More logo choices...

Sissy-n-CR

From the preliminary results of the poll of the PD logs it looks like there are quite a few people who aren't thrilled with the GX logo. I can understand some of the points that have been raised. I'm kind of disappointed, but I know you can't please everyone.

So in that spirit, here are a few more ideas:

72057_1600.gif

A- A take off of an earlier design, but I didn't how thin it was. This one is thicker. It is made up of both the "G" and "C" of GeoCaching. If you squint your eyes it looks like a "C." Extend the bar like in D and then it looks like, and can be used as, a "G." It's a dual-use symbol when using it as part of a word.

B- Really a GX varient, but seperated the X so it didn't look like a cross.

C- Added the GC man to A. Gives it a "yipee" feel.

D- By extenting the cross bar in A you can make it look more like the letter "G." Upon looking at that, I felt that I could I add an arrow head to denote movement, action, or going after a goal.

E- After looking at version D, I noticed how the negative space inside the graphic kind of formed a "C" and took this to the next level. The graphic definitely gives you the feel of the TARGET stores, but then again the TARGET logo always reminded me of the game we used to play as a kid, "Circle, Dot, Cootie shot." (So we couldn't get cooties from girls and vice versa.) But, this one would be very easy to render, it's nice and clean, could be made rustic, it has both the "G" and "C" image in it, gets away from the graffiti feel, and with the target image give the feel of going after a goal--certainly an aspect of our pasttime.

Okay, no flames please because some people have already settled on a logo--I had, as well. I think people's points of GX logo looking like graffiti or gang symbols are valid. Maybe, if we can come up with a logo that conveys better our clean, family-oriented pasttime we can get more people to jump on the bandwagon.

CR

You have done a great job on taking the basic design and going from there. I would only caution on using your design C which includes the GC man. That is using an identifiable element of a trademark it may not pass the legal test depending on how it is used. I think it looks great as they all do. Thanks for giving us some more ideas and choices.

quote:
That is using an identifiable element of a trademark

are you saying that the GC man looks close enough to the Groundspeak man? I didn't notice any resemblance before you pointed it out and now after then only thing that is simular is that the slant of the GC man is the same.

----(sig line)---> Did you ever do any trail maintainence? - if so you will know that all but the most worn trails need continuous maintenance to prevent mother nature from reclaiming it. herd paths are quickly reclaimed - k2dave

Also the GX is very simple to make - I think I'm staying with that one.

----(sig line)---> Did you ever do any trail maintainence? - if so you will know that all but the most worn trails need continuous maintenance to prevent mother nature from reclaiming it. herd paths are quickly reclaimed - k2dave

I'm not that fond of the GX logo. I haven't really read all the way through the threads, but I agree it has that Blair Witch kind of feeling to it. I like C because it uses G and C in two ways. The surrounding circle is the G and C and the man or body (is not that much the same as the Groundspeak guy) looks like a backwards G and a forwards C, while still creating an X. Great work, lots of thought and I vote for C at this time.

Cache you later,

Planet

quote:
Originally posted by k2dave:

quote:
That is using an identifiable element of a trademark

are you saying that the GC man looks close enough to the Groundspeak man?

I happen to think it looks close yes. I just pointed out a possible problem. If you don't think it is that close -- OK. Push comes to shove it is not really for me or you to decide. The trademark holder would have to feel they are being infringed then take action. Then if it goes that far a court would decide. Again if it is not being used for commercial gain I don't think there is going to be a problem at all. I am not a lawyer. But I can certainly see if someone wants to make a case about it I would not find it too far of a stretch.

Since my storage site does not allow me to post images here, I'm at a disadvantage - you will have to actually click on a link. Since I don't think anyone did the other time I posted this, I'll try again.

New Logos 10/12/02

I'm not looking for approval, merely giving more options.

-----------------------------------------------------------

This mission is too important for me to allow you to jeopardize it.

quote:
Originally posted by brdad:

quote:
Originally posted by MountainMudbug:

Since I don't think anyone did the other time I posted this, I'll try again.

Sorry for the oversight. I have uploaded them to my http://www.bytethebullet.com/geologo page now.

We all have mental problems, it's just that some of us choose to show them.

Thanks.

I like most of the Gustaf and Leatherman variants.

In addition, I like Groover #1, MountianMudbug #1 &2, Rubbertoe #1, Team Bohica #1.

What is the problem with Leatherman's? Someone saying it looks too "Blair Witch." I think it does a little, but not too much. I think it is kinda neat that way.

If the original point of this symbol was to be something all cachers could use (for clubs, coins and such), I have to go with A and D shown at the top of this thread.

Leaving the middle of the symbol open allows individuals to incorporate their own images of caching. For instance, dropping in the logo of the Cachers Alliance of Central Harrisburg (East) to show the chapter within the organization.

Just to go back to the GC man and the Groundspeak man - I realize that what we think is not relivant to possible future legal action and it may be better to aviod even the remotte possibility but how I see it the 2 are totally different, the GC man is going 'Yippie!' while the Groundspeak guy is yelling 'Where the #$@* is that thing?". The reason I asked in the 1st place is that I really couldn't see the relationship.

- just had to add that.

I agree that the GX is easy to reproduce, easy to customize, quick and simple. Already some neat custom jobs out there. My only problem is that I see "Generation X". I can't help it, its just there. Which draws up a whole association with apathy, anarchy, and the like.

I'm leaning towards something more refined, slightly more complicated.

I realize we're not all going to agree, but I don't expect to get flamed about this. I'm simply stating my opinion, and I'm not trashing anyone's artwork. Everyone has done a fantastic job, and I really enjoy seeing all the submissions and making some myself.

I have three more logos to mull over. I already made some GeoTokens with MudBug #2, but I keep having ideas.....

This logo stuff is as addictive as caching!

They're all great designs. However, since geocaching is a world hobby, English words and even the letter "G" for geocaching should not be used. "G" doesn't mean anything in Cyrillic or Japanese or dozens of other languages.

The logo should be non-language based, non-cultural based, non-specific geographic based, but world based.

Alan

Coke is not spelled Coke in Hebrew. It may be pronounced phonetically as Coke, but believe me there's nor c-o-k-e in Hebrew, or Japanese, etc.

McDonalds started out with three hamburger joints in middle America. Even they though changed the "M" to the "Golden Arches" as they expanded. BY we're not McDonalds. We're looking for a logo for geocaching that's already in over 100 countries. An international logo makes better sense - to me anyway. NO language, no letters, no cultural identity.

Alan

Let's get some good verbage going about what would be a good international representation of geocaching, rather than just what isn't a good international representation of geocaching. You're right, it makes sense. Now help me visualize it.

Satellites in space going around the earth(Garmin's logo), compass rose showing points in a compass (but not including the letters), the world, the world with a compass rose inside and a flag sticking out one side, a compass with satellites rotating around it, a topo map with a flag stick in the middle, a circle with 4 flags equidistant apart and dotted lines connecting the flags, a circle with six flags representing the 6 continents sticking around the world split into three sections/colors: top white, midddle green, bottom blue; a picture a the world in the 3 color sections just mentioned with a figure standing ojn top holding a flag with the pole stuck into the earth;

That's a start - let me sleep on it.

Alan

Actually the GX can work well internationally as well. We recognize the G because it's in our alphabet, but the symbol can also be interpreted as walking in a circle at the search area until the cache is found. It still works.

It almost works too well, I'll bet if I saved all of my tracks from every cache, I'd be able to find some tracks that look like the GX logo. Sort of like searching the area when you get the "loose bearings"

OK I couldn't sleep.

A figurine person holding a flag with both inside the middle of a circle with the points of a compass drawn into the inside of the circle line; a world with latitude and longitude lines drawn with a figurine person standing on top of the world holding a flag stuck into it; a world or circle with a figurine person and a flag both inside and separated by a meandering, dashed arrow going from the man to the flag;

Ok enough from me. You guys are the creative ones. I'm going to sleep. Again.

Alan

quote:
Originally posted by Alan2:

They're all great designs. However, since geocaching is a world hobby, English words and even the letter "G" for geocaching should not be used. "G" doesn't mean anything in Cyrillic or Japanese or dozens of other languages.

The logo should be non-language based, non-cultural based, non-specific geographic based, but world based.

Alan

Why are you typing this in English, then? icon_rolleyes.gif Go create a board in Esperanto or something if it bothers you so much. This just makes me want to have an American flag on the logo. Non-cultural based? What culture created GPS in the first place? I have no patience with PC BS.

Sissy-n-CR have some nice ideas. I've stated on another thread that I do not like the GX, but I believe that part of it's appeal is that it can be easily drawn.

If you take Sissy-n-CR option D, and forget about the separate G and C rings and just use a single outer curve with an arrow in it. You get a nice, easily drawn symbol.

Or maybe use both... GX for females, G arrow for males.

V7L

quote:
Originally posted by GrizzlyJohn:

are you saying that the GC man looks close enough to the Groundspeak man?

quote:

I happen to think it looks close yes. I just pointed out a possible problem. If you don't think it is that close -- I am not a lawyer. But I can certainly see if someone wants to make a case about it I would not find it too far of a stretch.

then take a look at Handspring's logo.. should someone here be sweating bullets?

how4.gif No matter where you go... There you are!

NTGA member

(I posted this to the other thread, but this appears to be the only active thread now, so I'll update that post here.)

Taking inspiration from the existing logos, I decided to come up with one that, in my opinion, takes the best parts of the existing ones and reworks them into something I like a bit better. What I came up with, I dubbed SmoothGx:

icon_wink.gif)

Internationality: While this incorporates the "G" in geocaching as the "spiral", the dual meaning of the spiral (i.e. the pictographic representation of the hunt for the cache) lends itself to having meaning even in places where the "G"/geocaching relationship does not exist in the local character set. (See, I thought of that, too.)Anyway, there. Now I've done a bit of explaining about what I had in mind when I whipped this up. Can I have a reply now, please? icon_biggrin.gif (Okay, okay, I'll wait my turn.)

SmoothGx-Enos_Shenk.jpg

Enos_Shenk's better looking prototype.

Sissy, I like "D" the best. The GC logo is too plain, the figure in the middle could be a copyright infringement, the GC with the X in the middle looks like a community hospital's logo, and the one with the dot in the middle looks like it refers to Target stores. The D choice is my fave, like the arrow.

Thanks for all your submissions. These choices are really great. I will include them in my signature item cache that I will be setting up this week end.

By appointment to the Court of HRM Queen Mikki I.

I've been following the threads and logo submissions, and I've seen several great logos for different applications.

Perhaps we should just allow any or all logos to be used as desired for any purpose. The simple logos are perfect for hand drawing at the cache site, or on the cache containers; while the more detailed and colorful logos would be great for patches, stickers, etc.

Why do we want to limit ourselves? If a group wants to get together and mint some coins or chips with a logo, then they can determine which logo suits their budget.

It would be great to not only collect the geo-coins, but also to collect the various customized or different logos that will obviously get used.

Wow, it's getting harder and harder to decide if these submissions are variants of Leatherman's or not!

If anyone thinks I've put their logo(s) in the wrong page or pages or credited the wrong person, let me know.

quote:
Originally posted by NightHiker:

Why do we want to limit ourselves? If a group wants to get together and mint some coins or chips with a logo, then they can determine which logo suits their budget.

All the designs will remain available for use by whoever can make use of them. We're just trying to get one logo (or one style of logo) which would represent geocaching in general.

quote:
Originally posted by cachew nut:

quote:
Originally posted by DougsBrat:

then take a look at http://www.handspring.com's logo.. should someone here be sweating bullets?

Or http://cingular.com/ even

I think they are all similar. Like I said I am not a lawyer and no matter what push comes to shove anybody can sue anybody for anything. The courts decide in the end. There was an Apple Records (I don’t know the official name, probably something like Apple Music and Publishing) long before there was an Apple Computer. That was all OK until Apple Computer started to become a delivery system of music which was part of the core (sorry but the pun just happened) business of Apple Records. There was a lawsuit at that point, which I can’t really remember how it came out. Handheld organizers, cell phones and geocaching there may be enough difference to distinguish between them. Yes organizers and cell phones are starting to blur. But hey maybe there is already some kind of deal between the two. I don’t know. My original post was only to say there may be a similarity that one may want to consider. Everybody is free to do what they want. I in no way meant to detract from any of the designs. I think they are all great. These and so many of the others that have been posted. The group as a whole should be very proud of everything they came up with and we should all feel very proud to be part of such an intelligent and creative group. It makes us all better by raising the bar just that much more.