u are truly hooked on Geocaching when ....

Guest Artful Dodger

Guest Artful Dodger

10) You give your address to people in Latitude / Longitude.

9) Your local supermarket has to constantly replenish its Tupperware stock.

8) Your never-ending battle with the military as you try to be the first to place a cache in Area 51, New Mexico

7) You can recognize a topographical map of any area in the US at a glance.

6) You can dis-assemble and re-assemble a Garmin Etrex in under 30 seconds.

5) Your Palm Pilots auto-synchs to the Groudspeak Forums for instant downloading of forum messages - gotta keep current!

4) You can decrypt Cache_Ninja's cache descriptions in a flash - AND pick up any spelling errors (Sorry CN, couldn't resist! icon_biggrin.gif )

3) Garmin consults you before releasing any new upgrades.

2) You believe you ARE the REAL CREATOR of Geocaching...

and the Number 1, reason why you are hooked onto Geocaching...

1) You have a pin-up picture of Jeremy Irish on your bedroom wall.

(Hey! Its a Monday - feel free to continue this list!)

Guest cache_only

quote:
Originally posted by Artful Dodger:

...(Hey! Its a Monday - feel free to continue this list!)

14. When calling a place of business you've never visited, but intend to visit, you ask them for their grid coordinates instead of address or driving directions.

13. You run a zip code search every day at geocaching.com to see if there are any new caches in your area.

12. It's Monday, and you're already plotting which caches to visit the coming weekend.

11. You mark/capture the coordinates of all your favorite hangouts, just so you can know their coordinates (not like you'll ever use them or anything). rolleyes.gif

Great thread.

Thanks,

Rob

Guest cliffy

or........You are down at the local pub on a Friday night but go insane because you know there is a new cache in your area and foolishly set off to find it at 1am after 8 beers...(very unwise...don't try this folks..needless to say we didn't find it) lol

17956_200.jpg

but Peter is right...The chicks REALLY dig the smell of Deet and swamp water (Eau de Geocache) LOL

Guest CaptHawke

quote:

8) Your never-ending battle with the military as you try to be the first to place a cache in Area 51, New Mexico

FYI,

Area 51 is not in New Mexico, but Nevada, at Groom Lake: N 37.2680 W 115.799 NAD27

icon_wink.gif

Guest Artful Dodger

quote:
Originally posted by CaptHawke:

FYI,

Area 51 is not in New Mexico, but Nevada, at Groom Lake: N 37.2680 W 115.799 NAD27

icon_wink.gif

Yeah. My mistake - I realized that a minute ago! icon_frown.gif I was thinking of Roswell, New Mexico

[This message has been edited by Artful Dodger (edited 11 June 2001).]

Guest ClayJar

quote:
Originally posted by makaio:

Personally, I'd rather be the first to plant one in the Pentagon Courtyard icon_smile.gif

You could call it the "Miranda Cache", which, by the way, brings up my addition:

YKYBGTMW (You Know You've Been Geocaching Too Much When)...

• You've spent more than two continuous hours trying to think of a place to plant a cache so you can use a cool name, or

• You've neglected to plant a cache at your perfect spot because you haven't come up with a good name, yet.

Guest tecmage

One from Tracy,

You can't enjoy the scenery while out on a drive because you see everyplace as a potential spot to hide a cache.

Richard and Tracy

Guest Snowtrail

You look up zip codes of places you go on vacation because you've already found the ones close to home.

You can't pass up that tourist junk at the beach becuase you know it's small enough to fit into any cache.

You can identify who's been to the cache by the items inside.

You store cache items in your car "just in case."

You justify getting poison ivy to your significant other.

Guest Artful Dodger

The US Mint has to cope with the unusual demand for Dollar bills to accomodate your insatiable desire to put those %$@#! WheresGeorge bills in every cache you come across!!!

Guest Lazyboy

Perhaps it's going overboard when the wife....ummm, what's her name, and the kids...ummmm, two or three boys I think, start to complain that I'm not spending enough time with them. I mean, give me a break....

Guest BGSkierNC

Similar to Snowtrail, I am looking at convenience stores, dollar stores and flea markets with new interest because they are a source of geo-cache "treasure."

BG

Guest Miles678

At least once a week you tell your wife that you're going to stop and hunt a cache down on the way home from work only to come tripping in after dark.

Not to mention spending your lunch hour either hunting a cache, doing an initial drive-by of a cache you intend to look for when you have more time, running to the store to purchase things for a cache, or scoping out potential sites for a cache.

All of this because you can't wait for the weekend to go out. Not that it matters, the weekend is already booked with other caches that you intend to find or place then...

[This message has been edited by Miles678 (edited 11 June 2001).]

Guest Markwell

You go 673 miles to visit your in-laws for 3 days for a party being hosted at their home for 100+ people, and...your wife accompanies you on a 3 hour hunt on a Saturday morning and ENJOYS IT! yee-hah. Happened this weekend!

Guest Anton

You may be hooked on geocaching if...

the only thing that annoys you more than civilians picnicking within eyesight of a cache location, is spotting another geocacher...closer to it than you.

all your hometown maps are covered with notes about possible cache locations.

no one bothers asking if you brought your GPS.

your geocaching forum header shows the posts number in four-digits.

you sign your posts with an H/F ratio.

all your GPS receivers smell like DEET.

you mix your own DEET, and sell it to all the "extreme" cachers in town.

you build your own GPS receivers to custom specs.

and they're selling well, on display at the friendly, neighborhood military surplus store, right next to the ammo boxes.

you tried to quit geocaching cold turkey, and failed...again.

you joined a 12-step group for geocachers, and everyone there knew your name.

every morning you spend a few minutes choosing a GPS receiver, from one of the shelves in the GPS collection display case in the foyer, to take along for the day. If you're going geocaching, the ritual takes a bit longer.

your wife said, "It's me or the GPS!", and you ran out to pick up new batteries.

you have to carry a pen whenever you go to the local outdoor store, so you can sign autographs when customers wave at you with printouts of your clever geocache clues.

you get a 20% discount at the local outdoor store, even during sales, where you're treated like a minor Roman god by the staff for all the new geocaches you've hidden this month.

you heard Garmin licensed the Palm operating system, and now have 3-D topographic dreams about the possibilites.

when someone says "What's the point of owning a GPS? Don't you already know where you are?", you reply by dissing their mama.

when someone asks if they should buy a GPS, you reply by asking them if they think they should buy food.

you no longer talk to your friends about geocaching -- none of them will allow it.

when someone asks you which GPS they should buy, you offer to drive them to the store and use the drivetime to recruit them into the sport.

when someone casually asks which is the best GPS on the market, you reply by inviting them to stay for dinner and spend the night.

when you're at a party, and a really good-looking woman asks you to explain the finer points of geocaching, you know you're dreaming again.

you can change the batteries in your GPS with your eyes closed.

you can enter a new geocache waypoint into your GPS with your eyes closed.

when you close your eyes, you can see the waypoints of all the geocaches you've hidden...and read off the decimals.

your favorite geocaching t-shirt says:

"You can hide 'em, but not for long!"

your new geocaching t-shirt says:

"Find this, suckah!"

you practice geocaching in the backyard.

you do an early morning geocaching workout.

you only geocache alone.

you only geocache alone, in camo fatigues.

you only geocache alone, at night, in black pajamas, with a KA-BAR strapped to your leg, and burnt cork on your face.

when someone at a party glibly comments, "Isn't geocaching pretty much like shooting fish in a barrel?", you reply with one quick shot to the head, and stuff THEM in a barrel.

Anton, 8H/9F

[This message has been edited by Anton (edited 11 June 2001).]

Guest Miles678

quote:
Originally posted by Markwell:

You go 673 miles to visit your in-laws for 3 days for a party being hosted at their home for 100+ people, and...your wife accompanies you on a 3 hour hunt on a Saturday morning and ENJOYS IT! yee-hah. Happened this weekend!

I can relate - Several weeks ago I flew over 2000 miles to visit my in-laws for a weekend visit. My wife, daughters, and I arrived on a Saturday morning and flew out early the following morning (yes, we are nuts!).

Even though we were only there a bit more than 24 hours, I still managed to find time to find three geocaches during our visit!!

Tell me I'm not hooked!!

Guest kbraband

You drive to Chicago to attend your niece's college graduation ceremony, and you're ecstatic when you find out there's not enough room in the gym, because then you can go geocaching for a stash 2 miles down the street. (True story!)

Guest bunkerdave

You can convert WGS-84 to UTM...in your head.

You can read encrypted hints as quickly as unencrypted.

Your dog is no longer excited to jump into the car with you.

You can't get anyone to go "for a drive" with you.

At work on Monday - or everyday - the first thing anyone asks is: "Find any good GeoCaches yesterday?"

Your driveway is spotted with spray painted silhouettes of ammo boxes.

Someone gives you a set of coordinates, and you tell them which state they're in.

Guest Markwell

You think that the searching capabilities on geocaching.com are too limiting, so you create your OWN database, complete with search engine.

Then you start adding enhancements like calculating the distance and bearing that caches are from major landmarks in your area, using great circle formulae.

Not satisfied with THAT, you create a page in your database that will calculate the distance and bearing from any lat/lon coordinates to a secondary lat/lon coordinate.

Guest cliffy

quote:
Originally posted by bunkerdave:

Your driveway is spotted with spray painted silhouettes of ammo boxes.

ROFL!!!!! I hear ya dave......My basement floor is ruined........hehehe

Guest cliffy

quote:
Originally posted by Anton:

your wife said, "It's me or the GPS!", and you ran out to pick up new batteries.

hehe! I go get myself "AA"......I get her "C" cells..... icon_wink.gif

Guest jeremy

quote:
Originally posted by cliffy:

hehe! I go get myself "AA"......I get her "C" cells..... icon_wink.gif

Obviously discussions over flashlight batteries are starting to sway off topic a bit. It's obviously not the size of the batteries but what you use them for that counts.

Top 10 signs that you are truly hooked on Geocaching when ....

...even double entendre involves your GPS unit.

Guest WaylandersMA

Someone asks where the copy machine on the floor is and instead of saying,

"Copyin' the Copies....."

you say,

"48 feet, bearing 270"

Guest Hawk-eye

quote:
Originally posted by irishcb:

You know your in trouble when you say geocaching and your dogs run to the front door.

... and even more trouble when your GPS runs for the door when it hears the subtle sounds of a topo map being folded!

Guest Silver

...or when your caching paraphernalia pile gets bigger than your computer paraphernalia pile.

(and you think both are necessary piles.)

Silver

Guest chrome

quote:

The US Mint has to cope with the unusual demand for Dollar bills to accomodate your insatiable desire to put those %$@#! WheresGeorge bills in every cache you come across!!!

Dangit, I thought that was my idea. But I was a wheresgeorge fan and user long before I ever heard of geocaching and if you think about it, it documents the interaction of caches. One could feasibly watch the progress of the bill wander across the country from cache to cache. So what's wrong with that?

Guest Artful Dodger

quote:
Originally posted by chrome:

Dangit, I thought that was my idea. But I was a wheresgeorge fan and user long before I ever heard of geocaching and if you think about it, it documents the interaction of caches. One could feasibly watch the progress of the bill wander across the country from cache to cache. So what's wrong with that?

Dude! I was trying to be humorous! icon_biggrin.gif

Guest Markwell

Originally posted by Anton:

quote:
you can change the batteries in your GPS with your eyes closed.

Along those lines...

You start timing yourself changing the batteries, like an Indy 500 pit crew.

Guest Paulwhy

Your kids yell "Wake up, Dad! It's Father's Day! What do you want to do today?" and all you can think of is "Let's go hide a geocache!"

I'm hooked, we did just that!

------------------

Guest Women) Group

You may be hooked on geocaching WHEN:

}}. . . you spend an hour or more staring teary eyed at a laptop screen, reading these bullets with your eyes watering from laughing at how personally true some of them really are.

}}. . . you waste yet more time, not to mention the tree it took to make the 13 pieces of paper, to print these and add them to your ever growing stack of "geocaching stuff" that has yet to find an adequate niche in your home.

}}. . . you buttonhole your extended family during quality time to share with them all of the witty reasons you have highlighted in yellow on the 13 pages you printed!

All true. It happened and we had a good laugh! Thanks to all the contributors.

Guest erik88L-R

I went off to the bank this afternoon to cash a check and my wife swears I said I'm going to check a cache. Freudian slip, or truly hooked?