icon_biggrin.gif

dadJ of Team sigJ

Well, I would really be pissed at you if you had started the thread for attention, but someone else tripped your trap.

I'm still a little peturbed as I had my bloodpressure up on this one and even posted about it on the Georgia Geocachers forums.

Feels like the old days back in college when I first fell for the urban legends emails.

Now I can smell them a mile away, but I wasn't watching for something like this on Groundspeak.

No harm done sigJ...but I'll be keeping an eye on you ....

Kenneth

quote:
Originally posted by General Bracket:

I'm probably the only person, but I love my HOA. Keeps the idiots in line.

This jack@ss across the street from me parked his beat up raggedy old fishing boat in front of my house once. I'm easy so I let it be for a bit. I don't mind if it's there for a few hours or half a day, but it ended up being there for four days. At the time I wasn't sure whos it was, so on the fourth day (Sunday) I picked it up and wheeled it WAY down the street next to a wall where it wasn't in front of anyones house. Then I went in and ate lunch.

About 30 minutes later the doorbell rings. I looked at my wife and said "Here we go". I answered the door and there he was. Bikers gear, confederate flag hat, ratty beard, and side arm. (Ugh) He asked me in a rather buligerant manner if I had moved his boat. I said three things...

1. Yes I did.

2. I'll do it again if it's there.

3. Read your CC&R's and you'll see that you're lucky I didn't have it towed.

He starts spouting off about it being a public street and whatnot. Becoming more irriated I again told him to read the d@mn CC&R's and next time I would have it towed.

The wife and I leave and come home later that night to find a HUGE truck parked in front of our house with the boat hitched to it. I had it towed.

People like this don't understand that there is an HOA for a reason.

The biker gun toting dude is right in that it is a public street. He's wrong in that he really should have parked his stupid boat in front of his friends house or "Gasp" knocked on your door and asked permission. Odd's are you would of said 'fine' once you knew the why's and wherefores and how long temporary was. A little common courtesy goes a long way.

He sure taught you.

Still HOA's are evil. Part of the offer on a house documents here in Idaho ask if you have seen the CC&R's that form the HOA and set out the rules. I'd strongly adivise everyone to read them. It's not General Bracket who makes a bad neighbor. It's those idiots who call in a complain and never say a word.

quote:
He sure taught you.

Still HOA's are evil. Part of the offer on a house documents here in Idaho ask if you have seen the CC&R's that form the HOA and set out the rules. I'd strongly adivise everyone to read them. It's not General Bracket who makes a bad neighbor. It's those idiots who call in a complain and never say a word.

Wha? Are you being facecious? Or coming down on me? I'm confused as to whether I should be defending myself.

As far as common courtesy, at the time I didn't know who's boat it was. Otherwise I'd have headed over and spoken to him about it. No biggie. I moved it and didn't give it another thought. When he got an attitude with me about moving it, being human I responded in kind.

I'm a great neighbor. I'm quite. I don't park my car IN MY YARD (pet-peeve). I keep my yard and house looking attractive. I actually did read the CC&R's BEFORE I bought the house, and I stick to the rules that I agreed to.

As I said, I'm easy. After four days though it was ridiculous. I could have had the boat towed and I didn't. Instead I simply moved away from the front of my house. He got beligerent and decided to push my buttons by parking the boat back there attached to a truck I couldn't move. Sooo... finding it increasingly harder to take the high road I did what I did.

It might bear mentioning that nothing has happened since. My wife said she saw it out there one morning, but it was gone by the time I got out there. No big deal. The four d@mn days is what aggravated me.

This thread is now really too funny...I gotta keep reading it even though we digressed to HOA bashing.

To the friend who had the boat in front of the house:

One night my hubby and I came home to find a giant party going on, on our block which was a dead end. A teen party/ Well someone took mom and dad's Lexus and decided it was OK to park IN our yard.Um, well it's not OK with us. So hubby and I took some bottles of the little squeeze bottles of honey. We honey'd up all the door handles.I think we also smashed some eggs on the windows ( not the paint as to be destructive) so it would dry just on the glass.

My hubs and I hid in our bedroom which had a giant window facing the car. After someone called the cops on all these hooligans, the guys came backto mom and dad's car. My husband and I were choking while we were laughing so hard. Watching those kids wipe their hands off...and then finaly getting in and having something on the window ( we only put egg on the middle ...we always thought about safety). They must have sprayed the window washer 100 times!

They had NO clue who did it as all of our lights were off etc.

But I will never forget how we got back at those punks!

Woodsters: The Woodlands HOA sent my pal a letter because of her kids play fort. You CAN'T see it from the street...BUT she left her gate open one day and the neighborhood spy saw it and reported them!

One day an old man was cruising our street. I HAD it with the HOA. I went and stood in the street to stop him. I screamed " WHY ARE YOU SPYING ON ME"? "WHAT IS YOUR PROBLEM"? Well he said...he worked for the local paper and was just checking to see if the papers were delivered and or who did and did not get them. oops...

Directly off the page:

http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cachelog_details.asp?start=&L=825470&ID=263217&decrypt=

"It was a JOKE, folks

The Woodlands have some tough rules, but they haven't banned geocaching (yet). Please don't call the number on the sign, or they just might."

The original said golfing.

I think it is funny that the residents of "The Woodlands,TX" refuse to call their city "Spring, TX." My aunt lives there and it is a "status" thing. I looked her up on the county records and it is definitely Spring, TX. The mail gets to The Woodlands because of the zip code.

This happens in DFW too. Examples: "Las Colinas" is a community in Irving, TX. "Stonebridge Ranch" and "Eldorado" are communities in McKinney, TX.

Now back to the topic at hand - if it is private property owned by the association, you must obey the rules.

Depending on the rules and the agreement with the LAND OWNER, I am willing to bet that you could geocache there (to find clues or markers), but not necessarily hide a stash somewhere. How would they differentiate this from hiking or walking with a GPS?

;)