Sidetracked from Geocaching.

El Diablo

I for one have been sidetracked from caching. I used to spend the weekends either hiding or devising a cache...or seeking one.

Now I spend my weekends making Geo Hiking staffs. I have noticed that quite a few of us founding cachers seem to be displaced. I miss hunting with my amigo Hawk-eye and hiding caches that drove him mad. He now spends most of his time in China. Also my good friend Triffid that seems to have gone away from a sport he loved so much.

My question is has anyone else been sidetrack or noticed that someone you really admired has gone away?

El Diablo

Everything you do in life...will impact someone,for better or for worse.

quote:
Originally posted by El Diablo:

I for one have been sidetracked from caching. I used to spend the weekends either hiding or devising a cache...or seeking one.

El Diablo

So what caused you to become sidetracked. Just lose interest?

Mike

Gsdvr

Huntsville

I got sidetracked by a suddenly renewed interest in ham radio and by a lot of personal stuff. I don't think I found a single geocache in over a year ... that's why I'm sitting here with less than 50 finds when I started caching in December 2000! Now that I've made a bit of a job change and am finding myself with more time that is my own, I'm back at it in earnest. No more long breaks for me icon_smile.gif

--

Scott Johnson (ScottJ)

quote:
Originally posted by Judy&Dick:

quote:
Originally posted by El Diablo:

Now I spend my weekends making Geo Hiking staffs.

Hey Jerry, whose fault is that! icon_biggrin.gificon_biggrin.gificon_biggrin.gif

Haven't broken the stick yet! icon_wink.gif

People like you that keep ordering them icon_smile.gif

I am going to make a renewd effort at caching again. I know my wife The Princess of Darkness misses it.

El Diablo

I miss Jason..... already - he was fun. If there were Nielson ratings for the forums, his participation would have been worth huge advertising dollars!

Without question, the greatest invention in the history of mankind is beer. Oh, I grant you the wheel was also a fine invention, but the wheel does not go nearly as well with pizza. - Dave Barry

What a touching thing to actually be missed. Seriously, I don't think I will ever be able to (or ever want to) completely leave Geocaching. I had a call just the other day from a reporter at the local newspaper wanting to do yet another article on geocaching, and apparently someone still has the impression that I am the one to talk to...go figure. I think the last cache hunt I did was on December 8th, and I think I logged 5 that day, a pretty good number for me anymore.

By way of an update, I think you will agree that I have had a pretty rough year...I share this with all of you only because it appears there are some who are interested, and also because I think there is a lesson here for all of us to learn about MODERATION. I guess I started caching because I was interested in GPS, and because my career at the time (accouting) was boring me to death. I felt I needed some adventure in my life, and thought exploring new places with my GPS seemed like just the cure.as many of you have found, it can certainly do that. What I failed to realized was that too much of a good thing, is a BAD thing. I remember taking off after work to go hunt caches, and returning home to my wife and little daughter after they had both gone to bed, with a cold dinner on the table waiting for me. When I was not out caching, I was home surfing these very forums or loading new caches into my GPS or planning the hunt I would take on the next day. There has been a lot written about the addiction some of us have experienced to this sport, and most of it has been quite tongue in cheek, and rightly so. I am probably only speaking for myself, because I doubt any of you good people are shortsighted enough to let something like this take over your life. I guess the biggest reason I have not done a lot of caching of late is that every time I go out, I think of the times that I went when I was married, and how my caching (along with other things) ended my marriage, once and for all. The last year, as you would expect, has been very hard, with losing essentially everything of importance in my life, and trying to get everything figured out, but things are going as well as one could hope, and I am doing well again. Caching is by no means on my list of important things anymore, but it is one of my favorite hobbies. I kind of "graduated" from caching to backpacking last summer, and spent a lot of time doing trips that took me to some wonderful caches. I hope to do more this year, and look forward to seeing all of you on the trail.

Cache on!

bunkerdave

bunkerdave

6327_1600.gif

Dave, it's great to see your presence here in the forums!

I had no idea that this past year had been so difficult for you, and I am truly sorry to hear about it. Thanks for sharing what happened, and for helping us to keep in mind what is really important.

And Sidewinder, thanks for putting me on your list! icon_smile.gif

icon_geocachingwa.gif

My old bud El Diablo .... makes me feel guilty ... and I do miss desparately seeking your nasty little cache tricks!

Last year was the worst year ... and the best year of my life. Of course I spent a wonderful 9 months unemployed because I didn't trust the people I worked for enough to move my family to Bolivia (if you read the reports this past month you'll see I made the right choice). But I did have a lot of moral support from a bunch of great folks in geocaching ... that really helped! I did find a job ... actually changed after 3 months ... to an even better job for some fantastic people that are treating me very well. Unfortunately I've had very little time for anything much less geocaching ... but spring is coming and I feel the need to "navigate".

Thanks guys is nice to be missed ... as Arnold so nicely put it ... "I'll be back" icon_cool.gif

----------------------------------------------------------------

Co-founder of the "NC/VA GEO-HOG ASSOCIATION"

... when you absolutely have to find it first!