Who's the most influential member on the forums?

Broncoholics

A great question, and one which I would prefer to answer by "category" rather than overall, because different members of our community have different areas of expertise. In no particular order:

Kerry for his technical knowledge of the GPS system.

Survey Tech for his contributions of surveyor's knowledge to the Benchmarking forum.

Markwell for his historic knowledge and always-helpful "Markwelling" to earlier forum threads.

ClayJar, Warm Fuzzies-Fuzzy and others for sharing their programming knowledge with the new GPX format, pocket queries and so forth.

x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x

Next time, instead of getting married, I think I'll just find a woman I don't like and buy her a house.

quote:
Originally posted by Web-ling:

majicman and UMC icon_eek.gif

Web-ling, I think Upinyachit meant in a good way... icon_wink.gificon_biggrin.gif

______________________________________________________________________________________

So far so good, somewhat new owner of a second/new Garmin GPS V 20 plus finds so far with little to no problem. We'll see what happens when there are leaves on the trees again.

Wow. I'm humbled. I would think that there's a whole long list of people that are influential in these forums. Most important I would think are the new people who don't think "It's always been done this way, so it always should be done this way." Fresh ideas and perspectives make this hobby great.

BTW - I'd rather be know for my additions to the FAQ than Markwelling. icon_wink.gif

Markwell

Chicago Geocaching

quote:
Originally posted by upinyachit:

Who gives the best advice and information on the forums? We have a few members in mind, but we would like to see the opinions of others. Is the answer Jeremy, Markwell, or maybe even Leatherman?

Can't wait to hear these!

Duane

Upinyachit

icon_smile.gif

Our feet go where the caches are! http://home.rochester.rr.com/thehughesfamily7/images/feet.gif

I wouldn't want this to be a testimonial, but when I see a post from 'Criminal' I know it's going to be good.

Of course, you could say the same for Rubbertoe.

Truth is, this is a community effort, all have their contribution. Let's give Magicman a break, he/she's a hoot!

Bluespreacher

"We've got the hardware and the software, the plans and the maps ..." -- Citizen Wayne Kramer

I don't think naming names here is fair to everyone... there are MANY folks who have provided help here for days, weeks, and months - if not even longer than that.

I know that if I were trying to be helpful all the time, I'd be a little saddened if I didn't see my name at least mentioned here. Of course, I've never really been accused of being terribly friendly or helpful... but I'm sure there are folks out here who think they've done a great deal of good, but might not be mentioned at all here in this list. icon_frown.gif

flag.gif

The Toe Pages

influential doesn't necessarily mean helpful. I like the thread and don't too many feelings would be hurt if a name wasn't on the list.

I'm still trying to figure out who is influential.

______________________________________________________________________________________

So far so good, somewhat new owner of a second/new Garmin GPS V 20 plus finds so far with little to no problem. We'll see what happens when there are leaves on the trees again.

This is a slightly off topic - but I'm on many forums (HDTV, Palm, DVD, etc.) but this is one of the friendlinest and most informative forums I've been in. I can name many members who have been influential for me and to whom I'm indebted for many insights.

Now if only Christmas will get here so I can start playing with my toy! Aaargh!

I've been caching for over a month now and I've found the forums to be an invaluable source of pertinent information. Turns out that most of the best posts that I've read have been written by the very people who responded to this thread so far (before me that is)...and a few others who have not yet (but I won't name names icon_biggrin.gif).

Overall, I don't think it's possible or fair to single out one specific 'influencial' person on the forums. Many contributors from various backgrounds have provided me with insightful and helpful perspectives.

Of course, there are some 'staple' posters around here and maybe they are the most 'popular' in that sense, not necessarily the most 'influencial'.

A cache a day keeps the blues away...

Does that entail the ability to sway opinion? I don't think I've ever seen that happen in this forum.

People come in with their opinions, they say their piece, then leave with their opinions.

Now there are the people who approve the caches and that power gives them ability to sway the direction of the game, but otherwise I don't think there is anyone who fits the description.

george

39570_500.jpg

Pedal until your legs cramp up and then pedal some more.

quote:
When did this become a beauty contest?

quote:
This is not politics either.

How could anyone get that out of this thread?

I asked what members give the most influence on the forums and has great knowledge to share. No one said it was a contest of any kind. Just like in any other sport, we have our favorite players that influence the outside world. When I posted the question, I thought I would get answers like this...

quote:

A great question, and one which I would prefer to answer by "category" rather than overall, because different members of our community have different areas of expertise. In no particular order:

Kerry for his technical knowledge of the GPS system.

Survey Tech for his contributions of surveyor's knowledge to the Benchmarking forum.

Markwell for his historic knowledge and always-helpful "Markwelling" to earlier forum threads.

ClayJar, Warm Fuzzies-Fuzzy and others for sharing their programming knowledge with the new GPX format, pocket queries and so forth.

I am not trying to justify my post or my thoughts,

but I know we all have someone on the forums that, whenever they post, you read it. If Jeremy or Markwell did a post, I am pretty sure we all would read that post first before you would read a post by a newbie. Don't get me wrong, newbies are fine, we all have been there, but there are members out there who have made great contributions to this sport and I wanted to remind them as such.

Duane

Upinyachit

icon_smile.gif

Our feet go where the caches are! feet.gif

I hear/know where your coming from Upinya, I've still been pondering over who I think is the most influential. Every time I come up with someone its me so then I have to start over. icon_biggrin.gif

I would have to say that when I started here the names that stood out to me were:

brdad (posted a lot so I figured he was like me icon_smile.gif)

Rubbertoe (especially since he came to my aid in a flame war)

Eeyore/Shadow (because I was never sure if he was a boy or girl until I asked icon_wink.gif)

CachewNut (for sending me on a 'dangerous' adventure)

dboggny (I guess its the pc thing to do to be nice to NYC cops)

The Leprechauns (this man always has something good to say)

Planet (she gets the coolest chic award)

drum-organ (has a hot wife)

Opey One (has a hot wife)

Criminal (says funny stuff)

Acceptable Risk (says funny stuff)

Brian Snat (has his opinions and knows what they are, this is a good thing)

MrSnazz (boy have I changed my mind about that one icon_wink.gif)

Centaur (for his words on the Garmin GPS V)

and what the heck; Leatherman (for well, being leatherman)

Now the list has grown since then and I would have to it quite a bit but all in all this is a great community with a bunch of influential people whose opinions all have value and merit.

Please excuse any spelling mistakes, I'm the worlds worst speller.

[This message was edited by umc on December 19, 2002 at 05:50 AM.]

That's a great list, umc. We can always count on you to steer a thread back on topic. icon_biggrin.gif

I'm surprised nobody has mentioned JamieZ yet. This long-time, prolific forum poster stands out as a "geocaching purist," for his opinions about various issues. He is also very helpful to newbies, and his stories are funny.

x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x

Next time, instead of getting married, I think I'll just find a woman I don't like and buy her a house.

Then its the old timers here. Its Markwell, and ClayJar, and Brokenwing, and all the others that hashed out the cache ratings system that you use now. Its Jeremy and Mike Teagues, who took this from an obscure usenet newsgroup to the World Wide Web. It's the early cachers, who dragged out reporters on cache hunts, so they could go back and do the news stories on geocaching that brought most of you here. It's even crotchety old Dave Ulmer, for hiding those beans in the bucket in the 1st place. It's all the people in the forums over the years, who have fleshed out the rules of the game we all love. It's everyone here NOW who continue to think up new features, new variations, and yes, even new rules, so we can keep enjoying the sport.

I don't know what the deal with trying to name just a few people is, but for me, every single person who posts here, every single person who hides or finds a cache, has influenced geocaching.

Tae-Kwon-Leap is not a path to a door, but a road leading forever towards the horizon.

Too much time on my hands at 3:00am in the morning?!? Are you kidding me?

I like to think of myself as very good at making the best use of my time as possible. Very efficient with my time. Maybe tomorrow I will take a pic down the barrel of one of my many guns and use it as an avatar. Yes thats what I will do.

Originally posted by umc:

Too much time on my hands at 3:00am in the morning?!? Are you kidding me?

You are up pretty early or you are up pretty late, U.....

Why am I up at this time of the morning you ask U?Dog got me up. He wanted to go out to pee pee and "stuff". icon_mad.gif So now, here I am talking with you in the middle of the night/morning. icon_confused.gif

ArchieDH

ps. Tell the little lady I said hello, U. icon_biggrin.gif

quote:
Originally posted by leatherman:

quote:
Originally posted by georgeandmary:

much have too much

And kudos to you for nearly 1300. icon_biggrin.gif

My activity on the local california forum throws the number WAY off. I think we have the logest active thread at something close to 50 pages worth.

george

39570_500.jpg

Pedal until your legs cramp up and then pedal some more.