Stupid Jet-Ski

Went down to my girlfriends moms lake for the 4th of july weekend. Wouldn't you know it, she bought a brand new jet-ski! I come walking up with gps in hand, coordinates loaded and 5 pages of new caches to do in an area where I could hit 3 states within a 10 mile radius. I see the jet-ski. I look at my gps...look at the jet-ski...look at the gps. dadgum jet-ski cost me five new finds!! icon_mad.gificon_mad.gif Those things are a BLAST!!! icon_biggrin.gificon_biggrin.gif

Yep they are a lot of fun..We used to have one, but sold because my inlaws bought 2 brand new ones better than the one we had. They live on the lake and is easier to just go to thier house and use theirs. It's always better without the payments, upkeep, gas, towing, and etc...no worries, just use theirs... If we had the chance and depending on where we lived, we would probably get another one.

My son will be staying with them this summer for a couple weeks. His grandmother is interested in caching. He wants to try and get her to place one on this island right in front of thier house...

Brian Wood

Woodsters Outdoors

http://www.woodsters.com

quote:
Originally posted by Spzzmoose:

Went down to my girlfriends moms lake for the 4th of july weekend. Wouldn't you know it, she bought a brand new jet-ski! I come walking up with gps in hand, coordinates loaded and 5 pages of new caches to do in an area where I could hit 3 states within a 10 mile radius. I see the jet-ski. I look at my gps...look at the jet-ski...look at the gps. dadgum jet-ski cost me five new finds!! icon_mad.gificon_mad.gif Those things are a BLAST!!! icon_biggrin.gificon_biggrin.gif

Hey, just be careful! Most PWC (Jet Ski is a model of PWC, like Camaro is a model of car) accidents occur in the first 5-10hrs of riding experience. Without going tooo far off topic, it has to do with the instincts we gain operating just about any other vehicle (car, bike, etc). Everything else, the 1st thing we learn is in an emergency, slow down and try to avoid it. On a pwc, by virtue of the fact that it's steered via thrust from it's jet pump, if you let off the throttle, you loose steering. In an emergency you have to fight your instincts and accelerate to avoid the situation.

Just a friendly lesson from a long-time PWC rider.

We now return you to your regularly scheduled geocaching, already in progress.

Tae-Kwon-Leap is not a path to a door, but a road leading forever towards the horizon.

quote:
Originally posted by Mopar:

quote:
Originally posted by Spzzmoose:

Hey, just be careful! Most PWC (Jet Ski is a model of PWC, like Camaro is a model of car) accidents occur in the first 5-10hrs of riding experience. Without going tooo far off topic, it has to do with the instincts we gain operating just about any other vehicle (car, bike, etc). Everything else, the 1st thing we learn is in an emergency, slow down and try to avoid it. On a pwc, by virtue of the fact that it's steered via thrust from it's jet pump, if you let off the throttle, you loose steering. In an emergency you have to fight your instincts and accelerate to avoid the situation.

Just a friendly lesson from a long-time PWC rider.

We now return you to your regularly scheduled geocaching, already in progress.

+ _Tae-Kwon-Leap is not a path to a door, but a road leading forever towards the horizon. _

Your absolutly right mopar. I noticed the loss of control the first time I had it at idle. I own a boat and it not like an outboard at idle (you still have some control)! Good heads up!! icon_smile.gif

quote:
Originally posted by TEAM 360:

You had to choose, and you chose wisely. The caches will still be there tomorrow, but the opportunity for the jet ski fun was RIGHT THEN. I agree with sbell111, going to hide some caches by jet ski is a good excuse to go use it again...

I guarantee...it will be the highest maintained cache in the history of this sport! icon_biggrin.gif

Good Luck with the PWC, but use common sense on it. Most boaters (myself included) have little use for jet skiers. We just had a collision on Lake Michigan this past weekend, 5 people on 2 wave runners jumping a wake, one landed on the other one. Fortunately the only injury was a broken leg. It happened a few years ago and one person died. I know it's fun to jump a moving boat's wake, but stay at least 100' from the boat. I've had waverunners within 20' of my moving boat to jump my wake. I've also had a guy make a sharp turn and soak me at Table Rock Lake. I've had them buzz me while I was fishing. I now have a rod ready with a large Muskie lure on it. DNR tells me that if I snag a wave runner operator, the operator would be at fault. I know it's not like that everywhere, but I've seen it on enough lakes in the Midwest.

I'm not against all PWC operators, just use common sense, follow the boating rules, and show a little courtesy to other boaters. There's alot of nuts out there in bassboats that will go over 70mph, who would love to run you down.

Maps?!? I don't need no stinking maps! I got coordinates!

quote:
Originally posted by Woodsters Outdoors:

Yep they are a lot of fun..We used to have one, but sold because my inlaws bought 2 brand new ones better than the one we had. They live on the lake and is easier to just go to thier house and use theirs. It's always better without the payments, upkeep, gas, towing, and etc...no worries, just use theirs...

I wonder whether the guidelines and FAQ's at jetskiing.com caution you "not to place a distant jet ski, or a jet ski that you will only use on vacation, unless you are in a position to maintain the jet ski."

Just a thought. icon_biggrin.gif

x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x

Some mornings, it just doesn't pay to chew through the leather straps. - Emo Phillips

Woodbutcher68 :

IF you just happen to snag one of those puppies, would you be able to keep it or will you just have to throw it back?

I want to watch you lip it to get it out of the water.

You just might have to wack it with a club to calm it down enough to get it out of the water. Unless you just plan on sinking it down to the bottom.

logscaler.