What would you have done?

Alright, this one goes down in the history books.

My wife and I are on vacation and out on the hunt for a few caches. A particular one has us stumped for a few minutes until she says..."nah, it can't be behind there?"

We look and sure enough, theres the micro, stuck to the back of a sign, hanging over a 30 foot drop! It seems perfectly reachable so I reach over, and nudge it just a bit.

"ahh I've got it... NOOOO..." *tonk tink tink slllllsh*.

Dead silence. We look down, and there it was. Utterly and completely out of reach. At first we laughed; this can't be for real right? Did we just destroy someone's lovingly placed cache? Then we cried; we just destroyed someone's lovingly placed cache. Then we cursed in anger; why would someone lovingly place a cache out there anyway?!?

So heres the situation: the micro is down there, we're up here. During the 10 minutes we've been there, we've already seen a handful of muggles, a security guard and a police officer. Up here is a very clear sign warning of a huge fine and serious jail time if we try to get down there. Do you risk the fine and jail time for a mint tin? Do you leave it and yell at the placer for the clearly ridiculous placement (hmm guess the other 10 finders were just lucky) or do you leave it and grovel endlessly with the placer explaining how freakish of an accident it was...

An hour, a visit to the local hobby store, some string, a remote controlled car, a tin buckle, some skillful (remote control) driving, some very nice string manipulating and a bit of luck later, we had our solution. Dropping the car down, driving it to the cache, using its magnetism to clamp to the buckle and some very steady pulling up retrieved the cache! We musta looked like couple of deranged fishermen, but dammit, we had our white whale!!

You should have seen the looks on the faces of the muggles as they tried to figure out why two grown adults were playing with a remote control car on a string down in a dry waterway.

So what situations have you gotten into while retrieving a cache? How did you get out of them? In our case, the $70 spent was nothing compared to our dignity! Imagine the shame had we had to leave it there... ohh.gif

CacheCreatures are spreading... They can hide, but they can't run!

We have a two similar caches at the end of some wharfs. The descriptions say something to the affect, "be careful in retrieving and replacing the cache; if you drop it there is no chance of getting it back". I was lucky, but I wondered at the time what lucky individual is going to loose that one. I don't think a remote control car is going to help them. Maybe a remote control submersible icon_wink.gif

Be not afraid of greatness: some are born great, some achieve greatness, and some have greatness thrust upon them. The rest go geocaching.

Why not just the string on a stick and a very strong magnet? You did say the cache dropped straight down didn't you.

Then again, if I wanted a good excuse to tell my wife why I just HAD to buy a RC car, I couldn't think of a better one than this. icon_biggrin.gif

Peace!

iBrew

Click here to see my Completely Useless Webpage

quote:
Oh, Great Spirit, let us greet the dawn of a new day when all men live as brothers and peace reigns everywhere! "Indian Prayer"

quote:
Originally posted by iBrew:

Why not just the string on a stick and a very strong magnet? You did say the cache dropped straight down didn't you.

Then again, if I wanted a good excuse to tell my wife why I just HAD to buy a RC car, I couldn't think of a better one than this. icon_biggrin.gif

Peace!

_iBrew_

Because then they would have been able to share this crazy story that made me go "...WOAH...".

You think we'd let this debacle go unrecorded? Pics were definitely taken. We'll post em when we get home. At the moment we have no way of getting them off the digital camera.

Duct tape was discounted due to our distance from the cache (30 feet down, 20 feet out), and angle away from it. After analyzing the geometry required to accomplish the objective, it became clear that the angle of incident was such that didn't allow for enough force at the contact area without a direct hit; very unlikely given our position. icon_rolleyes.gif

A stick with a magnet was considered, but was quickly discounted for essentially the same reason as the duct tape.

Besides the RC car was WAAAAAY cooler. icon_razz.gif

CacheCreatures are spreading... They can hide, but they can't run!

On a recent hunt, I was caching with a friend. He was replacing the container, when the lid popped off, and all of the contents came out. The cache had been perched in a hole in the side of a hollow tree about 10 feet up from the ground. All of the contents spilled down inside of the hollow tree. We were frantic for a minute, untill we realized there was another opening at the base of the tree. After tossing a few sticks down inside the cavity, we were able to dislodge the contents, and retrieve them at the hole in the bottom. After we logged our adventure, the hider added some support to the inside of the tree, and all was well.

[This message was edited by Bloencustoms on March 32, 1999 at 25:60 PM]

quote:
You should have seen the looks on the faces of the muggles as they tried to figure out why two grown adults were playing with a remote control car on a string down in a dry waterway.

You should have seen the look on my face when I read your post! icon_eek.gif

==============="If it feels good...do it"================

**(the other 9 out of 10 voices in my head say: "Don't do it.")**

quote:
Originally posted by CacheCreatures:

Alright, this one goes down in the history books....

...An hour, a visit to the local hobby store, some string, a remote controlled car, a tin buckle, some skillful (remote control) driving, some very nice string manipulating and a bit of luck later, we had our solution. Dropping the car down, driving it to the cache, using its magnetism to clamp to the buckle and some very steady pulling up retrieved the cache! We musta looked like couple of deranged fishermen, but dammit, we had our white whale!!...

quote:
Originally posted by Renegade Knight:

It's a good story and a worthy find. If they had a geocaching award for service above and beyond the call of duty you would have just earned it.

If it had been me, the owner would of gotten a "Not found post with the message sorry your ill placed cache fell." You surely earned that find!

Fantastic story!

We have one cache hidden very close to a canal. I don't think anyone who's found it has placed it back where it came from - they all think it will slip into the water, and put it further away.

Of course, we place it back in its rightful place each time we do a mainenance trip!

We haven't actually checked if it floats. Maybe we should...

Great story, maybe the cache should be moved down there and the difficulty rating raised. would make it a unusual cache. Each cacher would have to figure out how to get it on their own, without climbing down.

"We never seek things for themselves - what we seek is the very seeking of things."

Blaise Pascal (1623-1662)

After laughing my self silly reading CacheCreatures post I set off to get a FTF on a reasonably close cache. The AutoRoute software I was using said that it should take me 90 minutes to get to the parking coordinates, but that I could get to within 0.5 miles of the cache and then bushwhack up the mountain-side. Since I had things to do at work today I chose the bushwhacking option.

The last "road" I was supposed to take to get within 0.5 miles was not much of a road; while trying to ford a small creek my SUV's front wheels wound up a little lower than my back wheels, placing the undercarriage of the vehicle squarely in contact with the ground. 4WD not working; tires spinning. Hmmmm... maybe I should have taken the 90 minute drive...

After calling my assistant to have her call a tow-truck (no winch on my SUV) I waited 30 minutes for help (a reasonable $55--much cheaper than a remote-controlled car) and arrived at work by 11am. (Bankers' hours be damned; I work geocacher hours!) At 12:40pm, after 100 minutes of strenuous work, I took a late lunch and drove off to find that dadgum cache! I arrived back at work at 3:20pm in time to work for another 100 minutes, and called it quits at 5pm. I love my job!

Oops!

FYI--the yellow sign seen in the photo points out that the "road" is closed to motorized vehicles.

I think I would have detached the sign from the post and thrown it down hoping to land it on top of the cache, followed by the hardware that attached the sign, and the post if I could work it loose and pull it up.

Then I would have stuck a new altoids tin & logbook in the post hole.

Then just logged TNLNSL.