This Forum is really irritating

Its been posted on other threads that both the site administrators and the support engineers from OpenTopic are working on this site to resolve a few problems. These outages appear when they are doing their work and testing.

Many of us have been using these forums since they opened a couple of years ago, and their up time has been excellent. Just bear with this 'work in process', it will get fixed. I'd much rather have it this way than to have them simply shut it down completely till they are finished. Lets cut them some slack... icon_smile.gif

Member:

banner-small.gif

Its been posted on other threads that both the site administrators and the support engineers from OpenTopic are working on this site to resolve a few problems. These outages appear when they are doing their work and testing.

Many of us have been using these forums since they opened a couple of years ago, and their up time has been excellent. Just bear with this 'work in process', it will get fixed. I'd much rather have it this way than to have them simply shut it down completely till they are finished. Lets cut them some slack... icon_smile.gif

Member:

banner-small.gif

quote:
Originally posted by Team CacheCows of Wisconsin:

Member:http://www.wi-geocaching.com

ok, cool..thanks for the heads up I appreciate you passing the info on...

thanks

quote:
Originally posted by Team CacheCows of Wisconsin:

Member:http://www.wi-geocaching.com

ok, cool..thanks for the heads up I appreciate you passing the info on...

thanks

quote:
Originally posted by Jake.Hazelip:

Sorry, TeamCacheCows, I can't forgive a company for selling what appears to be poorly designed code as a commercial product.

This forum is broken, and they sold it that way. If this were a car, you'd be checking out your local lemon laws...

Sorry Jake, I do not agree with you. This site has been fun for me. Do I expect perfection? NO! I don't walk on water and don't expect anyone else to. I have less problems here that other sites I visit.

The car analogy does not work here. A car you purchase. This site you have just chosen to support. There is a difference. icon_cool.gif

inceptor

the only difference between men and boys is the price of their toys

quote:

Sorry, TeamCacheCows, I can't forgive a company for selling what appears to be poorly designed code as a commercial product.

This forum is broken, and they sold it that way. If this were a car, you'd be checking out your local lemon laws...

Sorry Jake, I do not agree with you. This site has been fun for me. Do I expect perfection? NO! I don't walk on water and don't expect anyone else to. I have less problems here that other sites I visit.

The car analogy does not work here. A car you purchase. This site you have just chosen to support. There is a difference. icon_cool.gif

inceptor

the only difference between men and boys is the price of their toys

quote:

All non-trivial software is imperfect. You can stop using it, learn to program and do it better yourself or deal with the reality of it.

As for degrees of imperfection, there's a reason that forum software costs a few $100 dollars and nuclear power plant control software costs hundreds of THOUSANDS.....

Jake,

While I can agree that the old forums worked more smoothly, these forums work much better with the site as a whole. I like being able to jump back to the site from the forums. I like being able to click on a persons profile and looking at the caches they've hidden or found.

I think these forums are better.

Jamie

quote:

I have very little in the way of disagreements with the arguments against my car analogy...except to say you're wrong. icon_wink.gif

I would have to agree that the forum is operating very erratically, but I think it is a bit of a leap to bag on the company that developed the forum software without knowing more.

Most of the time, this sort of software is deployed as source (PHP scripts, etc.), and there is a huge burden on the folks deploying the individual installation. IE, it may very well be Groundspeak specific enhancements that are causing the problems - modifications for unexpected platform, tighter integration to rest of site, whatever.

To use your car analogy, if the new owner bangs on the windshield with a rock to create a pleasing pattern of spiderweb type lines, is it the manufacturer's fault when the wind finally blows a pile of safety glass pellets into the front seat?

Also, a car is a turnkey product. Forum software is an add on for someone elses already complicated products. The script engine, HTTP server, or database could all be at fault. There are lots of possible configurations for all three. Certainly, some of the problems I see look like database and content caching issues (server, not page, related).

Again, to use your car analogy, if you buy a kit car and the owner provided tires and engine don't match the spec and/or don't perform to spec, is it the kit's fault that the vehicle does not run to spec?

Keep in mind that this is the same company that provided the previous forum scripts. And, per Jeremy, there was also a database migration and server upgrade at the same time.

Complain all you want, but I'm sure Jeremy is doing the best he can, and I am sure that the vendors (generally small outfits as well) are trying to support him. Finger pointing, without facts, fixes nothing.

-jjf

quote:

I have very little in the way of disagreements with the arguments against my car analogy...except to say you're wrong. icon_wink.gif

I would have to agree that the forum is operating very erratically, but I think it is a bit of a leap to bag on the company that developed the forum software without knowing more.

Most of the time, this sort of software is deployed as source (PHP scripts, etc.), and there is a huge burden on the folks deploying the individual installation. IE, it may very well be Groundspeak specific enhancements that are causing the problems - modifications for unexpected platform, tighter integration to rest of site, whatever.

To use your car analogy, if the new owner bangs on the windshield with a rock to create a pleasing pattern of spiderweb type lines, is it the manufacturer's fault when the wind finally blows a pile of safety glass pellets into the front seat?

Also, a car is a turnkey product. Forum software is an add on for someone elses already complicated products. The script engine, HTTP server, or database could all be at fault. There are lots of possible configurations for all three. Certainly, some of the problems I see look like database and content caching issues (server, not page, related).

Again, to use your car analogy, if you buy a kit car and the owner provided tires and engine don't match the spec and/or don't perform to spec, is it the kit's fault that the vehicle does not run to spec?

Keep in mind that this is the same company that provided the previous forum scripts. And, per Jeremy, there was also a database migration and server upgrade at the same time.

Complain all you want, but I'm sure Jeremy is doing the best he can, and I am sure that the vendors (generally small outfits as well) are trying to support him. Finger pointing, without facts, fixes nothing.

-jjf

Finger pointing? Lighten up. I'm only pointing to the errors that are plaguing us. Check out the GC.com forum, one person alone got 45 white screens! That's not just buggy code, it's bad code.

For what it's worth, I've dinked around with some coding here and there. While I understand that there can be problems, I also understand that those problems are discovered during a closed testing period prior to public release... I'm a forum user and participant, I am NOT a beta tester.

Sorry, I haven't been able to follow up on this. We're on their beta server, so although we get access to many new features in their software, we occasionally have to deal with outages.

When I agreed to move to the new forums I didn't expect this number of outages, but I'm sure it is only a temporary issue. If it does continue, I'll look to move it off the beta machine.

Jeremy

Jeremy Irish

Groundspeak Lackey and Geopuppet

I checked out vbulletin from another company. It ROCKS. There is private messaging, popup messaging, chat, and lots of cool stuff and hacks. The whole thing costs like $200 bucks!

Featurewise, it is much richer and fuller featured then this one we are using now. Wierd thing is they are SO similar in appearance that it's not funny.

Jelsoft, makers of vBulletin

Rob

Mobile Cache Command

4525_1300.gif

quote:

Finger pointing? Lighten up. I'm only pointing to the errors that are plaguing us. Check out the GC.com forum, one person alone got 45 white screens! That's not just buggy code, it's bad code.

For what it's worth, I've dinked around with some coding here and there. While I understand that there can be problems, I also understand that those problems are discovered during a closed testing period prior to public release... I'm a forum user and participant, I am NOT a beta tester.

I think you missed the point entirely. You can't point at the "code", "bad" or otherwise, because you are dealing with a complex system. The forum scripts themselves are just one part.

I'm glad you get the concept of beta testing. Like it or not, you are a beta tester. Read Jeremy's post. He has elected to participate in a beta program, making this a beta site.

I can assure you, from far too many years of personal experience, that there is a big difference between 'dabbling', and bringing a commercial grade product to market. I've yet to meet a relatively inexperienced programmer who was not left stunned and dazed the first time he/she passed something on to a good QA department. Then they have to listen to my stock lectures on quality... icon_wink.gif

The first 90% is easy, the last 10% is hard, really hard. If it wasn't, there wouldn't be so many crappy programs out there.

-jjf

quote:

I think you missed the point entirely. You can't point at the "code", "bad" or otherwise, because you are dealing with a complex system. The forum scripts themselves are just one part.

I'm glad you get the concept of beta testing. Like it or not, you are a beta tester. Read Jeremy's post. He has elected to participate in a beta program, making this a beta site.

I can assure you, from far too many years of personal experience, that there is a big difference between 'dabbling', and bringing a commercial grade product to market. I've yet to meet a relatively inexperienced programmer who was not left stunned and dazed the first time he/she passed something on to a good QA department. Then they have to listen to my stock lectures on quality... icon_wink.gif

The first 90% is easy, the last 10% is hard, really hard. If it wasn't, there wouldn't be so many crappy programs out there.

-jjf

quote:
Originally posted by jfitzpat:

Exactly. That's why people who know say "The first 90% takes the first 90% of the time; the last 10% takes the other 90% of the time."