Map programs to find coordinates?

Guest mtnsteve

Guest mtnsteve

I have Maptech and Topo USA 3 (along with a Magellan GPS) and was wondering about using the map program coordinates to locate and/or set up caches.

From doing my own comparisons, it seems that the Maptech program usually comes within a few feet of what my GPS shows...the Topo USA program (which is what I used to initialize my GPS with) is sometimes off by up to a 1/4 mile or more.

Any thoughts, suggestions or advice would be greatly appreciated.

Guest Hawk-eye

Can't help you with the TOPO ... but I've used Maptech for a couple years now and am very pleased with it. Make sure you're using the correct datum ... you might check that issue on the TOPO Maps ... that can throw you off quite a bit.

I use Maptech for detail mapping of the area I'm going to search or for backpacking trips. I usually use Garmin's Mapsource topo for managing my waypoints and planning cache searches ... it's a much simpler program and not near the accuracy in detail as the USGS Maps used on Maptech, but for overall views or to cover areas I don't have Maptech maps for ... it does just fine.

Well that info probably doesn't help much ... but it's free! icon_biggrin.gif

[This message has been edited by Hawk-eye (edited 05 July 2001).]

Guest Hawk-eye

Can't help you with the TOPO ... but I've used Maptech for a couple years now and am very pleased with it. Make sure you're using the correct datum ... you might check that issue on the TOPO Maps ... that can throw you off quite a bit.

I use Maptech for detail mapping of the area I'm going to search or for backpacking trips. I usually use Garmin's Mapsource topo for managing my waypoints and planning cache searches ... it's a much simpler program and not near the accuracy in detail as the USGS Maps used on Maptech, but for overall views or to cover areas I don't have Maptech maps for ... it does just fine.

Well that info probably doesn't help much ... but it's free! icon_biggrin.gif

[This message has been edited by Hawk-eye (edited 05 July 2001).]

Guest Cybeq

s that are out there. The best program I've used so far is TOPO!

------------------

"There's no need to be afraid of strange noises in the night. Anything that intends you harm will stalk you silently."

Guest mtnsteve

Hawk-eye was right.....I found that the datum was different on the two programs (duh), when I use the same datum the differences are negligible.

I work with SAR and have used the USGS topos for years, because of that I tend to prefer the Maptech program, just because I am used to the maps. The Topo USA does tend to have a LOT of missing data, including lakes and trails.....the 3D and shaded 2D modes are cool though. The scale on Topo USA can vary depending on what magnification and zoom level you are using, you can go down as far as 100' per inch or so....I think. I have heard good things about TOPO, may have to buy another map program.......

I am going to experiment this weekend with setting up and finding caches (practice with the SAR team) using only map printouts, using both the Maptech and Topo USA programs....I'll let you know how it works out.

Thanks for your help

Guest landnav1

I am currently using a Garmin GPS 12 and a mapping program called,"Oziexplorer". After downloading free topographical maps and calibrating them with the Oziexplorer program I am able to locate the cache within 10 feet in most cases and plot a route directly to it.I truly am amazed at how accurate this business is. Also, A good link for free topo maps for calibrating is "www.gisdata.com" and for the mapping software, "www.oziexplorer".

[This message has been edited by landnav1 (edited 15 July 2001).]