GPX to VCF converter

Before I go and reinvent the wheel, has anyone out there written a gpx 2 vcf converter? Barring that, does anyone out there have a gpx parser they are willing to share their source to? Any language will do, except maybe haskell. icon_rolleyes.gif

She doesn't know it yet, but I'm fixin' to turn the wife's iPod into the world's coolest geocaching cache library. Anyone want to guess how many cache pages I can fit into 5 gB? And how long that will take to transfer via Firewire? icon_razz.gif

... Two roads diverged in a wood, and I--

I took the one less traveled by, ...

unclerojelio

Depending on what you want to do, GPSBabel will be either perfect or a forced fit. There has been one other person that asked about vcf but he never pursued it.

If you're wanting a glorified place to hold waypoints, along with some geocaching "value add" such as cache type, difficulty, and terrain, GPSBabel is probably a good starting place.

If you're wanting a full fledged, hint-decoding, show the nearby caches, display the background jpgs, sort the caches for display in a googlefroopillion ways, display the logs kind of program, GPSBabel would be a forced fit. It really is a converter, not a geocaching application. Honestly, for that kind of a project, the GPX parser that is used in GPSBabel (open-coded C from libexpat) wouldn't be worth liberating and I'd start with Perl's XML::Twig or a similar tool. I consider gpx.c in the GPSBabel source to be probably the nastiest module in the tree.

Follow-up to gpsbabel-{code,misc} at lists.sourceforge.net, please. The maintainers would like to hear from you...