Has anyone noticed, or is it just me...

That each time I open up a cache description page, the small map located near the top of the page is a representation of an area NO WHERE NEAR the actual location of the cache? Have we been hacked?

Another problem that I have consistently is that when I click on "Post a new topic" or attempt to reply to one (I'm logged in)... I get bumped back to the list of forums/main discussion page. It wouldn't be a bad thing if this happened on occasion, but it happens everytime and always two or three times before I am taken to the page that a topic or reply is typed into. It is becoming very frustrating. I thought that it might have been some quirk of the new discussion/forums set-up... but hey! It's been over a month now.

Is anyone else having this problem?

Frustrated icon_confused.gif ;

----------

Lori aka: RedwoodRed

KF6VFI

"I don't get lost, I investigate alternative destinations."

GeoGadgets Team Website

Comics, Video Games and Movie Fansite

I get the same thing happening to me on occassion. After it happens I grouse about it and keep on going, suppose someday it will get fixed.

Another thought occured to me, You may be logged into GC.com, but not the forums.

Lost? I'm not lost. At least I don't think I'm lost, well............OK, maybe just a little.

Question One (the maps): The little map problem is, according to Jeremy, a little problem. Generally speaking, you will only see incorrect maps on relatively new geocaches. The maps usually work themselves out. If they don't, the geocache owner can "edit" his or her page (even without actually making changes) and the page will go back through the 'give me a little map' line. It will probably turn out right on that second try. It's a software glitch and a minor inconvenience. Sometimes even amusing.

Question Two (logging in for forums): If you have your preferences set to automatically log you in to geocaching.com, that cookie probably won't also log you into the forums. (Notice that when you first arrive at the forums page it says "you are not logged in" at the upper left.) If, as soon as you go to the forums, you click on "login" you should get essentially a screen refresh except now it says "Hello *your user name*". You are then free to post.

Does this answer the questions?

- Seth!

quote:
Originally posted by Seth!:

Question One (the maps): The little map problem is, according to Jeremy, a little problem. It's a software glitch and a minor inconvenience. Sometimes even amusing.

Okay. I've just seen it a few time the past couple of days and thought, "What the...?" Thanks for informing me.

quote:
Originally posted by Seth!:

Question Two (logging in for forums): If you have your preferences set to automatically log you in to geocaching.com, that cookie probably won't also log you into the forums. (Notice that when you first arrive at the forums page it says "you are not logged in" at the upper left.) If, as soon as you go to the forums, you click on "login" you should get essentially a screen refresh except now it says "Hello *your user name*". You are then free to post.

Does this answer the questions?

Well, it SHOULD answer the question or solve the problem, but it doesn't. I log in to GC.com and when I reach the forums I click on "login". But yet, when I click on the double quotes to reply to a specific post, OR when I click on reply to topic I get the same thing - while I am logged in and it takes a minimum of two tries before it will let me type anything. GRRRR...

Next!

----------

Lori aka: RedwoodRed

KF6VFI

"I don't get lost, I investigate alternative destinations."

GeoGadgets Team Website

Comics, Video Games and Movie Fansite

quote:
Originally posted by kablooey:

For all the California caches I view, the little map seems to show California, but with _Phoenix_ in large letters across the picture. (Phoenix isn't even in California, for those of you who don't know.)

Those of us in Arizona get to see San Diego all over our little map! Last time I looked, San Diego was in CA.

sun_smiley.gif

RedwoodRed, the only thing I can suggest about your problem with the forums is that Groundspeak has it in for you. icon_wink.gif Okay, I doubt it. Who knows.

As for the little maps, I looked at some CA geocaches and yes, I saw the word Phoenix in big letters but the map did have a blue circle around the geocache in California. Part of the problem is that those little maps are intended to show the whole state. Because CA is so long compared to its width, a horizontal map will always show several adjacent states. Now why Phoenix gets such a big plug is anyone's guess. Maybe the person who wrote the mapping software lives there. Beats me. I just make this stuff up as I go along

quote:
Originally posted by Cachemere:

quote:
Originally posted by kablooey:

_For all the California caches I view, the little map seems to show California, but with _Phoenix_ in large letters across the picture. (Phoenix isn't even in California, for those of you who don't know.)_

Those of us in Arizona get to see _San Diego_ all over our little map! Last time I looked, San Diego was in CA.

http://www.theunholytrinity.org/cracks_smileys/contrib/edoom/sun_smiley.gif

It's a sneaky conspiracy to do away with the 50 states and make just one national state. icon_wink.gif

Alan