Is this against the rules?

Here's a question that probably ought to be answered by Jeremy.

Kit and I were thinking about doing something with the caches we place: Including a laminated note that says "Do not remove" and lists one or more cool places to visit while you're in the area. For example, maybe a museum or a conservatory (especially when we know about little-known, neat things off the beaten path).

And then maybe the phone numbers, addresses and cost-range of each. We thought this would be especially cool for people from out of town. Would this violate the rule against advertising in caches?

And would it make a difference whether the place was a private business? Like, maybe a museum would be ok but... I don't know... an Imax theatre or something wouldn't?

We don't want to break any rules... let us know!

Thanks,

Shae

Posting information like that on the cache page does break the commercial part of creating a cache. Putting that information on the first page of you logbook does not. You can include information like that in the actual cache container. Put the coordinates for the location as well! icon_wink.gif As one that visits caches while traveling, that would be good information. I love Imax theaters! Just do not include that information on the cache page you submit for approval.

quote:
Originally posted by KITandSHAE:

Including a laminated note that says "Do not remove" and lists one or more cool places to visit while you're in the area. For example, maybe a museum or a conservatory (especially when we know about little-known, neat things off the beaten path).

I would much rather see this kind of information in a cache instead of all of those business cards that some cachers leave behind. I would really give a realtor my business just because he/she left a business card in a cache. That’s funny!

RM

I don't know that there is a lot of difference between a museum or an IMAX. I would say they would both be OK. If I am from out of town I would find that very useful. I would like to see mention of things that may not be very well known about by someone from outside the area. That would include museums, places to eat and anything else that might allow the visitor to really get a feel for the area as a local. To keep with the geocaching spirit you may just want to give the cooridnates and let the people find their way. Maybe part of checking and maintaing the cache would be stocking it with some of those local guidebooks of things to do in the area. I am guessing the cache would be in your local area and you are proud to point out some of the sights. And hey it might even be of interest to locals about finding things they never knew were there.

On business cards in caches. If I remember to bring mine I have left them in caches. I am a programmer for a medical university, so I don't do it as a way to drum up business. I just think it is interesting to know a little bit more about the people that have been there before me. I had no idea that some people found them to be a bother. I just kind of saw it as an addition to the words I leave in the log.

Sounds like the general consensus is that it is ok. Maybe I'll wait for word from Jeremy before doing it, though. Thanks for the idea about posting the coords along with the info - that's a great idea!

I cache when I'm out of town, too, so I thought it might be kind of cool. We once visited a restaurant mentioned in a log book, and it turned out to be great!

If you are telling someone what great museums and historic sites to check out, it's great. A bit of a greyer area would be to have a list of area restaurants and bars, but I still think that's OK.

If you own a restaurant, or business and use a cache to advertise it, the that is definitely out of bounds.

A government that is big enough to give you all you want is big enough to take it all away. -Barry Goldwater

I think it would be great to find a cache in an area you are visiting with a map or guide to the local area that shows the out of town vistor so other thing or places to visit. The locals probably wouldn't remove that stuff and after a "vistor" has removed it then you could add another copy (or two)

Say I go 100 miles from home and it is late and I am hungry, it would be nice to have info on local places.