Syracuse Meeting of Cachers!

Guest Quinnow

Guest Quinnow

May 6th (Sunday) me and another Geocacher from Rochester will be heading to Syracuse to meet up with Anton before a nice day of caching to claim rights to several placed in that area. If anyone else from the area as well as others would like to meet up, please post it here or drop an e-mail to navicach@rochester.rr.com Anton would like to do the morning bagel and coffee thing.

drop some ideas if you have any! icon_smile.gif

------------------

Quinn Stone

Rochester, NY.14616

www.Navicache.com

Guest Anton

Greetings,

Bob Shear tells me that he will be out of the state on Sunday, May 6th. Since Bob has placed 2 of the 5 caches in the Syracuse area, perhaps we should pick another day to meet. How about Saturday, May 5th?

If Bob is the only one who can't make it, we can always stick with May 5th. Let's wait to see who, and how, the other cachers in the area respond to our meeting idea, and then make a final decision on the date.

Hope we find more new cachers in town!

Anton

------------------

Anton Ninno - N2RUD

Syracuse, NY 13210

Guest 300mag

Hello Quinnow.

This is a good idea.I would love to drive down the US and meet our neighbor geocachers.I will discuss it with (the boss) icon_wink.gif.She as been bugging me to go in the states for a long time.The only problem is now the exchange$ isn't great for us.But i'll still check it out.Maybe we could have a reunion up here someday too.We'll check our schedule and see if we can make it out there.

Guest Quinnow

Mag... We would love to have to visit, and bring some of those Northern caches with you icon_biggrin.gif As far as the date Anton, let me check with Gimpy and see what and how his plans are. Looking forward to getting out and finding all those syracuse caches. icon_biggrin.gif

------------------

Quinn Stone

Rochester, NY.14616

www.Navicache.com

Guest gstrong1

Saturday 5/5 sounds great to me.I'll take Fri. night off work.We all have to have our priorities,right. Really looking forward to getting together with some fellow cachers and kicking it around a bit. A few of our friends from north of the border make it an international event. Can' wait.

------------------

Gimpy

Guest 300mag

Ok for the 5th.Discused it with (the boss) and she's all for it.Would need some info for motels and stuff if possible.Or at least where we are going to meet.I would probably leave friday and drive down.This is about a 4hour drive.So i'd be there at around 9 or 10pm give or take.I will get some maps from our CAA club and will check out what kind of maps they have in this gm100.I can also be reached via e-mail danielh@vif.com Like they say "Place it and they will come" Would be nice to log in a few caches in the US while visiting.See you soon 300mag

[This message has been edited by 300mag (edited 27 April 2001).]

Guest Quinnow

agel! talk about devotion to a sport. Make sure you bring your gps with you as that is Gimpy's and my primary goal while in syracuse...CACHE HUNTING! icon_biggrin.gif I figure if we start at different sides of the city we won't run into each others group to give away the locations. But I am game for just about anything. I am looking forward to meeting everyone, and to tell you the truth I have never even met a real live cacher before. Hope you guys are not a bunch of loons just released from some state hospital, at least not like the one I came from icon_biggrin.gif I already have my routes programmed into my software for the GPS's, laid out my favorite hiking boots and lucky tee shirt.

Heck I have even painted up 3 .50cal ammo cans in case I find a great spot along the way! icon_smile.gif

------------------

Quinn Stone

Rochester, NY.14616

www.Navicache.com

Guest Anton

Two new caches just showed up in Syracuse, and I just finished packing up a can for my next cache. Likewise, I have made contact with another cacher. We have seven caches and maybe a dozen cachers. And to think the first cache was only planted on April 8th, less than a month ago! Now, if we could just get some other Syracuse people to start posting to this forum...

Anton

------------------

Anton Ninno - N2RUD

Syracuse, NY 13210

Guest 300mag

Just looking for some update on the situation.Ok seems like were meeting Anton somewhere in Syracuse.?????? icon_smile.gif I've got the city date no time and no exact location icon_smile.gifOk i'm getting a bit nervous but i can't wait to go icon_smile.gifThe suitcase and passport are ready lol.The gps and compass are loaded.Now for caches how will this work.I would like to be with someone who knows the area a bit.Maybe create a few teams and print out the different caches to find.Then at a certain given time all the teams could meet up and share there experiences. I could start right away with the trip from Canada to Syracuse lol.Fill me in with the details. icon_wink.gif

[This message has been edited by 300mag (edited 29 April 2001).]

Guest Quinnow

Mag...we won't leave you high and fry.

I'll contact anton and get some coordinates to meet at, then we can go from there!

I am from rochester, so getting around syracuse isn't going to be a walk in the park for me either icon_biggrin.gif but with the gps I think we should be ok.

And yes teams are fine. always room for another!

I am looking forward to meetin you all. My e-mail in case you wish to get me direct is navicach@rochester.rr.com icon_biggrin.gif

------------------

Quinn Stone

Rochester, NY.14616

www.Navicache.com

Guest Anton

Greetings,

I suggested Bruegger's Bagels at Nottingham Plaza on Nottingham Road, corner of Tecumseh Road, not far from Syracuse University. From the NYS Thruway (Rochester) get on Rt 690 East, then to Rt 81 South, and exit at Adams St. Take Adams past the hospital and up the hill to ostrom Ave. Go right onto Ostrom, then left onto Euclid Ave. Take Euclid to Meadowbrook Drive. Turn right onto Meadowbrook. From Meadowbrook you will go a couple (?) blocks and "bear" left onto Nottingham Road. (If you get to Broad St, you went too far, so take a left on Broad and get back to Nottingham.) Bruegger's Bagels is on Nottingham Road. You will see a small shopping center on the left, beginning with an Eckerd's Drugs. Bruegger's is at the other end of this short strip of small stores, near a gas station.

I want to meet early, but I realize you guys are traveling from Rochester and Canada. What time is good for you? I can't (won't) wait too long for my morning coffee. I'm guessing the trip from Rachacha is about an hour and 45 minutes, depending on your point of departure.

So, what's your pleasure? 7AM? 8AM? 9AM?

Anton

------------------

Anton Ninno - N2RUD

Syracuse, NY 13210

[This message has been edited by Anton (edited 29 April 2001).]

Guest gstrong1

Hello All

I'm sending along to give you my tentative plans regarding the Syracuse adventure.

I'll be heading out of Rochester early Fri. afternoon for Syracuse. I've reserved a room at the Comfort Inn at 6491 Thompson Rd. for Fri. night. Maybe this will give me time to meet up with a few fellow cachers that evening and kick things around a bit. Looking forward to a great time.I've e-mailed Quinn to inform him of my plans & if anything changes I will be sure and post it here. Gary "Gimpy" Strong

------------------

Gary "Gimpy" Strong

Rochester,NY

Guest Anton

Greetings!

The location of Bruegger's Bagels, taken from the parking lot, for the meeting this Saturday morning is:

N 43 01.685

W 76 06.651

Just planted my 4th cache, and it's in an interesting location - a hidden, almost inaccessible city park in the Syracuse University neighborhood where I live. Well, it's not really inaccessible (is it?), because I go there for walks. But few people who don't live in here will know the park is there, unless of course, they look at a good map of Syracuse. Know anyone who likes maps? :-) Onward and upward...

God save me from the ammo-can monster - I may have to start selling them online myself just to pay for my contributions to this goofy sport!

Anton

------------------

Anton Ninno - N2RUD

Syracuse, NY 13210

[This message has been edited by Anton (edited 01 May 2001).]

Guest gstrong1

Has anybody set a time for the meet at Brueggers.It doesn't seem to have generated a lot of input.

------------------

Gary "Gimpy" Strong

Rochester,NY

Guest Anton

Have to be at SUNY Oswego around noon to pick up my son for the weekend.

I placed cache my fifth cache at Clark's Reservation State Park yesterday afternoon. It was my way of celebrating the first anniversary of the removal of selective availability from the GPS system, which happened on May 2, 2000. That gives us an even dozen geocaches in Syracuse. I wanted to be sure our guests from Rochester had enough to keep them busy for the day!

Anton

------------------

Anton Ninno - N2RUD

Syracuse, NY 13210

Guest Anton

Here's my agenda for Saturday AM:

I will be at Bruegger's at 7:00 AM, sipping French Vanilla and munching a Cranberry bagel. I'll stay until 8-8:15, and then I have to get back to deal with business on the homefront.

If anyone wants to call me, send an email and I will reply with my home number, or you can look me up in the phonebook.

Anton

------------------

Anton Ninno - N2RUD

Syracuse, NY 13210

Guest 300mag

SORRY i can not make it this weekend.But if you decide to do another one at the end of the month i have the last week of may off so this would be perfect.Have fun and let me know about the results.And let me know how where the bagels icon_biggrin.gif

Guest Anton

Greetings,

Planted cache No. 5 to celebrate May 2nd, the first anniversary of the removal of selective availability, and to make sure our guests from Rochester have enough to keep them busy for a day - that makes an even dozen caches in the Syracuse area. If some of the other players around here get busy this weekend, there may be more!

I have No. 6 in the truck, but I've decided to wait until maybe Sunday or next week to plant that one - leave something fresh for the locals. Speaking of locals...what's with these guys who take 3-4 cache prizes at a time? "Take one; leave one."

And what's with this leaving money instead of a prize routine? This isn't about money. It's about taking the time to make it interesting. C'mon guys.

Anton

------------------

Anton Ninno - N2RUD

Syracuse, NY 13210

Guest Quinnow

No problem 300mag. we will work it out in the future. Anton if you could, e-mail me your home number and when it is good to call and me and Gimpy will work out a way to meet up with you. We are both looking forward to finding all the caches you guys have placed. And I am sure he does as well, but I would like to Thank You for all the time and work you invested into placing them. I hope you guys had fun doing it! (I should have said I hope we find!) icon_biggrin.gif

------------------

Quinn Stone

Rochester, NY.14616

www.Navicache.com

Guest Quinnow

Anton,

I know you must have an itch to get your butt out there and do some searching of your own. I have some packed and ready as well and will find the good spots to keep you busy when we come to town. so clean up that gps and change the batteries! icon_smile.gif

uhhh...did you say money icon_biggrin.gif

------------------

Quinn Stone

Rochester, NY.14616

www.Navicache.com

Guest Anton

Meeting Minutes for 5-5-01:

Mike Osborn-O'Brien and I met this morning at Bruegger's Bagels in the Nottingham Plaza from 7-8:00 AM. Had a lovely chat about local geocaching, and where I should plant my sixth cache - several great ideas!

Mike is an educator, like me. He's a high school earth science teacher. Mike participates in The G.L.O.B.E. Program, a worldwide science investigation project where students collect data locally and contribute their findings to an international database at . The GLOBE program encourages the use of GPS and loans GPS receivers to schools. Go take a look at the website. Find out if your local schools are using GLOBE. If they are, you could offer to help with a GPS demo, or by volunteering to help on a field trip.

This turned out to be a nice day for geocaching, with temperatures dropping from the 80's of the past week to a pleasant high in the 60's predicted for today. On the other hand, it was a bad day to hold our first meeting of local GCs. No one else showed up, including people who said they were planning to stop by. C'est la cache!

I think we'll try this again sometime over the summer - perhaps a picnic at a park with a cache or two in the area.

Until then...

Anton

------------------

Anton Ninno - N2RUD

Syracuse, NY 13210

Guest Quinnow

sorry Anton,

I e-mailed you a couple days ago to get your number and it just now got sent to me. I wanted to explain that Gary could not make it and that I was going to do the run but it would be late in the day.

wasn't sure if or not I was going to bring my daughter with me.

I'll end up getting a very late go but at least now I have your number to drop a dime when I am in that area of yours.

------------------

Quinn Stone

Rochester, NY.14616

www.Navicache.com

Guest Anton

ted Bruegger's Bagels is because I go there almost every morning anyway, so I would have been there even without the meeting. Love those cranberry bagels.

Good luck with the 11 local caches you haven't logged yet, and congratulations on being the first to bag my Morningside Conundrum cache. If you nail the Dry Bones cache on your first attempt, please don't tell me about it...unless you want to see a grown man cry. And be careful if you go after that CNY Falls #3 cache, the one where a less able cacher might crash and burn! Sounds like your military training may come in handy for that little expedition.

Anton

------------------

Anton Ninno - N2RUD

Syracuse, NY 13210

[This message has been edited by Anton (edited 05 May 2001).]