A logged DNF that made me laugh!

Kealia

We have a few local people that leave great stories in the logs; I thought I would share one that made me laugh:

Couldn't find this one. I promised the kids a FTF. icon_frown.gif

What a hike! That Buckeye trail is beautiful, but steep.

We had a nice time by the river, but the half hour search turned up nothing. This may need a better hint. We were tempted to start rooting around under things, but resisted the tempation.

The hike back up the hill was brutal. It quickly turned into the Battan Death March. Kids were dropping like flies along the trail. I'll never forget little Taylor slumped on the side of the trail saying, "It's OK Daddy, just go on without me....."

I'm really gonna miss her... icon_wink.gif

Let's see some others (finds or not)!

We loves to read the logz!

Although this isn't a DNF, I found it to be a very entertaining log.

I spent a delightful day geocaching with Spyderuser and Unk, and one of our objectives was to hit a few more of the hides along the Fox that were leftover from the 2003 Chicagoland Picnic, including this cache.

You go caching with Unk, and sooner or later, you're gonna get an earfull. He doesn't hesitate to express his opinion while hunting! Today, he was a little more quiet than usual; probably because he's never gone all day with Spyderuser before and I think he was on his best behavior. But I knew it was only a matter of time before something got Unk started, and today, it was 'Red Oak Riverbank'.

It didn't help that (at the cache just before this one) he'd had an unpleasant encounter with a burr bush; that would get anyone's goat. Then as we approached the search area for this cache, he and Spyderuser took one route, I took the other. Yeah, the underbrush was thick, and there were some thorns, and I was soon thinking that I'd be better off coming out the way Spyderuser and Unk went in. But apparently, it was WORSE their way, as I soon began to hear what sounded like the voice of an extremely loud, irate sailor emanating from their vicinity. 'What the F#@K! Where the S#$% did all these D#$% thorns come from! #$%^& #!! Who placed this piece of C&@P, anyway??'

By now, I just tried to ignore it, as I was onto a pretty hot lead. I'd been finding nearly every stash today, and sure enough (after a few more pricker bushes) I nailed this one, too. I quickly called out to my pals that the hunt was over, hoping to put Unk out of this misery. A smiling Spyderuser popped out of the bushes almost immediately, but behind him, only the voice of Unk followed. 'Did you see this B@#$%'in thorn tree? Just look at the size of these @#$% thorns!'

At last Unk emerged from the bushes, brandishing a broken hawthorn tree branch in one hand, and sucking on the other between expletives. 'I'd just like to know what @#%ing sort of Geocacher thinks it's so D@#$% cool to stash a hide in the middle of a F@#ing thorn patch!' he sputtered, while Spyderuser and I gave each other one of those 'looks'.

By now, Unk was up to full speed. 'How much SKILL does it take to find a quarter in a pile of h@rsesh#t? That's not geocaching, that's just F@#$%ng torture!!' etc., etc.

Well, we did have to admit that he's got a point, and I'll agree: I don't care for caches that are just dumped into unpleasant places because the hider apparently thinks they will be difficult to find. That's not a difficult cache, just an unpleasant one! But, Spyderuser and I just rolled our eyes, because we've both seen a lot of caches MUCH more unpleasant than 'Red Oak Riverbank'.

As a matter of fact, although there are plenty of thorn bushes and thorntrees surrounding the area, the cache itself is in a relatively benign spot, and with a little patience and care, can be uncovered nearly painlessly. But it was too late for Unk. All the way back to the van, we were entertained by his colorful analysis of Geo Fool's intelligence, heritage, and (ahem) apparent errrr… sexual habits.

However, as we reminded Unk of the many Geo Fool caches that he's found and enjoyed in past, he finally began to come around. 'Ok, I guess it's not that bad.' He admitted, probably thinking of how much he'd liked the Fool's 'Slough Safari'. But then, he noticed another thorn protruding from his finger. 'Yeah, but I still don't see any excuse for THIS @#$ hide!'

Well, you can't please everyone all the time. And to be fair, Unk will be very magnanimous in his praise when the cache pleases (but he's a heck of a lot funnier when he's ticked off). Still, I thought 'Red Oak Riverbank' to be a decent stash, and afterwards, Spyderuser let on to me that (thanks to Unk's entertaining dialog) he'd enjoyed this cache more than any of the others we'd done today. - Genius Loci ('the Guardian Spirit of a Place')

lookerline_e0.gif

Fool me once, shame on you, fool me twice, shame on me.

logo_small.jpg

Here's my favorite log from the caches I own (they found it later on). gotta love those 'epic' adventures!

Team Shredded Bark:

O gather ye Trojans (and Oak Parkers and Southfielders) and hear my epic tale of woe; the story of a quest cursed by the (geo)gods, how the mighty Bark has been brought down by a lowly 2/1.5.

JCR first set off on the odyssey on Wednesday 14 May, after bright Apollo had completed more than half of his trip across the sky. Shortly after leaving his chariot, JCR lost his mightier-than-sword pen on the way to the first stage. Despite the help of an eagle-eyed class from a local girls school, the silver pen would not reveal itself. JCR should have heeded this bad omen, losing a thing before even beginning to find, but valiantly he continued onward.

JCR gathered the rest of the clues with the swiftness of winged-footed Hermes (Mercury), remounted his steed and soon numbered the small circular forest of the third stage of the quest. Anticipating a quick find, JCR confidently strode toward the final challenge. Such pride must have annoyed Artemis (Diana) goddess of the hunt and the satellite, for she hid it from his eyes, and he looked in vain that sorry day, his search interrupted frequently by a class from a boys school, who were wandering the woods with their teacher.

JCR returned another day with the able assistance of team mate JTR, but even those 4-year-old eagle eyes could not penetrate the veil Atrtemis had cast, for the coins continued to elude them. Yet since that time, others (less accursed) have found the treasure they seek.

Yea, even after spending another hour in the late evening today, beating the bushes and branches with his staff, JCR emerged from the woods thorn-scratched and beaten, with quest unsatisfied. Despite the assistance of the swift GPS gods, who have granted a good fix leading to the same spot all three days, the quest yet remains unfulfilled. They may have to consult the Oracle at Delphi (world headquarters).

The full and mighty compliment of Team Shredded Bark is planning to mount another journey to this cache, hopeful that their supplications and the feminine skills of bright-eyed huntress MEB may turn the heart of Artemis, or bring the assistance of bright-eyed Athena, and they might complete this quest.

I walk the Maze of Moments, but everywhere I turn to, begins a new beginning, but never finds a finish... -Enya, Anywhere Is

That was a good one, and probably had some influence on my going out and trying it for myself. But this one was pretty funny, and shouted to me, "if the shoe fits" icon_wink.gif

The whole platoon was out today for this nice cache. We parked and headed straight for the bridge, while I turned on the GPS. Got lock easily and followed the arrow. There I stood with head down, looking at the GPS when Sgt Tiki says: Is this it dad?

I reply: No dear, let me see what the GPS says.

Sgt Tiki: OK.

About another minute passes. Sgt Tiki: Are you sure dad? Cause I think this might be it.

Me: Hang on just a second. The GPS is moving around a bit. It's just about settled down and then we'll see where its supposed to be.

Sgt Tiki: OK

another minute passes.

Me: OK. the GPS says it should be about 20 feet over that way. Right about where you are standing.

Sgt Tiki: You mean right here?

Me: Yeah... about there.

Sgt Tiki: So is this it? This thing right here?

Me: uh............. right.

This is a log from my daughter's cache in Wisconsin.

---------------------------------------------------

WISearchers has added a log to your cache (The Ice Age Trail

Trek). You can visit the cache at the following link:

http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_details.asp?ID=66155

User comments:

ok, so we are cheaters...but very bad cheaters! here's the

story. We thought we would save ourselves a bit of hiking by bringing

two cars and parking one on one end near the first waypoint, and the

other at the suggested coords...ahhh...aren't we tricky...so we

did...but wait until you hear how this story unfolds....

hiked an easy walk to the first waypoint. our coords were off

quite a bit on this one and we had to seriously open up our search area,

but we found it safe and sound and in good condition...on to second

waypoint...

this one was much easier than the first as our coords matched

well...but those darn thorny trees really told us that they didn't want

us in their area...nice cache watchers!...on to number three

this was the most difficult of the waypoints to get to. we

weren't looking directly in the right area for a little while, but this

was a cache rich area...and since these were micros, we wanted to search

right away. We were surprised at how quickly we found it though...this

has potential hiding spots everywhere...on to the final...

we don't think we took the right path to get to this

one...although we did take quite the adventuous route...but eventually

ended up finding a part of the trail again and ultimately found the

final leg quickly signed the log TNLN...but our adventure only had just

begun...

you see there was a loophole in our plot to save time in our

attempt to complete is cache after work before dark by driving two cars

thus saving time hiking...hiked back to the car (again probably not the

correct way as we never make it easy on ourselves). Finally made it

back to the car feeling very accomplished...Yes, we completed this one

in record time and just beat dark! Woo hooo...felt great after the

hike...then one member of our team (I wont mention who HE was) said "you

have the keys"...yes, I had the keys, but to MY vehicle...HE left his

keys in MY car...guess where we had to hike? So in our attempt to cheat

a bit (actually we thought we were being resourceful not cheating)...we

ended up having to walk the entire distance and then some to get back to

my vehicle to get HIS keys...there has to be a lesson in this

somewhere...hehehe...

this was an incredibly well thought out and well laid out multi.

Even with our little detour...we loved it! A great time was had! Thank

you for taking the time to put this together...it was cause for quite an

entertaining evening...and for a story that we will be able to

tell...although maybe we wont want to admit...

Thanks!

WISearchers-

Rhonda and Tony

----------------------------------------------------

TerraTrekkers

=[icon_smile.gif]=

Jim & Deb