Using Maps versus 'Going Blind'?

bryanzera

Last night was the first time my wife and I went 'caching. I had pulled only the coordinates from geocaching.com and not the maps, so when we went out, we really didn't have any idea where the coordinates were close to. My wife drove and I pointed in all sorts of random directions saying stuff like "We need to go 340 seconds that way", etc. We found and documented our first cache.

When I went back to log our cache at geocaching.com, I see that there was a map available the entire time. Does anyone else think that by following the map, you're kind of cheating? I think it would be more fun to just get in the car/on the bike and just go rather than use a map.

Thoughts?

I've been doing more and more map-less caching. A lot of times I know what general area I'm going to so I just load a PQ onto my GPSr and my Palm, then keep an eye on the tracking screen on the GPSr. If any nearby waypoints appear I'll check the info using either Cachemate or a Plucker file and decide whether to try 'em or not.

Yesterday I went mapless because I knew the area where the cache was hidden and could find it without a map.

However, if there was a particular cache I was wanting to nab and I didn't know the area.... Well, you get the picture.

I don't think either way is right or wrong, it's a matter of personal preference.

DadONine

Well the little maps are not really helpful in a lot of cases...they tell you in a general area basically...If you want to use some maps...use the topos....ExpertGPS is a great little program...I'm still on the trial version of it, but it has been great...

I'm surprised that you were able to say go "340 seconds" and she knew what you ment. I wouldn't know what the heck you were talking about. I've noticed most caches around here will give you parking directions as well which are very beneficial....

Brian

As long as you're going to think anyway, think big. -Donald Trump

If I'm going somewhere that I'm somehwat familiar, I just use coordinates.

I use the little street map on the cache page if i'm going somewhere i have never been.

I use a topo map and/or trail map if i'm heading on a long hike into a game land.

"The more I study nature, the more I am amazed at the Creator."

- Louis Pasteur

When I first started, I went blind. Put in the coords and follow the arrow. But I prefer using maps and planning my attack now. I'm a planner. I enjoy laying out my route and thinking aout the best plan of attack. I use Mapsource for the roads and driving, and I use satellite images of the actual coords to see what the area will be like once I get there. I enjoy the preparation. Given that -- I completely understand the 'thrill' of going in blind. I just prefer the preparation.

340 seconds? Sounds like you used the Coordiates display to find the cache coordiates. This works but the pointer page on your GPS is much simpler to use.

I use the rubber band map on my GPS for the most part to get close then the pointer to find the cache. For some of the remote caches that take you off road I might use Topo Software to plan a route to keep me on track.

quote:
Originally posted by bryanzera:

My wife drove and I pointed in all sorts of random directions saying stuff like "We need to go 340 seconds that way", etc.

You weren't just looking at your current coordinates and extrapolating from that, were you? That'd be pretty hardcore.

I like maps, and I don't like spending a lot of time finding parking, so I plan my hunts out pretty thoroughly. Especially in unfamiliar territory. The planning is half the fun for me. Well, maybe 1/5 the fun.

But yeah, one of the great things about the game is being able to play it how you want. Be warned, though, that many caches have instructions on the cache page and/or false coordinates. Consider that possibility before going out *completely* blind (some people still do, even knowing that).

Have fun!

Flat_MiGeo_B88.gif

Well the mountain was so beautiful that this guy built a mall and a pizza shack

Yeah he built an ugly city because he wanted the mountain to love him back -- Dar Williams

So far in my limited experience I have used maps. Primarily because I don't have a ton of free-time to cache so when I do, I want to maximise my time. The best way for me to do that has been to plot caches on a map so I can see them all and plan a good route. Once in the general area, I only use my GPSr.

------------------------------------------------------------

I am Lothar, King of the Hill people. I have many tales to tell....

24 hours in a day, 24 beers in a case. Coincidence? I think not. - Stephen Wright

------------------------------------------------------------

I just grab the coordinates. Though I do have all the pages in my pocket pc if I have troubles I can refer to them. But Rarely use them, I like to think of my caching expereince from the time I pull out of the driveway as being the start of it. not when I park my Jeep.

I bought a GPS. Now I get lost with style.

I use what I call a three tiered approach...

1) Coordinates only till I find..If not found icon_confused.gif)

2) Pull out the map and try from there, then>

3) Decrypt the clue...I've only done that once

I like the challenge of coordinates only icon_smile.gif

"There's so much comedy on television. Does that cause comedy in the streets?"

My wife and I cache 'blind' more often than not - we don't have any record of what the cache is, what type, or what clues. My Rino contains a notes page that let's us know what the name of it is, maybe that jogs a memory or two. If we hit a virtual or landmark, we write everything down. If we hit a multi, we decide if we have time for it.

The amusing thing is finding caches without the cache info or a GPS, we laughingly call that "Caching Blind and Naked".

OddTodd

Cadence

(OddTodd and CheleBell)

FRS2,12GMRS22(WPXD965)

I like maps. I like researching an area through several different map programs ranging from mapquest/terraserver to topozone and mapsend topo.

I like also getting the history of a location or region. Not hard core enough to get even 5 or more caches a week, so I spend some time learning about the places I'm going to (if they are more exotic than an urban micro).

Team Kender - "The Sun is coming up!" "No, the horizon is going down."

I prefer to write the coords down in my little spiral notebook and try to find the cache that way. If I fail the first attempt at getting to the cache I print off the TopoZone map since the TopoZone is fairly accurate but not "right on" becuase the map datum is different. If all else fails and I decide that I really suck I will bring the encrypted cache page with no logs. I rarely have to use the hints.

Don't Drink And Park: Accidents Cause People.

quote:
Originally posted by bryanzera:

When I went back to log our cache at geocaching.com, I see that there was a map available the entire time. Does anyone else think that by following the map, you're kind of cheating? I think it would be more fun to just get in the car/on the bike and just go rather than use a map.

Thoughts?

Well, anything supported by the website can hardly be 'cheating', can it? There are those not familiar with the sport who don't see what the big challenge is if you have the exact coordinates. Those of us who have been at this for a little while recognize it's not as simple as it seems.

That said, use or don't use whatever you want. Since ultimately the validity of your efforts rests solely in your own judgement, don't sweat whether or not anyone else thinks you are 'cheating'.

Ron/yumitori

---

Remember what the dormouse said...