Danger of caching

I was discussing our newly found hobby of geocaching with a good friend. Although he found it interesting and fun, he brought up the point. "what would keep someone from using this medium to hide in wait until a geocacher came by to take advantage of them?"

His question got me thinking. So far our hunting party has consisted of our family and 2 dogs. I am very concerned about their safety and since most caches are off the "beaten path", that aspect adds to his point.

I have read of taking pepper spray. Guns, but I dont have a CWL license. And I also read where someone was in their car at a park at night and a cop came up wondering what he was up to outside of his car only to find out that he never left his car and the cop saw someone sneaking around his vehicle.

I have reached the conclusion that I do need to add some safety measures to our Geohunting bag (pepper spray). I wouldnt consider taking the kids and wife to a cache at night (although some are labeled for that).

I am interested in what others have considered in terms of safety in this sport and what measures they have taken. I am especially interested in any incidents that folks have come across with suspicious looking folks or outright incidents that they might have been in. I am probably asking the wrong group since some situations would most likely cause some to quit the sport outright, but I hope this thread will yield some good ideas and different perspectives.

I tried searching for the answer to this and although it has come up in some threads, I have yet to see this as the main thread. If someone has knowledge of a thread like this, please share.

Regards,

Holy_Rollers

Always, always, always, the best answer to avoiding any problem while Caching is to make right personal decisions. If it looks unsafe, or beyond your abilities, or like a shady area, turn and walk away. You don't have to do every cache! That said, there are times and places where you may run into unexpected problems. But, guess what? This occurs while you are geocaching or not. Would you normally go there? If not why not? Risk assesment vs adventure quotion. There is your descision.

Carry a big stick. A load whistle. A cell phone. Be smarter than the situation. If you do get into a fix, never give up. Fight tooth and nail if you can't out run it. If it is in the mountains, settle in and wait till the conditions improve.

4497_300.jpg

"See the wonderous works of Providence! The uncertainty of human things!" Geo.Washington

I always check out the area surroundings before "going in". I think most people hide caches in what would be considered a safe area instead of being in a high crime area.

"Sometimes you gotta look like an *** to get that cache!"...huntforit

Being paranoid by nature, the thought certainly has crossed my mind. But like someone pointed out, it would mean long wait for someone. I've seen caches placed where it looks like the author lives nearby but that is usually a benign thing.

And like someone said at first it would pose more of a problem because more people would be hunting it.

I DID think of a benign sort of spinoff game where someone tries to get a picture of another geocacher. Kinda creepy, though, but if the right kind of people did it, it could be a laugh.

I'm holding my breath for something far more dangerous to happen - the thing I don't even want to talk about (so why am I doing it, right?) - a bomb or booby trap. icon_frown.gif

I hate caching alone and as it happens bringing a buddy along is the best practice for avoiding sitautions you don't want to be in.

Night caches, I swear only people from deliverance and geocachers are in the middle of nowhere at night. Someone who you wouldn't give a second glace at during the day will make the hair on your neck stand on end.

But as EraSeek said. Just avoid the things that make you uncomfortable. Your 6th sence about these things does work if you learn to trust it.

After two years and 100 caches I have yet to be ambushed or attacked. If someone was to stake out a cache they would have along wait. As there is no garuntee that someone will go looking for it that day. Keep in mind that Geocaching does not have set days or times like golf tee-times. You are more at risk of getting poison ivy than have an encounter of the type you are talking about.

While there are some people who may have had some encounters while geocaching its a very small percentage. You may do better posting the question as a poll, i.e. have you had any dngerous encounters with humans while Geocaching.

I cache at night, mostly alone and I agree with the advice given thus far. Never let your sense of aventure get the better of your sense of danger.

As for personal safety, If you act somewhat weirder than the in-bred hillbillies on PCP that sometimes lurk in the woods, they will be more afraid of you than you are of them.

All of that 'don't act like a victim stuff' could also apply. Not many self-assured looking people seem to get attacked. Even a slight change in manner and posture could be enough to do the trick.

The only thing I've ever thought about with the night-caching stuff is getting swarmed by dis-gruntled teens. I read about it in the paper from time to time. These are the cowardly little gang-bangers where, if there were only two of them and they tried to lift your wallet, they'd be deposited head-first into the nearest trash bin. When they get together in numbers larger than that, they can be pretty dangerous.

So far it hasn't happened. I'll be in the forums if it ever does though to report on my 'take the big-mouthed leader out and the plebes will scatter' theory (hopefully not reporting from my hospital bed. A skateboard in the face can be a painful thing).

I have never encountered any problems or issues, but I do like having someone else with me. My imagination is WAY too active, and has scared me more times than any book, movie or story ever has. I tend to think of weird, creepy things that could happen when I'm in an area. It always starts out innocent, like the time I went to a cache that had been out a while. It wasn't really far off a major roadway, but was secluded enough that I could be missing for days before I was found. I had to hike into an area with large trees and bushes. There is a lot of wildlife in the area, so when I saw some old bones near the cache, I wasn't concerned at first. They looked like they were from a deer, but since they weren't all there, it was just some long leg bones, a few ribs and some pelvic looking pieces. Then, there goes my imagination. Maybe this was the last person to look for the cache.... Then the bones looked more and more human to me, then I heard a noise behind me. Turns out it was a rabbit making the noise, and I saw the deer skull in the bushes. I DO recommend having someone with you when you go. You never know when something can happen, from turning an ankle and not being able to walk, to encountering someone on the trail. There is confidence in having something to use in case of protection, but having another person with you may be the best protection in the end.

"I'm 35 Years old, I am divorced, and I live in van down by the river!" - Matt Foley

quote:
Originally posted by Zartimus:

I cache at night, mostly alone and I agree with the advice given thus far. Never let your sense of adventure get the better of your sense of danger.

As for personal safety, If you act somewhat weirder than the in-bred hillbillies on PCP that sometimes lurk in the woods, they will be more afraid of you than you are of them.

All of that 'don't act like a victim stuff' could also apply. Not many self-assured looking people seem to get attacked. Even a slight change in manner and posture could be enough to do the trick.

Z-man, Me and you think alike.

Also, this subject has come up before in several threads on this forum. It hasn't quite been done to death, but it comes and goes. This is actually one of the better threads on it.

The best advice here is don't walk around looking like a victim. Criminals are predators and predators are opportunists.

Snicon_razz.gificon_razz.gifgans

texasgeocaching_sm.gif Sacred cows make the best hamburger....Mark Twain.

quote:
Originally posted by Snoogans:

Also, this subject has come up before in several threads on http://ubbx.Groundspeak.com/6/ubb.x?a=frm&s=5726007311&f=6216058331 It hasn't quite been done to death, but it comes and goes. This is actually one of the better threads on it.

But nonetheless, it's important to bring it up from time to time as we always have new geocachers coming on board for the first time and a gentle reminder on this issue is important.

Good thread.

5307_1000.gif

Webfoot

Veni...Vidi...Vicachi.

I came...I saw...I geocached.

My son wants to invite his friend that lives next door caching. I've told him it would be ok as long as his parents knew, but I also told my son not to expect for him to be able to go. He didn't understan why. I had to explain to him about how paranoid parents are about things like that. Besides not knowing what caching is, I tried to tell him that his parents jsut wouldn't like the idea of someone taking their kid to the wilderness and not know where you are going or what to expect. Especially in todays world and in the area we live in (child molesting priests).

Brian

As long as you're going to think anyway, think big. -Donald Trump

quote:
Originally posted by Woodsters Outdoors:

Besides not knowing what caching is, I tried to tell him that his parents jsut wouldn't like the idea of someone taking their kid to the wilderness and not know where you are going or what to expect. Especially in todays world and in the area we live in (child molesting priests).

People usually allow their kids to participate in activities with their friends when they are confident that the parent-in-charge is a trustworthy, responsible person. I must say I have never heard of a child molesting priest geocacher.

Strange that this thread shows up the day after I log this:

http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_details.asp?ID=79029

Scary, scary encounter in the shady part of town at night with what appears to have been the local teenage stoners... Stoners is right! *shudder*

After almost getting clocked in the head with a large rock, I won't be caching in the dark around there *ever* again... Which is a shame because we love night caching.

A great serial killer once said, "Beauty is only skin deep. Trust me, I've looked..."

quote:
Originally posted by BassoonPilot:

People usually allow their kids to participate in activities with their friends when they are confident that the parent-in-charge is a trustworthy, responsible person.

No that's not entirely true. I would not let my son go caching with anyone else but myself and our relatives, well at least some of them.

quote:

I must say I have never heard of a child molesting priest geocacher.

The statement about the priest was in reference to what has been going on. Someone that people normally highly trust, don't anymore. It's safer for them to say no, than to trust anyone or anything, especially in an activity they never heard of, or if they are concerned about the wilderness.

Brian

quote:
Originally posted by BassoonPilot:

People usually allow their kids to participate in activities with their friends when they are confident that the parent-in-charge is a trustworthy, responsible person.

quote:
Originally posted by Woodsters Outdoors: No that's not entirely true. I would not let my son go caching with anyone else but myself and our relatives

Why? I don't question that you must parent as you see best, and I agree that it is best to err on the conservative side, but I do question why you apparently have so little faith/trust/confidence in others.

If the parents of your child's friend discussed the plans with you, answered satisfactorily any questions you had, and agreed to any limitations you placed on your child's participation, what would your reservation be?

My daughter (now a teen) has brought a friend (or friends) along hiking, swimming, caching, flying, on day trips to the shore or amusement parks ... even on week long trips since she was 10. And likewise, she is permitted to accompany her friends whose parents have gained/earned our trust and confidence.

You are talking about two seperate types of instances. We live on 2 acres. It's not like we are right next door. We've only been here since January and for the most part people stayed holed up in their homes unitl march or april when the snow decided to start to leave us. Our son has been allowed to go and play tennis with them. We knew exactly where they are going and when they were coming back. Geocaching, my style at least, is a little different. Very rarily do I know exactly where I will go and when I will get back. I wouldn't let my son go somewhere like that on those conditions. Especially up here. I would be concerned, especially not really knowing the other parents that well. It's not like people we've known for years. On the brighter side he said that he might be able to go, but that his parents were talking it over. Good if he can, oh well if he can't as I would understand.

Brian

quote:
Originally posted by SLCDave:

I have never encountered any problems or issues, but I do like having someone else with me. My imagination is WAY too active, and has scared me more times than any book, movie or story ever has. I tend to think of weird, creepy things that could happen when I'm in an area. It always starts out innocent, like the time I went to a cache that had been out a while. It wasn't really far off a major roadway, but was secluded enough that I could be missing for days before I was found. I had to hike into an area with large trees and bushes. There is a lot of wildlife in the area, so when I saw some old bones near the cache, I wasn't concerned at first. They looked like they were from a deer, but since they weren't all there, it was just some long leg bones, a few ribs and some pelvic looking pieces. Then, there goes my imagination. Maybe this was the last person to look for the cache.... Then the bones looked more and more human to me, then I heard a noise behind me. Turns out it was a rabbit making the noise, and I saw the deer skull in the bushes. I DO recommend having someone with you when you go. You never know when something can happen, from turning an ankle and not being able to walk, to encountering someone on the trail. There is confidence in having something to use in case of protection, but having another person with you may be the best protection in the end.

"I'm 35 Years old, I am divorced, and I live in van down by the river!" - Matt Foley

You are right about having someone with you for accidents, but as far as other threats go, I feel safer by myself. When I am by myself, I have my wits about me and am listening (both to the external world and my intuition....and the voices in my head icon_biggrin.gif ) . I can strike, run, strike and run, do whatever instantly without feeling a need to coordinate with someone else (who is inevitably more of the la-te-dah zoned out all the time to all threats type of person compared to me).

As for the bones, it would be a pretty good idea to have a skeleton (I guess it would have to be fake) laid out that looked like it was the last cacher dying just as they reached the cache. LOL! But since I thought of it, it means someone else already has. icon_mad.gif

quote:
Originally posted by Holy_Rollers:

I was discussing our newly found hobby of geocaching with a good friend. Although he found it interesting and fun, he brought up the point. "what would keep someone from using this medium to hide in wait until a geocacher came by to take advantage of them?"

Oh come on! Like somebody is going to go to the trouble to pick out a cache location from this website, find it, and then figure out where to hide (for who knows how many days/weeks) until the next cacher comes along? Or create the cache location from scratch?

Now some people have reported in logs that that they have seen suspicious or unsavory looking people in the area they were hunting in. But some of that might be the result of those people being in areas they normally wouldn't be in otherwise, and not used to seeing people like that - who may not scare you or me.

That Quack Cacher:

Lone Duck

When you don't know where you're going, every road will take you there.

quote:
Originally posted by Lone Duck:

Oh come on! Like somebody is going to go to the trouble to pick out a cache location from this website, find it, and then figure out where to hide (for who knows how many days/weeks) until the next cacher comes along? Or create the cache location from scratch?

Apparently this isn't a strangely new concern...

When Puppy explained caching to his parents before we were off for another adventure, they asked, "Well, what happens when one of these 'caches' turns out to be a trap?? What if there's some guy waiting out there to slit your throat? Or trip lines with booby traps?"

I understand that his parents are a little paranoid about everything... but... I'm fairly sure that's going a little too far.

A great serial killer once said, "Beauty is only skin deep. Trust me, I've looked..."

quote:
Originally posted by Lone Duck:

...Oh come on! Like somebody is going to go to the trouble to pick out a cache location from this website, find it, and then figure out where to hide (for who knows how many days/weeks) until the next cacher comes along? Or create the cache location from scratch?...

The cool thing about about this method is they mark the cache location very well.

For the most part I have always thought that if you keep your wits about you and eyes open you should be alright.Having camped all over the Northwest and being cautious and careful. It has served me till now. A lot of people I know carry guns and I use to, and those that I talk to tell me I should carry one.

I have been rather reluctant to share this experience in this form for reason of taste, but the more I read, I have come to the conclusion it might be educational.

Short story: I had taken a week off from work to help our daughter at the county fair with the grandsons showing of sheep, pigs and cows.

The week passed fast and it was my last free day. Usually I would call my grandson (Cowboy) and we would be off cacheing. But this day I broke one of the rules and went off by my self. Headed toward the Oregon coast with several caches planed to find.

The first thing to happend I came to within walking range of my first cache, I pulled over in a large parking spot, about the same time a car coming from the other direction sped around in front of me and backed up the logging road I was about to walk down. I paused figuring he was another cacher or had some urgent business. After a few moments I gathered up by stuff and set off up the road not far up the road was this guy standing behind his car taking a hand full of pills I stopped and asked if he was ok well anyway he had this story about he and his wife and on and on. I figured he was ok and off I went. Looked for the days first cache but kept thinking about this guy who was upset and all, so not finding the cache I headed back to my rig. He was still setting there in his car and wanted to talk some more I finally got away.

I got in my truck turned around and headed off to my next cache which was at a roadside park. The instructions were simple "go behind the picnic area and follow the trail down to the creek look for four elm trees growing at the edge of the creek". As I approched these trees I saw someone behind them, he looked as though he was looking at something, I thought another cacher found the cache lets go see. Well these trees were big and I looked between them as I was going down the trail to see what he was looking at. He had spread out there on the ground before him at least three magazines of naked women by this time I had come around the end of the trees and there he was facing away from me with his pants down to his ankels and he was on his knees enough already.

Just a simple walk in the woods ! My daughter now tells me to carry my 38 the golf club I always have handy, she says isn't enough.

icon_cool.gif One hides a thing too close for the person seeking it to find. icon_confused.gif

quote:
Originally posted by Pathfinder & Cowboy:

My daughter now tells me to carry my 38 the golf club I always have handy, she says isn't enough.

So where was the threat of danger to your personal safety? Yup, you encountered a couple of weirdos. From what you wrote, apparently neither showed any interest or concern in you or your presence.

Lots of good comments below. I have only once in my hunts of which are maybe 20 at this point felt threatened so I simply left to come another day with others. In this case I was probably right on the cache but with one push of the tree limb there was this make shift shelter with no one home or so I thought. Just then this trogladite comes from beyond hollering to leave his stuff alone. So to avoid any problems I left intending to return with others. Did see that a few days later someone did log a find so the cache seems to be safe still. As for CWL I am a supporter but the adventure of caching is supposed to be fun and packing seems to be going to far.

I've been kinda hoping for something like that to happen TO ME! I carry a stick, a VERY sharp knife, and a grudge against thugs. One of these days I'm going to catch one in a situation where I can LEGALLY vent my past frustrations on some poor idiot criminal who thinks he has the upper hand. If he's lucky I'll just shoot him. Otherwise he will truly be an example for other criminals of what NOT to do. BTW... if anyone reading this has criminal intentions, my advice is to get some job training and get a real job. There's plenty more people like me out there just waiting for an excuse to end your criminal career - one way or another.

Can you tell I've been a crime victim? LOL!

Jim

Can I get an Amen!?

quote:
Originally posted by paintfiction:

I've been kinda hoping for something like that to happen TO ME! I carry a stick, a VERY sharp knife, and a grudge against thugs. One of these days I'm going to catch one in a situation where I can LEGALLY vent my past frustrations on some poor idiot criminal who thinks he has the upper hand. If he's lucky I'll just shoot him. Otherwise he will truly be an example for other criminals of what NOT to do. BTW... if anyone reading this has criminal intentions, my advice is to get some job training and get a real job. There's plenty more people like me out there just waiting for an excuse to end your criminal career - one way or another.

Jim

Can I get an Amen!?

Not from me........ icon_wink.gif

http://fp1.centurytel.net/Criminal_Page/

quote:
Originally posted by paintfiction:

Jim

Can I get an Amen!?

The problem with voicing such a desire is that it indicates premeditation. Maybe you'd better stick with "I exercise reasonable precautions, based on my past experiences."

--------------------

You have the right to defend yourself, even when geocaching!

Very good topic and the thread should be posted elsewhere and maybe in the FAQ page. From what I have experienced in the wilderness I am my worst enemy. How many times have you decided to cross that little creek on the fallen log? I was camping once and one of the guys I was with decided it would be fun to go slug hunting. Long story short he stepped on a slug that would make a pug dug look skinny. He slipped and fell fracturing his forearm.

As for self protection, if you have a CWL, it is none of my business if you have one or not. I would think that most people do not really care, as long as the person carrying is acting responsibly.

One thought, a good first aid kit is a must. I have found that a soap that can be purchased at a pharmacy called TECHNU is really great at preventing, or at the very least, helping to control the spread of poison oak/ivy. I also think it is bio-degradable. I say the word and I start itching. Not fun stuff.

OK, thanks a lot! Can you say paranoid? I wasn't afraid of caching alone, I had gotten over that fear of birds and squirrels making noise when I was alone in the woods. I'm pretty careful about where I go hiking, and having worked in bars for years I think I can handle most of the strange people. But now I'm really scared of meeting up with a slug that makes a pug dog look skinny. I can't stand slugs. I'll have to start carrying salt as a means of warding them off. (Planet adds salt to her weapons cache)

Cache you later,

Planet

So many caches, so little time.

I'm in the be-aware-of-your-surroundings camp. Not at any time in my life have I been in a situation where I felt like I was in serious danger. I just came back from a trip to Central America. While I was in Nicaragua, I walked about 10km through a very poor rural area on the outskirts of a medium-sized town. It's one of the few times in my life I felt a bit uncomfortable with my surroundings. Normally, I might have considered turning back, but I was on my way to find a confluence. As it turned out, I met a number of people who were very friendly and curious about me. I learned a lot from the experience.

I'm reminded of a man I met several months ago. I was planning a rather long bicycle trip, and he asked if I carried a gun or mace. I replied that I didn't see the need. He showed me a handle-bar mounted can of mace that he kept on his bike to protect him from dogs mainly, but people too if necessary. I thought for a moment about all the cycling I've done. I've never been in a situation where I felt that mace would have helped me. I've had a few dogs bark and chase me, but never have I had a dog bite, or even attempt to bite me.

So... I asked him, much like you might ask if a police officer has ever had to use his gun, if he'd ever needed the mace. His response? "Twice today already."

My point is that for the most part, I think guns, mace, knives, cellphones, and other so-called safety devices are utilized unecessarily a vast majority of the time. I think it's better to be self-aware and you'll avoid most dangerous situations in the first place.

Jamie

What is to prevent a "badguy/gal" from hiding in the parking lot of the mall or playground? If you are going to be attacked it dosen't matter where you are. I have a LTC and do on occasion carry a firearm while caching. Mostly because it is illegal to leave a firearm unattended in a M/V. I do prefer Pepperspray because it will work on animals as well as most people.

When I read about the evils of drinking, I gave up reading.

Henny Youngman (1906 - 1998)icon_cool.gif

OK, on the serious note, if one decides to carry it is their business, not mine. And by carrying, I mean any means of self-protection, whether it is with a mechanical devise or a chemical one. My point being, that if one decides to carry something, that they understand and know how and when to use it, regardless of what it is. I will refer back to one of the other posters; do not let yourself become a victim.

I am going to drop the subject from my limited knowledge of geocaching and step off of my soapbox, because it is none of my business of who is or who is not carrying a weapon. If I was a criminal and did not know who was or who was not carrying, I would not attempt to do whatever that I was thinking of. The mere thought of a potential victim being armed would deter me, however, I have a brain, enjoy thinking and above all else love life

My random thoughts on this subject.... I've never really thought about someone hiding out near a cache for bad reasons.

We went hiking/camping a while back in Big Bend Nat'l Park. Hardly saw anyone over 3 days. Pretty remote, no cell phone service. I was more paranoid about "a bear could come kill me and drag me off and noone would ever find me" than I've ever been when geocaching.

With that said, the few times I've felt uncomfortable geocaching have been when either: 1) there is obvious homeless activity nearby, or 2) the location I'm hunting in could easily be seen as suspicious (for a totally different reason than #1).

Sometimes I bring my dog hiking/geocaching with me, but true to typical Labrador behavior, his best defense to someone meaning harm would be to lick them to death.

Ummmm...just to put in my two cents....

As we're talking about things around geocaches that are dangerous to us, this one was thought to be dangerous to other people.

For a little briefing on the cache: it is located right next to the Pacific and Downtown San Diego, and a Marine Base, and an airport. and its an ammo box. Personally, I'm glad that our harmless little TB didn't get stuck in it.

Also, this 'n was about 15 ft. away from a homelss person's...current residence. Come to think of it, we really shouldn't have gone fo it. I'm pretty glad that we found it without incident.

Just wanted to show the world what I thought. I feel pretty proud right now.

-clan

In my few caches's I have found a shelter made by a homeless person and have come accorss a "big scary dude" walking the same path as we were. I also did a cache where the start of the trail head was a meeting of Bikers. We have never had problems with any cache and all we have talked to have been friendly, just a note to not judge a book by its cover. And yes I do carry some protectiom as I was a boy scout lol.

Scored one back for the geocachers. Well kind of. Late evening, and I was heading off to look for a newish local cache. Ahead of me, parked, was a pickup with two guys in it. I could tell because of the light from the lighter flame that was staying on a long time. Figured they were probably smoking pot. As I got closer the passenger made the bad choice of opening his door, turning on the cab light. He closed it again straight away but that was all it took for me to see the lighter was being used to heat a spoon.

Not in my neighborhood I thought, and as soon as I was out of sight I phoned the sheriff's dispatcher on my cell. Carried on, found the cache, walked back later. The two guys are now in the back of a sheriff's car. Not sure what the sheriffs found, but walking past the pickup the large numbers of empty beer bottles in the cab was immediately obvious. Not a good place to keep your beer that.

So they weren't threatening me, or disturbing a cache, but screw 'em. One less pair in the area suits me fine.

Latex no. Personal protection yes.

As a Newbie, thank you for taking the incitiative and letting the local law enforcement know about what you saw. You have made two people aware that smoking 'WHATEVER" in a public place is not good. Citizens like you deserve to be publicized and awarded. If geocachers would state why they are calling and what they are seeing, imagine the publicity that they would receive and the good publicity that would result. See a thread regarding illegal caches for the reasons on this.

Thank you for being a responsible and respectable citizen of your community.

I feel safer in the woods than in my own shopping mall. Some guy wants to hunt me down, go ahead, chances are I know the area better from all my geocaching than he does, including which way to run to get out.

"The more I study nature, the more I am amazed at the Creator."

- Louis Pasteur

I recently started carrying pepper spray again when caching. I've had pepper spray since I got my driver's license (one of those conditions mom and dad put on having a car), and have NEVER had to use it, however, it's a good thing to have, especially when in the woods.

I've never had a scary experience when caching, however, I understand people's safety concerns. For me, I use the same precautions I use whenever I'm alone, be it at home or on the street or trail.

You can get pepper spray at your local hardware store and chances are you'll never touch it. One bit of advice: never, ever, ever let your dog near it. Our beagle grabbed my keys once (mine was on my keys, it was a small canister) and punctured the canister -- I didn't notice until taking it away from him and got a faceful. NOT FUN. Actually very scary.

I also take another safety precaution: before doing a cache in an area I'm unfamiliar with (or even familiar with), I read the logs. This helps me decide whether or not I will do it alone, or with a friend. I usually only do very easy caches by myself because if I get hurt or sick, I'm pretty much up the creek without a paddle.

Also, if possible. Bring a dog. My dog is little and goofy, but believe me, I trust her instincts better than my own. She has only growled on the trail at a person once, and Squealy and I both agree that she was right on -- he was definitely not there for good reasons.

So, pepper spray, a friend, a dog... that's what I bring. Cell phones don't usually work in the woods up here, but they're definitely a good idea.

Why do I read the forums? icon_mad.gif

I just read in a hunting magazine a warning to hunters who might come across drug labs while in the woods. The news papers are full of incidents that an unsuspecting individual might come up on. Weirdos or criminals whats on their mind and what are they doing? Paranoid no cautious yes in the woods or the parking lot.

icon_cool.gif One hides a thing too close for the person seeking it to find. icon_confused.gif

Drug Labs are a very real problem in the desert! Always be aware of what's going on and turn back if necessary. icon_frown.gif

However, having said all that, I have yet to come upon an active Drug Lab in 20+ years of back contry travel.

I always figured that holding the GPSr to my ear and saying something like "Roger I copy your recieving these pictures, offiecer Jones" would help. icon_biggrin.gif

Couple of thoughts.

I've never woried about a human problem probably due to the fact that I'm a guy and don't normaly take a vagina with me when I'm alone < sorry it's a rip from a Paula Poundstone joke> For night caches one of my BFL's is a 5 cell mag. I figure if a cop thinks it'll work up-side-the-head it's ok for me ;o)

I did however have a dangerus incedent recently but it was due only to my own stupidity.

I was night caching with only one light. I had no info for the cache just the waypoint in my gps, and a cell phone to a friend sitting at her computer <Thanks Goofy!>. Coverage was spotty as usual. I found the cache 120 meters from my car as the gps flies. while filling out the log my gps was having a hissy and beeping cause of "poor coverage" so I turned it off. I finnished the log and put the cache away. I must have put my brain and common sence in the cache too cause from then on it was dumb thing after another. I had seen a trail that I was sure had been made by other cachers bushwacking in from the street so I followed it. it ended and I pushed a bit more hopping It would pop out on the street. I turned my gps on hoping to find the street 10 feet away. for some unkown reason I never let it aquire. I just paged to the track view and tried to figure out how far I was. I had driven past on the road with it on so I figured all i had to do was find the track from that. pushing another 10 feet I gave up and turned around.!!! or did I crap where did the trail go??????

Long story short. I was lost! if I could maintain a straight line the max distance I could walk before finding a trail that would get me out <I mean those bark mulch things> was 200 meeters the closest was about 75 feet, Road was 200 feet. Yup totaly lost in a rectangular box surounded by trails 300 meters by 120 meters. lol As I stubornly pushed my way to the street I realised that this was the only smart direction for me to go. The cell had died, the gps wouldn't lock, but I could just barly tell which direction cars were going by . I hit roadside 30 ft from my car with 3 scratches on my eyelids a grase on my inner thy from a broken stick that I jumpped down onto, and a sore ankle from a step down from a log that turned out to be a 6 foot drop. Had I managed to hurt myself badly my body would have been found..... eventual cause someone did know what cache I was looking for but the people that would notice that I was missing would not think to ask them for most of a day if not longer. So they wouldn't know to tell anyone to look for me

So don't be stupid carry a compass ;o) and lookk at it once a while. And even if I had never looked at it I could have figured out from my gps what direction I needed to go even if it didn't know And don't bushwack ever but espeshialy at night.

Sorry that was so long

Pat Patterson

Garmin 12XL

Some have graceland, some have mecca. We have the side of a gravel road in Oregon.... How did we get to be the better off?