New Lookup

Who absolutely hates what Groundspeak has done to the new cache lookup page (i.e. the page where you search for caches in your area). You use to only see caches that you have not found at the top, the ones you planted or found were at the bottom of the results. I don't know about you , but I hate this new design !!! what do you think of this recent change?

if you had read the forum topics on the new pages, you would have seen that on 'new search' you can lose your found/hidden and also select which cache types you prefer, i.e. traditional etc.

regards

Bill

Life is just an illusion, albeit a very elaborate one.

Uhhh, from your first poll response choice, you left out "I like watching the website grind to a halt because of the server load caused by the old 'nearest caches' page."

From your third poll response choice, you left out "I like being able to filter out caches that I've already found, caches I've hidden, and all the other features in the new search tool."

x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x

Some mornings, it just doesn't pay to chew through the leather straps. - Emo Phillips

quote:
Originally posted by marinor:

if you had read the forum topics on the new pages, you would have seen that on 'new search' you can lose your found/hidden and also select which cache types you prefer, i.e. traditional etc.

regards

Bill

OK, I put in my zip code, click on Search, and it shows all the caches, even the ones I have found. I see a tiny X for the ones I have already found, and no X for ones I have hidden. I keep hearing about these filters that can correct this but as usual, the forum response is frustratingly vague. WHERE ARE THEY!?!? I realize that it could be right there in front of me and I’m just not seeing it. It certainly isn’t very intuitive if I need someone to give me lessons on how the dadgum thing works.

The results do not seem to be living up to the hype.

http://fp1.centurytel.net/Criminal_Page/

Actually, it's not hard at all.

• Go to Geocaching.com homepage.

• Click on Advanced Search on the right, directly under By Country.

• That will take you HERE.

• Make your selection of search type and then cache type and enter search data.

• If you want to not see your Hidden/Found caches, select Exclude Hidden/Found Items from Search.

• Click SEEK>

Viola! Your nearest without Hidden/Found if you wanted.

The regular search by zip function on the home page will give you everything. The advanced search is where you can hide your Hidden/Found caches.

CR

72057_2000.gif

OK, I see

quote:
Exclude hidden/found items from results

and a checkbox. I guess that's it. NOT very clear at all.

Sissy&CR wrote:

quote:
• If you want to not see your Hidden/Found caches, select Exclude Hidden/Found Items from Search.

I bolded the keyword you included but the website did not. It did confuse me, in its wording and its placement, which is after the search button.

I would rather see a series of checkboxes that offer filter options instead of that ridiculous dropdown list. How do I search for all caches except virtual and locationless?

As a paid supporter of this site since the inception (of paying to support the site), I am very disappointed in the results. I’m not going to kiss anybody’s a$$ and say I like it if I don’t. I appreciate the hard work, but again, the results re not living up to the hype (or my expectations).

Sorry

http://fp1.centurytel.net/Criminal_Page/

quote:
Originally posted by Criminal:

I appreciate the hard work, but again, the results re not living up to the hype (or my expectations).

It's in a rough state, that's all. I figured they wanted it to bring it online so there are at least some functionality and the site not grinding to a halt.

Over HERE Big "J" is taking suggestions and has already mentioned a few additions on the next version due out hopefully this week.

I don't like it in it's entirety, but I like the new functions more than I dislike the missing or broken functions.

I say it's an excellent start!

CR

PS: How's life treating you with that "Retired" after your name?

72057_2000.gif

Wow, I think it is completely excellent, streamlined and easy to use. I like that there is much more user-relevent info on each cache info line right in front of me and the quick access to filtering what type of cache I'm looking for from the drop down. Very nice!

-Dan

Team Kender - "The Sun is coming up!" "No, the horizon is going down."

I didn't vote because there wasn't a selection for "I think the new page kicks butt." This is a huge time saver for me, and it's also fun to look at my finds broken out by type. I look forward to future improvements to this new search page.

--Marky

"All of us get lost in the darkness, dreamers learn to steer with a backlit GPSr"

i like that it is supposedly more efficient. i hate the new look, but i am seriously resistant to change, so any opinions i have regarding change should be taken with a grain of salt.

i do wish that it came with small print somewhere on the page that explained what the features are and how to use them, and i do wish that it had options to filter out the caches i've found and hidden without having to launch a search. i'd also like it if i could ignore some caches and i miss the spectacle icon for those i'm watching.

it doesn't matter if you get to camp at one or at six. dinner is still at six.

quote:
Originally posted by Itchy and Scratchy:

Where is the check box now to download to EasyGPS.

Check the box on the far right column...then click the "Download Waypoints" button at the bottom of the page. You need to be logged in to see the boxes and button.

homer.gif

"Just because I don't care doesn't mean I don't understand."

Dang Javascript

I cannot have Nearest Caches as my Homepage when IE loads anymore, because of the Javascript.

This old link still works:

http://www.geocaching.com/seek/nearest.aspx?zip=48127

Has anybody found a way around the Javascript, so that they can view just the ones not found yet, and have that as your Browser's Homepage???

--------------------------------------------------

My Old posts as Geoffrey

My Current Post as GOT GPS?

My profile

My Home Page about what is GPS

I just want to know when all these changes are going to stop?

Every other month it seems I have to relearn how to search for caches or email users or reply in the forums...

Not a burden certainly but it's irritating as hell.

Can we please have a break for about a year??

If they hadn't made these changes, we might have had a mandatory break for a year while they picked up bits and pieces of the server after it exploded under the load that the old search interface was creating. icon_wink.gif

I like the new interface, but I won't rest until I see a simple option to toggle found/dead caches on or off without having to re-enter all the search criteria over again. I don't have my home coordinates memorized, so it gets rather tedious when I have to start a "new search" and re-enter them with the "exclude" box checked. (But I've said all this in the "official" thread, so I might as well not even get started here... icon_wink.gif)

---

Grove City College

quote:
Originally posted by GOT GPS?:

This old link still works:

http://www.geocaching.com/seek/nearest.aspx?zip=48127

_Has anybody found a way around the Javascript, so that they can view just the ones not found yet, and have that as your Browser's Homepage???_

GOT GPS?,

Add "&f=1" to the URL. I think that will do what you want.

Flat_MiGeo_B88.gif

Well the mountain was so beautiful that this guy built a mall and a pizza shack

Yeah he built an ugly city because he wanted the mountain to love him back -- Dar Williams