I am going buggy - Bad week for our TBs

We lost two this past week and will probably send them to the TB Graveyard cache. It is so hard to let go. One TB was placed in a cache and the cache was destoryed before it moved. Another TB was put in one of ours and someone took it and never logged it. I tried to find the cacher on line after inspection of the physical log cache book but to know avail. That is my #1 geocaching Pet Peeve. Cachers who do not know what do or how to treat Travel Bugs abusing them. Those tags are not cheap so it is always a dissapointment when they are mistreated. It is a shame that I am starting to feel like I do not want to buy anymore Bugs. How can geocaching.com better educate cachers on Travel Bugs. One thing I am seeing is that individual cachers are improving on directivies with thier bug so we are going to do that also. Have others had these problems too?

Wags, Russ & Erin

I feel your pain. Of the three I've started this year:

1) Turned up missing before it was even retreived from it's starting cache.

2) Turned up missing. One log placed it at the cache, the next log said it was nowhere to be found.

3) Still out there, but the second person to retreive it has had it for 3 months so it hasn't done very much this year.

I restarted number 1 with the copy tag this weekend, I'll see how it ends up. So right now in regards to TBs I'm at two strikes and a foul tip.

Eswau

[This message was edited by Eswau on May 12, 2003 at 11:38 AM.]

My first one was taken by an active local geocacher, who then held onto it for 5 months and ignored several of my inquiries about it. It was finally placed in a cache 300 miles away, but the next few finders of that cache said it wasn't in there.

My guess is that the person lost it and was afraid to admit it, but I can't be certain.

The other 5 TB's I started are still out there. Funny though two of are very active, while the rest rarely move.

"It has been my experience that folks who have no vices have very few virtues" -Abraham Lincoln

Yes we recently found one in rocks in 3 feet of snow in Pennsylvania. It had been around the worlkd and 23k miles in 13 months and needed to get to North Carolina and its home base to complete the mission. Well we took it to a caching event (Where bugs get tossed like hot potatoes) and it got lost in the process and finally logged but before I could even log it in the cache I placed it. I finally got that straightened out after I heard through the whisper down the lane who got it. They kept it for a long time and then I heard that the bug and the TB tag were seperated in the last cache seen. Well luckily that did not and about two weeks ago the TB made it to its final destination. 24K miles around the world in 14 months with many exotic ports of call including Spain and Austrailia. I was relieved and also learned a lesson. I will never take a bug to a caching event again.

Wags, Russ & Erin

I'm holding my breath on this one.

http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_details.aspx?ID=22870

Turtle Boy is in a race with Rasta Man which was placed in a cache in Virginia by a person who made the point of saying that the cache was out of the way and only visited every 3 months or so. Go figure. I think when all my bugs are finaly gone I won't buy more.

I have my own little world. But it's OK...they know me here.

I was having a TB race with a friend of mine in Buffalo, to see who's bug could get to the other's city the fastest. His first entry was lost in Canada, and mine was incinerated during a controlled burn here in Florida... I think he has a replacement out there somewhere - guess I'd better get my second entry out as well. icon_rolleyes.gif

----

When in doubt, poke it with a stick.

quote:
Originally posted by Last Lap Gang:

We lost two this past week and will probably send them to the TB Graveyard cache. It is so hard to let go. One TB was placed in a cache and the cache was destoryed before it moved. Another TB was put in one of ours and someone took it and never logged it.

Don't graveyard the un-logged one quite yet. Someone with no geocaching.com login took our bug from a cache, and left a note in the cache saying he'd 'kidnapped' it. I waited a while, finally despaired, and then suddenly the person logged the bug (though he/she/it never did log any caches, including the one the bug was removed from)! By then I'd already graveyarded it, so it took some messing around to undo my own damage to the mileage, etc. (But of courrse, you CAN un-do graveyarding, it's not irrevocable, so either way you go, if the bug turns up again things will be fine.)

But if it's only been a week, I'd give it more time before acting. It may turn up in another cache somewhere, or the person may grow a conscience. I'd say give it a month or so, unless you think people are visiting the cache it used to be in for the sole purpose of snagging the bug, and being disappointed.

See this thread in Northwest Forum for a good news story on a bug that had been missing for nine months. It seems that a cacher had picked it up at an event cache and eventually moved from Wisconsin to Seattle. There was a log book with the bug and it showed nothing for the nine months. I had the good fortune to pick it up one day after it resurfaced. I just placed it in another cache this morning.

Good things do happen sometimes, even after a long wait.

Weight Man

quote:
Originally posted by Last Lap Gang:

<SNIP> Those tags are not cheap so it is always a dissapointment when they are mistreated. It is a shame that I am starting to feel like I do not want to buy anymore Bugs. <SNIP>

Wags, Russ & Erin

I know the feeling. I have not been overwhelmed by the movements of the three i have released so far. None has been active a very long time, and I haven't given up on any, yet. However, it hasn't been thrilling either,

The first one was picked up two months ago by relatively new cachers who haven't logged a cache since.

The second sat in a bug hotel in Virginia for a while, then was picked up and placed in a Pennsylvania cache that doesn't get a lot of visits.

The third was picked up by some very active local cachers two weeks ago. I haven't started worrying about that one yet.

My son and i are getting the fourth ready to release in our next new cache. So I guess we'll see...

You put a tag on something, send it off, see what happens. You are at the mercy of cachers that you probably don't know. Of course, the same is true of caches. you never know what will happen after you hide one.

Uncertainty of travel bug travels is part of the game. You have to expect it. Of course, you also have to include the performance of existing bugs when you decide if you are going to order any more.

Dave_W6DPS

My two cents worth, refunds available on request. (US funds only)