TNLN or Trade?

Clan Ferguson

I Like to trade but recently in a cache I visited there was not a darn thing worth trading, everything was used and dirty. Now normally I would like to trade up but I didn't see the point in this circumstance. I would rather trade nothing than add to the junk.

migo_sig_logo.jpg

I do like to move the travel bugs around and I do sometimes help replenish caches that have gotten a little "thin" but I don't usually take anything for myself. Now, when My Three Sons (3,7, & 9) are caching with me (or should I say treasure hunting) we bring things for them to exchange.

TxHipowr

If there's something interesting, I'll trade. If I'm not interested in anything, I'll leave a little something unless it's already stuffed. (I recently got a bunch of cheap-but-might-be-interesting-to-someone keychains, and some other *unused* stuff for free.)

I walk the Maze of Moments, but everywhere I turn to, begins a new beginning, but never finds a finish..

I always try to leave something... But I rarely take anything, (unless I find a pin... I collect those)

Generally, the caches that are 2 mile hikes or longer seem to be loaded with *really* nice stuff. If I'm heading out to one, I'll stop by the store and grab something decent just for the occasion (left DVD movies, tool kits, snakebite kits, etc)

The shorter ones I usually take nothing but I'll leave a koosh ball, or keychain or something...

I remember my first few caches, I left a DVD in one and a screwdriver set in another, and they guy behind me traded a buck for each... I was a *little* torqued icon_smile.gif

geosig.jpg

Contents Under Pressure...

I always try to leave something... But I rarely take anything, (unless I find a pin... I collect those)

Generally, the caches that are 2 mile hikes or longer seem to be loaded with *really* nice stuff. If I'm heading out to one, I'll stop by the store and grab something decent just for the occasion (left DVD movies, tool kits, snakebite kits, etc)

The shorter ones I usually take nothing but I'll leave a koosh ball, or keychain or something...

I remember my first few caches, I left a DVD in one and a screwdriver set in another, and they guy behind me traded a buck for each... I was a *little* torqued icon_smile.gif

geosig.jpg

Contents Under Pressure...

quote:
Originally posted by Clan Ferguson:

Me. I always trade.

Often there's nothing of interest to me, so I TNLN, otherwise, we carry a box of cache prizes with us, and we trade, but will either not mention it, or more usually log it only as TSLS, as I want the cache contents to be a suprize, and I have no interest in getting into debates on whether what I traded was an "up" or a "down" trade. I trust my own taste and values.

ApK

If my daughter is with me, I will trade something because she will invariably see a toy that she wants. But, I am getting away from really caring what is inside the caches. If I see something I might take it.

Lately, I have gone to the 99cent store and picked up a whole basket full of goodies. Little grooming kits, office supplies, tire gauges, tools, flashlights, watches, cards, games, you name it. For $20, I am stocked up and always have something fitting to drop in a cache I visit.

stealyourcache.gif Serious cachers needed! www.theheavenlyhost.com/geocache

I usually only trade Where's George dollars (out here, there are usually two or three in every cache,) but if there are none in the cache, I usually take nothing and leave one or two Georges.

I've TNLN twice when I left my wallet in the car, a couple of times when I felt the cache had been compromised because the logbook indicated the last couple of visitors had left Georges and there were none to be found in the cache, and on a couple of very rare occasions when I felt the cache was a complete waste of time ... though I would never write that in a log/logbook. icon_wink.gif

I usually only trade Where's George dollars (out here, there are usually two or three in every cache,) but if there are none in the cache, I usually take nothing and leave one or two Georges.

I've TNLN twice when I left my wallet in the car, a couple of times when I felt the cache had been compromised because the logbook indicated the last couple of visitors had left Georges and there were none to be found in the cache, and on a couple of very rare occasions when I felt the cache was a complete waste of time ... though I would never write that in a log/logbook. icon_wink.gif

quote:
Originally posted by BassoonPilot:

I've TNLN [. . .]on a couple of very rare occasions when I felt the cache was a complete waste of time ... though I would never write that in a log/logbook. icon_wink.gif

>

ApK

[This message was edited by ApK on September 24, 2002 at 10:34 AM.]

quote:
Originally posted by BassoonPilot:

I've TNLN [. . .]on a couple of very rare occasions when I felt the cache was a complete waste of time ... though I would never write that in a log/logbook. icon_wink.gif

>

ApK

[This message was edited by ApK on September 24, 2002 at 10:34 AM.]

I've been to some caches that were pretty-well picked over. I always take along something newly purchased from Walmart or Dicks to contribute thats worth at least a buck or two. I usually don't take anything unless it appeals to me in some way. There was this neat rubber chicken in a cache in South Jersey that I've been having some great fun with. icon_biggrin.gif The adventure of finding and logging the cache usually makes up for any boring contents.

"When you find it, its always in the last place you look."

I've been to some caches that were pretty-well picked over. I always take along something newly purchased from Walmart or Dicks to contribute thats worth at least a buck or two. I usually don't take anything unless it appeals to me in some way. There was this neat rubber chicken in a cache in South Jersey that I've been having some great fun with. icon_biggrin.gif The adventure of finding and logging the cache usually makes up for any boring contents.

"When you find it, its always in the last place you look."

My first couple of finds, I wasn't completely familiar with the concept, so I didn't trade anything.

Then I got all gung-ho about caching and started bringing along trade items, but I think I only traded once, maybe twice before giving it up. I simply learned that there was never anything in a cache that I truly wanted. ...except once, and it ended up turning my neck green. icon_wink.gif

When I've cached with other people, some of them like to trade, some don't. One time, I had to walk back about a mile to the truck to get a decent trade item because my friend Kristin just had to have that harmonica.

In total, of all my 100+ finds, I think I've probably traded about five times, and only once when I was alone.

Jamie

My first couple of finds, I wasn't completely familiar with the concept, so I didn't trade anything.

Then I got all gung-ho about caching and started bringing along trade items, but I think I only traded once, maybe twice before giving it up. I simply learned that there was never anything in a cache that I truly wanted. ...except once, and it ended up turning my neck green. icon_wink.gif

When I've cached with other people, some of them like to trade, some don't. One time, I had to walk back about a mile to the truck to get a decent trade item because my friend Kristin just had to have that harmonica.

In total, of all my 100+ finds, I think I've probably traded about five times, and only once when I was alone.

Jamie

I think Trading adds something to the game and makes it more fun. As others have mentioned if my kids are with me they always trade. If, however, there is nothing that I want then I may just sign the logbook and leave. Or if I have some neat item that I think some one else will like then I leave that for a fun find for someone. Sometimes the cache is a theme cache and I don't have anything that fits the theme. If I am feeling really creative I will make up a story on how the item I left really did fit the theme even though it may not be obvious to the casual observer. I enjoy reading logs and seeing picutres taken by other cachers much more than I do trading, but I like to do both if possible

Well, when caching as a team, we usually trade, and we always trade up (at least in our eyes or in retail value) when we do.

However, when I am on travel alone, I don't really plan ahead, I just go if and when I have the oppertunity, so I generally TNLN on the road.

For me, its about the hunt, but the trading is fun as well, and I enjoy seeing what other folks have left.

Shannon

VegasCacheHounds

I've made a few posts over there as well, but I wanted to add this here.

It seems that several people are saying that TNLN hurts a cache somehow. I can't understand how this is supposed to be accurate.

If someone TNLN's a cache - it is as if they hadn't even been to the cache at all! How can this be a negative thing for a cache. They aren't leaving anything different in the cache, so they aren't running the risk of someone thinking they didn't trade fairly... and whatever contents were there before them are still going to be there after their visit.

So, I see absolutely no harm in TNLN visits to people's caches... and I can't see how people can attribute the decline of a cache due to TNLN visits, either. icon_smile.gif

toe.gif

Click the Toe...  and please stop confusing your opinion with fact, ok?

I've made a few posts over there as well, but I wanted to add this here.

It seems that several people are saying that TNLN hurts a cache somehow. I can't understand how this is supposed to be accurate.

If someone TNLN's a cache - it is as if they hadn't even been to the cache at all! How can this be a negative thing for a cache. They aren't leaving anything different in the cache, so they aren't running the risk of someone thinking they didn't trade fairly... and whatever contents were there before them are still going to be there after their visit.

So, I see absolutely no harm in TNLN visits to people's caches... and I can't see how people can attribute the decline of a cache due to TNLN visits, either. icon_smile.gif

toe.gif

Click the Toe...  and please stop confusing your opinion with fact, ok?

Maybe something along these lines may need to be visibly incorporated in the physical cache itself. Have seen the No McToys logo. Got a chuckle outta that one...

But really, the community involved here in the forums probably represents less than .1% of the entire geocaching community. At that, we probably tend to be the creme de la creme of the bunch - always trashing out, never creating new trails, always trading up, and never, ever hiding a cache on NPS land.

The true reality is that I have been to several caches where there is literally nothing but crap. One I went to recently, I left something but took nothing. Hope it doesn't get wet and rust. Then the cache will be full of red, dingy, muddy crap.

I try to make my 'Welcome to Geocaching' note in the cache quite prominent - on colored paper and heavily laminated. On the back, in big red letters, I gently print the basic requirements - trade for like value, no food, etc.

---------------

wavey.gif Go! And don't be afraid to get a little wet!

Finding a Gladware (or cheaper/more flimsy) container. icon_rolleyes.gif

When just adding a “Where's George” would triple the value of the cache, I'm not inclined to leave anything more than my signature. Most others get my signature item (an assortment of foreign coins) and occasionally something extra like a travel bug, “Where's George”, etc. Few items interest me enough to take.

Worldtraveler

When just adding a “Where's George” would triple the value of the cache, I'm not inclined to leave anything more than my signature. Most others get my signature item (an assortment of foreign coins) and occasionally something extra like a travel bug, “Where's George”, etc. Few items interest me enough to take.

Worldtraveler

Worldtraveler

If there's something I like, based on "cool" value and not monetary value, I will trade.

if the cache has nothing of interest i will take nothing and leave something.

If the cache is full of junk I will take nothing and leave a few somethings.

If your house catches afire, and there aint no water around,

If your house catches afire, and there aint no water around,

Throw your jelly out the window; let the dog-gone shack burn down.

**Huddie Ledbetter**

as I haven't been caching in ages due to work, and even then only got in a half dozen or so caches before getting too busy with my new business:

I don't cache for goodies. I frankly couldn't care less about goodies. I cache for the outing - a trip to somewhere I wouldn't likely visit, with a friend or loved one with whom I would rarely go for a walk let alone a hike. I cache for the personal challenge. I cache for the "tech-toy" aspect of messing with a GPSr. I cache for many reasons, a number of which I haven't even bothered to list here. Heck, I've even cached without logging, and have also hunted locations outside of caching (have you tried MinuteWar?)

You seem to have decided that caching without trading goodies is not caching. This means that:

a) you have become hyperfocused on just one (and a materialistic one, at that) of a wide number of great reasons to geocache

and/or

;) you feel the need to lift yourself above others by deeming _your_ idea of geocaching to be the only correct way of geocaching

Neither are good. I suggest you take a step back from the threads you have started and ask yourself exactly why you are geocaching in the first place, and then ask yourself why you feel the need to pidgeon-hole the world of geocaching into your personal definition thereof.

djjd

For me, it depends on the cache, and what I have with me. I've been to a couple with nothing but crap in a gladware container, and the log is the back of the geocaching notice sheet, so I didn't trade. On the flip side, I've been to caches full of great stuff, and the plastic dinosaur I have with me to trade just isn't worthy of anything already in the cache. I went to a cache this weekend that was plundered, with just an empty tupperware container sitting there, so in that case, I put in what I could gather from the car, along with a log book and pencil, and of course took nothing. The change machine at work dispenses "silver" dollars--right now, I can get a 3-7 mix of Susan B. Anthony and Sacagewea with $10, and I'll usually stock up before I go caching, and I'll use that as the basis for deciding if I want to trade or not. Would a gold dollar be a fair trade for what I want from the cache, and vice-versa?

Think Globally, Act Locally