TNLN or Trade?

Clan Ferguson

Sometimes there is nothing in the cache that interests me. If that's the case I'll take nothing, but leave a few decent items to give the next finder something interesting to swap out. The only time I'll TNLN is if I left my bag of tradeables in the car.

With Bassoon Pilot usually finding caches ahead of me however, there are usually at least a few Wheresgeorge bills and they are always worth taking.

quote:
Originally posted by umc:

So why did we need two threads for the same subject?

http://www.mi-geocaching.org/

I started this thread because I was curious how many do what.

I started the other thread to explain myself with out tainting the results of this poll. thats why the other thread came later in the day.

Djjd,

I don't know about you but I don't need a GPS and a reason to go for a walk. I started Geocaching as a fun thing for the family to do outside the home. and I am sorry if my Opinion offends you. but as I said it's my opinion and I have a right to voice it.

Collecting the treasures to me is like making a scrap book of my journey. Sorry if that makes me hyperfocused and materialistic. But we all got our hobbies.

and yes in my world and my group it is the only correct way to cache. but when I go cacheing I don't see you in my group, so I don't see a problem.

And to everyone, Thanks for the responses. and for those who hav't voted yet. Please don't let the contents of this thread sway your decison to vote.

Thank you

Cache On!!

James

"Big Dog"

-Clan Ferguson

quote:
Originally posted by Rubbertoe:

I've made a few posts over there as well, but I wanted to add this here.

It seems that several people are saying that TNLN hurts a cache somehow. I can't understand how this is supposed to be accurate.

If someone TNLN's a cache - it is as if they hadn't even been to the cache at all! How can this be a negative thing for a cache. They aren't leaving anything different in the cache, so they aren't running the risk of someone thinking they didn't trade fairly... and whatever contents were there before them are still going to be there after their visit.

So, I see absolutely no harm in TNLN visits to people's caches... and I can't see how people can attribute the decline of a cache due to TNLN visits, either. icon_smile.gif

Where there is no gain, the loss is obvious.

quote:
Originally posted by Rubbertoe:

I've made a few posts over there as well, but I wanted to add this here.

It seems that several people are saying that TNLN hurts a cache somehow. I can't understand how this is supposed to be accurate.

If someone TNLN's a cache - it is as if they hadn't even been to the cache at all! How can this be a negative thing for a cache. They aren't leaving anything different in the cache, so they aren't running the risk of someone thinking they didn't trade fairly... and whatever contents were there before them are still going to be there after their visit.

So, I see absolutely no harm in TNLN visits to people's caches... and I can't see how people can attribute the decline of a cache due to TNLN visits, either. icon_smile.gif

Where there is no gain, the loss is obvious.

I have traded at one geocache.

I have took nothing left a stuffed eeyore at another.

I have took nothing and left nothing at yet another.

I'll do whatever I feel like based on how i got there (if i biked there ill probably tnln) and what I have with me at the time.

:-P

-zr

-----

If it ain't broke, I can *fix* that...

quote:
Originally posted by Clan Ferguson:

When you find the cache,

Do you TNLN or do you trade?

Of late, I tend to be taking nothing, leaving something (and of late, the somethings seem to have been whizzer whistles, bouncy balls, mini-flashlights (WITH battery, for cripe's sake) and gliders.

If you don't like that, you're going to have to get VERY specific, because I'm sick to death of people who whine about trade items ('I'm sick of finding junk in caches' but never specify what they would enjoy finding).

Well I can agree with saying what you do enjoy finding is a good idea instead of always saying what we don't like (junk) but is should be somewhat obvious that finding something other than a rock has to be good. I would like to know who would trade a rock that they picked up on the way to the cache.

Trading items that are free is fine but if something has a bit of value to it then thats even better. Take for example the Travel Bug theory, They are valuable in the fact that you don't come across them everyday. So maybe something unique. I don't know, lets just keep on keeping on.

migo_sig_logo.jpg

quote:
Originally posted by umc:

Well I can agree with saying what you do enjoy finding is a good idea instead of always saying what we don't like (junk) but is should be somewhat obvious that finding something other than a rock has to be good. I would like to know who would trade a rock that they picked up on the way to the cache.

One of the cooler things I've traded for was a very spiffy looking rock that a certain geocacher had placed in the cache, having picked it up off the ground on the way to the cache. (It was a chunk of smooth river rock, broken in half exposing the crystalline interior). If I recall, I swapped a regular $2 whistle for it and felt bad that I didn't have something better to trade for it. I've still got the rock, one of the few trade items I haven't gotten rid of either by trading them on or pitching them out.

Some people like rocks. Some people (like me) like plastic animals (like snakes, or whales, or lizards). Some people like useful items like lanyards, magnets, etc. And, of course, some people just prefer to gripe about what everyone else chooses to leave.

If you don't like what you're finding in caches, the solution is to start placing items that you like in caches, swapping for stuff you consider junk. Then, the pool of trade items you like will increase. Other people might be inspired to place similar items.

I offer my personal guarantee that this will be ten times as effective as griping in the forums about what people leave in caches.

quote:
Originally posted by Kodak's4:

If you don't like what you're finding in caches, the solution is to start placing items that you like in caches, swapping for stuff you consider junk. Then, the pool of trade items you like will increase. Other people might be inspired to place similar items.

I agree with that also.

Thanks

migo_sig_logo.jpg

mmm...

I like cool-looking rocks, too. Spent a while looking around a beach on Lake Michigan that supposedly had quite a few petoskies, never found one. Probably would have traded for one if someone had left one in a nearby cache we found. Luckily, I found a nice big one later on in my vacation- on a lake Huron beach.

What I don't get at all is people who leave used golf balls, especially in trade for something of a bit better quality icon_rolleyes.gif. Does anyone actually collect used golf balls found in caches?

Also, am I one of the only ppl. who put every trinket I leave in it's own ziptop baggie, unless by it's nature the thing is already pretty much waterproof? (It helps that I got a bunch of mini baggies real cheap at a craft store a while back... about 4 years BGC-Before GeoCaching icon_wink.gif )

I walk the Maze of Moments, but everywhere I turn to, begins a new beginning, but never finds a finish..

mmm...

I like cool-looking rocks, too. Spent a while looking around a beach on Lake Michigan that supposedly had quite a few petoskies, never found one. Probably would have traded for one if someone had left one in a nearby cache we found. Luckily, I found a nice big one later on in my vacation- on a lake Huron beach.

What I don't get at all is people who leave used golf balls, especially in trade for something of a bit better quality icon_rolleyes.gif. Does anyone actually collect used golf balls found in caches?

Also, am I one of the only ppl. who put every trinket I leave in it's own ziptop baggie, unless by it's nature the thing is already pretty much waterproof? (It helps that I got a bunch of mini baggies real cheap at a craft store a while back... about 4 years BGC-Before GeoCaching icon_wink.gif )

I walk the Maze of Moments, but everywhere I turn to, begins a new beginning, but never finds a finish..

Eh. I trade when I feel compelled, but a LOT of the time, I TNLN because either

a.) I'm on a business trip and can't drag my bag o' loot around with me or

b.) I forget my bag o' loot

c.) I'm going on a very long outing and am trying to minimize my bulk - so I don't bring my bag o' loot.

I don't see anything wrong with TNLN and I quite like letterboxes. Letterboxes are usually more about the spot (nice view, good walk, etc) than what's in the box.

However, like you I do tend to trade for things that have a strong connection to the cache itself. For instance - I did a cache that I think was called Rails to Trails and in the cache was a railroad spike. I traded out for that because it was a cool momento of the cache that was hidden near a very cool old railroad bridge.

--------

trippy1976

migo_sig_logo.jpg

Some people out here in Utah have signature items that they trade, or leave, in caches. the 'Where's George' bills are nowhere to be seen. As for myself, I tie fishing flies as a hobby, and put a couple into a film canister to leave in the caches I go to. I'll trade if there's something interesting in the cache, or I'll just leave the flies. I've seen a lot of junk in caches, but have never removed any junk, cause I figure someone in the past put it in there for a reason. I also have a lovely collection of baubles on my desk that I've collected from trading in caches. I can look up at them and remember the fun hikes I've been on.

It all depends on what is in the cache. If there is something I want, I know a friend might want, or my daughter might like, I trade.

If none of the above, I will 'take nothing', but I always leave 'something'.

Unless there is no room in the cache to just 'leave something'. In that case, I will take something to drop off at another cache, so I may 'leave something'.

Zahrim....

"There's no need to be afraid of strange noises in the night.

Anything that intends you harm will stalk you silently."