2 year old cache has never been found

Bilder

The Alaska one, I think I'd have a pretty good time even if the cache was missing. I'm actually quite suprised, there doesn't seem to be anything *so* difficult about these that *somebody* shouldn't have tried them by now.

Flat_MiGeo_B88.gif

Well the mountain was so beautiful that this guy built a mall and a pizza shack

Yeah he built an ugly city because he wanted the mountain to love him back -- Dar Williams

How is the Alaska one a 1-star terrain? If you need a canoe that would fall under the 5-star needing specialized equipment or training. I'd say a 3 day canoe trip requires at least some preparation, if not training. Then there is tha part about grizzly bears. A good .44 magnum is specialized equipment in my book.

Took sun from sky, left world in eternal darkness bandbass.gif

quote:
Originally posted by Team GPSaxophone:

How is the Alaska one a 1-star terrain? If you need a canoe that would fall under the 5-star needing specialized equipment or training. I'd say a 3 day canoe trip requires at least some preparation, if not training. Then there is tha part about grizzly bears. A good .44 magnum is specialized equipment in my book.

Took sun from sky, left world in eternal darkness http://mywebpages.comcast.net/ihazeltine/bandbass.gif

If you lived in Alaska you would have access to a dozen 44's you could borrow IF you didn't manage to own one allready. Plus you would either have a boat or your cache buddy would.

I gotta brag

Nelson Lake

http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_details.aspx?ID=3025

Rating: 2.5/3 (Should have been a 2.5/5 canoe or heavy bushwhacking needed)

Placed: 6/9/2001

First find: 7/8/2003

Idle time: 2 years, 1 month minus a day

First finder: ME icon_biggrin.gif

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Anyone can go to a Tupperware party but it takes a special skill to hunt plastic containers in the wild.

quote:
Originally posted by Bilder:

http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_details.aspx?guid=40fc2768-988e-44fa-b8bc-6cc0533d670e

If I only had a couple days and a boat.....

What is the longest a cache has gone before it has been found?

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I have never been lost. Been awful confused for a few days, but never lost!

Boy that one looks like one I wanna find, but too far.

Shafer Meadow's is the oldest unfound near me, will be two years old tomorrow. I know a couple people with their eyes on it for this summer. No idea how that'll work out...

However, Thunderbolt, the next oldest unfound near me, will be two years old on the 30th, but might not make it till then before it get's it first finder. Either way though, it'll have several logs before the end of the summer. Guaranteed.

skydiver-sig.gif

---------------------------------------

"We never seek things for themselves -- what we seek is the very seeking of things."

Blaise Pascal (1623-1662)

---------------------------------------

quote:

Then there is tha part about grizzly bears. A good .44 magnum is specialized equipment in my book.

Although having a gun along is necessary in many wilderness areas, ONLY use it for ultimate protection. I know a .44 doesn't stop a tampaging bear, even after unloading all six shots, It happened to me near Denali in 1978.

Point blank into the bear's face, and out of five hits, I had a REALLY pissed bear. It finally dropped, but not before the end of the world flashed before my eyes.

(I was Fined for shooting the bear, too)

(Don't take babies or small dogs camping in Alaska.

geocan.jpg

Trash-out, EVERYtime

These days you usually will not get fined for shooting a bear if it was in defense of life or property.

Bear encounters are high this year. We had a mild winter and the bears and moose are out in force as a result.

Last week a fisherman was mauled at a one of the most popular fishing holes in the state. He is still in critical condition and as a result of the most recent attack, Fish and Game has banned fishing during the evening hours.

Here are some stories about bear encounters from just the last week.

Hiker battles bear

Man mauled by Grizzly

Officer kills bear in Juneau

N61* 12.041 W149* 43.734

Over 2 years old and not yet found in Ontario. Looks like a great spot if you can figure out how to get there. Might cost more than the 46 cent stamp and 55 cents in CTC money you'll hopefully recover when you get there icon_wink.gif

4.5lb Walleye

"If you don't know where you are going, then it doesn't much matter where you are." - Lewis Carroll in Through the Looking Glass

Well, I generated a Pocket Query to try to find the oldest caches that hadn't been found. Here's the "oldest" 10:

82nd Pass (01-Apr-2000)

Oh so blue (06-Jan-2001)

pin-box (12-Jan-2001)

Treasure Island (27-Jan-2001)

Bluffers Tug (21-Feb-2001)

Middle Bay Challenge (26-Feb-2001) [Virtual]

Necker Cache (03-Mar-2001)

River Walk (10-Mar-2001)

Caribbean Tour (17-Mar-2001)

Bluebucket (18-Mar-2001)

Note that some have logs that they couldn't be found and such -- so it is possible they are lost and just need to be archived one day. Others just haven't been hit -- or have a note that someone "was in the area and close, but forgot their GPS"! heh...

- John...

quote:
Originally posted by John Goggan:

Well, I generated a Pocket Query to try to find the oldest caches that hadn't been found. Here's the "oldest" 10:

82nd Pass (01-Apr-2000)

Not sure about this one... didn't all this start in May 2000 when SA was turned off? And the id # of that cache is 72602. I think the date is bogus... I think it was assigned around June of this year...

Some things are lost, some left behind.

Some things are better left for someone else to find.

quote:
Originally posted by Sir Cache-A-lot:

quote:

82nd Pass (01-Apr-2000)

Not sure about this one... didn't all this start in May 2000 when SA was turned off? And the id # of that cache is 72602. I think the date is bogus... I think it was assigned around June of this year...

_Some things are lost, some left behind.

Some things are better left for someone else to find._

Searched the profile for the person that hid that cache. Member since June 1, 2003. No finds and no other hides.??? This could be a second account I suppose. One built specifically to overdate the cache.??

How about some Admin. insight?

http://coloradogeocaching.com/

Lend me your ear while I call you a fool.

quote:
Originally posted by Renegade Knight:

quote:

If you lived in Alaska you would have access to a dozen 44's you could borrow IF you didn't manage to own one allready. Plus you would either have a boat or your cache buddy would.

Oh, so terrain ratings are only for locals...now I get it

quote:

82nd pass(01-Apr-2000)

Wow, I've driven Independence pass before. Next time I'm in the area I'll have to hike up and find the cache.

Took sun from sky, left world in eternal darkness bandbass.gif

quote:
Originally posted by RuffRidr:

Please do. I'd like to see that.

Ok, I finally got around to doing the "oldest caches in the US that haven't been found yet" list:

82nd Pass (Colorado, 01-Apr-2000)

River Walk (New Mexico, 10-Mar-2001)

Geocache (Alaska, 21-Jun-2001)

Kougarok (Alaska, 23-Jun-2001)

Baldy01 (New Mexico, 30-Jun-2001) [Very likely not there]

Shafer Meadows (Montana, 19-Jul-2001)

"wow is it that far" (Oregon, 21-Jul-2001)

ThunderBolt (Montana, 30-Jul-2001) [Recent activity, but they didn't make it! icon_smile.gif]

Valdez Venture (Alaska, 15-Aug-2001)

Valecito Creek (Colorado, 30-Aug-2001)

CK's Plumley Cache (New York, 11-Sep-2001)

Windsong Cache (Utah, 05-Oct-2001)

Ravens Roost Climbers Cache (Virginia, 23-Dec-2001)

Of course, as has been discussed, it is possible that at least one of those is an incorrect hiding date, but I'm just going by what the database is giving me... Also note that some do have "not found" logs -- it is possible that they aren't there, of course. I skipped the Virtuals this time.

- John...

quote:
CK's Plumley Cache (New York, 11-Sep-2001)

This one is pretty fishy. Consider:

The date is significant

The user has only been a member since July 15, 2002 (10 months after the cache is listed)

The cache placer has no finds and only one hide

The cache placer last visited geocaching.com on the 6th of this month

There are no logs at all

This cache is allegedly placed in the Adirondack Park quite close to the High Peaks Region and ~75 miles from Lake Placid. These are very popular hiking/camping and tourist attractions respectively.

I find it pretty hard to believe that no one has even tried this one in almost two years.

-Vb

Edit: Interesting. I just found that you can change the "date hidden" field to anything you want. I think I'll send an email to see what (if any) response I get.

[This message was edited by Verboten on July 31, 2003 at 01:04 AM.]

Alaska has 3 of the top ten oldest U.S. unfounds.

That is pathetic. We need more cachers up here.

I may have to go to valdez and hit the one there before summer is over. So many caches, so little time......

N61.12.041 W149.43.734

quote:
Originally posted by zoltig:

quote:

82nd Pass (01-Apr-2000)

Searched the profile for the person that hid that cache. Member since June 1, 2003. No finds and no other hides.??? This could be a second account I suppose. One built specifically to overdate the cache.??

How about some Admin. insight?

An April 1st hide date is certainly suspicious. I'd doubt it's actually really out there.

Ron/yumitori

---

Remember what the dormouse said...