Florida State Parks Geocaching Feedback

I asked the Florida Department of Environmental Protection if they had a policy on Geocaching. I had a cache turn up missing in a park and thought maybe the rangers had taken it.

Here is the DEP reply for those interested. Basically it looks like as long as you don't dig, you are OK. Since buried caches are not allowed any longer on geocaching.com, this should not present a problem.

----------------

Thank you for your interest in Florida State Parks. We do not currently have

a policy that speaks directly to geocaching within state parks. We do however

have existing park rules that may effect the activity or the manner in which

it is conducted. The activity would be required to stay within the

established park rules, for example observing areas designated as closed or

sensitive and not engaging in any ground disturbing activity or digging. As a

general rule, the Florida Park Service retains the authority to prohibit or

regulate any activity that lessens the safety or recreational experience of

the visiting public or lessens the natural or cultural value of the park.

Please confer with the individual parks when in question of policy. We hope

you find rewarding experiences visiting Florida State Parks.

-------------------

Texas and Florida policies are very similar and many of them could be models for other states icon_wink.gif I would only suggest that cachers get the rangers (or land managers) involved so that they can keep an eye out for them.

I have a really good working relation with the land manager at a SP in Texas, and it makes the whole process exciting. Wants me to print up brochures on geocaching!

---------------

wavey.gif Go! And don't be afraid to get a little wet!

Texas and Florida policies are very similar and many of them could be models for other states icon_wink.gif I would only suggest that cachers get the rangers (or land managers) involved so that they can keep an eye out for them.

I have a really good working relation with the land manager at a SP in Texas, and it makes the whole process exciting. Wants me to print up brochures on geocaching!

---------------

wavey.gif Go! And don't be afraid to get a little wet!

I have been involved in Geocaching for 5 short but rewarding months. A few of you know that I am a public lands manager but now since the subject of Geocaching in Florida State Parks has arisen, I think it is time to come out of the closet. I am a Park Manager with Florida State Parks and have been with the system for 26 years. I have been working at the field level to have a policy adopted for Geocaching in our parks. I have caches hidden in one of the parks that I manage now. I do think that we need guidelines to assure that Geocaching is done properly within our parks just as Jeremy has guidelines to manage the administrative functions of Geocaching on this site. I e-mailed PCBeach and asked for the name of the person who answered his letter so that I can give them a call. I was waiting for an official response from our Division on the subject so that I could address the issue further. I have spoke to several of our Bureau Chiefs and central office personnel about Geocaching and all I have spoken to support the game.

ENJOY THE OUTDOORS

I just got back from southern Florida where I introduced my sister, a new FL resident, to geocaching finding 2 caches in state parks. In fact she actually found both caches while I was going around in circles (Beginer's luck I'm sure!) We then hide a cache in third state park.

She didn't know any of those parks even existed, a typical reaction from most new geocachers. Two of them had water park sections which she now intends to take her grandchild too; something again she didn't know was there.

I think some land managers like Brownmule are seeing a great opportunity to introduce residents and non-residents to their wonderful natural assets by being open minded about geocaching. It's nice to see Florida, Texas, Cleveland and some other areas have the vision to see the possibilities.

Tks

Alan

We'll be spending a week or so in Florida this coming September and we are hoping to find a few geocaches while down there. State parks would be great! Good work getting a dialogue started and working within the system. I really feel that this is the only way to keep geocaching available in some of the more scenic areas of the country.

GeoMedic - team leader of GeoStars