Caching with a PDA or LapTop?

Anyone use a PDA or laptop instead of printing out the clue sheets? I'd like to find a PDA device that allows you to view the geocaching.com page off line so we can have it 'all in our hands' in the feild.

A laptop would work but be a tad big for carrying around everywhere.

Anyone have input on the PDA set up? What would it take to convert the geocaching page into a readable code for PDA's?

I always bring the cache page with me on my pda when I go out for a search. In order for the page to take up less space (about 40 kB) I use the "Make this page print-friendly" page. Then I load that page into iSilo (a PalmOS document reader) and I can refer to the map, the waypoint name or the description whenever I need to.

If I set the link depth to "1" when I load the cache page into iSilo, I automactically get any decrypted hints just by clicking the "Decrypt" link directly on the page. This option uses more space on the pda obviously. Another option if you want to be able to decrypt on the go is to use a PalmOS program called HintDecoder where you can type in or paste in an encrypted message and decypt with a press of a button.

I just started geocaching, but I find the pda to be of very good use while geocaching. I load the cache pages for the caches I intend to visit, and I always have something to write on if I need to take some notes (like answering questions on a virtual cache).

Also, if you don't have a gps unit with map functionality, you can most likely connect your GPSr to a pda and show a "live" map on there instead, using software like Mapopolis.

We just started using the laptop on our caching missions. In the UK, we are lucky enough to be able to view ordnance survey maps for caches at the click of a mouse. We cut and paste the map into photoshop, identify the best access and parking and mark it, then save the map out as a bitmap. We then import the map into GPSthing and calibrate it. We then hook the eTrex up to the laptop, and hey presto - sat nav!

Then we follow the needle to the cache, and when we get close, we appear on the map, and navigate straight to the trailhead. I can't tell you how much frustration this has saved us.

We then put the laptop in our rucksack while we walk out to the cache site, and occasionally we get it out at the cache site, to view the cache page and decrypt the clue/read the logs etc.

Takes a bit of preparation the night before but it adds to the fun, and my son is learning how to use maps, computers etc

opinion.jpg

I use a 3835. Once you have the ipaq, download GPXView. This program lets you view and sort all the cache pages downloaded by your pocket querry (need to be a paying member for those of course). It works great. It is not available for Palm devices.

I have not printed out a paper cache page since I started using GPXView.

Aladin Sane

I use an HP Jornada 567 with ArcPad and a CF GPS unit. No street navigation software loaded, yet. Don't really need it if I save the mapquest map to the PocketPC or print it... except for multis, of course.

The cache web page can be saved locally to a PocketPC as an html file with directory for images, add an image (jpg) of the mapquest map, and avoid the printed versions of both.

I use ArcPad for the as-the-crow-flies navigation and to construct a shapefile of the caches I have visited, but usually print an image that is the collage of the first page of the cache and the mapquest map.

Use Avantgo to ge the actual pages on your PocketPC. And by setting your password right, you can have the actual geocaching.com pages you want on it. Worked for me really easily before I got my new Maestro. Now I've installed the GPXView and that works for me too.

Later,

B.

Check out www.warrenmurphy.com for new releases and "The Assassin's Handbook". It's back after 20 years!!

quote:
Originally posted by Aladin Sane:

I use a 3835. Once you have the ipaq, download GPXView. This program lets you view and sort all the cache pages downloaded by your pocket querry (need to be a paying member for those of course). It works great. It is not available for Palm devices.

I have not printed out a paper cache page since I started using GPXView.

Aladin Sane

Aladin,

Hi, I did a search and found this forum so maybe you can help. My husband gave me his ipaq 3835 I will be using only for caching. I have made my pocket querry and I would like to know how to down load the pages without all the graphics, just the nitty-gritty stuff.

I am no geek so simple terms would be great.

Pepper

icon_geocachingwa.gif

Horizontals where it's at!

I have a notebook mounted in my truck with TopoUSA v2, Streets & Trips, MapSource Roads & Rec and various other applications. My GPS is hard mounted in the truck and as such it is hard enough to hunt caches, so the notebook and software help out alot.

Ohhhhhh, now I understand! A handheld GPS would be a better choice for this sport.

quote:
Originally posted by leatherman:

Pepper, Spinner is a great program.

http://ubbx.Groundspeak.com/6/ubb.x?q=Y&a=tpc&s=5726007311&f=8016058331&m=51360371&p=1

Web page based links. I have the whole Puget sound on one GPX file.

http://img.Groundspeak.com/user/39197_2700.jpg

_I am the result of genetic manipulation of superior Geocacher DNA. Faster, stronger with superior reasoning and logic._

http://www.sigmaxi.org/amsci/articles/95articles/Hunt-full.html

Thank you soooo much the ipaq has been sitting here on the desk for two weeks now and I am now armed with all the info my husband needs to fix me up. icon_biggrin.gif

Pepper

icon_geocachingwa.gif

Horizontals where it's at!

Ever since beginning I've used my Palm device, have cable to eTrex...

Use mapping on Palm (QuoVadis), a ThinkDB database I made for cache pages. I made a menu shortcut in my web browser to spit out abbreviated cache page info into Palm Memo's which I toss into the database and map if needed.

In my database I retain/track my start and finish time for each cache, and use HintDecoder if it comes to that!

Enjoy,

Randy

I have been using my PDA with GPX Spinner and Plucker. It can be customized to your preference (right now my 'nearby caches' are sitting above my 'recent logs' on my pages...I intend to change them around). I also like to keep cache notes on the notepad. Especially usefull if you are doing many caches in a day. You don't have to remember your trade-in / Trade-outs, and then just download and 'cut and paste' to the logs when you get home.

"Could be worse...could be raining"

I keep my PDA updated with info on the nearest 450 caches in the area. I receive a pocketquery that I use WATCHER (very nice!) to break down into Found and Notfound files (rather than getting two pocketqueries). I then take those GPX files and shoot them into SPINNER to generate HTML and the customized gpx files (brilliant program).

I also have PLUCKER setup to grab these HTML files and drop them into my Palm automatically (and easyGPS to load the gpx files into my GPSr).

Sounds complicated but it's a very easy way (really just a few clicks) to keep updated information in my palmpilot and gps. These free programs are a godsend!

There is no reason for any individual to have a computer in his home. - Ken Olsen, President, Digital Equipment, 1977

We use a Compaq Ipaq 3765? or is it 3675? I am unsure right now cause it is not in front of me. But we take FULL advantage of the 3$ a month Charter Membership for the Pocket PC Querys. We have several 500 closest caches querys in for several zip codes. We used to just print out paper or put everything in notepad and put it on the Pocket PC, but the Charter Membership has proved well worth it.

Heather and Nate

quote:
Originally posted by HartClimbs:

I keep my PDA updated with info on the nearest 450 caches in the area. I receive a pocketquery that I use WATCHER (very nice!) to break down into Found and Notfound files (rather than getting two pocketqueries). I then take those GPX files and shoot them into SPINNER to generate HTML and the customized gpx files (brilliant program).

I also have PLUCKER setup to grab these HTML files and drop them into my Palm automatically (and easyGPS to load the gpx files into my GPSr).

Sounds complicated but it's a very easy way (really just a few clicks) to keep updated information in my palmpilot and gps. These free programs are a godsend!

_There is no reason for any individual to have a computer in his home. - Ken Olsen, President, Digital Equipment, 1977_

First of all, I like the quote. I started in computers about that time. Got my first one for Christmas, 1977.

I reciently downloaded and setup the above mentioned programs. I have been using the pocketquery feature since it was available using MobiPocket and EasyGPS. I have a Palm m515 that I've been using. After loading the Palm with the new software and changing the pocketquery to GPX format I was really impressed. The format that is displayed on the Palm is many orders of magnitude better than the MobiPocket. I would definitely recommend using this software over the MobiPocket program. It's a little more work to setup and requires a few more mouse clicks to get the file to your Palm, but the results are worth it. A great thank you to the people that wrote these programs and made them available to us.