Newbie with etiquette question.

Hi Everyone,

I've been reading these forums for months now and I really like what I see. I bought a GPS and have decided to join you all and hang around a bit if that's okay.

I went on my first hunt this past weekend and I didn't find the cache. We (my husband and I) ran into a skunk. Walked around a big bush and there he was! Not 8 feet from us! We ran away.

I wanted to go back and continue searching but my husband wouldn't come with me. He just stood by the car waving a big stick and yelling "I'll hit it with this!"

My question is this: Are "not found" logs on someones cache page not cool? I don't plan on leaving one for this particular cache because I'm going back, I'm sure the skunk is gone by now, and I plan on searching until I find it.

So I'd like to know how cache placers feel about those "not found" logs on their cache page.

I'm fairly new myself but I'd say you should only post a not found log if you searched a considerable time, were sure you were in the right area and could not find the cache. If you want to post about your experience with the skunk you could do it as a Note.

Or you could just wait until you go back and find the cache, then when you log your find you can explain that this was your second attempt and tell the skunk story.

smile02.gif If ignorance is bliss, why aren't there more happy people??

I think as long as you tell the whole story, it's prefered that you do log it.

This story of yours serves two purposes.

• Warns future seekers that there may be skunks in the area, so use a little caution.
  • Gives us all a good belly laugh visualizing your husband, cowering by the car, and waving a stick in an almost threatening manner.

If it were my cache, I would SO want you to post that story. If I were your husband though, I might not. icon_wink.gif

--- Two paths diverged in a wood, and my... my GPSr pointed dead center between them. ---

I think as long as you tell the whole story, it's prefered that you do log it.

This story of yours serves two purposes.

• Warns future seekers that there may be skunks in the area, so use a little caution.
  • Gives us all a good belly laugh visualizing your husband, cowering by the car, and waving a stick in an almost threatening manner.

If it were my cache, I would SO want you to post that story. If I were your husband though, I might not. icon_wink.gif

--- Two paths diverged in a wood, and my... my GPSr pointed dead center between them. ---

in your case, you were chased off before you even looked so a note might be better. I have done this with a couple of caches. One was in a thick growth of posion ivy so I bailed early. The second was off the trail, the hint warned of rattle snakes and I had my kids so we skipped it. I did go back to number 2 and the kids waited on the trail. I found the cache and just deleted my origional note and added a find.

As a newbie I like posts of no find as they often give you hints of what NOT to do.

There is no money involved in number of "found"s or "not founds". If a particular cache presents some challenges that result in an average person not being able to find it, it's nice to see a few purple frowny faces.

On the other hand, if you're anal about keeping a "perfect" record (like I'm sure some people are ... use a note. But certainly, people enjoy reading about things like that happening.

Personally, I respect those people who use the "not found" ... it tells me that they're in this for the fun ... not the fame.

If you went to find it and didn't, post a not found log. If you go back again and find it, then post a new found log. I just did that myself with a cache. I like it when people post not-found logs on my caches, it helps me get a feel for what's going on with the cache, also, if I see a couple not found logs, I may enhance the cheat, or up the dificulty rating. Feedback is good. Both found, and not found.

ummmm....not sure what to say here....so ummm, well errrr, uhhhh, well I guess that's it.

I don't know, I might post this as a note. If you were merely on the trail to the cache, but had not reached the 'search' area, a note seems fine. This way, the funny story is still logged, but no one would think that the cache might be missing.

Obviously, if I had reached the general area of the cache, I would post it as not found.

I recently had my first failed attempt. Part of me wanted not to log it to keep my streak intact. But, I did want to let subsequent cachers know that there was 15" of snow on top of the mountain and maybe others should wait until later in the season to search (of course, later that day someone found it!). Though in your case you didn't get to the actual site, failed finds can also alert the cache owner to a possible missing cache.

....I'm an extreme newbie too (only 1 find...but, only one search too, so I'm batting %1.000!).....and I've found that as I read the logs it's helpful to see the "not found" logs. If for no other reason than to learn from their mistakes or oversights. In addition, if I see a "not found" from an expert geocacher that has 100+ finds, then it helps clue me in that this may not be one I want to try quite yet. Also, I think that if you see a series of "not founds", it will help the owner to possibly determine if it's lost/stolen.

Part of the fun of Geocaching for me is planning the hunt then getting outdoors to enjoy the discovery of new areas and trails. You don't always find the cache for one reason or another but you always have some great experiences to pass along in the log entry. As a cache owner, I enjoy hearing about other people's experiences.

icon_wink.gif

"When you find it, its always in the last place you look."

Part of the fun of Geocaching for me is planning the hunt then getting outdoors to enjoy the discovery of new areas and trails. You don't always find the cache for one reason or another but you always have some great experiences to pass along in the log entry. As a cache owner, I enjoy hearing about other people's experiences.

icon_wink.gif

"When you find it, its always in the last place you look."

YOu only got to the approximate location and didn't have time to really begin searching. If you intend to go back, I would look for it another time and include that in the post. Something like, "We came to look once before, but before we could begin searching, we came across a skunk..."

Just log it like that. I mean, where is the line? What if you decide to do a geocache and you start driving to the area, only to get a flat tire 15 miles away? Should you log that, too? I think if you are within a close proximity, then you should log it. Like one on my record... actually I acdentally submitted it twice, but oh well. icon_eek.gif

YOu only got to the approximate location and didn't have time to really begin searching. If you intend to go back, I would look for it another time and include that in the post. Something like, "We came to look once before, but before we could begin searching, we came across a skunk..."

Just log it like that. I mean, where is the line? What if you decide to do a geocache and you start driving to the area, only to get a flat tire 15 miles away? Should you log that, too? I think if you are within a close proximity, then you should log it. Like one on my record... actually I acdentally submitted it twice, but oh well. icon_eek.gif

I Always post a Not Found for no finds. I post a note to add information. One caution I would bring up. If you have a "No Find" do not automatically assume the cache is missing and post it as such. Many time people have done this with my caches when they are in fact still there. ONLY if you are ABSOLUTELY sure that the cache is missing should you say so. Otherwise E-Mail your suspisions to the cache owner.

In your case either a note or a no-find would do the job. Your choice. "Note: SKUNK! YIKES!"

2573_200.jpg

I use the "Couldn't find it" frowny faces as an indication that:

1. I was unable to find the cache because it took longer and/or was more difficult to find than I had time or skill to invest.

OR

2. After a verythorough search, I am either positive or strongly suspect the cache has gone missing.

If I were somehow prevented from actually searching for the cache, I wouldn't log anything unless the reason was noteworthy. If the search was interrupted long before I would have given up (as in your encounter with the skunk), I would log it as a note.

In every case, I give adequate detail in my logs so others will know why I didn't find it.

Worldtraveler

"Time's fun when you're having flies." - Kermit the frog

For a laugh you might want to read the logs from the first 2 days of this cache. GC51A6

The first day it was available we had a cachers picnic and the hider was touting his new cache. You could see many cachers chomping at the bit as the cache was only about 3 miles away, as it got later in the day you could see different cachers slinking off to try and be the first one...

Thats all I'll say. To see what happened check the logs icon_smile.gificon_smile.gificon_smile.gif

All who look are not lost

For a laugh you might want to read the logs from the first 2 days of this cache. GC51A6

The first day it was available we had a cachers picnic and the hider was touting his new cache. You could see many cachers chomping at the bit as the cache was only about 3 miles away, as it got later in the day you could see different cachers slinking off to try and be the first one...

Thats all I'll say. To see what happened check the logs icon_smile.gificon_smile.gificon_smile.gif

All who look are not lost

Unless you have a dead battery in your driveway definitely post a Not Found. It's all part of the story of the search. I have one cache that I've made 3 attempts at and posted not founds each time. There is no shame in it and gives the cache owner an idea of how hard their cache actually is. The one I had 3 not founds on, was rated a 1 for difficulty at first. After my 3 not founds and several others (only one find out of a total of a dozen or so attempts) the cach owner raised the difficulty level to 2.5.

So posting Not Founds is important, no matter the reason it wasn't found. Not only does it give the cache owner an idea of the real difficulty of the cache, but also makes future hunters aware of the problems you encountered.

I *ALWAYS* post a log if I even so much as start driving for the cache. I view my personal logs as a sort of running autobiographical log of my adventures. If I looked for and couldn't find it, I'll absolutely log a non-find, but if I aborted the search due to extenuating circumstances, I'll log an other.

Looking back at my logs (all of them: finds, non-finds, and others), I get to see all sorts of neat things about myself. I can see my high and low points, and even the times where life conspired against me to keep me from the hunt. It's really fun to see, but if you deprive yourself of the opportunity, it's your own loss... well, and ours, too, I suppose.

Anyway, in the case of a skunk, it's a definite "Other".

Not finding a cache is nothing to be ashamed of. Regardless of difficulty, there are so many factors (weather, brain clouds, motivation, a crowd of people having a picnic) that can keep you from scoring a find - it just isn't a big deal. I've read numerous 'no finds' posted by a local cacher with over 350 finds, some of them on 1/1 caches.

Posting a 'not found' shares important information with the rest of the Geocaching community. Maybe the cache is missing. Maybe there are conditions near the cache that subsequent searchers might want to be warned of (skunks present would definitely qualify!)

Go ahead and post it. Just think how many days you'll brighten with the skunk story.

(and I often use the term 'skunked' when I fail to find a cache. I guess I'll reconsider that choice!)

That about says it all. There is no disgrace in posting a "couldn't find log." They show you were there. Often, they make for terrific reading.

And sometimes, they'll result in one of your local colleagues sending you words of encouragement and perhaps a clue or two. (Someone did that for me when I was a newbie, and it's something I've been known to do every now and then.)

I took a look at my posts today. I have made many 'no find' logs. These basically fall into three categories: 1) The cache appears to be gone. Since my post the cache has either been archived or other cachers have failed to find it. 2) I went back on another day and found it. I've given myself a dope slap for most of these. It seams like I am more likely to not find a 'easy' cache than a hard one. I think this is because I select my search area according to the rating (Its a 1/1, it wouldn't be hidden on the cliff face). 3) C ouldn't find it the first time I looked and haven't yet been able to return to the scene of the crime to look again.

I don't mind posting 'not found' log. In fact, its kind of fun to go back and read my misadventures.

I think the question that some people are getting to, which is a little more subjective, is "What is a search?"

I think many agree that if you've searched for it and couldn't find it, you log a "not found." If I drove up to the parking area and didn't get out of the car because of torrential downpours and/or cranky kids, I consider that a Note. In my book, I can't "not find" something I didn't look for.

Between not getting out of the car and spending an hour looking for the cache with the coordinates less than 30 feet away is a spectrum of subjectivity as to what constitutes a search. I think that can only be decided by the cacher.

Some of my examples:

• Got to the cache parking, went about 0.10 miles of the 0.35 hike, turned around because of cranky kid; Note
  • Got to the cache parking, went about 0.10 miles of the 0.35 hike, turned around because of impenetrable wall of thorns; Not Found
  • Walked 0.35 miles, but in wrong general direction (took wrong path), never got within 0.25 miles of cache; Not Found
The list could go on, but I do think it's an individual consideration. However, definitely post SOMETHING to the affect that you went out on the trail looking for the cache.

Markwell

I am going for the cache again this weekend and will log found or not on the cache page then. I don't feel comfortable logging anything else as I didn't really get the chance to search before Stinky scared us off. I'll mention then that a skunk lives in the area.

I e-mailed the cache owner, and he was very helpful and friendly, very on top of his caches and the surrounding area. Also this cache is still there, because someone else logged a find the same day I was there.

I think I just worry about being a newbie and littering up someones cache page with no finds, because what if a bunch of newbies all did that and some good caches went unsearched for because other cachers saw all the not founds and thought it was missing or something?

I want to do this right, I want to be a good cacher. Even though I have only cached for about 10 minutes, I had a blast. And the skunk...well, he didn't spray me or bite me so even that was exciting. I already love geocaching, I definitely want to get it right.

Thanks again, I'll let you all know what happens, will I find the cache? Will Stinky show up? Will my husband put down the stick?

I agree perfectly with Markwell.

Purring Alien-

Don't be concerned with littering a cache page with 'no finds'. If a few people log a 'no find' the cache owner (usually) will go check on the cache. He will then either post a note that the cache is there (or not).