Do you read cache hints before you hunt?

MTBguy

Just wondering how many people read the cache hints before you go out to hunt. I know I have a few times, I don't like to because it might spoil the hunt.

Do you read hints before you go out for the hunt?

If you are talking via communicatior to Captain Picard, remember this, for it is the single most important thing you can learn... Never give him a straight answer, make sure he has to come on down to the planet and see for himself.

Almost never.

Usually I won't read the cache page right before a hunt either. Not that I haven't read the cache page at all, as more often than not I've read the cache page at some point in the past... but that doesn't mean that I remember it, but I'll take special note of caches that may need special attention.

During PaterQuest, I scanned through all the cache pages before I left and then only read them once I got to the cache site. Out of 37 hunts, I decoded the hint nine times... and only five of those times was the hint helpful.

Jamie

I take the cache print-out with me.

I start with the co-ords and description the placer gave. I glance at the log entries to make sure the last 2 aren't no finds, but try not to take in the text.

If I get close and can't find the cache, I check the log entries.

Still no luck, I decipher the hint.

Given my "abilities", I usually end up deciphering the hint.

I'm always afraid that if I don't read, I'll miss something like "Cache is not at these coords...."

quote:

If you are talking via communicatior to Captain Picard, remember this, for it is the single most important thing you can learn... Never give him a straight answer, make sure he has to come on down to the planet and see for himself.

Here's a ST-TOS trivia question for you all:

Captain Kirk, Mr. Spock and Ensign Jones beam down to a hostile planet. Which one's not coming back?

ApK

I download all the cache reports in a 100 mile radius to my Palmpilot via Pocket Queries. I love have EVERY cache report at my fingers tips should I need one. Nice thing is that all the HINTS are already decoded but placed in an Appendix. If I get stuck while in the bush I can pull up the hint and peek -- but I only use hints as a last resort.

Having them at the ready when needed to devine.

Jolly R. Blackburn

http://kenzerco.com

Yes I always read the hints. Love the clues especially those that relate on how to get to the right parking area, back ways, side roads, trils to look out for, etvc. why? Because part of the fun for me is in the planning. The working with topo and street maps on my PC, creating routes for my GPS, printing maps out, seeing the topography of the area, are their lumber trails nearbyetc. Sort of like a military campaign. Hints add to these and it becomes a deciphering game even before you hit the trail. PLus I like shorter hikes.

Like most things there's no right way or wrong way to do it - it's just what turns you on.

Alan

I've been surprised the few times that I've run into other cachers on the trail. Almost every time, I've been looking for the cache for a while, and they show up, ready to look. I tell them I've been there a while, and I'm about ready to decrypt the hint, and they say ''Don't bother. It says...'' and they tell me what it says.

To me, that just makes it way too easy. Depending on my time limitations, I'll usually spend a good 30-45 minutes of hunting before I break down and decrypt the hint.

"Why don't you just ask somebody?"

"No, no. I've got a map. Don't worry about that."

It's a hint, not needed to read unless you want to ruin the surprise. In my mind the only people who read the hints are the people who peek at gifts before they are supposed to. icon_razz.gif

I take pride in using my planning ahead of time using topo, maps and such to find out what the best approach may be.

Then when I get to the site and I am really, really stumped I will decrypt the hint. Then it tells me where to PARK!!! Ok, I am way past that point icon_rolleyes.gif Suggested parking should be in the main info. I will look at it and then research the area to see if I can find better a better approach.

A = A

It's a hint, not needed to read unless you want to ruin the surprise. In my mind the only people who read the hints are the people who peek at gifts before they are supposed to. icon_razz.gif

I take pride in using my planning ahead of time using topo, maps and such to find out what the best approach may be.

Then when I get to the site and I am really, really stumped I will decrypt the hint. Then it tells me where to PARK!!! Ok, I am way past that point icon_rolleyes.gif Suggested parking should be in the main info. I will look at it and then research the area to see if I can find better a better approach.

A = A

quote:
Originally posted by ApK:

Here's a ST-TOS trivia question for you all:

Captain Kirk, Mr. Spock and Ensign Jones beam down to a hostile planet. Which one's not coming back?

ApK

Hmmm, Captain Kirk. He will fall in love with some alian woman, and later be rescued by Ensign Jones (but Jones will die in the rescue attempt, and ultamitly not make it back.)

Can't help myself.

I just hate the thought of going out for a cache and

coming back empty handed.

I always print out the hint along with the page

just in case I get stumped.

Sometimes we need the hint, sometimes we don't.

But it's there, should the occasion arise.

I do feel guilty while it's printing, though.

I look at the cache page on the computer and read it through trying to digest as much information as I can. Then I get rid of the logs (print friendly) and have the computer decrypt the hint. I print out a copy and put it into my caching bag for use on the hunt if I need it. I think of it as a "lesser find" if I have to use the hint but I will do it if I have to. I do not feel bad about letting the computer decrypt the hint becasue I see the encryption as something to keep me from seeing and understanding it before I choose to. I know that some people think that having to decrypt the hint in the field with the wind blowing and nothing good to write on "atones" for having to use it in the first place but I have better things to do with my time. Besides all I need is to sit in a patch of weeds sneezing with hayfever and allergies only to be told in the hint to take my allegy medicine before I come because there are a lot of weeds. I agree with a previous post. This is not a hint is is information that should be in the main page.

quote:
Where in the nursery rhyme does it say Humpty Dumpty is an egg?

Oh my heavens! icon_eek.gif I never thought of that. Where does the egg thing come from? My whole childhood will have to be re-evaluated.

I look at the cache page on the computer and read it through trying to digest as much information as I can. Then I get rid of the logs (print friendly) and have the computer decrypt the hint. I print out a copy and put it into my caching bag for use on the hunt if I need it. I think of it as a "lesser find" if I have to use the hint but I will do it if I have to. I do not feel bad about letting the computer decrypt the hint becasue I see the encryption as something to keep me from seeing and understanding it before I choose to. I know that some people think that having to decrypt the hint in the field with the wind blowing and nothing good to write on "atones" for having to use it in the first place but I have better things to do with my time. Besides all I need is to sit in a patch of weeds sneezing with hayfever and allergies only to be told in the hint to take my allegy medicine before I come because there are a lot of weeds. I agree with a previous post. This is not a hint is is information that should be in the main page.

quote:

Oh my heavens! icon_eek.gif I never thought of that. Where does the egg thing come from? My whole childhood will have to be re-evaluated.

I agree that I like to do it without any hints at all to make it more fun/challenging. But...I got burned once cuz I only printed out the first pages of logs. Had I printed all out the log entries, I would have seen the infamous "cache not found at these coordinates" as ApK says. It cost me another 82 mile trip to go back and get it after it was 0.25 miles off from where posted. Got that one fixed now.

When the family caches we take a print out, that way if we get stuck, there's time for a sit down and translate. My wife is getting to the stage she can read the clue "real time", the kids 6 & 9 ( Strange names for kids but we're English) usually enjoy cracking the code, although if Ruth ( 6) writes it out I may not be able to read it.

Shares in Tupperware? Be a Geocacher!

I used to read thoroughly through the cache descriptions, and religiously took them along as part of the necessary hunt accoutrements. I was very practiced in this approach until I visited my son this summer, who is also an avid geocacher. As we went out together for the first time, I asked if he remembered to bring along the Geocaching descriptions. He scoffed, and quickly added that using the descriptions (other than the coordinates) is for sissies. Well, I was not inclined to stick up for sissies, so I went along pretending I was OK with this approach. What surprised me is my son was right - going totally cold into the hunt does turn it up a a few notches. Maybe this is not for everyone, but if your geocaching seems to a bit lackluster lately, try going commando style.

I've almost never found an urban micro without having to peek at the clue. There are so many little places to hide things and sat reception sucks in between buildings so I always:

a) plot coordinates in S+T. Assuming that the map software is accurate, you are only looking at 1/2 the possible error when you look at a plotted waypoint on a map. When you finally get on the ground you are faced with the planter's gps error AND your gps error.

:rolleyes: read the hint. STUDY the hint. Visualize the hint!!!

Rob

Mobile Cache Command

quote:
Originally posted by Rigour:

I start with the co-ords and description the placer gave. I glance at the log entries to make sure the last 2 aren't no finds, but try not to take in the text.

Same here, though if the cache is local, I usually come back another day and try again.

Over in a neighboring city we have hider who either has a really quirky sense of humour, or for whom the concept of "hint" is somehow unclear. icon_biggrin.gif I hunted a cache of theirs a few months ago where the decoded "hint" was "email me in advance for my cell phone number so you can call me if you think you'll have trouble". Silly me, you'd think I'd know better than to enter the woods without a laptop, a satellite uplink to the internet and a cell phone. icon_wink.gif Most of their other hints are similar, like "email me if you get stuck", or another memorable one which said "no way Hose too easy already". Hey, different strokes for different folks, and there is no rule that says you gotta leave a hint at all, much less a useful one. I just personally feel that if one has searched to no avail, then admit defeat, that the hint when finally decoded actually helps one find the cache.

quote:
Originally posted by Rigour:

Same here, though if the cache is local, I usually come back another day and try again.

Over in a neighboring city we have hider who either has a really quirky sense of humour, or for whom the concept of "hint" is somehow unclear. icon_biggrin.gif I hunted a cache of theirs a few months ago where the decoded "hint" was "email me in advance for my cell phone number so you can call me if you think you'll have trouble". Silly me, you'd think I'd know better than to enter the woods without a laptop, a satellite uplink to the internet and a cell phone. icon_wink.gif Most of their other hints are similar, like "email me if you get stuck", or another memorable one which said "no way Hose too easy already". Hey, different strokes for different folks, and there is no rule that says you gotta leave a hint at all, much less a useful one. I just personally feel that if one has searched to no avail, then admit defeat, that the hint when finally decoded actually helps one find the cache.

quote:
Originally posted by littlefrog:

Hehe, look at the hint on this cache: Hollow Tree We changed the hint so it would be the least bit helpful, it used to be just a bunch of words that meant nothing to the hunter. I have another cache that says to email me if they nead any more help than what they already have. I don't want anybody to take the easy way out on that one: Nocturnal Reflections Generaly though, I simply put a more detailed discription in my hints.

quote:
Originally posted by littlefrog:

Hehe, look at the hint on this cache: Hollow Tree We changed the hint so it would be the least bit helpful, it used to be just a bunch of words that meant nothing to the hunter. I have another cache that says to email me if they nead any more help than what they already have. I don't want anybody to take the easy way out on that one: Nocturnal Reflections Generaly though, I simply put a more detailed discription in my hints.

Many of the caches in this area are in canyons and under heavy tree cover where the coordinates will get you within 50' of the cache, if you're lucky. In those cases, it is either use the hint or tear up a few hundred square feet of the terrain. In one case, though, the hint was a compass resection and referenced a prominent tree -- of the wrong species.

I saw a lot of people defending decrypting the hint printing it and taking it along. As long as you don't read it when it prints, just fold it up and take it along, there is nothing wrong with that in my mind. Some of the hints are WAY too long to sit and decrypt by hand. And those are the ones that usually tell you where to park icon_rolleyes.gif So I can understand having the PC do the decryption for ya, just don't read them until you need them. That is one of the things I do love about the Geocaching ebook downloads, the hints are in the appendix if you really need them.

[Dan trying to find a cache]

"Dang, I need a hint!" [Pulls up out Palm, tap, tap, tap] "Oh look it says I should park right where I did, wow that was helpful" icon_biggrin.gif

A = A

I saw a lot of people defending decrypting the hint printing it and taking it along. As long as you don't read it when it prints, just fold it up and take it along, there is nothing wrong with that in my mind. Some of the hints are WAY too long to sit and decrypt by hand. And those are the ones that usually tell you where to park icon_rolleyes.gif So I can understand having the PC do the decryption for ya, just don't read them until you need them. That is one of the things I do love about the Geocaching ebook downloads, the hints are in the appendix if you really need them.

[Dan trying to find a cache]

"Dang, I need a hint!" [Pulls up out Palm, tap, tap, tap] "Oh look it says I should park right where I did, wow that was helpful" icon_biggrin.gif

A = A

I always read the decrypted (cheater!) hint and print it out. What I don't do is remember it word for word.

So, when seeking a cache I have an *inkling* of an idea of the hint but only turn to the print out when I'm flummoxed.

-----------

"If you tell the truth, you don't have to remember anything." - Mark Twain

quote:
Originally posted by Da Rebel:

I always read the decrypted (cheater!) hint and print it out. What I don't do is remember it word for word.

So, when seeking a cache I have an *inkling* of an idea of the hint but only turn to the print out when I'm flummoxed.

I always look at the pictures. Even if they say Spoiler. I went on a series where as I'm standing in the bushes decrypting the hint, it reads "see picture".shakehead.gif

It took going to TWO in this series before I learned my lesson.

Also I don't use pocket quaries. I load the whole cache page to my PDA. Before I load it I decript the hint. I do have good discipline, I don't read it 'till I have to.

Preparation, the first law to survival.

39197_400.jpg

We like not to print and decrypt the hints.

And we don't take the sheets with us.

Rather, what we do is carry with us a satellite phone with modem cable, a generator, and a laptop PC with a portable printer.

If we get stuck, we set up shop, examine the web page, and then print the hint right then and there!

--------

Seriously, we print/decrypt the hint, and take the printout with us. Our goal with caching is exercise and seeing new things. It's easy to decrypt it, print it that way, and not read the decrypted text, and when you WANT the hint, you're not sitting there and converting GUR to THE again and again. I have never viewed it as challenging or interesting to replicate the acts a simple computer program could do manually, and I view decrypting hints manually in the same light.

We've probably looked at the hints 25% of the time as a result, and it makes us happy, and doesn't violate the Geocaching rules, so we are fine with it.

-Joel

I read everything. I look at the maps, topos, hints, pictures, etc... Then I print the page, although now only the print friendly ones and try to remember to take it with me.

Especially on a multi cache (messed up on Schnuffles Saugatuck Valley Stomp and didn't get beyond first part). The logs can be fun to read! My favorite log so far is the log by Perfect Tommy on June 23 at http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_details.asp?ID=25720&logs=y&decrypt=

about this: quote "Where in the nursery rhyme does it say Humpty Dumpty is an egg?"

It says it in the second verse:

Humpty Dumpty was a great Egg

All of him broke,even his leg.

And when the kings horses and men had all met,

the declared "Oh well, Let's make omelette!"

Really, just kidding icon_wink.gif, I made that up.

Can't help repeated postings that I just got my own Garmin Etrex Legend today. Woo Hoo! icon_biggrin.gificon_biggrin.gificon_biggrin.gif

Cache you later

Cache you later,

Planet

I read everything. I look at the maps, topos, hints, pictures, etc... Then I print the page, although now only the print friendly ones and try to remember to take it with me.

Especially on a multi cache (messed up on Schnuffles Saugatuck Valley Stomp and didn't get beyond first part). The logs can be fun to read! My favorite log so far is the log by Perfect Tommy on June 23 at http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_details.asp?ID=25720&logs=y&decrypt=

about this: quote "Where in the nursery rhyme does it say Humpty Dumpty is an egg?"

It says it in the second verse:

Humpty Dumpty was a great Egg

All of him broke,even his leg.

And when the kings horses and men had all met,

the declared "Oh well, Let's make omelette!"

Really, just kidding icon_wink.gif, I made that up.

Can't help repeated postings that I just got my own Garmin Etrex Legend today. Woo Hoo! icon_biggrin.gificon_biggrin.gificon_biggrin.gif

Cache you later

Cache you later,

Planet

quote:
Originally posted by cannonlaw:

quote:

Ironically, given the name cannonlaw, it is my undertsanding that Humpty Dumpty was originally a cannon in the English Civil War.

quote:
Originally posted by cannonlaw:

quote:

Ironically, given the name cannonlaw, it is my undertsanding that Humpty Dumpty was originally a cannon in the English Civil War.

Since I do not have a printer, I usually plan a bunch for the day and go, but I have to write out everything and writing out an encripted hint is difficult in a hurry.

I have also entered over 200waypoints mostly in the GCxxxx format so I am not even sure what I am looking for, I have a Garmin GPS 12CX with the colour so I use blue for a normal cache, green for a multi cache and red for a virtual.

Since I write out a bunch, I remember them, but often do not remember which one they go to, had to call home for one in New Richmond, QC which was cleaverly hidden, when I am home in New Brunswick there are only 38 within 100 miles I beleive and we usually travel a long ways so I hate getting there and not finding the cache, hard enough when I was using a Magellan GPS 2000 as was the case with Miss Ketoe in NB, a three hour trip to not find the cache but the hint for that one did not help, I had it, just a more accurate GPS and more daylight.

When travelling, I have the GPS on the dash with the map function, just a point map, no detail, just my trail behind me and I keep on eye on any that I maybe close to and usually do a few spontanious geocaches with no name, parking or hints at all, just a circled X on the screen and GCxxxx for a name. So far been lucky with those.

With the more accurate GPS I don't rely on the hints as much as I use to, but not finding the cache is fustrating, especally driving a long ways, but I still get the exercise which is what I am going for.

I like the caches you can almost drive to on trips and ones that you have to hike to when I have the time. If every cache took a long time I would not be able to do the ones in the areas I am passing through, especally on my last trip from NB to Montreal, I did two, woke me up and got me going, nothin better then looking and seeing that X close to the highway and say, let go look for this one, altho Ottawa scared me somewhat.

I have been having fun, thanks for the caches, hope this makes sense, I am using lynx and am having a hard time reading what I am writing.

haven't read the previous posts, just replied to the first. We print out the "printer friendly version" and bring it along. If we can't find the cache, we will decipher clues "in the field" so to speak. Sometimes the hints give too much away. Remember one time when we searched for more than an hour, deciphered the clues and found the cache more than 100 feet away from where we "knew it was!!". We would rather try to figure it out ourselves at first and if that doesn't work, revert to the clues.

When i first started this, i never decrypted the hint until i NEEDED it.

i started bringing the decrypted printout with me after too many 'park at...' hints.

but now i ALWAYS bring the hint with me: i ran into a family of new geocachers at a park somewhere in the willamette valley area one day, and they hadn't decrypted the clue yet. every fern, sapling, and creekbed within 60 feet had been totally trampled in their unbridled exitement. I understand that the amount of rain we get over here would allow the area to recover in a matter of weeks, and i also understand that the placement of the ammo box itself would render itself 'plundered' in that same matter of weeks.

but i decided right there that i'd rather be a cheater than to be a family of five.

all rights reserved, all wrongs reversed

Originally posted by RB_Nielsen:

...I asked if he remembered to bring along the Geocaching descriptions. He scoffed, and quickly added that using the descriptions (other than the coordinates) is for sissies...

AMEN !!!!!

Support your local rescue team.... Get Lost!

quote:
they hadn't decrypted the clue yet. every fern, sapling, and creekbed within 60 feet had been totally trampled in their unbridled exitement.

Just where the ticks hang out too. I like getting in and getting out. The less poking around the better I like it.

Alan