Caching with weapons

After my initial post on this topic, I have followed the replies and listened to all of the arguments in favor of carrying a gun while Geocaching. I accept, that in the U.S. “carrying” can be rightful and lawful. I can also accept that if one found himself in a situation where he needed to defend himself from violent attackers, a gun might present a useful way out.

For me however, the issue here is whether or not when I prepare to go Geocaching do I want to be prepared to kill someone? The answer is no. Contemplating killing someone, in advance, is not something I would find at all right or pleasurable, and it is certainly not something I want to go through life doing, in particular when I am participating in a recreational activity such as Geocaching. (I do have respect for those persons whose profession requires them to be always prepared to kill, but I would not expect or want them to carry on that attitude when off duty). I guess I can imagine in some pathetic societies, it would be prudent for my own safety to never leave home unless I was prepared to kill. I certainly don’t live in such a society, and even though the U.S. presents itself as a culture of violence, I don’t believe it is to the extent where it is necessary to be prepared to kill when just having a pleasurable hike in the woods.

If its not prudent or necessary to prepare to kill, then what can you say about those that do so on a regular basis, as an integral part of their personal life? About those who boast about the steps they have taken to be prepared to kill? In my opinion, such persons are anti-social with deep-rooted mental problems (I crudely referred to them as having “mushified brain cells”). I don’t believe they are motivated by personal safety, and that personal safety is just a sick excuse, to carry on their sick activity - the activity of finding pleasure and satisfaction from being prepared to kill. (if their desire to prepare to kill is motivated by concern for their personal safety then I would say they are paranoid - but I believe for most who prepare to kill on a regular basis, paranoia is not the illness).

I know that what I have to say here will offend (as did my previous post). Quite frankly I don’t care. I judge people by what they say and what they do, according to my personal values. When I see a person that gets off on unnecessarily always being prepared to kill, I see a pathetic excuse for a human being - a person who will make the world a worse place to live in.

You may not agree with what I say, but I will defend, to your death, my right to say it!(it's a Joke, OK!)

quote:
Originally posted by upinyachit:

"Enough Already..."

I find it amusing and typical, that you title your post "Enough Already" and then procede procede to give several paragraphs of uninformed anti-gun diatribe.

Seneca,

It would appear from your avatar that you are a male pilot which makes you potentaly a rapist/terrorist just because you are equiped to do either

you're not are you?

If you were it would explain your views on self protection

quote:
Originally posted by MACpa:

Seneca,

It would appear from your avatar that you are a male pilot which makes you potentaly a rapist/terrorist just because you are equiped to do either

you're not are you?

When I fly (or drive for that matter), I do not "prepare to kill". In fact I go to great lenghts to prepare for the opposite.

You may not agree with what I say, but I will defend, to your death, my right to say it!(it's a Joke, OK!)

Seneca

In 20 years of carrying a firearm I am not prepareing to kill but am better prepared for the opposite

HMMMM I notice you didn't address the rapist issue

[This message was edited by MACpa on July 22, 2002 at 09:24 AM.]

quote:

Seneca

In 20 years of carrying a firearm I am not prepareing to kill but am better prepared for the opposite

I'm sorry, but that makes no sense to me at all, unless the firearm you are carrying is unloaded, and you do not pack ammo. Your statement is not consistent with the views and statements made my a number of other persons on this thread who carry firearms for "personal protection".

Hello all

I don't carry while cacheing around town, but out in the woods I do. There are creatures out there that bite. I carry a 40 s&w, or, if I'm worried about bear, a 50 AE, but thats a monster...and still I think would just piss off a grizzly.

The people from the old Empire don't understand now, any better than before, it's personal responsibility that keeps you safe...not calling on your Southern neighbor, or the the neighbor across the pond. I think their sad attitude is reflected in all of Europe, and it's inability to do anything, icon_cool.gif along the lines of defense, without aid from the US.

All said in good humor, and without malice...wouldn't want to be beaten by someone with a stick!

"Quit giving the slave drivers pointers..." icon_biggrin.gif

Hello all

I don't carry while cacheing around town, but out in the woods I do. There are creatures out there that bite. I carry a 40 s&w, or, if I'm worried about bear, a 50 AE, but thats a monster...and still I think would just piss off a grizzly.

The people from the old Empire don't understand now, any better than before, it's personal responsibility that keeps you safe...not calling on your Southern neighbor, or the the neighbor across the pond. I think their sad attitude is reflected in all of Europe, and it's inability to do anything, icon_cool.gif along the lines of defense, without aid from the US.

All said in good humor, and without malice...wouldn't want to be beaten by someone with a stick!

"Quit giving the slave drivers pointers..." icon_biggrin.gif

quote:
Originally posted by edgydrifter:

Hello all

I don't carry while cacheing around town, but out in the woods I do. There are creatures out there that bite. I carry a 40 s&w, or, if I'm worried about bear, a 50 AE, but thats a monster...

I will concede that I have a different view of people who carry firearms for reasonably required protection from wildlife - not too many instances in my opinion. The people I am talking about are those who feel an irrational need to prepare to kill another person in self-defence "just in case".

quote:
Originally posted by MACpa:HMMMM I notice you didn't address the rapist issue

No, I am not a rapist, and I don't prepare to be one "just in case" - the comment was silly, and not relevant to this topic.

quote:
Originally posted by NJ_Tonto:

I met Mitsuko while geocaching this weekend (on my first day of geocaching.) She was very nice, we had a good talk and visit together.

NJ_Tonto

(Yes, Kimosabe...)

so any word on where she went??

quote:
Originally posted by vash the stampede:

quote:

I met Mitsuko while geocaching this weekend (on my first day of geocaching.) She was very nice, we had a good talk and visit together.

NJ_Tonto

(Yes, Kimosabe...)

so any word on where she went??

She was some upset about some geocache persons (or so I gathered.) I think she was also a little afraid about it. We mostly talked about being away from past friends and how it is strange having two cultures to deal with.

I think she is not going geocaching now, but I am not sure.

I will have to post later as I am working now.

NJ_Tonto

(Yes, Kimosabe...)

quote:

Seneca,

you're not are you?

for those who doubted... here is one who does want a gun... one i would call the wild eyed gun owner. i have been repeatedly accussed of "anti gun rhetoric" even though i have made many pro gun statements, this person however has come to the conclusion that because seneca is a male pilot who doesnt believe in guns he is either a terrorist or a rapist. note how seneca has said no to guns, MAC replaces guns with self protection as though they are one and the same. self protection is an action, of defence. guns are a tool that can be used defensively or offensively they are not in and of themselves defence.

quote:
Seneca

HMMMM I notice you didn't address the rapist issue

persisting in the rapist accusation... which is nothing to joke around about by the way. and what is this statement... do the opposite, well the opposite of kill would be revive, or create. so you are going to bring people to life with your gun?? i'd like one of those. tasers stunguns and mace are made to be nonleathal forms of protection, guns are not. dont kid yourself when you strap on a leathal weapon, no matter what it is, be it a gun, a sword as i have suggested, or even a knife (with the intent that it is a weapon) you are preparing to kill. (be that a justified killing or not) even if it is just prepared to kill "just in case". those little metal things in you gun werent designed to merely stun a person.

quote:

She was some upset about some geocache persons (or so I gathered.) I think she was also a little afraid about it. We mostly talked about being away from past friends and how it is strange having two cultures to deal with.

I think she is not going geocaching now, but I am not sure.

I will have to post later as I am working now.

NJ_Tonto

(Yes, Kimosabe...)

with some of the posts in this thread im not surprised... i only had read a few of her posts in other threads i'd been reading but she seemed pretty cool. i addressed some posts in here to her a1 to say hi, and b2 to try to get off the stupid gun topic for a bit, but she never responded, hope i didnt offend her. well if you do ever see her again tell her we're not ALL crazy and scary.. anyways, hope she can get back into it and enjoy it.

quote:

Surely this is a thread to discuss what weapons, if any, you carry while caching (and why), rather than one to expose your rampant ignorance of history and current events? icon_biggrin.gif

Can we please, PLEASE close this thread? Surely we've said everything RELEVANT on the subject several times over? Everyone open to convincing on one side or another has almost definitely made up their minds - if there was anyone like that on this subject in the first place.

evilrooster

-the email of the species is deadlier than the mail-

[This message was edited by evilrooster on July 22, 2002 at 11:23 AM.]

quote:

Surely this is a thread to discuss what weapons, if any, you carry while caching (and why), rather than one to expose your rampant ignorance of history and current events? icon_biggrin.gif

Can we please, PLEASE close this thread? Surely we've said everything RELEVANT on the subject several times over? Everyone open to convincing on one side or another has almost definitely made up their minds - if there was anyone like that on this subject in the first place.

evilrooster

-the email of the species is deadlier than the mail-

[This message was edited by evilrooster on July 22, 2002 at 11:23 AM.]

I'm not surprised that so many people carry, or at least profess to carry, firearms. I am surprised to hear so many people profess to carry concealed.

Wear it on your hip. You can get to it quicker, are less likely to shoot yourself in the crotch, and folks like me can see you coming and give you a wide berth... icon_wink.gif

Seriously, I don't have anything against firearms, but I do think that, for most people, carrying concealed, particularly illegally, does little for personal safety.

-jjf

I'm not surprised that so many people carry, or at least profess to carry, firearms. I am surprised to hear so many people profess to carry concealed.

Wear it on your hip. You can get to it quicker, are less likely to shoot yourself in the crotch, and folks like me can see you coming and give you a wide berth... icon_wink.gif

Seriously, I don't have anything against firearms, but I do think that, for most people, carrying concealed, particularly illegally, does little for personal safety.

-jjf

I think some of this discussion is why Mitsuko has stopped being a geocacher. Some of this talk is scary to people who don't like guns. I know, it is only opinions and all of us are OK in US to have guns, but it is way too much talk about it, I think.

I hope they will stop this topic so it does not scare others too.

I hope to see Mitsuko again and hope she is still going to geocache some. Maybe we will just find the caches and not log in the book so no one will know she was there. I like to do that, but I still post them here so I can thank the hider for it, but I do not write so good.

NJ_Tonto

(Yes, Kimosabe...)

quote:

I think some of this discussion is why Mitsuko has stopped being a geocacher. Some of this talk is scary to people who don't like guns. I know, it is only opinions and all of us are OK in US to have guns, but it is way too much talk about it, I think.

I hope they will stop this topic so it does not scare others too.

I hope to see Mitsuko again and hope she is still going to geocache some. Maybe we will just find the caches and not log in the book so no one will know she was there. I like to do that, but I still post them here so I can thank the hider for it, but I do not write so good.

NJ_Tonto

(Yes, Kimosabe...)

well if you do see her, give her my apologies for any potential offence... i would have liked to chat/e-mail/get to know her, she seemed cool, and since i dont take guns caching.. im a safe one. and of course i would gladly protect her "a pretty young lady like yourself shouldnt be traveling alone without a big strong man to protect her.." (obscure trigun reference--- its an anime)

quote:
Originally posted by Lone-R:

Has anyone ever used (more specifically fired) their gun while geocaching in order to protect themselves (or others) from someone or something?

[This message was edited by Lone-R on July 22, 2002 at 01:06 PM.]

something, i am sure yes, bears and wild dogs/cats, big ones not the ones you would have as pets, have been repeatedly mentioned.

someone, though i can not be conclusively no, i doubt it. (now i know someone is going to come on all pissed off because they have) even though i said, im not conclusive, i just doubt it.

as for a comprimise if you really do need that gun while geocaching in the public park because those roving bands of first graders could strike at anytime (thats sarcasm folks, we all know it's seneca the anti-gun nazi/rapist/terrorist your really scared of [sorry sen couldnt help it, those characterizations of anyone who doesnt believe in guns are just too funny]) use rubber bullets. you know, the kind police use on rioters when they are not trying to kill people. dont worry with proper aim you could probably still maim someone...

But, I hope she pitched her television out the window, and pawns her radio before she gives up geocaching. This thread has been about personal protection and not about taking the offensive. This dialogue isn't going to frighten someone who wants to take a walk in the woods. The dozens of unsuspecting people who get snatched from the security of their own neighborhoods is what should frighten them. Sorry bud. Don't blame me.

boo2.jpg

Ahhhh......the moist nose of a German Wirehaired Pointer!

quote:
hats right you have never heard from me before and here I am with some unrelated topic. But just look around, her posts and Bio..."gone".Mitsuko Please respond!

icon_confused.gif

maybe you scared her off... hehehe...

Or she could have changed her login name - then all the posts that she created would be under the new name but the references to her in the forum would be under the old one. I noticed that when I went from laraley to RedShoes Girl, all my old posts had the new nickname.

[ ]

quote:
hats right you have never heard from me before and here I am with some unrelated topic. But just look around, her posts and Bio..."gone".Mitsuko Please respond!

icon_confused.gif

maybe you scared her off... hehehe...

Or she could have changed her login name - then all the posts that she created would be under the new name but the references to her in the forum would be under the old one. I noticed that when I went from laraley to RedShoes Girl, all my old posts had the new nickname.

[ ]

If you look around the forums you'll see she's gotten quite popular. I'm guessing (though I don't know her) that it all became a little much for her. I'm sure it was nice at first having a bunch of guys tell her she was hot, but as it went on and her fame grew it could become to much. Online obsessions could be scary.

That being sad it doesn't say to much for us, in a sport that (I'm guessing) doesn't have to many young single attractive women this forum managed to scare her away. Not good guys, not good.

"...Not all those who wander are lost..."

[This message was edited by mikechim on July 22, 2002 at 04:10 PM.]

[This message was edited by mikechim on July 22, 2002 at 05:29 PM.]

Well,

I think this is the MOST UNFUNNY, unentertaining thread I have ever read!

I can't even think of a good funny to post to it! (Isn't that hard to imagine, majicman, at a loss for funnies!)

And if what was said by Tonto is true, shame shame shame on all of YOU! icon_frown.gif

I ain't contributin' to this stinkin' thread no funny and maybe it will die or git kilt!

-BYE-

--majicman

(Always trade UP in both quantity and quality and Geocaches will be both self-sustaining and self-improving!)

Well,

I think this is the MOST UNFUNNY, unentertaining thread I have ever read!

I can't even think of a good funny to post to it! (Isn't that hard to imagine, majicman, at a loss for funnies!)

And if what was said by Tonto is true, shame shame shame on all of YOU! icon_frown.gif

I ain't contributin' to this stinkin' thread no funny and maybe it will die or git kilt!

-BYE-

--majicman

(Always trade UP in both quantity and quality and Geocaches will be both self-sustaining and self-improving!)

err...did I say anything about grizzlies in Spokane? If I did, I was LYING!!! There are no grizzlies in Spokane, there are black bear, some moose, cougers, bobcats...but... 0 nada zippo zilch none no Grizzlies. Sorry for lying to you...sheesh...like read my name pal.DRIFTER!!!!!!!

quote:
Originally posted by leatherman:

quote:

I carry a 40 s&w, or, if I'm worried about bear, a 50 AE, but thats a monster...and still I think would just piss off a grizzly.

http://www.plauder-smilies.com/lach.gif

_Preperation, the first law to survival._

http://img.Groundspeak.com/user/39197_400.jpg

"Quit giving the slave drivers pointers..."

Majicman's quote:

I dont know how to do the quote thingy but i do think Majicman made a teensie weensie funny!!!

Seriously, it is hard to believe that this is such an issue. I think that those of us that carry guns while Caching are probably responsible and keep them holstered until possibly needed. I really dont think there are too many that are trigger happy and shoot the first bush that moves. Others may want to carry a knife, skipole, big stick, pepper spray, etc etc,,,. Some may not want to carry anything because they dont feel the need.

Sounds easy to me, Do whatever makes you comfortable, as long as you do it legally!

Happy GeoCaching!!!!!!!!!!

Statistics: Guns v. Physicians

Posted February, 2002

Number of physicians in the US:

Accidental deaths caused by physicians per year:

Accidental deaths per physician:

0.171 (U.S. Dept. of Health & Human Services)

Number of gun owners in the US:

Number of accidental gun deaths per year (all age groups):

Accidental deaths per gun owner:

Statistically, doctors are approximately 9,000 times

more dangerous than gun owners.

"FACT: Not everyone has a gun, but everyone has at least one Doctor."

Please alert your friends to this alarming threat. We must ban doctors before this gets out of hand. As a Public Health Measure, I have withheld the statistics on Lawyers for fear that the shock could cause people to seek medical aid.

Dan Frisa

Friday, Feb. 2, 2001

A horrible attack occurred today at an elementary school in York, Pennsylvania, when an intruder entered and brutally attacked several employees and students with a baseball bat and a knife.

This event, like so many that have taken place involving criminal use of firearms, is shocking by its very nature.

Will we hear the radical left screaming on the evening news, calling for banning bats and knives?

How about safety locks for bats? Knives?

For everyone thats calling for this thread to be closed, is someone holding a gun to your head, forcing you to click this tread open and read it? Good grief Charlie Brown. I happen to find the discussion lively and interesting. Although I haven't heard a really convincing arguement from the left explaining why they are so paranoid of people who choose to carry while caching. I do. And I haven't met a cacher out there yet that despised me for packing. Granted, they probably didn't even realize it. And there really isn't any reason that they should know. Not until its necessary that is. You know, like when I hear upinyachit screaming for help because some perv wasn't disuaded by her hiking stick, and she hasn't had time to call 911, not to mention that they'll never be there in time to help anyway. And no Seneca, I'm not going out looking to kill. Prepared to Kill? Yes, more prepared to kill than to die, thats for sure.

But the main reason I carry I suppose is to deter the 4 legged threat. Since Washinton has made it illegal to trap bears and cougars, or to hunt them with bait or dogs, the population has jumped, and with the jump, of course, an increase in attacks on people, mainly kids. When I head to this cache http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_details.asp?ID=27553 in the heart of cougar country, I'll definately be packing! Little Timmy the boyscout was killed near here by a cougar. A monument is now placed there in memory of him. I reckon he forgot his pepper spray or walking stick at home. Or perhaps his mother just didn't feel the need to educate Timmy in preparedness and the proper use of a firearm. Dont count on your pepper spray or snake beating stick to help ya out when one of these cats are eyeing you for an afternoon snack. icon_cool.gif

"it is hard for thee to kick against the pricks" Acts 26:14

Posted February, 2002

Please alert your friends to this alarming threat. We must ban doctors before this gets out of hand. As a Public Health Measure, I have withheld the statistics on Lawyers for fear that the shock could cause people to seek medical aid.

Dan Frisa

Friday, Feb. 2, 2001

A horrible attack occurred today at an elementary school in York, Pennsylvania, when an intruder entered and brutally attacked several employees and students with a baseball bat and a knife.

This event, like so many that have taken place involving criminal use of firearms, is shocking by its very nature.

Will we hear the radical left screaming on the evening news, calling for banning bats and knives?

For everyone thats calling for this thread to be closed, is someone holding a gun to your head, forcing you to click this tread open and read it? Good grief Charlie Brown. I happen to find the discussion lively and interesting. Although I haven't heard a really convincing arguement from the left explaining why they are so paranoid of people who choose to carry while caching. I do. And I haven't met a cacher out there yet that despised me for packing. Granted, they probably didn't even realize it. And there really isn't any reason that they should know. Not until its necessary that is. You know, like when I hear upinyachit screaming for help because some perv wasn't disuaded by her hiking stick, and she hasn't had time to call 911, not to mention that they'll never be there in time to help anyway. And no Seneca, I'm not going out looking to kill. Prepared to Kill? Yes, more prepared to kill than to die, thats for sure.

But the main reason I carry I suppose is to deter the 4 legged threat. Since Washinton has made it illegal to trap bears and cougars, or to hunt them with bait or dogs, the population has jumped, and with the jump, of course, an increase in attacks on people, mainly kids. When I head to this cache http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_details.asp?ID=27553 in the heart of cougar country, I'll definately be packing! Little Timmy the boyscout was killed near here by a cougar. A monument is now placed there in memory of him. I reckon he forgot his pepper spray or walking stick at home. Or perhaps his mother just didn't feel the need to educate Timmy in preparedness and the proper use of a firearm. Dont count on your pepper spray or snake beating stick to help ya out when one of these cats are eyeing you for an afternoon snack. icon_cool.gif

quote:
Originally posted by Duke_:

... I haven't heard a really convincing arguement from the left explaining why they are so paranoid of people who choose to carry while caching. I do. And I haven't met a cacher out there yet that despised me for packing.

I am not so much paranoid, as I am sickeningly disgusted. And I am certainly not "from the left" - in fact, politically I am generally described as being very right-wing - contrary to your mistaken belief, the left are not the only ones disgusted by your irrational need to prepare to kill.

quote:

And no Seneca, I'm not going out looking to kill. Prepared to Kill? Yes, more prepared to kill than to die, thats for sure.

Of course you are not looking to kill - no gunowner ever would say that. Its the gung ho preparing to kill "just in case" attitude, that bothers me.

I don't expect you to ever hear an argument that convinces you to behave differently - that's what really scares me.

I know that many with my belief want this thread closed, but I believe that it is sometimes necessary to speak your mind about issues as deadly serious as this one. (however I will try to shut-up for awhile).

quote:

Posted February, 2002

Before I continue let me say I'm neither liberal or conservative, and I tend to have conflicting views on gun ownership. So don't take this as an antigun attack.

But even if your statistics are true they are still bunk.

You figured out the gun owners accidental death rate correctly. HOWEVER since everyone goes to the doctor (as you state) then you have to take the number of accidental deaths divided by the population of the US NOT THE # of physicians. Then accidental death rate by physician is much lower then by gun.

Your saying off the people who own guns here is the accidental death rate. You then have to say of the poeple who go to doctors here is the accidental death rate.

now go perform some t-tests or something.

"...Not all those who wander are lost..."

quote:

anti safety?? and while i have heard of accidental death by knife, people being stupid enough to run with them and tripping onto them and whatnot, never heard of anyone gettting accidentally beaten to death with a baseball bat, but i can just see it.

"no officer, i was just swingin it around in the air in the general vicinity of his head and he kept getting in the way, like fifty times"

talk about people who pour out the rhetoric... geez...

I hate to be a stickler but the numbers are right.

Number of doctors = number of gun owners

Number of deaths by doctors = number of deaths by gunowners

The population has nothing to do with the numbers because everyone has at least one doctor and everyone has the threat of being killed by a gun. It's the number of deaths per doctor compared to the number of deaths per gunowner. Population never enters into the equation.

I have seen this before, and it was supposed to poke fun at the whole issue, but the fact of the matter is that the number of deaths by legal gunowners is extremly low. And those that are killed while cleaning a gun had no business owning one without the proper training. I have had training, and the first thing you do when you handle a gun is to check to make sure it is empty! No exceptions, every time!

I also take exception to the idea that some think I am either paranoid or harbor a secret desire to kill someone. By this logic everyone that is in the martial arts fits in one of these catagories. I trained in the martial arts as well, and yes I learned techniques that could be used to kill. I walk around with this weapon all the time, so I must be a real sick puppy. icon_smile.gif There is a vast difference between paranoia and preparedness. I don't pack a gun to go down to the grocery store or the post office. When I am in the woods by myself and the nearest help is miles away a gun may be the difference between life and death for many reasons. But you must have the maturity to know when to use one and when to keep it in it's holster.

A sharp knife cuts the quickest and hurts the least (Kathering Hepburn) And oft should be left in the scabard (John Wayne) True Grit

I hate to be a stickler but the numbers are right.

Number of doctors = number of gun owners

Number of deaths by doctors = number of deaths by gunowners

The population has nothing to do with the numbers because everyone has at least one doctor and everyone has the threat of being killed by a gun. It's the number of deaths per doctor compared to the number of deaths per gunowner. Population never enters into the equation.

I have seen this before, and it was supposed to poke fun at the whole issue, but the fact of the matter is that the number of deaths by legal gunowners is extremly low. And those that are killed while cleaning a gun had no business owning one without the proper training. I have had training, and the first thing you do when you handle a gun is to check to make sure it is empty! No exceptions, every time!

I also take exception to the idea that some think I am either paranoid or harbor a secret desire to kill someone. By this logic everyone that is in the martial arts fits in one of these catagories. I trained in the martial arts as well, and yes I learned techniques that could be used to kill. I walk around with this weapon all the time, so I must be a real sick puppy. icon_smile.gif There is a vast difference between paranoia and preparedness. I don't pack a gun to go down to the grocery store or the post office. When I am in the woods by myself and the nearest help is miles away a gun may be the difference between life and death for many reasons. But you must have the maturity to know when to use one and when to keep it in it's holster.

A sharp knife cuts the quickest and hurts the least (Kathering Hepburn) And oft should be left in the scabard (John Wayne) True Grit

Before I continue let me say I'm neither liberal or conservative, and I tend to have conflicting views on gun ownership. So don't take this as an antigun attack.

~shaking my head in disbelief~ icon_rolleyes.gif

Of course the statistics are bunk Mike. Sheash. It was said in jest, to illistrate a point. As flawed as the logic is in the afore quoted statistics, it's not nearly as fanciful as some of the anti gun advocate's statistics.

Look, as far as the original topic is concerned, if one is actually concerned about their safety while caching, then a sidearm can easily be carried, and in a comfortable manner. If you haven't been properly trained in the use of firearms, then find something less lethal. There are several alternatives, like stun guns, tasers, and the like. If you're worried about the meth addicts, I wouldn't rely on either of those though. A glance at the Rodney King video will illustrate just how effective a taser is on someone high on crack or meth. If you're not licensed to carry concealed, then don't do that either, otherwise you're risking loosing the right to carry at all. For those of you concerned about those of us that are mandated to carry a weapon, or those that simply choose to do so, you need not worry. We have undergone intense background checks by the FBI and local law enforcement. Most of us are quite proficient in the use of the weapon in which we carry. And despite how you may feel about me because I am armed, I will still use it to assist you if you need me to. Probably be found negligant if I didn't.

59782_500.jpg

[This message was edited by Duke_ on July 22, 2002 at 10:10 PM.]

~shaking my head in disbelief~ icon_rolleyes.gif

Of course the statistics are bunk Mike. Sheash. It was said in jest, to illistrate a point. As flawed as the logic is in the afore quoted statistics, it's not nearly as fanciful as some of the anti gun advocate's statistics.

Look, as far as the original topic is concerned, if one is actually concerned about their safety while caching, then a sidearm can easily be carried, and in a comfortable manner. If you haven't been properly trained in the use of firearms, then find something less lethal. There are several alternatives, like stun guns, tasers, and the like. If you're worried about the meth addicts, I wouldn't rely on either of those though. A glance at the Rodney King video will illustrate just how effective a taser is on someone high on crack or meth. If you're not licensed to carry concealed, then don't do that either, otherwise you're risking loosing the right to carry at all. For those of you concerned about those of us that are mandated to carry a weapon, or those that simply choose to do so, you need not worry. We have undergone intense background checks by the FBI and local law enforcement. Most of us are quite proficient in the use of the weapon in which we carry. And despite how you may feel about me because I am armed, I will still use it to assist you if you need me to. Probably be found negligant if I didn't.

59782_500.jpg

[This message was edited by Duke_ on July 22, 2002 at 10:10 PM.]