Memorial Day - Big Geocaching Day

It seemed like everybody was out Geocaching today (Memorial Day). All 3 of my caches were hit (Mountain Cache, Lake Cache, Urban Cache) and after looking at a lot of local caches there was a lot of activity. I even tried to do a first find on a cache

http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_details.aspx?ID=26147

that nobody has tried to find for almost a year and today me and another person tried to find it.

Have you noticed that Memorial Day was a big Geocaching day? I am pretty new at this and I would guess that all Holidays are pretty popular.

I'm more or less immobile now (and sleepless). I'll be lucky to be able to go caching at the end of the week. At least I got to read everyone's cache logs on my watch lists. Any day off is a good day to cache.

That moss-covered bucket I hailed as a treasure,

For often at noon, when I returned from the field,

I found it the source of an exquisite pleasure.

Samuel Woodworth The Old Oaken Bucket

I was planning on doing several (13) caches over Memorial Day but ended up only doing 4. I was at a family picnic and several (7) family members wanted to come along. Well to make a long story short. After teaching everyone how to use the GPS and letting everyone find the cache by themselves we just ran out of time to do all the ones I wanted. Everyone really enjoyed themselves so I’m looking at it as quality over quantity.

quote:
Originally posted by agentjack:

Have you noticed that Memorial Day was a big Geocaching day? I am pretty new at this and I would guess that all Holidays are pretty popular.

Well, my partner and I just started geocaching for the first time this weekend, and we logged two caches, six NGS benchmarks, and bought a new GPS to replace the POS I got from eBay. So I'd say memorial day weekend was a big geocaching day for us. icon_smile.gif

-- Tammy, of Team Psittacine

We don't have the totals yet, but it looks like 91 caches for the three days, and 8 not founds, and three benchmarks. We also went dancing each night for entertainment. It will take us a couple of hours tonight to log them all.

Ventura Kid and Spider Dude

Ever stop to think, and forget to start again?

Yes, it was and the website was showing it in a big way. I have DSL internet and I felt like I was using an old 300 baud modem. I logged a cache, left the room and came back and it was on the "My Cache" page and the log was gone!! I had to log it all over again. May not seem like a lot of work for you, but I take my time while I am posting and to see it all go to waste and have to start over again is a major PIA! This happened not once but twice icon_mad.gif

Am I the only one who noticed such lag while uploading my logs and pics?

Kar

Yeah it is nice to get out a do some caching and picnics and such. But let's not forget our service personnel who gave the ultimate sacrifice so we CAN go caching.

Thank You

Marine Lance Cpl. Thomas J. Slocum, 22, of Thornton, Colo. Killed in action in the vicinity of Nasiriyah. Assigned to the 1st Battalion, 2nd Marine Regiment, 2nd Marine Expeditionary Brigade, Camp Lejeune, N.C.

Army Capt. Russell B. Rippetoe, 27, of Arvada, Colo. Killed in combat. Assigned to A Company, 3rd Battalion, 75th Ranger Regiment, Fort Benning, Ga.

Army Sgt. 1st Class Randall S. Rehn, 36, Longmont, Colo. Killed in action in Iraq. Assigned to C Battery, 3rd Battalion, 13th Field Artillery Regiment (Multiple Launch Rocket System), Fort Sill, Okla.

quote:
Originally posted by zoltig:

Yeah it is nice to get out a do some caching and picnics and such. But let's not forget our service personnel who gave the ultimate sacrifice so we CAN go caching.

Thank You

Keith, your comments are most appropriate. A thank you from a Vet. And someday on your way home from work stop by for a cold one and then check out this Cache

A lot of my Caches were left un-hunted on this weekend. I went to Wyoming and saw Ft. Larimie

which was real neat on this special day. Then bagged several of those NEAT LOCATIONLESS CACHESand a couldn't find one, but came out with lots of ticks, so in a sense I found something. Put one of the ticks in a bag and froze the bugger to show to the school kids.

Tahosa - Dweller of Mountain Tops.

quote:
Originally posted by Team Shibby:

Yes, it was and the website was showing it in a big way. I have DSL internet and I felt like I was using an old 300 baud modem. I logged a cache, left the room and came back and it was on the "My Cache" page and the log was gone!! I had to log it all over again. May not seem like a lot of work for you, but I take my time while I am posting and to see it all go to waste and have to start over again is a major PIA! This happened not once but twice icon_mad.gif

Am I the only one who noticed such lag while uploading my logs and pics?

Kar

I noticed the site was slow all day yesterday. Seems to be back to normal now!

Good time to cache: 45 caches in one day in Thousand Oaks, CA. Saw lots of flags. Also visited one Veteran's Memorial. Visited San Francisco National Cemetery (Presidio) last week, and discovered that a Civil War General ancestor died while posted in San Francisco.