Caching with weapons

For Sale: Taliban rifle. Never fired. Dropped once.

-------------------------------------------

A blonde suspects her boyfriend of cheating on her.

She goes out and buys a gun. She goes to his apartment unexpectedly and sure enough, she opens the door and finds him in the arms of a redhead.

Well, now she's angry!

She opens her purse to take out the gun but as she does so, she is overcome with grief. She takes the gun and points to her head.

The boyfriend yells, "No, honey, don't do it!!"

"Shut up," she says, "You're next."

I support the Georgia Geocachers Association, or the GGA!

Guns are a big part of our life here. I was raised around them, know how to use them and we have plenty stashed around the house, however i have yet to carry one on any of our outings. Sooner or later we'll hit a cache that requires a long hike into the back country so i may carry my cheapy 22 auto pistol loaded with hollow points. For now i carry a knife and usually a good spider web knock down stick.

I do think about running across crazies or bad dogs so my angle on this is to simply be observant. We keep our eyes and ears open everywhere we go, not just GeoCaching. Just thinking this could help to keep from encountering problems like this in the first place.

Who is carrying and who is not... If anyone meets me on the trail, We'll shake hands talk 'bout geocaching and have a good time hunting the cache. I will be carrying a handgun. And you may be too. Chances are you know someone that carries <-- [is that spelled right?) and don't know it.

Tango Down!

I used to be a firefighter EMT here locally. I have been to many gang fights drive bys and such, when other gang members shoot each other we called it an occupational hazard........But when a group of punks beat up an elderly lady and leave her for dead in her bath room just because she was an easy target that makes me mad......she called 911 by the time they were their it was over and I had an 85 year old woman in the form of gowned beef she was lucky to live. How different would it have been if when the first punk walked into her bedroom and was met by her personal 911? I doubt that any one can argue that point... most street thugs won't even try if they see a gun they turn tail and disappear. The police are in the business of "law enforcement" not prevention they can only do their job after the crime has been committed. As a firefighter I work close with cops and they seem to agree with me for the most part you have to do your part to protect your self they carry guns for their protection from criminals not to protect YOU from crime and it's unrealistic to think that we can all have a police officer standing behind/next to us 24-7 and for those of us who carry guns....I'm not sure what the rest of y'all think that we are all redneck or malitia members or something, I will probably never touch my gun on a trail but I know that it's their if I ever need it just like your cell phone waiting for 911.

I think like I said yesterday you people will always be out their, afraid of guns and others who use them legally. Oh well enough said icon_rolleyes.gif

I used to be a firefighter EMT here locally. I have been to many gang fights drive bys and such, when other gang members shoot each other we called it an occupational hazard........But when a group of punks beat up an elderly lady and leave her for dead in her bath room just because she was an easy target that makes me mad......she called 911 by the time they were their it was over and I had an 85 year old woman in the form of gowned beef she was lucky to live. How different would it have been if when the first punk walked into her bedroom and was met by her personal 911? I doubt that any one can argue that point... most street thugs won't even try if they see a gun they turn tail and disappear. The police are in the business of "law enforcement" not prevention they can only do their job after the crime has been committed. As a firefighter I work close with cops and they seem to agree with me for the most part you have to do your part to protect your self they carry guns for their protection from criminals not to protect YOU from crime and it's unrealistic to think that we can all have a police officer standing behind/next to us 24-7 and for those of us who carry guns....I'm not sure what the rest of y'all think that we are all redneck or malitia members or something, I will probably never touch my gun on a trail but I know that it's their if I ever need it just like your cell phone waiting for 911.

I think like I said yesterday you people will always be out their, afraid of guns and others who use them legally. Oh well enough said icon_rolleyes.gif

Originally posted by fireresq331:

How different would it have been if when the first punk walked into her bedroom and was met by her personal 911? I doubt that any one can argue that point...

QUOTE]

i will, at least as it applies to this forum. as i said before, in your home the enemie is easy to identify immediately, anyone in your house that isnt you, family or friend (ie any stranger entering w/out an invitation) on the trail however things are different. that scenario is fine for the old woman in her bedroom but on the trail it goes something like this.

How different would it have been if when the first punk walked into her bedroom and was met by her personal 911? I doubt that any one can argue that point...

which is a shoot on sight scenario, becomes,

How different would it have been if when the first punk walked onto the trail and was met by her personal 911?

is it worth the risk that that "punk" on the trail is a guy taking his wife and kids for a hike, or on a geocaching expedition?? again, on the trail you cant identify an attacker on sight, you wont know until they attack, and by then its too late, if you are lookig for something to show as a deterrent use a fake gun that looks real. they're legal, and they well deterr anyone who would be deterred by the sight of a gun, without being able to be used against you by the surprise attackers who wouldnt. get a gun, protect your home, leave it when you go caching. (except for when hunting, unless you prefer to use spears and nets) better yet carry a blade. not a knife, a sword. the average person will either ignore it or think it a novelty(which can be a good ice breaker) and any potential attackers... well, i have heard some stories from the renacance people here in KC, most folks wont attack someone carrying a sword, you never know what they may do with it... icon_biggrin.gif

Originally posted by fireresq331:

QUOTE]

i will, at least as it applies to this forum. as i said before, in your home the enemie is easy to identify immediately, anyone in your house that isnt you, family or friend (ie any stranger entering w/out an invitation) on the trail however things are different. that scenario is fine for the old woman in her bedroom but on the trail it goes something like this.

which is a shoot on sight scenario, becomes,

How different would it have been if when the first punk walked onto the trail and was met by her personal 911?

is it worth the risk that that "punk" on the trail is a guy taking his wife and kids for a hike, or on a geocaching expedition?? again, on the trail you cant identify an attacker on sight, you wont know until they attack, and by then its too late, if you are lookig for something to show as a deterrent use a fake gun that looks real. they're legal, and they well deterr anyone who would be deterred by the sight of a gun, without being able to be used against you by the surprise attackers who wouldnt. get a gun, protect your home, leave it when you go caching. (except for when hunting, unless you prefer to use spears and nets) better yet carry a blade. not a knife, a sword. the average person will either ignore it or think it a novelty(which can be a good ice breaker) and any potential attackers... well, i have heard some stories from the renacance people here in KC, most folks wont attack someone carrying a sword, you never know what they may do with it... icon_biggrin.gif

This thread seems to have gotten off the original question. I carry a handgun with me whenever I go into the woods. I use a shoulder holster, they are very comfortable if you get a good one, and I think it is better than having that weight on your hip. I am not a quick draw artist either, but I am sure that I could draw my weapon in an emergency just as fast as someone with a can of pepperspray, maybe two seconds. It is true that a stick is already in your hand (I use walking sticks as well) but there is no argument that a gun is a much better weapon at anything over five or six feet of distance.

Just yesterday I was in the wilderness area of northern Idaho. Every single trail is posted with warnings of Grizzly Bears. If you are ever in a situation of being charged by one of these massive animals that can run over 30 miles an hour, I pity those of you that are only carring sticks and pepper spray. By the time it is in range of your weapon you are as good as dead. It is possible to stop a charge at a distance with a gun, I have seen it done with no harm to the animal or the human.

I also carry a smaller handgun when in areas that don't have Grizzly Bears, partly for cougar, more so for humans. Like it or not, there are bad people out there. In my home town of about 30,000 pop. they are still looking for the murderer of a man killed on a nature trail a couple of years ago not two miles out of town. I carry my pistol in plain sight, and it is obvious to anyone that is a threat that I am a very dangerous target. To the people that are not a threat, I don't care what you think. I know of at least four incidents in the last few years in California, Washington, and Idaho where cougars have attacked and sometimes killed both children and adults. Be aware, be carefull, and be prepared.

Vash, Candie and all those who've clearly come down on the side of "Guns are a bad idea", have done a great job of exposing their prejudicial attitude. It would seem that those of us who cary areeither law enforcement, or we are wild eyed, paranoid lunatics willing to draw down and fire upon the first "snap" we hear while outside of our comfort zone. This comfort zone I would assume to be at home cleaning and playing with our dangerous toys. How insulting.

boo2.jpg

Ahhhh......the moist nose of a German Wirehaired Pointer!

your a pretty high on yourself buddy, most of us dont want to shoot anyone. but sometimes, it happens. as for your supposed marshal art skills, your not impressive. further, those who think that gun toting geocachers give the sport a bad name, so do self righteous ones.

quote:

if you wanna shoot someone join the army, otherwise use some common sense folks. btw props to the guy whos whole fam is qualified, including the daughter who is "too young by law" from all i've read he's one of the FEW i would actually trust with a fire arm, most of the rest i would knock the heck out and take your weapons... i gotta look out for me...

SR and dboggny. Oh man, my mother in law is here9372_700.gif

Vash, Candie and all those who've clearly come down on the side of "Guns are a bad idea", have done a great job of exposing their prejudicial attitude. It would seem that those of us who carry are either law enforcement, or we are wild eyed, paranoid lunatics willing to draw down and fire upon the first "snap" we hear while outside of our comfort zone. This comfort zone I would assume to be at home cleaning and playing with our dangerous toys. How insulting. You don't know me. I didn't insult you.

Cops are the greatest. But the average response time to a 911 call is about 100 times longer than the amount of time required to kill someone. All of these horror stories about children accessing guns in the home or accidental deaths fall into 2 easily defined catagories. 1) Criminally allowing children access to a weapon. If the grandkids are in a home with a gun, and a kid finds one in an unlocked dresser drawer, guess what? Grandpa should go to jail! The laws are on the books folks. Enforce them, execute them (the laws, not the perps) and letthe consequences speak for themselves. Got guns? Secure them. Drive a car? Wear a belt and don't drive drunk. Guess how many new laws M.A.D.D. got passed. NONE! They got the government to enforce laws that were already on the books.

2) people accidentally killing themselves while cleaning a weapon, handling it or what have you. It is NOT societies job to make life free from risk. Otherwise, it would and should be against the law to do your own work on your own automobile, because more people kill themselves doing that than cleaning a weapon (especially one that is unloaded).

To answer the threads initial question/flame-bait, I carry a RugerSP101 357 spurless at the bottom of the back. It is small, loud and flashes tremendously. If I encounter wildlife that requires a warning shot, he'll get one heck of a warning shot. If I need to stop a would-be attacker, they are stopped.

BTW, I was shot twice before the age of 25. I grew up on the south side of Chicago (95th and Green. Not pretty). In neither circumstance was I carrying a weapon (it is not legal, I don't break felony gun laws), and in only one would it have helped my cause. I'm no vigilanty, just vigilant. I love my wife and son more than words can say. That's why I've gun thousands invested in gun safes, trigger locks, training and home security alarms. you are not talking to a yahoo with a gun obsession. Save your rolleyes for situations and people that merit them.

Another BTW, trust facts like those submitted by our friend in El Paso. Not hype, emotion and "feeling". Lawful gun owners are not the problem. Failure to carry out existing guns laws is the problem.

boo2.jpg

i like guns, in fact i really really like them, i just dont thing a gun should be on the list of things you get specificaly for geocaching, which is what this thread is about. how many times must i say it, if you are hunting or in bear and beast country guns are a great idea. but other than that there are better weapons if you need one for GEOCACHING. defending your home, use a gun, taking a stroll through gangland at midnight, you'd be crazy not to have one, walking on a hiking/biking trail in a public park in the middle of the day, you could be asking for trouble. again, those people who are responsible about it are fine, but those who are spooked by people being there at the same time shouldnt be carrying ANYTHING dangerous. just read those forums. i am progun, i would like to have a few of myself, cant afford them though icon_frown.gif and when i referred to them as toys, i meant it. they should be something we can enjoy safely not something we have to clutch on to to keep from wetting our pants of fear every moment of the day

i like guns, in fact i really really like them, i just dont thing a gun should be on the list of things you get specificaly for geocaching, which is what this thread is about. how many times must i say it, if you are hunting or in bear and beast country guns are a great idea. but other than that there are better weapons if you need one for GEOCACHING. defending your home, use a gun, taking a stroll through gangland at midnight, you'd be crazy not to have one, walking on a hiking/biking trail in a public park in the middle of the day, you could be asking for trouble. again, those people who are responsible about it are fine, but those who are spooked by people being there at the same time shouldnt be carrying ANYTHING dangerous. just read those forums. i am progun, i would like to have a few of myself, cant afford them though icon_frown.gif and when i referred to them as toys, i meant it. they should be something we can enjoy safely not something we have to clutch on to to keep from wetting our pants of fear every moment of the day

quote:
Originally posted by dboggny:

your a pretty high on yourself buddy, most of us dont want to shoot anyone. but sometimes, it happens. as for your supposed marshal art skills, your not impressive. further, those who think that gun toting geocachers give the sport a bad name, so do self righteous ones.

quote:

if you wanna shoot someone join the army, otherwise use some common sense folks. btw props to the guy whos whole fam is qualified, including the daughter who is "too young by law" from all i've read he's one of the FEW i would actually trust with a fire arm, most of the rest i would knock the heck out and take your weapons... i gotta look out for me...

hehe, funny how in dissing me for being so "anti-gun" you would include in the quote, me saying someone i feel i would be comfortable with carrying a gun. maybe im not anti gun, maybe im anti paranoia... and maybe as i have said, guns are great, their just not a GEOCACHING item, ie every geocacher should have one, like a gps and trade items are. and why dis a brother about martial arts?? im not tryig to impress you, i never said i was jet li or bruce lee, whats your problem you have to directly attack someone?? maybe you are the one who needs to get over himself.

quote:
Originally posted by upinyachit:

There has been times where we have been spooked by others on the trail, but they are usually

fellow cachers or just hiking on the trails.

this is who i dont want having a gun... (luckily they dont want one) icon_wink.gificon_razz.gif for those of you who want to single me out as some "anti-gun steamroller" take a look at the avatar, and maybe actually read what i post... come on people... what i said before about the brain not working still stands... use that for once. (ps if you are assuming this means you, its probably because you have the attitude problem, notice i didnt name names, its a general statement)

quote:
Originally posted by upinyachit:

There has been times where we have been spooked by others on the trail, but they are usually

fellow cachers or just hiking on the trails.

this is who i dont want having a gun... (luckily they dont want one) icon_wink.gificon_razz.gif for those of you who want to single me out as some "anti-gun steamroller" take a look at the avatar, and maybe actually read what i post... come on people... what i said before about the brain not working still stands... use that for once. (ps if you are assuming this means you, its probably because you have the attitude problem, notice i didnt name names, its a general statement)

but every little shifting shadow sends them into a frightened frenzy

This is one of about ten of your references in this thread about us wild eyed gun owners.OI don't recollect anyone of the gun owners sounding like anything but upstanding. You on the otherhand sound very capable of inflamatory rhetoric. Re-read your highly excitable posts.

boo2.jpg

quote:
Originally posted by Jack Straw:

TThats right you have never heard from me before and here I am with some unrelated topic. But just look around, her posts and Bio..."gone".Mitsuko Please respond!

An unrelated topic perhaps but at least it has nothing to do with guns.

I was acused of being insulting. While I posted statistics, and tried to show where there was no danger, and basically responded in a logical manner, I was insulted. In fact, my replies were met with near hysteria. I was told I sniffed too much gunpowder. Also, I lack in common sense. And I was accused of being paranoid. In fact, some of the replies were hysterical

I did receive one compliment. I was told that I do know my guns. Hmmmm... thank you, but I NEVER posted ANYTHING about any type of gun.

On the plus side, so far 6 people have contacted me off-line for more information. So it was worth it.

What I think we were seeing here is the Million Mom March mentality again. But there never were a million. And they wern't all moms. And they didn't even march.

Anybody know when and where the first Million Mom March was held???

Dachau, in the concentration camps, Ca 1940.

Anyone remember Krystal Nacht? Just a few Jews, with stolen guns, held off the Nazis for how many weeks? Had there only been more guns. Had the Jews only not turned them all in to make it a "SAFER SOCIETY".

YOu know what. The Jews won't make that mistake again. And we should learn from their mistakes.

Net post... HUMOR. I promise.

Mike. KD9KC

El Paso, TX.

Many of us hike in areas where there are wild animals. Some 2 legged, some 4. Of these, the Grizzly Bear is perhaps the most dangerous of the 4 legged variety, although black and brown bears are out there too.

It seems many of us carry defensive firearms in these areas. A few have said they would only carry walking sticks and clubs. One fellow carries a sword. Personally, I would give a month's pay to see a grizzly against a sword. And I would buy the winner a beer. Hmmm... do grizzlies like beer? Dunno. Anyway.

There are often warnings posted in bear country. They say you should make lots of noise while you hike in bear country. (Take the kids along). They say you should also wear brightly colored clothing, with bells sewn on to make additional noise. And finally, avoid smelling like tasty food. Hmmm... what does a grizzly think smells tasty? Dunno. Anyway.

How can you tell if there are bears around. Well, if you are unlucky, you see them, hear them, or smell them. But this could be too late. Should you run if you see bears in the area, or will they chase you? Dunno. Anyway.

Look for scratches in the bark of trees. The higher up they are, the bigger the bear. Sometimes you can see bits of bear fur stuck in the tree bark. This is usually where a bear was scratching himself against a tree.

You can also look for bear poop on the trails. Also, you can identify the type of bear it is by the poop.

Black and Brown Bears usually have bits of berries, small bones, feathers, and fish parts in the poop. There might also be bits of trash from campsites. Otherwise, it looks like poop.

Grizzly poop is easy to identify. It is usually full of small peices os brightly colored clothing, small bells, and chunks of walking sticks or clubs.

No one has ever recorded grizzly poop with bullets or gun parts in it!

Hope you found it amusing.

Mike. KD9Kc

El Paso, TX.

About how they were able to make real and effective changes in our world. How they made the world safer, not by adding new laws to our books, but by forcing the government to enforce existing laws? Well, guess who Million Mom March loves to say they pattern themselves after. But guess what? All M.M.M. wants to do is make all kinds of restrictive laws. And their most recognizable face, Rosie O'Donnell? Do I need to bring up how she disparages gun owners, yet employs a few for her security detail. (Oops! She got caught, and blamed someone else before she changed her plans) That is exactly what this type of law will get our country. Wealthy folks can defend themselves. They always find a way. But when I'm out caching 10 miles from nowhere, I can't protect myself from the owners of the meth lab I happen to stumble upon. Oh, I get it. icon_rolleyes.gificon_rolleyes.gif

Proper use of rolleyes...........

boo2.jpg

About how they were able to make real and effective changes in our world. How they made the world safer, not by adding new laws to our books, but by forcing the government to enforce existing laws? Well, guess who Million Mom March loves to say they pattern themselves after. But guess what? All M.M.M. wants to do is make all kinds of restrictive laws. And their most recognizable face, Rosie O'Donnell? Do I need to bring up how she disparages gun owners, yet employs a few for her security detail. (Oops! She got caught, and blamed someone else before she changed her plans) That is exactly what this type of law will get our country. Wealthy folks can defend themselves. They always find a way. But when I'm out caching 10 miles from nowhere, I can't protect myself from the owners of the meth lab I happen to stumble upon. Oh, I get it. icon_rolleyes.gificon_rolleyes.gif

Proper use of rolleyes...........

boo2.jpg

quote:
Originally posted by KD9KC:

Many of us hike in areas where there are wild animals. Some 2 legged, some 4. Of these, the Grizzly Bear is perhaps the most dangerous of the 4 legged variety, although black and brown bears are out there too.

Just out of curiosity, can you tell me the difference between a Brown Bear and a Grizzly Bear?

quote:
Originally posted by Irvingdog:

This is one of about ten of your references in this thread about us wild eyed gun owners.OI don't recollect anyone of the gun owners sounding like anything but upstanding. You on the otherhand sound very capable of inflamatory rhetoric. Re-read your highly excitable posts.

http://www.hunting-pictures.com/members/Irvingdog/boo2.jpg

nice quote, but context is key, i never said every shifting shadow sends gunowners into a frightened frenzy. i said i know people like that, and i dont want those people to have guns. just like i wouldnt want anyone from missouri to have a drivers licence hehehee icon_biggrin.gif

quote:
Originally posted by Irvingdog:

http://www.hunting-pictures.com/members/Irvingdog/boo2.jpg

nice quote, but context is key, i never said every shifting shadow sends gunowners into a frightened frenzy. i said i know people like that, and i dont want those people to have guns. just like i wouldnt want anyone from missouri to have a drivers licence hehehee icon_biggrin.gif

and you will notice that i repeatedly said guns are a GOOD idea in bear country... Why cant people just accept a middle ground, dont read just half a post then chew out the poster for something you havent read all of (kd this is not to you) im progun, quite, but i think we need to think through what is apropriate for who, when and where. when you respond to an opinion like that by calling names (like anti gun nazis..) it does make you sound like wild eyed gun waving freaks. sorry leatherman, love your avatar, and agree with many things you, say and understand your point, but that was waaaay over the line.

quote:

This is way, way out there....but does anybody know what happened. Thats right you have never heard from me before and here I am with some unrelated topic. But just look around, her posts and Bio..."gone".Mitsuko Please respond!

icon_confused.gif

maybe you scared her off... hehehe...

quote:

This is way, way out there....but does anybody know what happened. Thats right you have never heard from me before and here I am with some unrelated topic. But just look around, her posts and Bio..."gone".Mitsuko Please respond!

icon_confused.gif

quote:

quote:

Just out of curiosity, can you tell me the difference between a Brown Bear and a Grizzly Bear?

No, I can't. I would be too busy running from any of them. But... now if I saw the poop.... I could tell you then.

Mike. KD9KC

El Paso, TX.

Sorry, I'm just messin with you. Brown Bear is just a common reference to a Grizzly because they are usually lighter colored than Black Bears. Common mistake because some Black Bears Are Blond in color instead of black, but they are the same breed. I have seen sow's with three cubs, two black and one blond, very cute but keep your distance.

Now I am sure someone will tell me I am wrong. Oh well, it keeps it interesting so flame on.

quote:

quote:
Originally posted by vash the stampede:

Oops stupid fingers!...anyway thats funny but she was not one to be afraid of of such things. Its just really weird thats all. now back to guns. For long term survival in the backcountry I would rather have a knife anyday, you know, it never runs out of bullets. And if there is an area where a cache is that I feel I need a gun to pack with me, well I aint gettin that one. this is fun but I have a family to support. icon_eek.gif

quote:

quote:
Originally posted by vash the stampede:

Oops stupid fingers!...anyway thats funny but she was not one to be afraid of of such things. Its just really weird thats all. now back to guns. For long term survival in the backcountry I would rather have a knife anyday, you know, it never runs out of bullets. And if there is an area where a cache is that I feel I need a gun to pack with me, well I aint gettin that one. this is fun but I have a family to support. icon_eek.gif

quote:

No, I can't. I would be too busy running from any of them. But... now if I saw the poop.... I could tell you then.

Mike. KD9KC

El Paso, TX.

The only thing any of our pea shooters are good for against a Grizzly, is to shoot your friend in the leg so you can run faster.

smileyshot22.gif

Preperation, the first law to survival.

39197_400.jpg

I almost always carry a handgun while geocaching, hiking, walking about town, or on a trip to the mall. The handgun is usually carried in a fanny pack/holster combo. Looks just like an ordinary fanny pack. What makes people think they will only need a gun in specific areas? Crime happens everywhere. Do I see a bogeyman behind every tree? No, I've been licensed and carrying since 1971 and not once have I felt threatened enough to draw my weapon. But....it could happen tomorrow. Someday you may be glad that there was a law abiding, gun carrying citizen around to aid you, your family, or a friend. To those who advocate a fake pistol - that's called suicide. icon_eek.gif

I almost always carry a handgun while geocaching, hiking, walking about town, or on a trip to the mall. The handgun is usually carried in a fanny pack/holster combo. Looks just like an ordinary fanny pack. What makes people think they will only need a gun in specific areas? Crime happens everywhere. Do I see a bogeyman behind every tree? No, I've been licensed and carrying since 1971 and not once have I felt threatened enough to draw my weapon. But....it could happen tomorrow. Someday you may be glad that there was a law abiding, gun carrying citizen around to aid you, your family, or a friend. To those who advocate a fake pistol - that's called suicide. icon_eek.gif

quote:

quote:

Mike. KD9KC

El Paso, TX.

Justfor everyones info, never ever ever run from a bear any kind of bear. It triggers a attack or hunt instinct. With top speeds of around 40mph the ability to climb trees (yes even some grizzly's can despite popular belief) and yes they CAN run down hill (one of the stupidiest things I've heard people say is that they're top heavy and can't run down hill) your not getting away.

"...Not all those who wander are lost..."