ADVICE, TAKE OR LEAVE IT

PEANUTS

I'M ALMOST 78 AND NOT AS SPRY AS I WAS YESTERDAY icon_smile.gif. I HAVE A CANE COLLECTION AND FORTUNATELY DON'T NEED TO USE IT BUT AFTER HAVING TO KNOCK SPIDERS AND THEIR WEBS OUT OF THE WAY EVERY TIME I GO CACHING I DECIDED THAT TAKING A CANE WITH ME ALLOWS ME TO PUSH ASIDE THE WEBS AND SPIDERS. ALSO I CAN POKE INTO HOLES AND UNDER BRUSH. ALSO IT COULD PROVIDE POTECTION AGAINST SNAKES AND OTHER VARMINTS. A CANE OR A WALKING STICK COULD BE A USEFUL TOOL TO TAKE ON HUNTS. ALSO NOW THAT THE EAST NILE VIRUS (OK BUT I BET IT'S ON THAT SIDE OF THE RIVER TOO) BE SURE AND USE A LOT OF THE REPELLENT.

Only a foolish person goes into mosquito country without repellant. Didn't you want to enjoy your walk???

I love my walking stick, and I'm a relatively "spry" 35. It is an Orvis brand, seven piece stick that is 6.5 feet tall. I've found it important to have a stick longer than you are tall. This one also breaks down into seven pieces, and an elastic cable runs through the whole thing so that the pieces stay together. Putting it together requires one snap of the wrist. As a kid, I always found a stick with a few branches attached that I would wave around in front of my face to knock down the webs that always seemed to cross the paths I hiked.

It's a game folks..........

quote:
Originally posted by Irvingdog:

It is an Orvis brand, seven piece stick that is 6.5 feet tall. I've found it important to have a stick longer than you are tall. This one also breaks down into seven pieces, and an elastic cable runs through the whole thing so that the pieces stay together.

I could only find a 59" version on the internet.

092-1802L5SF.GIF

Preperation, the first law to survival.

39197_400.jpg

Actually PEANUTS lives right down the road from us and when he says there are spiders and their webs, he aint just a whistling dixie! We carry our homemade walking sticks with us most of the time mainly because of this. As mentioned, they can sure come in handy for other things as well.

quote:
Originally posted by MTBguy:

What happened to the post made by "Fuzzies" about caps lock?

Boy it must be nice to have absolutely nothing to worry about. If this is the best you can do I think you fit into this category.

Mike

Never forget, It's just a game.

quote:
What happened to the post made by "Fuzzies" about caps lock?

Just a thought here. Maybe im the only one that feels this way, but wouldnt it be cool to see one thread go by without someone replying in a negative manner??? For goodness sakes, to complain about something like this,,

I have an elm walking stick that is nice because it is light weight, tough, and really cheap. The replacement will be apple, as soon as it cures a while. I love finding someone trimming trees! icon_biggrin.gif Besides, when I finish them, myself, I get a great fit!

icon_eek.gif Fat, drunk, and stupid is no way to go through life, son!

Good advice, many use walking sticks BUT

PLEASE DON'T YELL

It is better to use all lowercase then to use all caps!!!!

----(sig line)---> Did you ever do any trail maintainence? - if so you will know that all but the most worn trails need continuous maintenance to prevent mother nature from reclaiming it. herd paths are quickly reclaimed - k2dave

quote:
Originally posted by k2dave:

Good advice, many use walking sticks _BUT_

PLEASE DON'T YELL

Why do you bother to complain about those who type in all-caps? Is it physically harming you? Do you think its somehow cute to constantly remind everyone that "caps is considered yelling"?

When someone types an entire entry in caps, it is clear that they are not yelling. Anouther tip that they are not yelling is the lack of an amazing thing - the exclamation point. If you've never seen one, forgive me, I understand that there are those who have never beheld this modern marvel. I might loose my job for this, but here's what one looks like:

!

If you see one of those at the end of a sentence, you should mentally add emphasis to that sentence. The effect is cumulative, so if you see more than one, add more emphasis.

snazzsig.jpg

SENDS ALL OF HER E-MAIL, AND PREFERS TO RECEIVE ALL OF HER E-MAIL IN CAPS. SHE IS NEAR BLIND, AND THE CAPS ARE EASIER FOR HER TO SEE, BOTH READING AND TYPING.

IT COULD BE THAT THE PERSON YOU ARE COMPLAINING ABOUT IS ALSO NEAR BLIND. BUT THEN AGAIN, MAYBE YOU THINK THAT IS FUNNY TOO. HE DID NOT SPECIFY, BUT PERHAPS THAT CANE IS WHITE.

JMHO.

Mike. KD9KC.

El Paso, Texas.

Seventeen minutes after her FIRST call for help, police officers arrived to find Ronyale White dead.

Prohibiting self defense is the ultimate crime. Police carry guns to protect themselves. What protects YOU ???

But I inherited it from my now deceased father-in-law, who had friends that worked for Orvis. Perhaps it was a special order. He was that kind of a guy........

I like caps. I've seen lots of people complain about the use of caps in the past, but it is a pretty silly thing to argue about. My buddy is also dealing with poor eye sight. The caps help him to.

There was an earlier thread about this. In that thread, I mentioned my stick. It is a stick that I found green near a beaver dam. The industrious little guy had stipped it clean of bark and braches. I polied it an epoxied a brass fitting to the business end.

I love that stick. Unfortunately, I almost never bring it with me (because I am dumb).

Please don't flame me for mentioning the old thread.

BTW, it does irritate me when I see a post in all caps. I almost mentioned this when I first saw the thread. While I'm thinking about it, I don't have a problem with people who politely mention that it is bad form to post in all caps. I believe that it is much more rude to jump all over them.

I complained about all caps for different reasons.

The 1st is that the OP poster is new to the board and might not realize that all caps means yelling (EVEN W/O the !)

2nd for many people especially people with dyslexia all caps is very hard to read.

If you have trouble reading the screen (due to poor vision) you can adjust font or screen size.

Also most people who I've encountered that use all caps are doing so because they don't want to deal w/ the shift key.