My wife geocaches in open-toe sandals.

mckee

quote:
Originally posted by Lone Duck:

Boat shoes. No socks. Poison Ivy stops me cold.

I canoe in Tevas. Does that count?

Isn't Tevas that new clear malt liquor drink?

--------------------

You have the right to defend yourself, even when geocaching!

I did it ONE time...that was it.

Last Saturday as my daughter (11 years old) and I were heading into the woods I noticed she was wearing sandals. Rather than growl about it I decided to see if she could figure out where she went wrong....she's already got her shoes laid out for tomorrow. icon_smile.gif

Bret

"The kingdom of heaven is like treasure hidden in a field.

When a man found it, he hid it again." Mt. 13:44

Nope. Hiking boots only. Wearing sandals in the rocky terrain around here is not the best idea.

Sneakers only if you are Stayfloopy.

"You can't make a man by standig a sheep on his hind legs. But by standing a flock of sheep in that position, you can make a crowd of men" - Max Beerbohm

quote:
Originally posted by Kealia:

Around us the poison oak is about as abundant as the Redwoods.

I can attest to that. Walking out from the Redwoods Barely There, it took all my effort to keep my youngest from walking into poison oak about every third step.

Why is it that young kids can't walk in the center of the trail? icon_mad.gif My older son said it best, "Geez, Dad. How many times are you going to have to tell him to walk in the center of the trail?"

"At least a couple more son." icon_rolleyes.gif

Webfoot frog.gif

5307_800.jpg

Yeah, sure....but did he use a GPSr to find it?

Once in a while I do a set of urban caches and call it my 'Birkenstock caching day'. One day, while on vacation in So. California, I did 6 caches in one town on one day 'Birkenstock Style'. If you know the area, and do your research, you can tailor a day like that.

On normal days...no way! Boots prefered.

"Could be worse...could be raining"

I almost always cache in open toe sandals, and shorts. Sometimes I bushwhack. Yes I get things caught in my sandals, and the stinging nettles are hell. I'm not allergic to poison ivy. I have done 15 mile hikes in sandals. Often times when camping in snow, I wear them around the campsite. Sandals are the way real men cache!

==============="If it feels good...do it"================

**(the other 9 out of 10 voices in my head say: "Don't do it.")**

I've done it in heels! icon_biggrin.gif

Yes, I've worn all types of shoes (and other clothing) caching. You just never know when you're going to be driving right past a cache you didn't intend to stop for...

I have purchased a pair of hiking boots to leave in the car for just such occasions. I'm sure they look real cute with a mini-skirt! icon_wink.gif

============================================

You can't be "FTF", but you could be next...

quote:
I have purchased a pair of hiking boots to leave in the car for just such occasions. I'm sure they look real cute with a mini-skirt!

Just ask a young lady with the trail name of Belcher. She wore a sun dress on parts of the AT as she through hiked it a few years back. That and the Au Natural(unshaved) legs have my vote for wilderness fashion.

"I cache; therefore I am"

Originally posted by mckee:

Anybody else geocache in open-toe sandals? icon_confused.gif

Yes--Ecco Receptors. If I know that I'll be in thorns or poison ivy, I wear socks.

I wear hiking boots for rocky trails, but Florida doesn't have many of them

--

wcgreen

Wendy Chatley Green

I will do easy urban caches in sandals (birks). Otherwise... Nope!

quote:
I have purchased a pair of hiking boots to leave in the car for just such occasions. I'm sure they look real cute with a mini-skirt!

When I was in college, the sundress with army boots look was in style. I think it could work in an off-beat sort of way! icon_smile.gif

pokeanim3.gif

I've hiked in Tevas. Mostly I used to hike in boots. But since they split I've been hiking in sneakers. In the northeast though boots are the recomended footwear.

Nobody can be so amusingly arrogant as a young man who has just discovered an old idea and thinks it is his own.

Sydney J. Harris

I'm not the smartest about footwear.

Flip-flops in a cholla cactus patch, clogs on a rocky cliff slope. No cactus spines, no falling.

Usually I wear mocassins or sandals.

Till a voice, as bad as Conscience, rang interminable changes

On one everlasting Whisper day and night repeated -- so:

"Something hidden. Go and find it. Go and look behind the Ranges --

"Something lost behind the Ranges. Lost and waiting for you. Go!"

Rudyard Kipling , The Explorer 1898

Well, I know the terrain around here, and most of the caches I go to are really easy terrain (I have back, hip, knee and ankle problems, so its hard for me to do harder ones sometimes)...

For most of the ones I do around here, not only could I do them in open toed sandals, I can (and will today) do them in flip flops.

I wear my "Birks" whenever I can - if I feel it is going to get a bit rougher, I put on "boat shoes", and only if walking more than a mile, or off trail, will I put on "real" shoes.

I guess I like as little on my feet as possible...

Hmm... I was about to say "I like my feet free, like the air we breathe" but Since Richard Stallman (one of the open source pioneers - probably the first) says software should be free, like the air we breathe, and that's how I like my feet, should I therefore be able to just say that I like my feet to be like software?

-Jif

quote:
Originally posted by fly46:

Well, I know the terrain around here, and most of the caches I go to are really easy terrain (I have back, hip, knee and ankle problems, so its hard for me to do harder ones sometimes)...

For most of the ones I do around here, not only could I do them in open toed sandals, I can (and will today) do them in flip flops.

The next time I do something this STUPID, will you slap me? Actually, the sad thing is that it wasn't even something stupid. So I went to do a new local cache, and there's this one part where the trail splits... Well, I took the split that ended up going the long way because the other way looked like the trail was gone after a tiny bit, and I didn't go closer to look.. WELL, there was mud everywhere, so when I got to this one part where it was all mud, I figured it was just an inch or two on the surface, right? WRONG!!! I stepped down with my right foot and was suddenly burried up to my knee in the mud! So I pull out my foot - minus my flip flop, which I had to pull on so hard to get it out that I almost fell over. So then I had to finish the cache with mud all up the right side of me. To make matters worse, I'm already a mosquito target, and they were more attracted to me because of the smell of the mud. ICK!

Although I must say that if I didn't have the mobility to take my shoe off now and then that the cache trail would have been harder, because there were a few places that it was better to be barefoot... Never thought monkeys had it so good until then....