Hmm, Iraq has GPS jammers..

CCrew

If they are sending out a signal then they can guide a wild weasel to themselves. Just makes them a first target during communication, radar, and lock on guidance take out.

** The worst suggestion of a life time may be the catalyst to the best idea of the century, don't fail to listen to suggestions.

Maybe we can write Saddam a letter and he'll see the light and change his anti-geocaching sentiments.

Cache in - Trash Out may have a whole new meaning in Bagdad shortly.

Way back in the days when the grass was still green

and the pond was still wet

and the clouds were still clean,

and the song of the Swomee-Swans rang out in space...

one morning, I came to this glorious place.

I would expect that the military has already anticipated such devices and planned countermeasures.

For example, maybe they build some antennas that focus on high-in-the-sky sats and ignore anything coming from earth and horizon.

I guess it would be trivial to jam civilian receivers, but I'm sure big bucks have been poured into making the military systems very robust.

Then, like someone said, it seems it would be fairly easy to target the bogus transmitters.

George

hmmmm.... 200 new targets in IRAQ....

lmost any thing electronic transmits a passive or active (transmitters) signal, if it can be detected, it can be traced and destroyed...

Dale

--------------------------------------------------------

I'm Diagonally Parked, In A Parallel Universe.

-------------------------A-------------------------------

quote:
Originally posted by MaxEntropy:

...and we have HARM missiles.

High-speed Anti- Radiation Missiles

Mickey

Max Entropy

More than just a name, a lifestyle.

200 cigar boxes at $200 get wiped out by 200 harm missles at a cost of what $5000 each? Plus the $20 or $30K each it takes to deliver them. Oh boy, we spending my money now.

The early bird may get the worm, but the second mouse gets the cheese.

<<<<200 cigar boxes at $200 get wiped out by 200 harm missles at a cost of what $5000 each? Plus the $20 or $30K each it takes to deliver them. Oh boy, we spending my money now.

The early bird may get the worm, but the second mouse gets the cheese. >>>>

Lets see a GPS constellation and you paid how much for your receiver??? Some of the best tax dollars ever spent. GPS jammers are a joke. Not only because they emit a signal but also because they are line of site. We don't have GPS guided bombs. We have GPS aided bombs. The bombs can be dropped without any GPS signals to very good accuracy.

quote:
Originally posted by infosponge:

It's nice that we have all that spiffy stuff that can take out Iraq's army.

Now if we only had a president that understood the economy...

"Will Geocache For Food"

I don't get it. What part of the economy don't you like? After 20 years of military service, and 2 years of studying beyond that, my life has never been better. Preparation is everything, and hard work is rewarded. Nothing is free. There is nothing wrong with this economy except a screwed up world situation. Fortunately, we have a man of honor in command now. I guess some liked it better before. It's the economy, stupid!... as the twin towers come crashing down because there was no security. Sheesh.... I lost $20k in my investments last year. It's OK, it will come back, and I am in no hurry. It is only a loss on paper, till you sell. I still have the same amount of shares.

Mike. Desert_Warrior (aka KD9KC).

El Paso, Texas.

Citizens of this land may own guns. Not to threaten their neighbors, but to ensure themselves of liberty and freedom.

They are not assault weapons anymore... they are HOMELAND DEFENSE WEAPONS!

quote:
Originally posted by Desert_Warrior:

quote:

It's nice that we have all that spiffy stuff that can take out Iraq's army.

Now if we only had a president that understood the economy...

"Will Geocache For Food"

I don't get it. What part of the economy don't you like? After 20 years of military service, and 2 years of studying beyond that, my life has never been better.

El Paso, Texas.

Could not have said it better myself Desert Warrior! What people dail to recognize is the President realizes that the international situation is a major cause of the economic troubles we are having and he is going to take action instead of sitting at home and wringing his hands about it. The problem is people going around acting like things are just so terrible and that is must be the President's fault since he's in office at a time when the previous administration's sins are coming home to roost.

Sorry, I'm not buying it, the current President is just trying to clean up the mess left by the last one, and it's not his fault what has occured. I'll certainly hold him accountable if he fails to take action, that's for sure.

"Trade up, trade even, or don't trade!!!" My philosophy of life.

The only sectors that are benefiting are the oil companies, military contractors, and the Carlyle Group (which if course Bush Jr. is going to benefit greatly from when Bush Sr. dies and he inherits it all).

I'm suprised that military folks are willing to die to help the rich get even richer...it sure isn't about protecting our freedoms. icon_frown.gif

...but this is going OT. Sorry. So...how 'bout that GPS reception in Iraq? Is it good? Are the UN inspectors out geocaching while they're there?

quote:

The only sectors that are benefiting are the oil companies, military contractors, and the Carlyle Group (which if course Bush Jr. is going to benefit greatly from when Bush Sr. dies and he inherits it all).

Hmmm... I work in none of those areas, yet my life is prospering beyond my greatest hopes when I retired from the army. Is it possible that my first statement is true? Preparatrion and hard work pays off. Nobody is going to hand you your life, you need to go out and earn it. I am not making excuses, I am making a life. There are a hundred reasons I could have failed, and a hundred people who told me I won't make it. The maximum effective range of an excuse is ZERO METERS!

quote:

I'm suprised that military folks are willing to die to help the rich get even richer...it sure isn't about protecting our freedoms.

Perhaps it is because the good soldiers in our armed forces has gotten beyond wringing wheir hands and complaining about the economy, having realized that without national security, the economy cannot long survive. As was pointed out above, at least we have a leader now who is able to recognize that fact. As far as the economy, quit listening to the liberal press and look at the real reports yourself. Yes, we took a hit in 2000, which started BEFORE Mr. Bush took office, but this Christmas sales topped last years sales, which was itself a record. We won't see the growth of the 90s again, nor will we see the artificially inflated market values either. But the numbers indicate that the economy is growing, although at a slower rate. And that isn't all bad. The market is artifically depressed right now, due to fears such as yours. For me, this is great. It is BUY BUY BUY for me! A few years from now I believe I will reap the benefits. I prefer it over sitting and wringing my hands while I complain. Preparation and hard work pay off. And the maximum effective range of an excuse is still ZERO METERS.

To gell this by answering your question, caching in IRAQ for the next several months would not be a good idea. Remember the thread about sudden loss of GPS signals? Read it again, and decide for yourself. However, if you do go, and you run into my son (geocache name Army_Scout) on the front lines of the Cavalry assault, please tell him his dad and his country are proud of him!

El Paso, Texas.

Citizens of this land may own guns. Not to threaten their neighbors, but to ensure themselves of liberty and freedom.

Yes, it takes a strong military to have a strong economy.

As someone once said "The function of a strong military is not to wage war. The function of strong military is to deter war." In this case the military buildup and preparation is sending a strong signal to saddam. The more troops and equipment we send there the more willing to cooperate and compliant with the U.N. sanctions he becomes. The best possible outcome to this scenario is saddam looks at the impending invasion by the strongest military in the history of the world and realizes 100% compliance with the U.N. is a real good alternative. Then everyone wins without firing a shot. saddam will never be sweet talked into being a good guy.

Retreating into our shell and becoming isolationist will guarantee a future war. If 'sticking our nose into everyone's business' means we prevent a nuke or a bio attack in New York or Chicago then I'm all for it.

========================================

Friends don't let Friends geocache drunk.

Everytime I hear someone complain about the economy here in the US, I wish I could take them to some of the places around the world where life is really tough. Kosovo comes to mind, as does Somalia, there are some places in Eastern Europe and Southeast Asia that would bring tears to the average American's eyes. The majority of Europeans could not hope to aspire to our standard of living.

After 32 years in the Army I developed a true appreciation for what we have.

Hiemdahl

Carpet bombing.

QUOTE]

To be honest, I'd be impressed if you would sort out 'them' from 'us' in that case!

Heard on the radio that flourecent markers on the top of British vehicles did not stop them from being hit. In fact, more of ours were killed by Americans than Iraqis in the last lot!!

Freindly fire? I would rather not be shot by anyone, let alone a friend....

--... ...--

Morseman

Originally posted by Morseman:

Carpet bombing.

QUOTE]

ers on the top of British vehicles did not stop them from being hit. In fact, more of ours were killed by Americans than Iraqis in the last lot!!

Got to agree with you there, Morseman - scariest thing this time round isn't Uncle Saddam and his apparently entirely fictional arsenal of scary bombs - I'm more worried if the USAF has to provide close air support.

quote:
We might have to go back to basics.

Carpet bombing.

Seems a shame to destroy all those beautiful Persian Carpets. Especially the Flying Carpets. But we will do as we must!

On another note, I think Saddam learned the last time that the usual Air-Land Battle Doctrine did not work, at least for him. His units could not match the USA in the standard ground-manuver warfare. I would look for something radically different this time. Dunno what, but insanity is repeating the same mistake and expecting a different result.

And I agree... you need to leave this country for a while, and go to other less fortunate lands, then tell me how bad our economy is. As long as you can suck air, you have an endless line of opportunity available almost nowhere else on the planet. Sorry if your silver spoon gets tarnished with a little adversity. There is a reason this country is what it is today. And it isn't the economy, stupid. (sorry). Back to my first post. Preparation and hard work.

Sorry to my Brit friend above. Friendly fire - ISN'T!

Been there, done that. Medals and DD-214 on request.

El Paso, Texas.

I used to wonder how in the heck normal God fearing regular German citizens could just sit back and let the Nazis and the military take things over and do the things they did. I wonder less and less these days. Before you all jump up my crack let me just say I spent 6 years in the military and some 21 years in government service of one kind or another. I need to appologize to no one for my views. I guess I have just one question. As regards to the war on terrorism, how do we know we have won? Do you honestly think bombing people will make them decide to be our friends? If it's anything like the war on drugs we are in for a long haul indeed. icon_frown.gif

Yes I have finds, yes I have hides and yes I'm a charter member. My wife will not let me use our account on the forums...don't know why.

quote:
Originally posted by Dave54:

We know they have 200 cigar box sized objects but a couple hundred weapons inspectors cannot find a single nuclear arms or bio warfare factory???

All we need is a nuclear arms factory locationless cache. Then in a matter of days, there'll be pictures and coordinates for all of them. icon_biggrin.gif

We on this forum should not have much to complain about. We all have enough extra money left over from feeding ourselves and family, providing shelter, fueling our autos, (and many other fantistic things not even thought of in many places in the world), to purchase toys like GPSr's and these plastic brains we use to log into these very forums. ... plus the extra TIME not used to provide for food and lodging, .. to play find the cache. ... we are all truly rich!

** The worst suggestion of a life time may be the catalyst to the best idea of the century, don't fail to listen to suggestions.

In regards to the war on terrorism. I have no idea how you know if you won it. But I do know that you absolutly have to fight it.

It's like the bully in school. Until you screw up your courage and wack the bastard you will get to deal with them one heck of a lot more often.

Terrorism may never go away, but you can take some of the fun out of it for them.

Wherever you go there you are.

It appears to me that by selling GPS "jammers", Russia has proven adept at marketing questionable products to a state hungry for the latest technology.

In fact, a recent intelligence report noted the level to which Iraq has relied upon "unusual" combat gear from the international community. It appears that Sadam's elite troops have been given SASD units (sound activated switching device) to remotely trigger the firing of weapons. A simple clap of the hands is all that is needed to activate the system.

Cheers!

BP

quote:
Originally posted by BletchleyPark:

In fact, a recent intelligence report noted the level to which Iraq has relied upon "unusual" combat gear from the international community. It appears that Sadam's elite troops have been given SASD units (sound activated switching device) to remotely trigger the firing of weapons. A simple clap of the hands is all that is needed to activate the system.

BP

Oh man, that is too good.....LOL. "Clap on" (BOOM). "Clap off" (BOOM).

As for the previous poster understanding how the Nazi's got the populous to go along with them, I think you are so far off base as to not even know whether it's day or night my friend. How you can even put that concept and how we are currently dealing with the international situation in the same category is way beyond my poor powers of reasoning. As a former officer in the armed forces I was trained to protect innocents even while prosecuting warfare with extreme violence toward enemy combatants. Big difference there. I was also taught from day one the difference between a lawful order and an unlawful one, and my DUTY to disobey an unlawful one ( as an example, say, rounding up and murdering 6 million Jews for instance).

The Nazi regime took over an entire country and attempted to enslave a world, how in the world can you compare that to what we are doing. If we had been a little wiser and a little less selfish in the 30's we'd have treated Hitler like we are now treating Saddam and there would not have been a WWII. If Hitler had been held to the limits of the treaties signed at the end of WWI and not allowed to build up a military in violvation of those treaties, there would be a lot of people alive a lot longer than they were.

You live in a country where some people have woke up and decided they are no longer going to listen to the dribble about "it's just to get the oil" or "it's just to make the rich richer" etc, etc. What a crock. I don't give a rat's butt whether anybody makes a dollar off what happpens, that happens whether we go to war or not. What I care about is taking out those that would make things worse, and that is the intent of those we are going up against. They flew planes into the World Trade Center for crying out loud! They got their funding and training from leaders in the middle east. We are taking out the worst of the worst in the order in which we think will do the most good the quickest. That takes military might and determination.

And yes, my sons are there as well, both in the Navy and both there voluntarily, they didn't have to be drafted. I am extremely proud of them and trust they will do their duty as required. Then they can come home to a country a little more secure than it was before. We can only pray that is the case.

Now, let's get those borders secure, eh?

icon_biggrin.gif

"Trade up, trade even, or don't trade!!!" My philosophy of life.

Sorry to my Brit friend above. Friendly fire - ISN'T!

Been there, done that. Medals and DD-214 on request.

El Paso, Texas.

I agree that the term is missleading, but that's what it's called by the 'media' and I suspect people can imagine what it means. icon_frown.gif

I guess it happens in all wars, but you would have though that something better than flourecent paint might have been developed by now. And even that didn't work all the time.

If bombs are so smart, why do they blow themselves up?

--... ...--

Morseman

Hate to burst your bubble, but whatever we do in Iraq militarily isn't going to make us more secure here in the USA. You can't *fight* terrorism, you have to *prevent* terrorism. The WTC's getting bombed was just long overdue buzzards coming home to roost as a result of decades of shortsighed foreign policy on our part...trying to rectify it now by sending in our military (whom I have the greatest respect and appreciation for) is more for the feelgood benefit of the voters back home than actually accomplishing any good in the world. It's likely going to make things worse in the long run.

You can't burst a bubble from inside a shell.

Terrorism and Iraq are two related but different issues.

So... you think we should have let Hitler continue???

....we have the same thing happening now in Iraq except we are NOT going to let this one get that kind of a grip on the world!!!!!!!!!!

..end of policy... we just use all our resources and intelligence the best way we know how. .. exactly what is happening. Being the most powerful country on Earth puts us in a position of responsibility. It doesn't matter if we like it or not, the responsibility is still there! We can not have another Viet Nam nor Hitler. A thin tight rope to walk!

don't tell people to lay off the president, that's the only way our social system works is by making fun of the person above you and working the people below you without those we'd be screwed it works at school, churches, jobs, etc...

Imagination is the one weapon in the war against reality.

It doesn't matter if we like it or not, the responsibility is still there! We can not have another Viet Nam nor Hitler. A thin tight rope to walk!

Ah, good, so you intend to sort all the other 'hot' spots who seem to have more extreme governments, and seem to like to either invade other countries or oppress their own people, as well then?

Places like Israel, Zimbabwe, Saudi Arabia, Burma etc.

Oh, and did anyone ever bring any charges against anyone held from that other country which America liberated? How long has it been now, a year?

Tell me again, democracy is about being elected by the majority of the voters, in elections which can be shown to be fair. Hummm, now where did I last hear that an election seemed to be won by someone who actually got in because their friends used the system to evade the wishes of the electorate?

Even in my own country electorates seem to be beginning to think that voting is a waste of time, because the government always wins. icon_razz.gif

--... ...--

Morseman

Question: What is the difference between Iraq and North Korea?

Answer: North Korea doesn't possess the second largest reserve of oil in the whole wide world.

And spare me the talk of using Iraq as an 'example' to North Korea ...it's all about the oil, plain and simple.

Don't be so quick to go to war with Iraq ...you could end up opening up a can of worms that makes our current 'terror' problems pale in comparison.

It was when daddy was in office & it still is. Just what are they trying to get our minds off of this time. We lost Bin, or so they tell us, so now we are going back to the draft & attack Iraq???? What gives here??? I love my country.

I have seen how the other half lives. The other half ( a country in Europe I visited) remembered two things about the U.S. VietNam & Watergate. And said that we Americans are spoiled. Well, we are. But, I also told them that we work hard for what we have. I do anyway. I better stop now, I'll get more than I can retype on.

rocker..........

quote:
Originally posted by clps:

Question: What is the difference between Iraq and North Korea?

Answer: North Korea doesn't possess the second largest reserve of oil in the whole wide world.

And spare me the talk of using Iraq as an 'example' to North Korea ...it's all about the oil, plain and simple.

Don't be so quick to go to war with Iraq ...you could end up opening up a can of worms that makes our current 'terror' problems pale in comparison.

How simple minded can you be?

The differences between Iraq and N. Korea are many. The biggest difference is that NK probablly already has a couple of nukes. Beyound that they have 1000000 man army ready to cross that border at a moments notice and the ability to lauch hundreds of artillary shells into the Seoul at a moments notice within the first 2 minutes of any conflict.

The point with Iraq is that you have to STOP the SOB BEFORE he has nukes and the like to threaten other countries as he has done many times in the past. Do you want to go back and deal with him AFTER he has a nuke?

george

39570_500.jpg

Pedal until your legs cramp up and then pedal some more.

quote:

Hate to burst your bubble, but whatever we do in Iraq militarily isn't going to make us more secure here in the USA. You can't *fight* terrorism, you have to *prevent* terrorism. The WTC's getting bombed was just long overdue buzzards coming home to roost as a result of decades of shortsighed foreign policy on our part...trying to rectify it now by sending in our military (whom I have the greatest respect and appreciation for) is more for the feelgood benefit of the voters back home than actually accomplishing any good in the world. It's likely going to make things worse in the long run.

Preventing Sadam from further developement of bio and nuclear weapons (which he would gleafully share with terrorists), isn't going to make us amy more secure here in the USA?????

$1000 Bill

quote:
Originally posted by Treasure Hunters Inc.:

Preventing Sadam from further developement of bio and nuclear weapons (which he would gleafully share with terrorists), isn't going to make us amy more secure here in the USA?????

$1000 Bill

Really? So we here we are with a tyrant and a nuke and he says to the world.. I'm going go ahead and finish what I started and take invade the neighboring countries. If anyone tries to stop me, I'll nuke Israel. What are our options? Nuke Bahgdad? Do you really want to have someone make that decision?

The fact is he's already state that since the colapse of the Soviet Union there needs to be another super power besides the US and he wants to be it.

The fact is he's already invaded other neighboring countries to reach those ends.

The fact is he's been trying to build nukes.

Let Hitler invade Poland, he's given his word that's all he wants.

Would you like to come back with another glib response to a complex situation?

george

39570_500.jpg

quote:
Originally posted by Treasure Hunters Inc.:

I guess you didn't get my point.

My glib response as you put it was not an agreement with infosponge. I was questioning his logic. I think allowing Sadam to continue and do nothing to prevent him would be almost criminal.

$1000 Bill

My bad. icon_wink.gif

george

39570_500.jpg

and speak out against war. It has happened all throoughout history. Neville Chamberlain did it in 1938. Winston Churchill, and thousand of Americans had to reverse that wrong in the 1940s.

Bill Clinton did it in the 1990s (Somalia, Africa, the Middle East, and more!). Well, guess what. Thank God we have a President who understands the bigger picture, and isn't bound up with a small mind.

My point. Those who do not know history are doomed to repeate it. History proves that appeasment only works till the tyrant decides he wants more. How much more are you willing to give.? Kuwait? Qutar? Yeman? Isreal? Greece? Italy? Germany? Great Britain? Where does it end? Somebody has to make the decision. Better sooner than later.

And before you think I speak without knowledge, let me explain. I served from late Viet Nam through Somalia. Been there, done that, and understand the situation as only a veteran can. It was having a President without honor that drove me to retirement. I could not ask my soldiers to do what I was not willing to do. Respect Klinton. So I -HONORABLY- left. Those of you who have served with honor will understand that!

And before you think I do not understand the risk this time, my son is a scout in the Cavalry. Guess what they do. We both know the risk. Better he finish my unfinished business this year, then let it fall unto my grandson in another 11 years. Enough said.

quote:
Originally posted by thestraws:

I saw the subject of bigcall's post and thought he was joking, but someone has managed to hide a cache in Iraq!http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_details.aspx?ID=35424

Now, _who wants to be first to find it!_

Perhaps my son, Army_Scout, will be one of the first. I will mail him the link. I think he has internet access from the rear lines. Hmmm... maybe I better send him the printed cache page, don't know if he can get away from the front lines or not. Scouts lead the way.

War is ugly, but sometimes necessary. Let me add one last thought. Those of you who are protesting the loudest.... you have a right to do so. But as you do so, just remember this. It was the soldier, with a rifle in his hands, and blood on his boots, that preserved that right for you. You're welcome!

El Paso, Texas.

[This message was edited by Desert_Warrior on January 15, 2003 at 06:48 AM.]

Today, 15 January, marks the 12 year anniversary of the First Gulf War. Hours from now, 12 years ago, it started with a roar as dozens of allied fighters left the runways in full burner headed north.

I remember like it was yesterday. We knew it was coming when we were given the word to open our fresh sealed chemical suits and put fresh water in the Scud shelters. Not long after, we went to night operations because the Scud attacks and the constant roar of fighters kept us up at night. So for a while we slept in the day, when we wern't watching CNN. Later, it didn't matter, we slept anyway. Got a spectacular photo of a Scud engagement one night. Saw about 30+ Patriot missiles in the air one night. Fuel tanker blew up outside our area one night. It was an accident, but we thought it was a terrorist attack on our compound. Scared $h!tless is an understatement! Glad there were not any stray animals roaming the area that night... we were gunna shoot anything that moved. Trash truck lost an empty box while passing our gate. We reported it as a possible bomb. What would you have done? I still have the empty box. In late January, I went north to the pipeline. The rest is history... west to Rafah, up MSR Texas, through As Salman Iraq, and eventually dug in with the 24th ID (Mech) on the eastern sweep. The memories make my heart sad. But I am proud of our military today.

Thanks to all who covered my flanks.

El Paso, Texas.