"Hidden" Cost of Geocaching

Guest tecmage

Guest tecmage

Hey All,

When Tracy and myself decided we where going to take up Geocaching, we focused on the cost of buying a GPS unit. Since February, we've spent a few extra $$$ on Geocaching:

-Etrex Legend

-MapSource Software

-Platypus (2 Liter, "cheap" backpack model)

-Walking sticks (Aluminum)

-Invested in a "signature item" and other

trinkets (really need to stock up at the

next campus career fair) icon_smile.gif

-A few cans of Off and Repel

-Power Bars, Gatorade Bars, Power Gel

-A few tanks of gas rolleyes.gif

-Two trips to the Doctor (nasty fall on ice)

-A couple of nights in hotels

It has been very much worth it. We've seen parts of Iowa, Minnesota, Kansas, and Missouri we would not have seen otherwise.

What have you purchased/spent in the quest to Geocache?

Richard and Tracy

Guest gstrong1

3 GPS units,(Garmin III Plus,eTrex Vista & MAP76), 4 different mapping software programs, hiking gear that I never thought I'd buy otherwise, about $150.00 worth of little prizes to put in caches.Another $100.00 or so in nicer prizes.And 20 retired 50 cal. ammo boxes to hold the goodies that I place out in the wilderness. I consider every penny well spent. I love this activity! And, if like they say, "Time is Money", OH BOY!!! icon_biggrin.gif.

------------------

Gary "Gimpy" Strong

Rochester,NY

Guest celts

find a cache. 2 Etrex units, we've hidden 5 caches at about $25-$30 a piece, all the stuff that had to go into our backpacks--bug spray, handi wipes---little stuff like that. New hiking boots--since I have FINALLY realized that Birkenstocks don't cut it on a trail. We ordered 4 hats from this site--which weren't cheap, but it's way more fun than I've had in ages, so I don't care how much money it costs. And now a little quote we can all live by: are you listening Jeremy? icon_wink.gif

" We owe something to extravagance, for thrift and adventure seldom go hand in hand." Jennie Jerome Churchill

Guest bunkerdave

Oh boy, where to begin?

Magellan Map330X - $250

Hiking Shoes $40

3 Geocaching.com t-shirts $45

1 geocaching.com hat $20

1 wal-mart brand camelpak. $40

1 Walking stick $10

Cache Items - $150

Countless tanks of Gas $???

1 Tire Replacement $25

GPS case $15

Extra Platypus - $12

Signature Item - $30

Ammo Cans - $20

Tupperware - $10

2 Topo map software packages - $75

DeLorme Topo Maps - $19

Survival/First Aid Kit - $12

Compass - $20

Binoculars - $35

Oh, Yeah - Experiences I never would have had, places I never would have been, and people I never would have met otherwise...

PRICELESS! icon_biggrin.gif

[This message has been edited by bunkerdave (edited 23 July 2001).]

[This message has been edited by bunkerdave (edited 23 July 2001).]

Guest Exocet

Uh yeah, like Bunkerdave said ..."Where to begin?"

Chad and I, collectively, have spent...

- 1 Geode GPS $250

- 1 Geocaching.com hat $23 (or so)

- 1 Cassin ice axe - $50

- 1 Tire replacement $0 (Les Schwab)

- 1 car battery $60

- various books with hiking trails listed, survival info, etc. -$50

- DeLorme maps (the paper ones). $60

- Green Trail maps $10

- countless misc. cache items $75-100

- Anti-Insect/plant juice - $15-20

- 3 compasses - $27

- Gas at approx $5-$7.50/per weekend $125-190

- Batteries (oh god, I fear how much...) $40-60?

- NiMH battery recharger + some NiMH's $40 or so

- Geode GPS car adaptor $40

The list goes on. Fortnately, I already had a lot of stuff I needed - hiking shoes, survival kits, backpacks, etc. Chad and I have been geocaching nearly every weekend now for about 25 weeks. I've probably seen more of Oregon in that time than I had in the past five years. If we keep it up at this rate, by the end of the year I'll have seen more of Oregon than I previously had in my entire life.

Guest CaptHawke

It would be interesting to know what percentage of cachers are totally new to woodsey type activities and are having to go out and invest big bucks in outdoor gear, versus those folks who were all geared up when they first heard about geocaching. Its great to hear that this is getting people out into the woods who wouldn't have been there otherwise and boosting our sluggish economy at the same time. A fine way to spend the check that's coming from the IRS.

My cost so far has been negligible since I had a full load of toys (gps, trail shoes/boots, packs, mtb, canoe, xc-skis, snowshoes and all the misc stuff) before hearing of geocaching. I've just been slowly incorporating this new activity into things I already do. Don't think I could justify the expense to my spouse if I was starting from scratch. (She hasn't shown much interest yet, other than to admire one particular item in the cache I'm preparing. I told her that if she wants it, she'll have to go find it out in the woods.)

Maybe the big retailers like REI would be smart to offer a full geocaching kit(see the 'What do you bring geocaching/hiking?' thread). There might be some money to be made catering to newbies.

Guest celts

We would fall into that group "of cachers that are totally new to woodsey type activities and are having to go out and invest big bucks in outdoor gear" Until now, we gardened and golfed (always with a cart!), so that should also tell you our level of fitness.

Guest db8tr

quote:
Originally posted by CaptHawke:

It would be interesting to know what percentage of cachers are totally new to woodsey type activities and are having to go out and invest big bucks in outdoor gear, versus those folks who were all geared up when they first heard about geocaching.

I have been into outdoors type activities for quite a while, way before geocaching. The only expenses specifically for geocaching for me would be:

• Garmin III+ (factory refurbished) $210
  • NimH Batteries for above gps $15
  • Random Topo maps $4 each
  • Gas $?
  • Ammo Cans $4 - $5 each

There are probably more, but that is all I can think of for the moment. Most of my cache items for exchange come from random neat things I have around the house. I haven't yet had to pay for cache exchange items. I think the expense it totally worth it. I have had a lot of fun and learned to use a gps... which has become a valuable tool for my normal outdoor activities.

Guest tecmage

Batteries?!?!? How could I forget about batteries? Based on a previous post, we'vr been using rechargables, and have cut our battery costs big time! (Spent $20 two months ago).

Richard and Tracy

Guest Elwood

my costs so far:

etrex vista $350.00

camelbak $100.00, worth every penny btw

gas OUCH!

signature item $15.00

compass $10.00

topo maps garmin mapsource $109.00 BUNK! i think that garmin is following to closely to some other things i dont like by making their units propietary, only compatible with mapsource maps, would be different if mapsource had BEST maps available, but they arent. just my opinion.

new boots $125.00 Doc. Martens, worth every penny

misc.cache containers and contents $100.00 and climbing!

and now what i get and the value from geocaching

things i have traded for, $25.00 if that much

a new hobby that i enjoy: $500.00

time spent outside enjoying what we get so little time to do anymore, being with my kids and wife, meeting and making new friends: PRICELESS

Guest Hard Slate

I've always been an outdoorsy type.So I have a good bit of gear.Buying my gps12 is how I hooked up with geocaching,so that one doesn't count.

So my expenses have been pretty low so far:

interface cable and cig. lighter adapter for my gps12 about $45 (ebay)

etrex Legend $220

interface cable for legend about $35

lighter adapter for legend about $35

new fannypack(my old one is full of geocaching stuff) $?

endless supply of AA batteries

mapping software $25 (ebay)

containers,pencils,logbooks,flashlights(for caches)other trinkets and stuff for future caches.............

Guest k2dave

Items I got before I knew about geocaching:

Garmin 3+

Topousa

computer/printer/dsl

all hiking gear (boots, compass (actually a diving compass) altimeter, etc.

Nimh batts/recharger

NYS empire passport (state park season pass)

And what I got for geocaching:

Batteries (actually I still have lots of kirkland AA's remaining but I left a few in some caches) (0.88 distrubuted)

4 ammo cases (apx $30)

2 boston chicken containers

So far no entry fees and not much gas.

Guest bunkerdave

I used to camp out a couple times a year, but not being from the area I now live in, I spent little time hiking around. Just didn't know where to go. I had the necessary camping gear, but as far as hiking, I was not well equipped.

I golf about once a week (still) and I always walk. 9 holes takes about 2.5 miles, which is very tame compared to a lot of hikes I have been on lately. Golf is a pretty expensive sport, too, but mostly I just wanted to be outside. Geocaching was a great fit for me.

I spent most of the $$$ I did just getting outfitted for the HUNT, but if I take the next step, as I intend, and go to placing only level 5 caches, I will have to invest in climbing gear (at least) and maybe scuba lessons and gear, and perhaps a canoe, and maybe a paraglider/ultralight/gyrocopter and the necessary lessons and possibly some high altitude mountaineering gear, and sherpas, and....could get expensive. Anyone want to hire a "professional" geocacher?

Guest Sluggo

I guess I've been lucky in regard to cost control.

I already had the GPS III Pilot (for flying)

I already had the (becoming famous) black backpack. Of course I never used it.

We've spent about $35 on cache containers and $65 on cache contents.

I already had MapTech Software.

Probably $100 on travel expense.

Probably $100,000,000 on batteries. icon_wink.gif

I already had the digital camera, binoculars, bee sting kits, canteens, etc.

The biggest cost was the lost cell phone (Juniper Dunes) not in $ but the 237 phone #s that I didn't record elsewhere.

In terms of value, we think it would be a bargin at twice the price.

Our costs thus far...

GPS (Lowrance GlobalNav 12) $30 (bought it off a co-worker)

Batteries (unit eats 4 batts a trip (at least)) $3 a trip (rayovac maximum)

1/2 case of Water (6 bottles) per trip $1.25

(Wal-mart 2 cases for $5)

Signature Items (10) $1.49 each

Gas for the 200+ mile round trip (each trip) $15 a trip

assorted band-aids and first aid creme $0 (stole them from work!!) icon_biggrin.gif

assorted replacment supplies (per trip) $5

total cost per trip approx $25.00

number of trips so far 3

caches found 13

caches tried 16

total cost to date $75 approx.

total cost per cache $ 4.69

time spent with wife $ priceless

Guest rediguana

I think my ciggy power adapter has already paid for itself by the number of batteries I have saved. Probably only used 3x4AA's for 30+ caches over 3 months. Batteries are only needed when on the final hunt. Well worth consideration!

Cheers Gav

Guest CharlieP

I "borrowed" a Boy Scout compass and an old backpack from my college age son, who has no use for these at this time in his life. icon_wink.gif My only expenditures so far have been for gasoline and for trinkets to trade.

CharlieP

Guest ClayJar

Most of the things here have come out of my pocket (I had basically nothing when I started), but I have one that hasn't been mentioned yet: I finally got around to requesting a personalized plate. ("CLAYJAR", of course.) It counts as a cost of geocaching, since I've been thinking about it for years, but now that I've been driving long ways, it seemed like a more reasonable idea. icon_wink.gif

According to the form, it apparently takes something like four months to get one here, but whenever I get it, keep your eyes open for "CLAYJAR" from Louisiana anywhere in the southeast. icon_biggrin.gif

But Honey look at it this way. If I hadn't gone 'caching yesterday I would have been golfing.

gas to golf course and back - $8

green fee - $50

power cart - $15

golf balls (3) - $6

refreshments on course - $10

lunch after nine - $8

19th hole - $(not saying)

Guest PharoaH

I already had a GPS for use with Street Atlas USA on family trips and vacations. I already had boots, a backpack, and a water bottle. So where did we spend our $$$ ?

Additional eTrex (for my wife) $109

Hiking boots for my wife $145

Great socks $8

More great socks $10

Two Ammo cans $12

Cache stockers $50

Trade items $30

The best investment yet- Boy was I surprised: Merino Wool socks. They keep your feet feeling cool and dry even in the Georgia "rainforest". A close runner-up: real hiking boots. Hers are awesome, I want a new pair icon_biggrin.gif

Guest Gossamyrrh

E-trex $80 (got it on sale *and* got a rebate)

Boots $30 (there is a Timberland outlet up the highway from me)

Camelbak $50

Hiking stick $55

Tanks of gas- too darn much. Makes up for all the money I saved.