Permission to place a cache

quote:
Originally posted by welch:

Does anyone bother to do a search before posting?? icon_confused.gif

Does anyone ever bother to be polite? Yes it was asked before and it will be asked again. If it bothers you to see it asked again then ignor it rather than bashing a new Geocacher. It would be more appropriate to politely Markwell them to a previous thread.

On the other hand, you have different fingers.

15777_2200.gif

Some of you just need to chill a bit! I like how some of you like to offend new cachers, even paying ones. Not all people have the time to search all the topics that have been placed, especially when most of them don't even pertain to caching.

No, not all people are that hostile here.

The Buzzard's: ZiggyStardust

I searched again and found topics, but no polls. I guess I'm blind. icon_confused.gif

I have frequented Usenet for a very long time and hence know discussion group protocol. People have very little tolerance there and will jump on you as soon as look at you. Given that, I still observe more hostility here. At least on Usenet it's usually justified.

I may be new in THESE forums, but I'm hardly "new". I've been using Geocaching.com for the better part of a year. I only recently signed up.

Because I know better, I know that most geocachers aren't the way these forums would leave one to believe they are. Lucky me. icon_rolleyes.gif

quote:
Originally posted by BrownMule:

Does anyone ever bother to be polite? Yes it was asked before and it will be asked again. If it bothers you to see it asked again then ignor it rather than bashing a new Geocacher. It would be more appropriate to politely Markwell them to a previous thread.

I was not trying to be impolite, just nudging them in another direction. If you want to take it as rude, then do.... icon_rolleyes.gif

And yes I know the same items will be repeated icon_eek.gif (especially when previous polls are A.over several months old, and B.broken/erased) but there was no explanation of what background the person asking had checked on.

I had considered putting in some links to previous threads about the same topic. But then someone would probly complain that doing so is also rude and 'stomps the thread' icon_frown.gif. Again, Had the person posting the poll included the fact that they had looked and could not find anything. I would have been glad to try myself.

waypoint_link.gif22008_1700.gif37_gp_logo88x31.jpg

welcome to the "hostile" forums. Wasn't it the forums where the Christians and lions entertained the populace? Or am I confusing locale?

Anyway, asking questions that have been asked before often givens different answers. I had the same poll a while back and as I recall there were more "no's" to this question than there appear to be this time. It seems cachers are beginning to ask permission more than they use to. That might be the result of the hard work many cacher have done geting land managers to agree to caches being placed.

Poll results change as to answers to questions, data, customs, ideas, etc. Nobody really wants only a look up service because I think people enjoy answering questions - it's the teacher and parent in us.

Alan

I'll post a reply instead of voting since it may help a little more. I've always at least tried to get permission. I've got 3 caches out there right now, one is temporarily unavailable because of permission issues. I've got one in a state park that I do have permission for, one by the pond near my house (not really private property, not really public either) that I do NOT have permission for, I would have no idea how to figure out who owns it since there are 4 different condo complexes that border the pond. And finally I put one on private property and then requested permission later. I didn't realize how private it was until some cachers ran into problems with gates taht had recently been put up, etc. I sent the guy who owns the land a letter shortly after I placed the cache, (in december) and still haven't heard back. I found out this weekend though that my father knows the guy who owns the land and said he just got back from Florida for the winter abotu a week ago...so hopefully my letter will be responded to and my father is going to talk to him about it next time they see each other.

So in short, permission is a good idea....I had to disable that cache about 3 weeks after it started because of problems (The gates and what not were not directly related to Geocaching, it was due to general tresspassing on the property, mainly by kids and hunters.)

Mr. 0

"Remember that nature and the elements are neither your friend or your enemy - they are actually disinterested."

Department of the Army Field Manual FM 21-76 "Survival" Oct. 1970