Telescoping Cache

martmann

Here’s my idea:

Start with a large ammo can cache, Inside it is all the normal cache stuff, and a smaller ammo can with all the normal cache stuff, inside that is all the normal cache stuff, and a smaller cache container, etc. until you are down to an Altoids tin with a micro tube in it.

I would make all the cache containers, including the logbook, writing tool and some trading items, they would all be in the first cache. The first finder would leave the biggest cache box, and take the box with all the others, and hide it anywhere they want.

The first finder of the second cache would leave the biggest cache box (second largest in the series), and take the box with all the others, and hide it, but they would have to find a suitable place somewhere along the line created by connecting the first to locations, (+/- X degrees and at least 1 mile away) only further away from the first cache than the second, this goes on until the micro-tube is placed further away from the first cache than any of the others, and all the caches are in a line.

The challenge would be to find a good place along that line to hide the next smaller cache, although since the cache size keeps getting smaller it would be easier to find a place to hide it.

The 'line' rule could be replaced with something similar, but the idea would be to follow the pattern of the first 2 caches and see where it leads. Or each hider could add a new rule for hiding the next one.

Feel free say what you think, I won't pack up my toys and leave (even if you want me to).

107436_600.jpg

If trees could scream, would we still cut them down?

Well, maybe if they screamed all the time, for no reason.

Click here for my Geocaching pictures

Hello Earthling. I am Cx13bykndfbt from the planet Phrupt, which is 2 light years beyond the Milky Way. Please tell me that this is the smallest and final step in my cache search. I promise not to extinguish your Sun on my way back home, even tho we too practice cito. icon_biggrin.gif

quote:
Originally posted by Cholo:

Hello Earthling. I am Cx13bykndfbt from the planet Phrupt, which is 2 light years beyond the Milky Way. Please tell me that this is the smallest and final step in my cache search. I promise not to extinguish your Sun on my way back home, even tho we too practice cito. icon_biggrin.gif

Please send me a photo from the scanning electron microscope you used to find the cache, I will not even get into how you signed the log.

P.S. I always knew that Cholo was a sock puppet for you Cx13bykndfbt

Team Ekitt10 It's just a rough idea, with nothing set in stone. I like some parts of the idea, not all. I'm mainly looking for creative input to refine and polish the idea, or give it up.

That 'Spawner' cache is a very cool idea, thanks for the link The Buzzard's.

I am on the verge of hiding my first cache, which will be an average cache in a location I like a lot. This idea is for down the road, but I wanted to get started on the planning phase. I always think better with other people's input. The end result may not even look like it came from this thread, but sometimes suggesting something 'out there' gets creative input, that would not be available when starting with a run-of-the-mill idea.

I like the idea in general, but you might have a hard time getting it approved. The problem I see with it is the same as a traveling cache in that GC.com, and you, have no control over where a sub-cache is placed.

What about listing the sub-caches, do they have a seperate page of their own?

Can any person once removed from a cache be able to find and log it? In other words, any cacher can hunt and log a cache other that the one he hid?

How are you planning to enforce the +/- X degrees hiding of the third and later caches?

Some things to be worked out and established before put into motion.

CR

72057_2000.gif

quote:
Originally posted by Sissy-n-CR:

I like the idea in general, but you might have a hard time getting it approved. The problem I see with it is the same as a traveling cache in that GC.com, and you, have no control over where a sub-cache is placed.

What about listing the sub-caches, do they have a seperate page of their own?

Can any person once removed from a cache be able to find and log it? In other words, any cacher can hunt and log a cache other that the one he hid?

How are you planning to enforce the +/- X degrees hiding of the third and later caches?

Some things to be worked out and established before put into motion.

CR

http://img.Groundspeak.com/user/72057_2000.gif

The first big cache would be submitted as a single traditional cache, since that is all it would be, with its own log, and no requirement to find any other cache, the first finder would hide the next smaller cache (hidden inside the first cache), and submit that as a single traditional cache just like the first, etc. Each cache once placed, would be it's own individual cache, with its own log, and no requirement to find the others, but with a traceable thread to the original (by a word that's the same in all the cache titles) the +/- X degrees thing would be more of a guide than a hard and fast rule.

I like the Centauri Mission: The Mother Ship maybe I'll just try to do something more like that.