trail angels

I read this story in the Bergen Record today. it's about a "trail angel" named desperado. Basically he hikes the trails, (mostly the appalachian trail it seems) and he distrubutes water, fruit, candy and other snacks to hikers he encounters.

For free.

he also clears out trail hidaways, and leaves stocks of supplies in "bear proof containers" which, if you saw the photo, (n-a online) looks a lot like a large ammo canister.

Wondering if anyone has met this guy or anyone like him, and what makes someone like that tick.

william

alt.gif

I used to distribute small candy items to the little girls I encountered along the trail or in the parks. Sometimes they would do me “favors” as a demonstration of their gratitude. Sadly, some people questioned my motives and I had to cease the candy distribution. Oh well, there’s a lot of budding little girls out there who will have to go without.

http://fp1.centurytel.net/Criminal_Page/

quote:
Originally posted by Criminal:

I used to distribute small candy items to the little girls I encountered along the trail or in the parks. Sometimes they would do me “favors” as a demonstration of their gratitude. Sadly, some people questioned my motives and I had to cease the candy distribution. Oh well, there’s a lot of budding little girls out there who will have to go without.

http://fp1.centurytel.net/Criminal_Page/

Thats just wrong on so many levels. What type of candy? icon_biggrin.gif

When in doubt...hit it with a big hammer.

Montrose?

Yep....It's all Criminals fault for making me think like this though. I'm guessing Criminal is single and hasn't had any for a while.

Come to think of it, I'm married and haven't had any for a while. icon_frown.gif

Sorry Gwho for the OT.

GF

Fool me once, shame on you, fool me twice, shame on me.

logo_small.jpg

*Trail angels* do *trail magic.* I have experienced various types of trail magic on the AT and bicycling through the same area. It can appear as an invitation to dinner, ice cold beverages at a summit, and even a place to stay.

What makes them do it? I guess they just get satisfaction from it.

A search of *trail magic* will produce several examples. icon_cool.gif

I'm considering placing a cache called *Trail Magic.*

==============="If it feels good...do it"================

**(the other 9 out of 10 voices in my head say: "Don't do it.")**

Watch it gang. Jomarc5 is gonna show up here and give you all a tongue lashing for going off topic!

Anyway, I've heard of these people, but never met one.

I was going to mention that I just finished reading Bill Bryson's "A Walk in the Woods" which is a very funny story of his expereinces on the AT as a neophyte backacker, but I have to check with Jomarc to make sure it's not too far off topic. If it's OK with Jomarc, I'll recommend this book...but I have to wait for his approval before I do so.

"Give a man a fish, he'll eat for a day. Teach a man to fish, he'll sit in a boat and drink beer all day" - Dave Barry

[This message was edited by BrianSnat on August 22, 2003 at 01:29 AM.]

Ah Yes the ole Trail Magic. It's that totally unexpected, unsolicited reward that magically appears at the right time. I believe the terms Trail Angels and Trail Magic originated on the AT, but has spread throughout the Long Distance Hiking community. Trail Magic even happens between the trailhead and a trail town when that little black pickup appears out of nowhere and Bubba pulls over and hollers "going into town?"--"jump in" Many of the Trail Angels around the AT are veteran section or Thru-hikers. They feel somehow indebted for the gracious gifts others have provided as they trudged that magical trail. I too have left goodies at trailheads along roads that crossed the AT.

There is also another term along the AT and that is "Yogi". Yep you guessed it, just like Yogi the bear. You yogi something by deliberately putting yourself in a position for people to offer you something because of sympathy or pure wonder at why you are hiking all of those miles. I've seen this in campground settings around the Standing Indian area. My those hotdogs sure look good cooking on that grill there Mr. Ranger.

Sept1C-tank,

When you place your Trail Magic Cache, make it a multi cache with rewards along the way.

"I cache; therefore I am"

[This message was edited by Wanderingson and Compass Rose on August 22, 2003 at 06:11 AM.]

quote:
Originally posted by BrianSnat:

I was going to mention that I just finished reading Bill Bryson's "A Walk in the Woods" which is a very funny story of his expereinces on the AT as a neophyte backacker, but I have to check with Jomarc to make sure it's not too far off topic. If it's OK with Jomarc, I'll recommend this book...but I have to wait for his approval before I do so.

Bryson is off-topic because the discussion is trail magic experiences on the Appalachian Trail (and elsewhere), and Bryson's 'stories' are about as far from the reality of the AT as one can get.

A lot of folks find his writing hilarious, but I've repeatedly had difficulty getting into A Walk in the Woods. Perhaps I'm not the best judge of the man's talents.

If folks are interested in learning more about trail magic, besides the information Google will kick up, there's an AT mailing list.

Ron/yumitori

---

Remember what the dormouse said...

quote:

You're not the bassist for Phish, are you?

3608_2800.gif

"Don't mess with a geocacher. We know all the best places to hide a body."

quote:
Bryson is off-topic because the discussion is trail magic experiences on the Appalachian Trail (and elsewhere), and Bryson's 'stories' are about as far from the reality of the AT as one can get.

A lot of folks find his writing hilarious, but I've repeatedly had difficulty getting into A Walk in the Woods. Perhaps I'm not the best judge of the man's talents.

I didn't mention it yet. Still awaiting approval.

"You can't make a man by standig a sheep on his hind legs. But by standing a flock of sheep in that position, you can make a crowd of men" - Max Beerbohm

a well-known hiking trail crasses the road near my house. i've been working on putting together a large ammo box that will have nonperishable food and little necessities in a large ammo box, along with another box for empties.

i'm working out the particulars.

i thought it would be cool to make it a sort of cache, but i can't figure out how to get around the no food rule. the idea is that the cacher should leave somthing sealed and useable for a thru hiker. i'll keep the container clean and stocked.

things to go in it:

packets of tunafish

beverages

candy

cookies

mixed nuts

energy bars

dried beef

bandaids

moleskin

lighters

light cord

needle/thread

emergency poncho

waterproofer

anything else i should put in it?

-====)) -))))))))))))

presta schrader

quote:

I TOLD YOU I WASN'T A GIRL! icon_mad.gif

--------------------

You have the right to defend yourself, even when geocaching!

So if you're out in the woods and somebody you don't know offers you something, would you take it? Or would you follow Mom's advice "Never accept candy from strangers"???

--------------------

You have the right to defend yourself, even when geocaching!

Is it just me or does this "trail angel" guy sound slightly crazy to you. I could see him coming up the path in 70's clothes with a doobie hangin out the side of his mouth talking about "spreading the love". Maybe they should have this man arrested.

texasgeocaching_sm.gif

quote:
Originally posted by flask:

a well-known hiking trail crasses the road near my house. i've been working on putting together a large ammo box that will have nonperishable food and little necessities in a large ammo box, along with another box for empties.

i'm working out the particulars.

i thought it would be cool to make it a sort of cache, but i can't figure out how to get around the no food rule. the idea is that the cacher should leave somthing sealed and useable for a thru hiker. i'll keep the container clean and stocked.

things to go in it:

packets of tunafish

beverages

candy

cookies

mixed nuts

energy bars

dried beef

bandaids

moleskin

lighters

light cord