GPS & MAP Coordinates Question

Guest Growley

Guest Growley

I'm sure this has been covered before however, I have not found the thread. What is the method for taking the lat/lon from your GPS and transferring those coordinates to a good old paper topo map? I am finding that many of my topo maps only have the grid squares and not any markings to indicate lat/lon except at the corners and confluence spots.

Guest Moss Trooper

I don't know what grid system you are using but over here we use OS GB for our topographical maps. I just reset my GPS to the OS grid system and datum and read it that way. Transfers directly to the map.

Also means it converts all waypoint nigh on instintaniously, and I havent noticed any errors when reversing the procedure. but not going to be too worried bout a meter or so..

Moss

Moss

[This message has been edited by Moss Trooper (edited 29 August 2001).]

Guest sblack

opo map? I am finding that many of my topo maps only have the grid squares and not any markings to indicate lat/lon except at the corners and confluence spots.

Growley- Your best bet would probably be the UTM system. The UTM grid coordinates are printed along the sides of the 7.5min USGS Topo maps. Check out www.maptools.com for a good tutorial on how to use UTM.

Scott

Guest rmpgis

Be careful that the datum of the map matches your gps unit. Most quads show the NAD27 to NAD83 offset for the Lat/Long grid but what I just learned is that the UTM may shift by more than 200m. Read more about it here

http://mcmcweb.er.usgs.gov/drg/datum_shifts.pdf

good Luck...John

quote:
Originally posted by sblack:

Growley- Your best bet would probably be the UTM system. The UTM grid coordinates are printed along the sides of the 7.5min USGS Topo maps. Check out www.maptools.com for a good tutorial on how to use UTM.

Scott