Deleting "Not Found" Logs After Finding?

I happened to notice that some geocachers are deleting their "not found" logs once they find the cache on a later visit.

Why is this? To me this is worse than never logging a "Not Found" at all. It's almost as if they are embarrassed that they didn't find the cache and are erasing the evidence.

Somebody please help me with this logic. I don't get it.

--CoronaKid

I don't get it either... but I've seen it done.

I'd sure hate to lose any of my logs be them notes, finds, or no-finds. I wouldn't delete them on purpose!

I think the reasoning is not necessarily embarassment, but more along the lines of an "update," if you will. The folks that delete their no-finds aren't trying to hide them, but they are probably happy to have gotten that no-find off their list.

I know I like to go back and find the caches I couldn't find. I add a found-it log in addition to my no-find. Others seem to prefer to "fix" their no-find.

Jamie

I think this goes back to the purpose of not-founds: whether a not-found is meant to be a black mark on your caching record, or if it is meant to be a notification to the cache owner and other cachers that something may be wrong.

Personally, I don't delete my not-founds. icon_wink.gif

quote:
Originally posted by Mr. Snazz:

I think this goes back to the purpose of not-founds: whether a not-found is meant to be a black mark on your caching record

We don't delete ours. As far as a black mark against the record, who cares? No one is going to get every cache, every time. I love it when someone posts a not-found and says the cahe must be missing, only to have the very next person find it. icon_biggrin.gif

I have always left our DNF logs after we went back and found the cache.

Along those lines, the only thing that has made me really mad was that I had a DNF log, as well as DNF logs by a number of other cachers, deleted by the cache hider because they didn't want their cache to have any negative comments.

I have also had a found log deleted for no reason that I really can figure out, but it didn't upset me nearly as bad as having the DNF deleted.

I don't delete them. If I see them deleted on the caches I own, I'm disappointed. "Not founds" and "notes" are all a part of the history of the cache.

I once read a post from a geocacher who said he deleted all his "not founds" because he didn't like seeing the "frowny faces" on his cache list. Talk about pathetic reasoning!

A government that is big enough to give you all you want is big enough to take it all away. -Barry Goldwater

Nope, I don't do that. I'd leave them in...it's fun to read DNFs. Like Kodak's4 said in an earlier post/thread, they tend to be more informative than Found logs. I just finished a cache in which I have 3 or 4 DNFs. It doesnt' bother me. Some days I do better than others.

Today, I did a cache by Moun10Bike that should have been a slam dunk, but I didn't read the description carefully enough and had assumed I was looking for an ammo box and even decrypted the clue wrong so I really was off track. When I got home, I went over the sheets and realized my errors. oh, well. It was fun anyway since a snowstorm blew in and I had to quit before the snow covered the roads too much.

I wouldn't ever delete mine either. They're part of my geocaching history, whether I like or not. And as pointed out several times, they're part of the cache history and valuable information to cache owner.

quote:
Originally posted by BrianSnat:

I once read a post from a geocacher who said he deleted all his "not founds" because he didn't like seeing the "frowny faces" on his cache list. Talk about pathetic reasoning!

I've read about that kind of reasoning too. Wonder if the tendency of deleting DNFs would decrease if the face was different, or if you could choose it from a list...like instead of icon_frown.gif you could also use icon_redface.gif or icon_razz.gif or icon_confused.gif.... icon_biggrin.gif

- All you need is a sick mind and a healthy body. -

quote:
Originally posted by Team My Blue Heaven:

I have always left our DNF logs after we went back and found the cache.

Along those lines, the only thing that has made me really mad was that I had a DNF log, as well as DNF logs by a number of other cachers, deleted by the cache hider because they didn't want their cache to have any negative comments.

I've had the same thing happen to me. I was rather upset, as I too consider a DNF part of the cache history, as well as my personal geocaching history. I tend to write (what I hope are) interesting logs, not your typical "Took something, left something, thanks!" logs.

The DNF deletion happened very early in my caching career, and because of it, I now save all my logs to a text document. My caching partner prints hers out with the cache page and saves them in a binder, along with any photos we take. Sort of a geocaching scrapbook. This way, even if they ever get deleted again, we have our own personal history preserved.

Tae-Kwon-Leap is not a path to a door, but a road leading forever towards the horizon.

When I first started GC, I deleted a few no-finds when I was concerned about keeping a perfect find percentage. Now that I don't care about it any more, I leave my no-finds on.

quote:
Originally posted by CoronaKid:

I happened to notice that some geocachers are deleting their "not found" logs once they find the cache on a later visit.

Why is this? To me this is worse than never logging a "Not Found" at all. It's almost as if they are embarrassed that they didn't find the cache and are erasing the evidence.

Somebody please help me with this logic. I don't get it.

--CoronaKid