GPS Satellites shutting down???

Hey every one.

We are new to the Geocacheing scene and have recently heard some disturbing news.

I have been told that in the next year to year.5 that the GPS's that are now being used will be obsolete. This apearantly is due to the shut down of satellites used for tracking.

Could someone please advise me of the facts on this. Thanks BlazinBC

AIIIIIGH ! NO, it cant be true. Will there be government funded clinics to help the addicted among us ? Will Betty Ford be the patron Saint of Geocachers ? We will be exposed to friends and co-workers for the junkies we truly are. ( AS IF THEY DON"T KNOW ALREADY icon_wink.gif

Two roads diverged in the woods and I,

I took the one less traveled,

and that is how I found the cache.

quote:
Originally posted by BlazinBC:

Hey every one.

We are new to the Geocacheing scene and have recently heard some disturbing news.

I have been told that in the next year to year.5 that the GPS's that are now being used will be obsolete. This apearantly is due to the shut down of satellites used for tracking.

Could someone please advise me of the facts on this. Thanks BlazinBC

I think you should be used to this kind of thing. I mean, the computer you are using is probably already 'obsolete'. If my current GPSr will be good for another year to year and a half, then that seems like a pretty good deal. icon_biggrin.gif

--Marky

"All of us get lost in the darkness, dreamers learn to steer with a backlit GPSr"

It's true, all GPS satellites will be shutdown.

Now for the details:

Each satellite has a lifespan of several years. New satellites are launched to replace the ones in orbit now. These launches are staggered so as to not need to replace all satellites at once. Therefore, when one satellite is decomissioned, it has already been replaced by a newer satellite.

So yes, all satellites up there now will be shut down. However, they are replaced with a newer satellite before the shutdown happens. The result is a seamless transition to a newer satellite. The entire system will not be shut down at once. Troll somewhere else next time.

bandbass.gif

Actually, George Bush wants to privatize the system with corporate sponsorship.

Pretty soon the words "This coordinate is brought to you by Coca-Cola" will appear on the screen.

========================================

"The time has come" the Walrus said "to speak of many things; of shoes and ships and sealing wax, of cabbages and Kings".

Lets hope they all come to pass on and get replaced by the nextest and bestest version, don't you get sick of the same old satellite day after day after day.

But actually there are some satellites being shutdown that are used for tracking but these are not GPS sats so maybe your getting things mixed up a little.

Cheers, Kerry.

I never get lost icon_smile.gif everybody keeps telling me where to go icon_wink.gif

quote:
Originally posted by Dave54:

Pretty soon the words "This coordinate is brought to you by Coca-Cola" will appear on the screen.

While in the middle of a "Goto" route you will be interrupted with a commercial for the "BowFlex" system, order yours within the next 20 minutes and receive a free workout video, bla bla bla.....

quote:
Originally posted by TEAM 360:

quote:

While in the middle of a "Goto" route you will be interrupted with a commercial for the "BowFlex" system, order yours within the next 20 minutes and receive a free workout video, bla bla bla.....

I think I'm gonna be sick...

bandbass.gif

quote:
quote:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

WOOT Pop Up Ads For GPSr.....errr this could suxor. P.S. first time quote hope it works.

texasgeocaching_sm.gif

Perhaps this might calm your fears, from AMSAT-NA News Service May 4, 2003:

Upgraded GPS Satellite Shipped to Cape for July Launch

As the U.S. Air Force prepares to launch its third Global Positioning System (GPS) satellite this year, prime contractor Lockheed Martin has set a new record for operational checkout of the recently-launched GPS IIR-9 satellite.

Following the March 31 launch of GPS IIR-9, Lockheed Martin executed an accelerated on-orbit payload initialization in just 11 days -- a record for any GPS satellite -- so that the satellite could be quickly placed into service in support of the current military operations. Two months earlier, the team achieved a 20-day check out of GPS IIR-8, which was launched on Jan 29.

The next satellite, designated GPS IIR-10, was recently shipped to Cape Canaveral from Lockheed Martin's facilities in Valley Forge, PA for a scheduled launch in late July.

The satellite features significant performance upgrades, including a modernized antenna panel and increased power for GPS receivers. There are eight new-generation GPS IIR spacecraft currently on orbit out of a total GPS constellation of 28 satellites.

The GPS IIR satellites are compatible with the current system and provide improved navigation accuracy, achieved by using an ITT Industries payload system. Additionally, increased autonomy and longer spacecraft life are inherent in the Lockheed Martin satellite design.

To bring new capabilities to the GPS constellation, Lockheed Martin is under contract to modernize eight existing GPS IIR spacecraft already built and in storage.

GPS modernization is being performed at the Space & Strategic Missiles - Valley Forge, PA facilities and ITT Industries, Clifton, NJ facilities. The first launch of a GPS IIR-M satellite is scheduled for July 2004. The U.S. Air Force Space and Missile Systems Center, El Segundo, CA is the contracting agency.

AMSAT-NA News Service