Posted pictures of camouflage and unusual cache containers.

GarminArmin

quote:
Originally posted by rut:

Is that a stump? How has it gone over? Did you make it?

I've been thinking of the same thing but it would lie on it's side. Kinda like a fallen down tree.

Yup, its a stump, but no, I didn't make it. Just photographed it when I visited last March. Apparently the cache has since gone missing, and been replaced with a different container.

Here's a link to their page about the cache:

http://geocaching.exocet.ca/created-001.shtml

I don't have a pic of it, but the best one I've found so far was a Tupperware container spray painted to look exactly like the piece of granite it was hidden under. It blended it so well it took me quite awhile to find it. When I pulled it out I thought it was a rock that the cache was hidden behind.

---------------

Where am I going? I don't quite know.

What does it matter where people go?

Down to the wood where the blue-bells grow-

Anywhere, anywhere. I don't know.

-A.A. Milne

quote:
Originally posted by coast2coast2coast:

Still a work in Progress...I hollowed out a Driftwood log...there is a pencil in the pics for size comparison

http://img.Groundspeak.com/user/79702_1200.jpg

http://img.Groundspeak.com/user/79702_1100.jpg

http://img.Groundspeak.com/user/79702_1000.jpg

*We are teaching our Zoe dog to sniff out Tupperware...*

This may be the way to go if parks (at least in my area) say no to the idea of caches!! Love the design. How did you hollow that bad boy out?

I borrowed a chainsaw to slice off the top then

I used a chisel and a 1" wood drill...Took close to a week...Maybe I shoulda let it totaly dry first...

I dont quite know what to do with the lid tho...hinge it or use dowels...I was also thinking about putting a chain through the bottom and chain it to a root.I know that it will only keep honest people from stealing it..What do ya think???

quote:
Originally posted by coast2coast2coast:

I borrowed a chainsaw to slice off the top then

I used a chisel and a 1" wood drill...Took close to a week...Maybe I shoulda let it totaly dry first...

I dont quite know what to do with the lid tho...hinge it or use dowels...I was also thinking about putting a chain through the bottom and chain it to a root.I know that it will only keep honest people from stealing it..What do ya think???

I see how the lid would be tricky. I was thinking that myself. You might be able to hinge it to the under side of the lid, then to the inside side of the log. Not sure about the chain though. It would be neat if you could afix some sort of "rim" around the bottom of the lid so that it be like a cap on fit into the log.

We've thought about doing the hollowed out log too, kinda neat to see one done though....I don't think dowels would work though. With temperature and humidity changes, the wood will swell and make it difficult to get on and off. We were going to use hinges on ours, then re-cover the log with bark so the lid could not be distinquished from the bottom........ Let us know how it works out!

Children are natural mimics who act like their parents despite every effort to teach them good manners.

About the lid....Just make a plate (piece of plywood) sized to fit hole, index it in the hole, index the lid, and glue and screw it to bottom of lid.... Use a couple of screw eyes and a short piece of chain to keep lid with base...

Maybe even add a couple of magnet cabinet door latches to "lock" it on..

Dale

--------------------------------------------------------

I'm Diagonally Parked, In A Parallel Universe.

--------------------------------------------------------

It's a rock I made out of styrofoam and painted up to match the local geology. Underneath it's hiding a film canister with a small log book and pencil. I plan on it being a roaming cache. Whoever finds it grabs it and places it elsewhere in the city for someone to find. It should blend in most anywhere. I'm really interested in seeing where folks place it.

icon_eek.gif

--

Welcome to Not Necessarily Interesting News.

Criminal, that mini tutoral is great! Have you tried your last step with black and brown instead of what you've shown? The black should push the "background" back further. I use a more military looking pattern and have had the best results with flat black last. This gives more contrast and breaks up the box silhouette better IMO.

I'm going to have to find some leaves and do a few like your example, though. It looks pretty good.

CR

72057_2000.gif

Bohica,

That rock is really cool! But is the styrofoam weather-proof?

Here I am chucking all the styrofoam I'm finding as I clean the basement!

One of the meanest I've encountered (no pics): they dug a hole (in this case, it was okay; the park itself set it up, and it was in an area of the park that was under development) and put a plastic electrical box cover over the hole with the container -- a tackle box -- inside. So it was essentially buried but not such that you had to dig it up. Hundreds of man-hours were spent by many cachers this year hunting that one. Another leg of the same multicache was in a separate compartment of a real birdhouse.

Flat_MiGeo_B88.gif

Mein Vater war ein Wandersmann, und ich hab' auch im Blut

[This message was edited by Dinoprophet on February 04, 2003 at 07:33 AM.]

quote:
Originally posted by Sissy-n-CR:

Have you tried your last step with black and brown instead of what you've shown? The black should push the "background" back further. I use a more military looking pattern and have had the best results with flat black last. This gives more contrast and breaks up the box silhouette better IMO.

I'm going to have to find some leaves and do a few like your example, though. It looks pretty good.

Yes, I've used brown and black during the summer. the brown in the pics is really dark, almost black. I like the leaves because they lie flat, but not exactly flat like a paper stencil would. That gives it more depth. I started using a lighter color because unless you can hide in a deep shadow, the can will look like a dark blob in the sunlight.

Like I said in the example, the branches you choose should lie as flat as possible. I've experimented with others but they refuse to stay flat on the can.

http://fp1.centurytel.net/Criminal_Page/

quote:
Originally posted by Team Bohica:

It's a rock I made out of styrofoam and painted up to match the local geology.

What type of paint did you use? I understand that some paints will dissolve styrofoam.

---------------

I can't lie around and be lazy. I am a Thing-Finder, and when you're a Thing-Finder you don't have a minute to spare...The whole world is full of things, and somebody has to look for them.

-Pippi Longstocking

I've used camo duct tape to cover the lids of rubbermaid containers. Canadian Tire sells camo duct tape.

---------------

I can't lie around and be lazy. I am a Thing-Finder, and when you're a Thing-Finder you don't have a minute to spare...The whole world is full of things, and somebody has to look for them.

-Pippi Longstocking

For any of you who want an interesting camoflauged cache like this but dont have the time to make it check out hunting magazines. One idea that immediately springs to mine are stump feeders. These are peices of formed styrofoam that are painted and roughed to look like stumps in the woods. The inside is then filled with feed for wildlife. The cavity inside are big enough to pour almost 50 pounds of corn. Ive placed some before and have a hard time finding the ones I placed a year later. The top is secured with 2 pins that can be removed by hand. Run about 50 or 60 dollars.

quote:
Originally posted by J.A.R.S.:

quote:
Originally posted by Team Bohica:

It's a rock I made out of styrofoam and painted up to match the local geology.

What type of paint did you use? I understand that some paints will dissolve styrofoam.

I carved it and drilled out a hole for the film canister then laid down two coats of standard primer from a spray can. I thought the primer would eat it but it didn't. Next, I laid down about 4-5 coats of standard craft store enamel I got for $.50/bottle. Then I coated it with 3 coats of matte acrylic sealant to help weather proof it. After that I dulled the slight shine by adding a couple more thin coats of enamel.

It won't be the sturdiest container and I know that but I've made a couple more backups to replace it if it gets dinged badly. The cache went active yesterday and was found within minutes of the correct coordinates being posted. The first finder found the trick to finding it was doing it at night. I guess it doesn't reflect a flashlight beam quite the same as regular rocks.

The Bohican

--

Welcome to nowhere.nu. Now go home!

I didn't take any pictures, but I just did a series of caches by Team Dakiba. They had some of the best container cammo I have ever seen. icon_eek.gif

Some were truley diabolical icon_cool.gif. It's amazing what some people are able to devise.

They have really raised the bar on hiding a cache out here icon_biggrin.gif

Mama

...Running over the same old ground, what have we found?...

I had fun making this natural micro for a geocaching competition. It's been recycled for the better part of a year as a stage in a multicache hunt.

I made a log sized larger version based on a mortar tube, but don't have a good photo of that one. It's fun to lay things like this out in the open.

So much for the excuse that there's no place to hide a physical cache so only a virtual will do. It just takes a bit of time and imagination. icon_wink.gif

~erik~

We have a submersible cache called the AE2 in the shape of a submarine that is hidden on the bottom of a river. To find the cache you first must find the control unit, which operates the sub. On operating the control unit the sub comes to the to surfaces with a slight bow rise and the conning tower squirts water until it settles. The sub floats level with the conning tower vertical and the just the upper part of the sub visible. After the logbook and swaps have been done the controller is operated and the sub sinks back to the bottom of the river.

quote:
Originally posted by The Puzzler:

http://www.talkingbeaver.com/geocaching/cansafe.jpg

These could be nasty to find if they were left to look like litter. These are fake cans with a screw-on top or bottom. You can find them several places on the internet. Search for "decoy safes" or "diversion safes". Here is one such link:

http://www.pentagondefense.com/diversionsafes1.html

Has anyone tried these? What was the response?

A local cache was hidden inside a pop can. Several local cachers commented that they thought it was a poor choice, so the owners archived it.

Another cache we found elsewhere involved hiding a bison capsule inside a shotgun shell. I imagine that both caches would have a shorter than average lifespans if locals are in the habit of picking up trash. On the other hand, Moun10bike has theorized, based on the history of some of his hides, that trashy looking caches are more likely to be left alone if a geomuggle stumbles across them...

Ron/yumitori

Just scanned this topic. I am impressed by the creativity at work! Great stuff!

I clicked on the URL provided by Puzzler and found not only spray-can safes but Stone Safes. To obtain a rocky disguise, you are not forced to build a pseudo-rock; you can elect to buy one.

Admittedly the ones I saw are designed for house keys, and therefore would qualify as micro-caches.

Dreamer of Pictures

One thing I found with camo tape is after a year or so of exposure to the elements the color changes enough that the pattern stands out from the background.

========================================

"The time has come" the Walrus said "to speak of many things; of shoes and ships and sealing wax, of cabbages and Kings".

quote:
Waterproof alternatives to Altoids?

I assume Altoids tins aren't waterproof. Anybody come up with a good alternative for micro caches?

Try looking around the small tackle holder areas of your local sporting goods store- I've seen small ones (bigger than altoids, but not by too much) that are 'waterproof' and have o-rings. Some brands have dividers, but I've seen a 3-pack at Cabelas that has 1 that's 1 compartment, 1 that's 2-compartment and 1 that's 3-compartment. A little bit of (careful) time with an xacto, and all 3 could be useful icon_wink.gif

Also, I recently picked up an 'airtight' 4x2x1 container at the cookware section of Galayan's for $5. I'll have to see how it holds up.

I walk the Maze of Moments, but everywhere I turn to, begins a new beginning, but never finds a finish... -Enya, Anywhere Is