Grounds for divorce?!?!

Ok here's the scenario:

It's my mother-in-laws birthday in a few days so my wife and father-in-law are taking her camping for 6 days. I'm not going becuase of work and because.....well, it's my mother-in-law :-)

Anyway, after helping them pack and sending them off I come to see that she took the GPS with her so she could do a few caches with her parents while she was gone. icon_mad.gif Problem is that we only have the one GPS so now I can't hunt for 6 days!!

The question that I place to you my friends is this:

Should I be happy that she may get her parents hooked on geocaching, too? OR

Should I leave her a "Dear Jane" letter explaining that nobody in their right mind would do that to a loved one?

quote:
Originally posted by sbell111:

Alternatively, you can try your hand at geocaching without a GPSr.

I COULD but that would mean I'd have to do some actual work instead of relying on the GPSr!

Besides, not staring down at the GPSr on the trails may make me look up and appreciate all the beauty of the area around me.....can't have that. icon_wink.gif

Team 360: I have a good friend in Phoenix that I told about geocaching and I'm trying to get him started on it.....

What do you think about me giving you the coords to his house as a virtaul cache? You'd have to knock on his door and post a picture of yourself with him to qulaify as a 'find'! icon_biggrin.gif

quote:
Originally posted by Eeyore and Shadow:

Just get another GPSr, one is never enough anyway. And when she comes home imagine how happy she will be that she now has her own so there is no bickering on the trail as to who is going to hold it.

Yeah, but then she'll she how cool my new one is and she'll have to get a new one, too!! (We're using an old Magellan 2000 right now)

quote:
Originally posted by Team Tecmage (R&T):

Get a yellow Etrex or Mag 300 or 310.

I've been thinking about the Magellan SportTrak just becuase I'm already familiar with the Magellan interface.....do you have an eTrex? That's the other one I've been considering but haven't really looked into it much yet....

BTW, I love your picture! I cache with my wife and 4-1/2 year old daughter and love the family time.

quote:
Originally posted by Kealia:

quote:
Originally posted by Team Tecmage (R&T):

Get a yellow Etrex or Mag 300 or 310.

I've been thinking about the Magellan SportTrak just becuase I'm already familiar with the Magellan interface.....do you have an eTrex? That's the other one I've been considering but haven't really looked into it much yet....

BTW, I love your picture! I cache with my wife and 4-1/2 year old daughter and love the family time.

Thanks on the picture- it was one of our Christmas card photos. Tracy and I bought a Etrex Legend when we started Geocaching. We bought a basic Etrex last year before we sent our Legend in for a overhaul. We Geocache with both units. The Etrex doesn't have some of the fancier features of the Legend, but it is very easy to use. We use ExpertGPS and we upload waypoints to both units with no trouble.

I mentioned the Mag 300 or 310 because we occassionally see them at stores. If I could find a new one cheap enough ($50-60), I might buy it and put it in a new cache, or use it for a while as a back-up to the back-up.

quote:
Originally posted by Caching In:

$$$ for a new GPSr, that will teach her a lesson she won't too soon forget! OOPS! Got to go, wife walking into room.....AAAHHHH...Honey, I'm sorrrrryy........

I just heard a loud THUMP...THUMP...THUMP followed by a very low, gutteral groaning!

I am concerned about all the crying and whimpering coming from the North East.

Just above me, a Flight-for-Life helecopter is rushing that direction. A primal scream is heard and the helo turned around...

GEOCACHER DOWN...GEOCACHER DOWN!!!

Quick!! Get me an ammo box and a McToy!!

Lend me your ear while I call you a fool.

http://coloradogeocaching.com/

I may get groaned off by the guys. icon_rolleyes.gif But if my husband went out and bought a $300 dollar GPS, without talking it over with me, I would have a few choice words for him. We go together and take our two girls with us. (10 months and 3 1/2 years) We have a Garmin 76, and we have been taking turns using it. I would talk it over with your wife, As much as I love GeoCaching, I love my husband more and would work it out, before I divorced him over it.

quote:
Originally posted by The Gowen Family:

I may get groaned off by the guys. icon_rolleyes.gif But if my husband went out and bought a $300 dollar GPS, without talking it over with me, I would have a few choice words for him. We go together and take our two girls with us. (10 months and 3 1/2 years) We have a Garmin 76, and we have been taking turns using it. I would talk it over with your wife, As much as I love GeoCaching, I love my husband more and would work it out, before I divorced him over it.

Yikes, this was intended all in good fun. I'm not actaully going to divorce her over taking the GPSr.....unless of course she took my compass and topo maps, too!

We try to divide the "holding" time when using our GPSr but I usually end up with it about 90% of the time. Seems my wife's body is weird and makes the GPSr go crazy.... WAIT, that didnt come out right, her body is just fine icon_smile.gif. I still cant figure out why it wont cooperate with her though! icon_eek.gif

Itold my wife - Red - about this thread. I suggested I would just go buy myself a new top of the line gps. I got "the look" and a few choice words about having two already.

The words I can get over.

Never ignore "the look".

logscaler.

(ps) She is not looking over my shoulder now. I need to get some "mad" money somewhere. That metal detector idea just might be the trick. gotta go, she is comming back. post . post . dadgum, not fast enough.

quote:

dadgum, I did it all wrong when my wife came home with a 'gift' and I had to install the new $400 dishwasher she had bought. That was before geocaching...

quote:

<heh> Yeah. Groan.

I'll spend $400 on anything I want and no discussion is necessary. Just like when she drops $400 at Victorias Secret without discussing it with me. My money is my money. Her money is her money. Being married doesn't mean you have to share a checking account, savings account, or any other finances.

Married people who can't be individuals too is a big pet-peeve of mine.

icon_smile.gifI might feel that way if I had a job too, but since I stay at home with the girls. I feel it's our money. I think it is important to have hobbies, while right now we can afford my hobbie(Horses), we do support my husbands hobbies( Computers, Comic Books) I have to say that I have gotten to be and additic on GeoCashing, and am glad that it can be a fammily hobby.

We are a one GPS two person family. Sometimes I go by myself, sometimes the two of us together. Occasionally Mike even goes without me or the GPS (on his way home from work). He's found about a dozen that way.

Till a voice, as bad as Conscience, rang interminable changes

On one everlasting Whisper day and night repeated -- so:

"Something hidden. Go and find it. Go and look behind the Ranges --

"Something lost behind the Ranges. Lost and waiting for you. Go!"

Rudyard Kipling , The Explorer 1898

I agree with the buy another GPS thing. I introduced my boyfriend and son to caching and got tired quick of everyone trying to look at the GPS at once. So, I bought yellow etrex's for both of them for X-mas. That worked quite well. Now they can cache without me, and when we cache together, there is no concern about anyone hogging the GPS!

Oh! and multiples can be cool because now they have Garmin and I use a Magellan. We often end up in different places when seeking a cache. That makes the finding more interesting (not necessarily easier as you might think).

pokeanim3.gif

quote:
So what happens when we get divorced and we have to split the GPSrs? Who gets the newer one???

Ha! I'm a lawyer, but love the fact that my job (NE Supreme Court) doesn't allow me to give clear outside legal advice! So... ask the divorce lawyer! BUT, geeze.. personal and non-legal opinion only... don't divorce over a GPS! icon_smile.gif

pokeanim3.gif

I have no wife but the idea of a second GPSr is great. Just can't justify the expense to myself. But if mine died I would be hurting. Maybe I should go buy a new one before I need it just so I will never be without. And I could keep one in each vehicle that way.

But back to the original question - just go by another GPSr. If she asks any questions you can blame us. We can all come to your defense.

Gosh - I guess I've got it worse than other women. Back when my husband and I first started geocaching, I was getting out of the truck and the gps came out with me accidentally and fell on the ground and broke the screen. I sent it back to Garmin (which repaired it under warranty because I was honest about the mishap) and that same day of shipping it out, I had to go buy another one locally because I could not go the weekend without having a gps and caching.

Now, am I the ideal wife or what?

"Nice find! I must go tell Harry, Ron and Hermione."

My wife and I have a spending limit of $100 before qwe have to consult one another. Naturally, we occasionally creep over this limit. I bring this up because I recently bought 8 yellow eTrexes on eBay for groomsmen gifts. Each was well under my limit. You maybe able to locate an inexpensive base model GPSr to use as a second unit and not cause any waves.

GeoGryffindor- That was very unlucky. I can't count the number of times I've dropped my 3+ with no real damage. Once, I slipped and 'caught' myself with the hand holding the GPSr. The screen-side smashing into a rock. Luckily, no damage.

Kealia,

I think you should count yourself fortunate that your wife enjoys caching with you.

I'm engaged, and worried about taking my future to her first cache hunt because I'm afraid she wouldn't like it and we'd have to call the whole thing off.

Maybe the guy was upset about the $400 at victoria secrets because she wasn't wearing it for him...

I wasn't sure I would like it the first time I went, but I said what the Heck. You at least have to try something first to find out if you like it or not. I would suggest it to your fiance and go from there. If she was willing to let you have your hobbies, then go for it. My husband has a small fourtune in computer stuff and comic books. He still buys comic books and computer stuff, and we have been married for five years.