Finding an non-existant cache

Nope, never found a cache that hasn't yet been submitted for approval, as mentioned in the "find" log for that cache. The cache, however, did in fact exist, so the title of this topic is not really correct. It's the information page that was nonexistent.

What I found interesting about this cache was the icon atop the page and the cache description.

To me, this appears to be one cache in a related series of caches; it's not really a multicache at all.

[This message was edited by BassoonPilot on March 24, 2002 at 04:59 AM.]

Not yet, but I always look. Whenever I hike (whether fot geocaching or just to hike), I always happen about the "perfect" hiding spot. I always seem to have the radar on, looking for potential places for my next hide. While I havent found anything that way yet, being that NJ is so darn overpopulated, I am sure that eventually I will notice a hiding spot that someone will have already used. Until then I will continue to look.

Last weekend while hunting this cache http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_details.asp?ID=16730 I came across a different sort of cache.

The cache was hidden in park which is currently being developed, active construction going on right by where I found this.

Here is portion of my log "I kicked up four deer on the way into the woods but all the kicking in the world wasn't going to get the fifth one up...yuck! Bob's note had me forwarned for that one so I made a wide circle to avoid it. Happened upon another cache in the woods then. I wasn't anywhere near the coordinates yet but what cacher can go by an overturned 5 gallon pail in the woods and not turn it over? Found (I assume) one of the construction worker's breaktime reading material.... don't let the kids find this cache...

make your wide bearth to the right of the deer... or they may grow up too quickly!

quote:
Originally posted by BassoonPilot:

The cache, however, did in fact exist, so the title of this topic is not really correct. It's the information page that was nonexistent.

[This message was edited by BassoonPilot on March 24, 2002 at 04:59 AM.]

And so now we need to make a disction between a cache information page and the cache. Is a plundered cache really a chache at all since it's not there to be found but it's information page is? Is a cache always consisting of two parts, the infomation page and the cache, er, location, er well now we have virtual caches too... maybe I found all those and they haven't been posted yet.

Enough nit picking. I haven not run into a cache that was hidden but not yet posted. There is usually some lag time between hiding and posting, or vice versa as is the case on a cache I'm watching near by. It's posted but not hidden (cache is temporarily disabled until this happens).

quote:
Originally posted by Ttepee:

Last weekend while hunting this cache http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_details.asp?ID=16730 I came across a different sort of cache.

Here is portion of my log "I kicked up four deer on the way into the woods but all the kicking in the world wasn't going to get the fifth one up...yuck!

You know what is really bad? icon_frown.gif Having the type of imagination where smell is involved... ooh-ick!

Someone needs to come in and sweep out all of the unnecessary and gross crap in my memory, PLEASE!

RedwoodRed

quote:
Originally posted by Ttepee:

Here is portion of my log "I kicked up four deer on the way into the woods but all the kicking in the world wasn't going to get the fifth one up...yuck!

You know what is really bad? icon_frown.gif Having the type of imagination where smell is involved... ooh-ick!

Someone needs to come in and sweep out all of the unnecessary and gross crap in my memory, PLEASE!

RedwoodRed

quote:
Originally posted by Renegade Knight:

Enough nit picking. I haven not run into a cache that was hidden but not yet posted.

Also, keep in mind that caches are also listed on "competing services;" perhaps it's one of those caches, and is listed there but not here. icon_eek.gif

Regardless, there was no nitpicking involved. If a cache is nonexistent, it isn't there. And if it isn't there, it would be pretty hard to "run into it." icon_rolleyes.gif

quote:
Originally posted by Renegade Knight:

Enough nit picking. I haven not run into a cache that was hidden but not yet posted.

Also, keep in mind that caches are also listed on "competing services;" perhaps it's one of those caches, and is listed there but not here. icon_eek.gif

Regardless, there was no nitpicking involved. If a cache is nonexistent, it isn't there. And if it isn't there, it would be pretty hard to "run into it." icon_rolleyes.gif

actually it was a geocaching.com cache, the owner had not yet posted it. Still hasn't as of yet. Well It was sorta odd to find a cache in a place where there was none listed and I wasn't looking for it.

chences of that are astronomical at best.

Now where did I set my GPS???

quote:
Originally posted by SirRalanN:

Well It was sorta odd to find a cache in a place where there was none listed and I wasn't looking for it.

Probably . . . except I hear from one fellow in North Jersey that wherever he has placed a cache, another cache or two pops up within 100 yards or so . . . so I suppose if you go to find one of his caches soon after it was approved, you'd have a pretty good chance of running into an as-of-yet unlisted cache. icon_wink.gif

quote:

Well It was sorta odd to find a cache in a place where there was none listed and I wasn't looking for it.

Probably . . . except I hear from one fellow in North Jersey that wherever he has placed a cache, another cache or two pops up within 100 yards or so . . . so I suppose if you go to find one of his caches soon after it was approved, you'd have a pretty good chance of running into an as-of-yet unlisted cache. icon_wink.gif

quote:

anybody ever find a cache that the author had not posted to the site yet???

I have a couple of times. But you take a risk in doing that. The coordinates may not be right, or the cache may not even be there yet.

The ones that I found were some that I happened to stumble across, and were close enough to go after on the way home from work.

PS_sig.gif

quote:

That has not happen to me yet but I've found I entered the wrong coordinates for Latitude. Did not see that until a Geo-Hunter emailed me asking for help for one of my cache. I should be horse whipped for doing such a stupid human trick!

icon_redface.gif

Zephyrus

quote:

That has not happen to me yet but I've found I entered the wrong coordinates for Latitude. Did not see that until a Geo-Hunter emailed me asking for help for one of my cache. I should be horse whipped for doing such a stupid human trick!

icon_redface.gif

Zephyrus